Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

6 hours ago, broodje kip said:

He died for real on the pitch??

I looked into that a while ago and in defence of St John that Fulham player was apparently a bit of a shit so St John sorted him. He caught him with a right first, then missed with the left hook and it looks like it’s a good job he did. Probably just about a red card in those days but I particularly like how no one seems overly bothered about the player lying unconscious on the floor, no doubt we wouldn’t have to wait too long for someone to come on with the magic sponge though.

7 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

I'd like to beat Palace tonight, just so the pounding on Saturday is a little less raw and sore. 

No idea who’s pounding you Saturday mate as you’re playing on Sunday 😂😂

Never mind... Sunday is going to be painful. 

Absolutely embarassing performance, no effort from anyone but Shaw, Henderson had to save us at the end and to be honest if they'd have scored it, I wouldn't have been anymore annoyed than I already am, I didn't think we could be worse than we were in the first half, but by God they found a way to do exactly that in the second. I found myself genuinely pissed off at Ole for the first time in a long time due to his lack of action 70 minutes into match where we had created Jackshit, Im wondering what he actually said to them at half-time if he said anything at all, to make them less inventive and less intensive. 

Martin Tyler making excuses like there being no crowd (despite it being at Selhurst Park, but sure) and lack of visibility due to the mist, Jesus Christ unless Palace players all had de-misting goggles on then I don't get that excuse either, might be time for Mr Tyler to hang up the mic or lay off the space cakes. 

Anyway ultimately this match doesn't shit in the grand scheme of things, the Leagues over, but the manner of it has got me confused af. 

48 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Never mind... Sunday is going to be painful. 

Absolutely embarassing performance, no effort from anyone but Shaw, Henderson had to save us at the end and to be honest if they'd have scored it, I wouldn't have been anymore annoyed than I already am, I didn't think we could be worse than we were in the first half, but by God they found a way to do exactly that in the second. I found myself genuinely pissed off at Ole for the first time in a long time due to his lack of action 70 minutes into match where we had created Jackshit, Im wondering what he actually said to them at half-time if he said anything at all, to make them less inventive and less intensive. 

Martin Tyler making excuses like there being no crowd (despite it being at Selhurst Park, but sure) and lack of visibility due to the mist, Jesus Christ unless Palace players all had de-misting goggles on then I don't get that excuse either, might be time for Mr Tyler to hang up the mic or lay off the space cakes. 

Anyway ultimately this match doesn't shit in the grand scheme of things, the Leagues over, but the manner of it has got me confused af. 

Bet you’ll be the team to end Man City’s winning run now, that’s how football works 😬

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bet you’ll be the team to end Man City’s winning run now, that’s how football works 😬

Won’t happen. If there’s any team would do that, it has to be Chelsea

1 minute ago, broodje kip said:

Won’t happen. If there’s any team would do that, it has to be Chelsea

You’ve spelt Newcastle wrong.

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we did, cause it has happened before, that said City do look unbeatable right now, sad thing is a draw will be a great result for us. 

7 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we did, cause it has happened before, that said City do look unbeatable right now, sad thing is a draw will be a great result for us. 

I wouldn't be surprised either. City are just about to play 4 games in 10 days , something has to give. 

Whilst the league looks over it would be gutting to go out of the CL and FA Cup  within the next 5 games. Price you pay for being in ALL competitions. 

I do wonder if Pep's drive to win everything has cost him/us doing better in Europe. It's no surprise when a team practically gives up on one or both domestic cups that they do better when gunning for the League or the CL. 

25 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

I wouldn't be surprised either. City are just about to play 4 games in 10 days , something has to give. 

Whilst the league looks over it would be gutting to go out of the CL and FA Cup  within the next 5 games. Price you pay for being in ALL competitions. 

I do wonder if Pep's drive to win everything has cost him/us doing better in Europe. It's no surprise when a team practically gives up on one or both domestic cups that they do better when gunning for the League or the CL. 

It's a easier decision when the squad is so good. Players able to play in multiple positions. No need for an out and out centre forward in the majority of games. It's scary the quality he has. 

Maybe, he could of played the kids in domestic cups but he seems to rotate well when needs be. Domestic treble this year again would be incredible considering the schedule. But, I'm guessing you'd give that all up for one CL triumph?

22 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

It's a easier decision when the squad is so good. Players able to play in multiple positions. No need for an out and out centre forward in the majority of games. It's scary the quality he has. 

Maybe, he could of played the kids in domestic cups but he seems to rotate well when needs be. Domestic treble this year again would be incredible considering the schedule. But, I'm guessing you'd give that all up for one CL triumph?

