Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

5 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

With the greatest respect. Scotland is a pub League. A genuine pub league. Going invincible through a league season, especially last season during a pandemic with condensed fixtures is admirable. BUT, I don't want him. The Premiership is a different universe compared to Scotland. I know a lot of managers have come from Scotland and had success (the greatest ever in Sir Alex. As much as I hate them, I can admit that), these are different times. I'd be disappointed if we got Stevie G.

I wouldn't mind Eddie Howe. For now anyway. It seems like he's held out for this job. Give it to him and see what he can do. The one thing I know is, he'll try playing attacking football. I know Bournemouth were relegated under his management but I feel we are better equipped than they ever were. Just my opinion.

Gerrard looks like a very good manager. Maybe he’d be a very good investment? Man City took 4 years before winning their first league title so maybe we can see whether Gerrard is worth the money.

8 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

With the greatest respect. Scotland is a pub League. A genuine pub league. Going invincible through a league season, especially last season during a pandemic with condensed fixtures is admirable. BUT, I don't want him. The Premiership is a different universe compared to Scotland. I know a lot of managers have come from Scotland and had success (the greatest ever in Sir Alex. As much as I hate them, I can admit that), these are different times. I'd be disappointed if we got Stevie G.

I wouldn't mind Eddie Howe. For now anyway. It seems like he's held out for this job. Give it to him and see what he can do. The one thing I know is, he'll try playing attacking football. I know Bournemouth were relegated under his management but I feel we are better equipped than they ever were. Just my opinion.

I think Gerrard has done a great job at Rangers and he commands massive respect in the game on top of that, players will want to come in and play for him. It would give way more of a boost to the players than bringing in Eddie Howe I think personally. Like you said yourself some of the best managers have come across from Scotland. So I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t want him. 

I honestly wouldn’t be happy if we brought in Howe and I don’t know if we’d stay up. 

See Gerrard is the favourite at 4/1 followed by Conte at 5/1.

I really do hope it's Conte but don't know if he would take the job this early in the project. He's passionate and success follows him everywhere.

Gerrard I understand young upcoming manager to front a long term project, fits in with the new owners slowly but surely motto but can he cut it out in the Prem?

The only reason they’d take Eddie Howe is if they were massive Fred Dinenage fans and just wanted to say ‘that’s Howe, for now’

added 0 minutes later
14 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

I really do hope it's Conte but don't know if he would take the job this early in the project. He's passionate and success follows him everywhere.

Gerrard I understand young upcoming manager to front a long term project, fits in with the new owners slowly but surely motto but can he cut it out in the Prem?

Hate the word ‘project’ in this instance. It’s not a project - it’s the world’s wealthiest playing with their new toy. 

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

The only reason they’d take Eddie Howe is if they were massive Fred Dinenage fans and just wanted to say ‘that’s Howe, for now’

added 0 minutes later

Hate the word ‘project’ in this instance. It’s not a project - it’s the world’s wealthiest playing with their new toy. 

I don't exactly see it as that, they've said they won't be pumping ridiculous sums into the club

3 hours ago, broodje kip said:

Hate it until Spurs gets a take over too :P 

Jk, I don’t mind seeing clubs like Newcastle getting new owner. They deserve some success. We’d see if they are really good at managing a club like Mansour and Abramovic did. I’d be grateful to not have owners like Glazers that doesn’t care about the club honestly.

No, I would totally give up on English football if Spurs were bought by Bezos, the Waltons, or some despicable billionaire despot. I've been researching Joe Lewis more as a result of this, and he's got some not technically legal vacation zone for the IDF set up in Patagonia that is fairly weird, but he also doesn't use his money to help Spurs spend beyond their means (or in any other way). 

Framing this as though the Saudi royal family 'cares about' Newcastle is really strange as well. They care about their own reputation and revenue streams once oil money starts to dry up, as they are well aware that tourism is likely what they will need to rely on in the future. Newcastle is being used a vehicle to improve that reputation over the coming decades. 

I get it that Mike Ashley is a fat sack of shit who needed to go, and I know many are celebrating on this basis. But you really couldn't have chosen a more evil replacement (and I know 99.9% of Geordie's wouldn't have chosen them had they the choice). Also, if you're going to choose an owner, it would have to be the Norwegian Wealth Fund, worth 1.4 trillion and significantly less moral baggage. 

