• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

7 minutes ago, Woody said:

Ouch! I did something similar. 

Mine tendons shredded....looked like string cheese 😂

Sounds awful mate. Only happened to us as we are elite athletes.

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

I'm still gutted now, one them moments the second it happens you just feel sick. Sucked the joy out of a very enjoyable match. 

The club have announced he's out of hospital and having surgery in the coming days. 

Everyone see Klopp's interview? He was obviously shook up. 

Klopp says it's a dislocation and it was put back in, he also says he knew something was wrong as his foot was facing the wrong way 🤢. I can't handle shit like that not going to lie haha. 

Trying not to get caught up in non official stuff but seen a few people say an ankle dislocation usually also ends with a break due to how the socket is, but all reports just say the dislocation ATM. 

Klopp said against Burnley letting more tackles go will lead to injuries, for once I wish he was wrong but more often than not he's proven right. Burnley kicked the shit out of Elliott and everyone mocked Klopp for moaning, now Elliott is out for who knows how long. A daft needless challenge from behind might have ruined a career that looked incredibly bright. Don't get me wrong I want a contact sport but players need protection and the more that's let go the more they'll push the limits, I agree this was an accidental injury with no intent but it was a rash challenge. 

This time last year we lost VVD and Thiago to disgusting challenges and now Elliott. 

It’s awful, hate seeing stuff like that, makes me feel sick inside. Only going by what Alan Shearer said when he said his knee injuries early on never affected his speed or anything, it was when he done his ankle he had to change his whole game, I hope for Harvey Elliot it isn’t the same, such a great young talent.

I was listening on the radio so haven’t seen it but they did say that Salah went over and had to cover his eyes. I know nothing about dislocated ankles but I know with shoulders it can mean you’re never 100% again and at a very high risk of suffering further dislocations. Obviously the ankle has to take weight much more often than the shoulder but on the other hand that could lead to it getting a better blood supply so just have to hope he can recover ok. He is really young too which must surely give him a good chance. 

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I was listening on the radio so haven’t seen it but they did say that Salah went over and had to cover his eyes. I know nothing about dislocated ankles but I know with shoulders it can mean you’re never 100% again and at a very high risk of suffering further dislocations. Obviously the ankle has to take weight much more often than the shoulder but on the other hand that could lead to it getting a better blood supply so just have to hope he can recover ok. He is really young too which must surely give him a good chance. 

From what I read Elliot went to get up, that's one reason Salah ran at him calling the medics and telling him to stay down. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Susan believe that if he’s dislocated it and they’ve managed to get it back in without any ligament damage then he should be able to make a full recovery.

From what Klopp said it sounds like they popped it back in on the pitch. Suppose we'll know more after his operation.

Sodding well horrible and ruined what was a good game.

I personally don’t like ‘strong challenges’. I hate the leniency of the rules this year. Football is an art to me. If you want physical stuff then go watch rugby. Football being a ‘man’s game’ is such sterotypical tripe, born out of justifying thugs getting to spend time on the pitch with proper footballers.

Just my opinion, of course, but that’s why my favourite ever player is Xavi and not Shawcross.

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

Sodding well horrible and ruined what was a good game.

I personally don’t like ‘strong challenges’. I hate the leniency of the rules this year. Football is an art to me. If you want physical stuff then go watch rugby. Football being a ‘man’s game’ is such sterotypical tripe, born out of justifying thugs getting to spend time on the pitch with proper footballers.

Just my opinion, of course, but that’s why my favourite ever player is Xavi and not Shawcross.

I don’t mind leniency towards a small pull of the shirt etc go, which is what I want as over the last few years you see too many people looking for free kicks. But nasty challenges are horrible and have no place in football, they will always happen unfortunately, maybe a stricter ban needs to be done for them kind of challenges. I don’t think we see bad tackles being let go though? So I don’t think we’ve become lenient to that. Unless I’m wrong.