I'm not going to lie, a Champions League win would be great and it's the one thing missing from the City dynasty. 

If the money left tomorrow without City winning a CL it would undoubtedly feel like something was missing. It would also remain a stick for rival fans to beat us with. Although let's be fair, if we did win it that success would not be taken seriously by any rival fans. 

Having said that it's not as important as the media would make out. They obviously have a vested commercial interest in hyping it. Let's be honest though 

- You can win the Champions League having been 4th in your own domestic league the year before (to qualify). 

- You can win the Champions League and in the same season end up outside of the CL qualifying places in your own domestic league. 

Winning your domestic league is the bread and butter and the most important thing to win in my opinion. 

Obviously people will point the finger and say I think that way because City haven't won it but I genuinely believe it and have since before we even played in the competition (and were in the lower leagues). 

Something about calling yourselves champions of Europe when in theory you may never have been champions of your own country. Yeah ok. 

As I say though, what a fantastic commercial revenue generating success so anyone who stands to make some coin from it would have you believe it's the number 1 competition to win. 

Ps, this isn't anti Liverpool, any comarsions are just coincidental. 

15 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

I'm not going to lie, a Champions League win would be great and it's the one thing missing from the City dynasty. 

If the money left tomorrow without City winning a CL it would undoubtedly feel like something was missing. It would also remain a stick for rival fans to beat us with. Although let's be fair, if we did win it that success would not be taken seriously by any rival fans. 

Having said that it's not as important as the media would make out. They obviously have a vested commercial interest in hyping it. Let's be honest though 

- You can win the Champions League having been 4th in your own domestic league the year before (to qualify). 

- You can win the Champions League and in the same season end up outside of the CL qualifying places in your own domestic league. 

Winning your domestic league is the bread and butter and the most important thing to win in my opinion. 

Obviously people will point the finger and say I think that way because City haven't won it but I genuinely believe it and have since before we even played in the competition (and were in the lower leagues). 

Something about calling yourselves champions of Europe when in theory you may never have been champions of your own country. Yeah ok. 

As I say though, what a fantastic commercial revenue generating success so anyone who stands to make some coin from it would have you believe it's the number 1 competition to win. 

Ps, this isn't anti Liverpool, any comarsions are just coincidental. 

Mate. Who gives a shit what rival fans think. 

You win the champions league for you  not the rival fans. Its bollocks!

I wanted the league title due to the wait, now that's done it's the Champions League nights I live for. I love watching the big European nights, that competition means so much more to me.

I dunno why, maybe because it's not on every week, maybe because each round is the best Vs the best, maybe it's because we've had so many memorable moments or because you don't get a second chance but I absolutely love the CL. 

I wake up CL mornings and I'm buzzing, I'm looking forward to it all day, I'll have "the fields of Anfield road" rattling around in my head all day, I just get totally sucked into Liverpool in Europe. Hardly any PL fixture gets me that worked up, yet in the CL we can be playing anyone and I'm anticipating it. 

We're playing Chelsea tonight in a massive game, I hate Chelsea but I've not gave it much thought. If it was in the CL though it's all I'd be thinking about. I'll likely get a little nervous around kick off and my mood will heavily be impacted by the result but a big part of that is we need a result for more CL nights. 

It's do or die, one off night and the season is potentially over. It's intensive.

I used to love champions league nights years ago as a Newcastle fan, shame we haven’t had any of them nights for a long time though😂

I cannot wait for fans to be back in the stadium though, the “big games” now just don’t feel the same to me. I can only get in to Newcastle matches and I’ve always been someone who watches all football. Hopefully in the not too distant future!

24 minutes ago, Ashez said:

you don't get a second chance

You do though. Lose a game in the CL and there’s still always a chance to turn it around, how many times do you see teams losing the first leg and then still go through on “away goals” (nonsense). Not to mention you get teams losing 3 games in the group stages and can then go on to win the tournament.

It’s meant to be the “premier” European KNOCKOUT event, if you lose a game you shouldn’t still be in it. It should be one leg with the team that gets drawn out first at home all the way through.

7 minutes ago, samhardy said:

You do though. Lose a game in the CL and there’s still always a chance to turn it around, how many times do you see teams losing the first leg and then still go through on “away goals” (nonsense). Not to mention you get teams losing 3 games in the group stages and can then go on to win the tournament.

It’s meant to be the “premier” European KNOCKOUT event, if you lose a game you shouldn’t still be in it. It should be one leg with the team that gets drawn out first at home all the way through.

Obviously I was taking the two legged tie as one match, I agree about away goals though that is nonsense. 

The Group stage is what it is, it's a means to a glorious end. 