Edited by hhooo
1 hour ago, AdamNufc said:

Id be happy with Gerrard. I think Conte is thinking way above out station right now.

There are a ton of quality freebies out there that we can still sign.

If you take a step back and think about it, Ashley took a yoyo club, consolidated them as a Premier League club without wrecking their structure, and has sold them on to the richest owners in the world. I do wonder if the narrative about him may be slightly re-written in time.

I'm really happy for Newcastle fans, had at least 8 years of shit. Now this will knock City and United off their pearch. Newcastle need now to bin Bruce off and get a proper manager in, its proven with Bruce he buys complete shite, yes your the richest club in the world now but you now need to buy sensibly. All the best to you and your fans 

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

If you take a step back and think about it, Ashley took a yoyo club, consolidated them as a Premier League club without wrecking their structure, and has sold them on to the richest owners in the world. I do wonder if the narrative about him may be slightly re-written in time.

We weren’t yoyo team before, we hadn't been relegated I believe for 13 years before he came in and then we got relegated twice with him in 14 years. lm glad he’s out of our club tbh. I’m glad he’s sold up and fought for it though.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

We weren’t yoyo team before, we hadn't been relegated I believe for 13 years before he came in and then we got relegated twice with him in 14 years. lm glad he’s out of our club tbh. I’m glad he’s sold up and fought for it though.

I was just go to say this.

Newcastle weren't a yoyo club at all. Not since the early 90s. We'd been in the Premier league since the second season of its existence.

We were constantly pushing for Europe under Keegan and Sir John Hall, then we flirted with it under Shepard.

There's a really good article on the Athletic about the time before Ashley and then what he's done during his 14 years owning Newcastle.

We became essentially a yoyo club under Ashley.

Yes when he took us over, we would have had a massive problem, spending money on crap we couldn't afford. We may have ended up a lot worse off.

But he still didn't do anything worthy of note, other than put a semi decent ideology of not buying in installments.

Trying having a chairman who sells your land to property developers that effectively means your club is land-locked and beholden to others, then you may realise that Ashley isn’t the worst person to ever grace planet Earth. Compared to lower league football the guy is a saint living in a world of bandits.

The mass over-criticism of him, especially when he’s handed the Toon to riches that Captain Jack Sparrow would yearn for, is unjust and deserves to be re-written, even to the point that I hope a lot of the naysayers pen the guy a letter of apology.

The majority of Barcodes should all raise a giant Sports Direct mug and toast the guy.

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Trying having a chairman who sells your land to property developers that effectively means your club is land-locked and beholden to others, then you may realise that Ashley isn’t the worst person to ever grace planet Earth. Compared to lower league football the guy is a saint living in a world of bandits.

The mass over-criticism of him, especially when he’s handed the Toon to riches that Captain Jack Sparrow would yearn for, is unjust and deserves to be re-written, even to the point that I hope a lot of the naysayers pen the guy a letter of apology.

The majority of Barcodes should all raise a giant Sports Direct mug and toast the guy.

He’s not the worst person to grace earth, you are. 

But seriously I don’t think any of us think he’s the worst person to grace the world just we have been fed up of him for so many years. We all get emotionally attached to the team we support which is why I don’t think any of us can judge supporters from other clubs as it’s there personal feeling. Anger and disappointment has built up over the years and it’s more relief that he’s gone and now excitement that we can have some ambition. 

I have no doubt you’re right about Lower league clubs and I’m sure that’s why you’re upset about that as you’re emotionally attached to that club. 

1 minute ago, Woody said:

Im getting the feeling you aint happy about this mate 😆

Haha I am not unhappy. Just think sometimes we need to think about who we are actually backing. I get that they’re pumping money in to football and the surrounding area, but that money has come from somewhere.

My support of Spurs pretty much dwindled when Lloris got done for drink driving. It’s pretty much died having just read that about Joe Lewis.