Tbh i love a good tackle and football is a contact sport and i like the physical side of the game but that doesnt mean i want over the top tackles and players getting ruffed up to scare them.

There has to be a balance but like @Rob said its artistry in how the game is played these days and that needs to be allowed to flourish.

I quite like that Elliott kid. He's got so much potential. As long as the media don't over-hype him he'll be a big player in the future. I hope he makes a full recovery and sets the league alight for years to come.

I have also gained massive respect for him coming out and admitting that it wasn't a nasty challenge but rather a freak accident. He could of easily jumped on the bandwagon and slated the challenge but it shows real signs of maturity to tell the truth. IMO it was never a red card. The card was given for the severity of the injury & not the actual challenge, which is ridiculous. 

I'm delighted that referees aren't penalising every challenge. I think this has been misinterpreted as they're going to let hard tackles go. It seems to be more shoulder to shoulders and players just falling over when breathed on that they're allowing play to carry on (apart from Grealish. Brilliant player but the amount of times he falls over a blade of grass & gets a free kick is absurd) which I'm all for. I like the current rules. Anything wreckless or if you're not in control when attempting a tackle should be dealt with to the letter of the laws but not every hard tackle should be penalised. That's what got me into football. I loved the R9's, Peter Beardsley's an so on but I really enjoyed David Batty and even Roy Keane controlling games with their physicality. Those sorts of players don't exist anymore because players are over-protected. I don't want to see injury after injury because of stupid tackles in games but without any physicality, which is the way things are going, football will be boring. For me anyway.

There will always be players that step over the line and they should be punished but punishing players for making hard but fair tackles will force it out of the game altogether. 

22 hours ago, Dai_ said:

I quite like that Elliott kid. He's got so much potential. As long as the media don't over-hype him he'll be a big player in the future. I hope he makes a full recovery and sets the league alight for years to come.

I have also gained massive respect for him coming out and admitting that it wasn't a nasty challenge but rather a freak accident. He could of easily jumped on the bandwagon and slated the challenge but it shows real signs of maturity to tell the truth. IMO it was never a red card. The card was given for the severity of the injury & not the actual challenge, which is ridiculous. 

I'm delighted that referees aren't penalising every challenge. I think this has been misinterpreted as they're going to let hard tackles go. It seems to be more shoulder to shoulders and players just falling over when breathed on that they're allowing play to carry on (apart from Grealish. Brilliant player but the amount of times he falls over a blade of grass & gets a free kick is absurd) which I'm all for. I like the current rules. Anything wreckless or if you're not in control when attempting a tackle should be dealt with to the letter of the laws but not every hard tackle should be penalised. That's what got me into football. I loved the R9's, Peter Beardsley's an so on but I really enjoyed David Batty and even Roy Keane controlling games with their physicality. Those sorts of players don't exist anymore because players are over-protected. I don't want to see injury after injury because of stupid tackles in games but without any physicality, which is the way things are going, football will be boring. For me anyway.

There will always be players that step over the line and they should be punished but punishing players for making hard but fair tackles will force it out of the game altogether. 

Fundamentally disagree with this. Hard by fair tackles are just a way of masking a lack of talent where it counts. 

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Fundamentally disagree with this. Hard by fair tackles are just a way of masking a lack of talent where it counts. 

Not everyone will agree with me. That's cool. The Internet is full of varying opinions. 

Are you telling me that players like Stam, Vidic, Keane, Vieira, players that enjoyed a hard challenge (not always fair, I'll admit) lacked talent where it counted?

23 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

Not everyone will agree with me. That's cool. The Internet is full of varying opinions. 

Are you telling me that players like Stam, Vidic, Keane, Vieira, players that enjoyed a hard challenge (not always fair, I'll admit) lacked talent where it counted?

I love Keane and Vieira, but their game was built on industry and movement. Stam and Vidic were just thugs; the Ludwig Borgas of football.

