FMM Vibe
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davis

Off Topic English football

23 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

Not everyone will agree with me. That's cool. The Internet is full of varying opinions. 

Are you telling me that players like Stam, Vidic, Keane, Vieira, players that enjoyed a hard challenge (not always fair, I'll admit) lacked talent where it counted?

I love Keane and Vieira, but their game was built on industry and movement. Stam and Vidic were just thugs; the Ludwig Borgas of football.

33 minutes ago, Rob said:

Fundamentally disagree with this. Hard by fair tackles are just a way of masking a lack of talent where it counts. 

I’m sorry but are you saying then people shouldn’t slide in for a tackle? If that’s the case then it won’t be football anymore, it’s a footballers mentality to go in for every ball as it’s a mindset of winning. 

Just now, Rob said:

I love Keane and Vieira, but their game was built on industry and movement. Stam and Vidic were just thugs; the Ludwig Borgas of football.

Ohh please they were outstanding defenders, football isn’t all about attacking.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I’m sorry but are you saying then people shouldn’t slide in for a tackle? If that’s the case then it won’t be football anymore, it’s a footballers mentality to go in for every ball as it’s a mindset of winning. 

Ohh please they were outstanding defenders, football isn’t all about attacking.

Football is called the beautiful game for a reason. Not ‘thugs kick one another’. 

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

Football is called the beautiful game for a reason. Not ‘thugs kick one another’. 

Do you believe it should be non-contact?

The phrase beautiful game covers what it means to an individual. To me, the beauty is lovely flowing football, a well worked passing move, wonderful individual skill and firm but fair tackling. Add to that, now more than ever an enthusiastic crowd and you have, "The beautiful Game!".

I agree you need a bit of bite and snide but Gerrard became a much better player when Benitez got most of that out his game. Gerrard always said though he loved the roar of the crowd after a big challenge. 

I've said before DMC is one my favourite positions and I've loved the nasty bastards like Mascherano but there is something special about a more technical breaker of play like Fabinho. He's just as destructive if not more without snapping people in half week in week out. 

I don’t particularly mind the physical side of the game but there are limits and I want the bad fouls punished.

I can’t say I’ve got any real problem with teams trying to use physicality to try and gain an advantage. Again, I want the bad fouls punished but I’d also expect my team to be prepared for that kind of battle. I mean, every game is different and I kind of like that.

There wasn't much wrong with the challenge, except that Harvey wasn't really expecting it so he wasn't "set". It wasn't "from behind" as it was ludicrously described earlier. Sad though. Fun fact: i once dislocated my ankle slipping in a puddle. Running for a bus. And it was the wrong bus. Driver saw me and kindly waited for me, i had a look and went "nah mate, you're alright, my mistake". Foot didn't end up the wrong way but hurt a fair bit, and I've probably never regained the athletic prowess i had up to that moment (but that's more because i went off to university soon after and discovered drink and drugs).

Re: the blackout, it is simply 1000% farcical that i could (legally) watch every single Brentford game for the last few years (apart from the stupid cups) and now i can't. Well, obv i can, but i HAVE to do it by streams because there is no actual option otherwise. And that's despite signing up for the local equivalent of Sky for around £20 a month - they show all the televised games plus a 3pm kick-off (Man U last week), but not all (so i couldn't watch us at 3pm last week). My comparison is NBA, where you can buy a package that enables you to watch every single game, or you can buy individual games... it won't be long (surely) until there's such an option for EPL, although i realise the lucrative contracts will be tricky to redefine...

He got sent off on the seriousness of the injury and reaction of the players alone. It’s even pushing it a bit to say it was a “foul”. It was a freak accident, as described by Elliott himself. How can it be right that Klopp can march onto the pitch, have a word with the ref and then a few minutes later the red comes out. To make it worse the appeal was rejected 😳