I'm in agreement with Newcastle fans in this one, big club, massive fans, week in week out, they flood the gates, year after year, had some great managers and the fans deserve success, salt of the earth fans and always have a beer with them as they understand our situation when we plumperted down the leagues, we sold of ground, players, training facilities, Newcastle were not as bad, but thats not the point, a man that didn't want to put money where his mouth was, bates was the same with us, rich but a spine, piece of shit, good on the Newcastle fans, enjoy your succes, I hope you make United suffer! WAFLL! 

Edited by leedsunited87

I remember few years back, we took nearly 5k fans to st James Park, ok we got battered but after the game we met up with a few toons and had a right laugh, football clubs aside, we are both the same, both love our clubs, I've been a season ticket holder nearly 26 years now, I've seen pretty much everything, and the best fans I've every met, we all know with Newcastle their isn't much going on up there (no offence Newcastle fans) the only thing great for them is the club, so for them it means everything 

Edited by leedsunited87
38 minutes ago, leedsunited87 said:

I'm in agreement with Newcastle fans in this one, big club, massive fans, week in week out, they flood the gates, year after year, had some great managers and the fans deserve success, salt of the earth fans and always have a beer with them as they understand our situation when we plumperted down the leagues, we sold of ground, players, training facilities, Newcastle were not as bad, but thats not the point, a man that didn't want to put money where his mouth was, bates was the same with us, rich but a spine, piece of shit, good on the Newcastle fans, enjoy your succes, I hope you make United suffer! WAFLL! 

But Ashley kept them afloat and passed them to wealth. At least he didn’t get rid of the goldfish.

17 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

If you say so, we're still up there regardless of the amount of oil money that comes to the Premier League.

16 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Russian oil, Sheikh Oil or Bin Salman Oil, it won't matter.

I suppose the Glazier's real estate money isn't being spent in the hundreds of millions in attempts to keep in touch with teams either?

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

I suppose the Glazier's real estate money isn't being spent in the hundreds of millions in attempts to keep in touch with teams either?

I never once defended the Glazers, you're arguing your own point.

But since you asked, I can't stand the Glazers and they are far from saints. In my ideal world they wouldn't be in charge.

I'm glad you got the takeover you wanted, I just don't like who they are and to hear Newcastles LGBTQ+ spokesperson say he is optimistic following the takeover genuinely made me laugh.

Some poor soul was more than likely paid next to nothing to make the t-shirt I’m wearing. Thousands of children risk their lives every day and get paid next to nothing digging for the minerals required to power the device I’m typing this out on. Do I care? Well yes I’d say I do but clearly not enough it would seem.

Plenty stinks in this world and unfortunately we all just turn a blind eye to most of it. It’s at the stage where non of us can even attempt to take the moral high ground.

2 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

If you say so, we're still up there regardless of the amount of oil money that comes to the Premier League.

Midtable mediocrity alongside Spurs, Arsenal and Brentford beckons with Old Granny Solskjaer in charge :D

Genuinely staggered to read "in defence of Mike Ashley..." on here. The guy is clearly a massive c***, you can tell it from literally miles away. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Midtable mediocrity alongside Spurs, Arsenal and Brentford beckons with Old Granny Solskjaer in charge :D

Genuinely staggered to read "in defence of Mike Ashley..." on here. The guy is clearly a massive c***, you can tell it from literally miles away. 

I'm afraid Ole won't be in charge beyond the end of this season, love the guy to bits, but he just doesn't have the skills required, we might limp to one trophy this year at most.

Just now, Aaron Thornton said:

I'm afraid Ole won't be in charge beyond the end of this season, love the guy to bits, but he just doesn't have the skills required, we might limp to one trophy this year at most.

Awww, no fun. I love winding up my Utd mate at work about this - the thought of the Big 4 being managed by Pep, Tuchel, Klopp....... and Ole! is just laughable. The difference is gigantic. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Awww, no fun. I love winding up my Utd mate at work about this - the thought of the Big 4 being managed by Pep, Tuchel, Klopp....... and Ole! is just laughable. The difference is gigantic. 

Sorry for not engaging 😉😂

You're right, its not even close, he can build a team, but he can't tell that team how to play it would seem.

Last year I really gave Ole a pass, because of how messed up last season felt. But he truly is out of his depth.