33 minutes ago, Rob said:

I’m sorry but are you saying then people shouldn’t slide in for a tackle? If that’s the case then it won’t be football anymore, it’s a footballers mentality to go in for every ball as it’s a mindset of winning. 

Just now, Rob said:

I love Keane and Vieira, but their game was built on industry and movement. Stam and Vidic were just thugs; the Ludwig Borgas of football.

Ohh please they were outstanding defenders, football isn’t all about attacking.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I’m sorry but are you saying then people shouldn’t slide in for a tackle? If that’s the case then it won’t be football anymore, it’s a footballers mentality to go in for every ball as it’s a mindset of winning. 

Ohh please they were outstanding defenders, football isn’t all about attacking.

Football is called the beautiful game for a reason. Not ‘thugs kick one another’. 

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Football is called the beautiful game for a reason. Not ‘thugs kick one another’. 

You remind me of Vinne Jones!

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Do you believe it should be non-contact?

The phrase beautiful game covers what it means to an individual. To me, the beauty is lovely flowing football, a well worked passing move, wonderful individual skill and firm but fair tackling. Add to that, now more than ever an enthusiastic crowd and you have, "The beautiful Game!".

I agree you need a bit of bite and snide but Gerrard became a much better player when Benitez got most of that out his game. Gerrard always said though he loved the roar of the crowd after a big challenge. 

I've said before DMC is one my favourite positions and I've loved the nasty bastards like Mascherano but there is something special about a more technical breaker of play like Fabinho. He's just as destructive if not more without snapping people in half week in week out. 

I don’t particularly mind the physical side of the game but there are limits and I want the bad fouls punished.

I can’t say I’ve got any real problem with teams trying to use physicality to try and gain an advantage. Again, I want the bad fouls punished but I’d also expect my team to be prepared for that kind of battle. I mean, every game is different and I kind of like that.

There wasn't much wrong with the challenge, except that Harvey wasn't really expecting it so he wasn't "set". It wasn't "from behind" as it was ludicrously described earlier. Sad though. Fun fact: i once dislocated my ankle slipping in a puddle. Running for a bus. And it was the wrong bus. Driver saw me and kindly waited for me, i had a look and went "nah mate, you're alright, my mistake". Foot didn't end up the wrong way but hurt a fair bit, and I've probably never regained the athletic prowess i had up to that moment (but that's more because i went off to university soon after and discovered drink and drugs).

Re: the blackout, it is simply 1000% farcical that i could (legally) watch every single Brentford game for the last few years (apart from the stupid cups) and now i can't. Well, obv i can, but i HAVE to do it by streams because there is no actual option otherwise. And that's despite signing up for the local equivalent of Sky for around £20 a month - they show all the televised games plus a 3pm kick-off (Man U last week), but not all (so i couldn't watch us at 3pm last week). My comparison is NBA, where you can buy a package that enables you to watch every single game, or you can buy individual games... it won't be long (surely) until there's such an option for EPL, although i realise the lucrative contracts will be tricky to redefine...

He got sent off on the seriousness of the injury and reaction of the players alone. It’s even pushing it a bit to say it was a “foul”. It was a freak accident, as described by Elliott himself. How can it be right that Klopp can march onto the pitch, have a word with the ref and then a few minutes later the red comes out. To make it worse the appeal was rejected 😳

Just now, Ashez said:

That was fun :D

If only Newcastle had another 10 players 😂. ASM is boss!

Yeah I wasn’t expecting it to come to life as much as it did, so many chances! ASM is so good, he’s got everything, he will be at one of the big Clubs soon enough.

Wow! Matched them up a bit and had some joy. We're going to give them chances playing like this but it's clear to see they are struggling to deal with us. If I wasn't so invested in the match I'm sure I would of enjoyed that half.

Apart from the opening 15mins we have been pretty decent tbf.

ASM has been excellent but we need a change in formation as we have them on the attack.