54 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I wanted the league title due to the wait, now that's done it's the Champions League nights I live for. I love watching the big European nights, that competition means so much more to me.

I dunno why, maybe because it's not on every week, maybe because each round is the best Vs the best, maybe it's because we've had so many memorable moments or because you don't get a second chance but I absolutely love the CL. 

I wake up CL mornings and I'm buzzing, I'm looking forward to it all day, I'll have "the fields of Anfield road" rattling around in my head all day, I just get totally sucked into Liverpool in Europe. Hardly any PL fixture gets me that worked up, yet in the CL we can be playing anyone and I'm anticipating it. 

We're playing Chelsea tonight in a massive game, I hate Chelsea but I've not gave it much thought. If it was in the CL though it's all I'd be thinking about. I'll likely get a little nervous around kick off and my mood will heavily be impacted by the result but a big part of that is we need a result for more CL nights. 

It's do or die, one off night and the season is potentially over. It's intensive.

Strange to think it was the FA Cup that used to be held in that high regard.

In a few years another competition (European Super League?) could take over that mantle with masses of advertising and pomp and circumstance.

The Champions League would then be like the Championship with second rate teams playing for what was once 'the biggest trophy'

Money trumps heritage for the FAs, TV companies, UEFA and FIFA. The 'spin' they put on these competitions does lure people in but I will always be old school. Win your league then if you beat 'the best' Europe has to offer then that's the cherry on top.

Edited by billy2shots
5 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

In a few years another competition (European Super League?) could take over that mantle with masses of advertising and pomp and circumstance.

It’s different situation though. Euro Super League is a one match competition that means close to nothing while FA Cup, we got about 6/7 matches and sometimes even non-league team got further in the competition 

Just read through the news of todays events at Newcastle.

Nowt surprises me anymore....atleast Ritchie has said what we have all being saying for months. Still it's just another shit show on the road to the Championship. 

13 minutes ago, Woody said:

Just read through the news of todays events at Newcastle.

Nowt surprises me anymore....atleast Ritchie has said what we have all being saying for months. Still it's just another shit show on the road to the Championship. 

Yeah I was going to post it earlier about this, totally forgot. I really hope it doesn’t affect team morale too much, Ritchie is a big character, so this could see people turn against Bruce. I don’t even know what to think anymore, this is just Newcastle all over.

VAR continues to be an absolute joke. 

Man City had a goal diaslowed on Tuesday because of an outstretched arm (that you can't legally score with) but a goal ruled legal when it looked like Jesus's knee was offside. 

Now Werner has just had that goal ruled out as his outstretched arm was a little further outstretched than Robertson's. What the on earth has football come to. 

All to do with the line being taken to shirt sleeves apparently. Well wear short sleeves fellas. 

2 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

Man City had a goal diaslowed on Tuesday because of an outstretched arm (that you can't legally score with) but a goal ruled legal when it looked like Jesus's knee was offside. 

Now Werner has just had that goal ruled out as his outstretched arm was a little further outstretched than Robertson's. What the on earth has football come to. 

All to do with the line being taken to shirt sleeves apparently. Well wear short sleeves fellas. 

if they all wear 'wife beaters' then problem solved

3 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

if they all wear 'wife beaters' then problem solved

Or amputation of the upper limbs?

Dedication to the cause. 

Or play in a straight jacket. 

Pathetic first half that. Over run in midfield and the front three look like they've never met before. We've no intensity or fight and it's unrecognisable. 

Offside is tight and shit but I do think offside in this format is black and white. Hopefully the rule is changed next season though as it is a mess. 

Love it when the commentary give the big at least he's honest statement about Mane, yet if he dived or threw himself to the floor the question of a penalty is asked, the fact he didn't means it's not looked at and that's why players throw themselves to the floor. 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Love it when the commentary give the big at least he's honest statement about Mane, yet if he dived or threw himself to the floor the question of a penalty is asked, the fact he didn't means it's not looked at and that's why players throw themselves to the floor. 

I know, its a lose-lose situation for Mane. I didn't the see the replay of it, so i don't know if there was enough contact, but he was well within his rights to go down there if there was contact.

1 hour ago, billy2shots said:

Since the Var has existed

mancity plays against two opponents at the same time.

remember the semi-final man city vs Tottenham, it's rediculous because the arbitration is zero.🙃

Getting a tad numb to this now, another passive performance. Things look okay but the second we get into the final third we're just blunt. 

59 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

I know, its a lose-lose situation for Mane. I didn't the see the replay of it, so i don't know if there was enough contact, but he was well within his rights to go down there if there was contact.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't a pen but it wasn't looked at as he didn't dive.