Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

Wonder if@Rob enjoyed the game now that’s he’s on his 100th leave over my comment just saying he sounded upset about the takeover. Unreal.

But on a genuine  note I think Emery actually did well at Arsenal, I’d take most to be fair 😂

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Wonder if@Rob enjoyed the game now that’s he’s on his 100th leave over my comment just saying he sounded upset about the takeover. Unreal.

But on a genuine  note I think Emery actually did well at Arsenal, I’d take most to be fair 😂

I heard @Rob signed a contract to be a Newcastle fan last night. Fabrizio here we go soon

1 minute ago, broodje kip said:

I heard @Rob signed a contract to be a Newcastle fan last night. Fabrizio here we go soon

I’ll always like Rob but Jesus Christ leaving over a comment like that is mental. Me and you @broodje kiplive off our banter, glad you’ve not left 😂

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Tbh I think it's more important who's spending the money than who's managing the players at this point for Newcastle. 

Yeah we need a director of football in next. Ragnick or Campos been mentioned... We need to pick up some points before January ... Then some investment is very much needed.

Just got to hope that the new guy can keep you lot in touching distance with the rest of the league before January. Think I heard you have 12 games? Could be fairly imbedded into that bottom 3 by that point.

Glad he has gone. Felt abit sorry for him tbh as he was treated shockingly by some(incl myself).

But he wasnt upto the task and hopefully the next appointment can get us moving again.

Won’t be Brucey’s last job. The bloke absolutely loves going to the biggest rival of a club he’s already managed.

Sheff Utd to Wednesday

Birmingham to Villa

Us to Newcastle

Bolton will be his next job probably.

6 hours ago, hhooo said:

We need a tactically inept cabbage head challenge asap

Isn't that any challenge that @Rich does?

Ooh! Shots fired 😎

joking aside, there not much that challenge would do other than only buy players that are not actually needed for your club and literally aim for 17th place in the Premier League.

44 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Curious out of the Newcastle supporters on here @Woody @geordiekrispy @Rich @dai @Scratch  and others I might of forgotten, out of the managers that are looking like getting interviews , Fonseca, Howe , Favre, Martinez , Lampard and Gerrard, who would be your choice?

It's a tough one for me, because of our current situation. Whoever comes in has to be suited to a relegation battle, even if we make some good signings in January. Not sure I really want any of them for that, but then again not sure who I'd want. 

Leaving that aside, not sure Gerrard or Lampard have really proven themselves - they look promising, but I'd probably prefer someone who is more the finished article. Wouldn't be hugely upset if they were appointed though. Probably prefer Gerrard, although being successful with Rangers ain't the same as in the EPL. Lampard seemed fairly good, but Tuchel really took Chelsea to the next level and that's the sort of manager I really want.

Not a Martinez fan I'm afraid. Fonseca and Favre sound good to me, though don't really know that much about apart from what I've read (not that much), but the question I come back to is how would they be with their first experience in England being a relegation battle? They might need a while to implement their vision. So... maybe Howe? 

But I'm feeling pretty conflicted and confused over it unlike any previous appointments where I had stronger opinions on the various candidates...

Edit: I think the thing I'm having problems with is the difference between where we're going and where we actually are right now.... A few weeks ago, I probably would have been happy with any of them given where we were. But now... I can't work it out.

Anyway curious what the rest of you think, as my views come mostly from listening to podcasts and watching highlights, don't have any IRL friends who are Toon supporters and don't follow it much on Twitter or fan forums or anything, just read a few news orgs (like BBC). 

Edited by Scratch

Eddie Howe would be a really good appointment and i would have no issue with him taking it.

Fonseca was screwed over at Roma. Had not much money and club were in turmoil and he finished 7th. He won 3 league titles in a row in Russia(no biggy i know...but winning is winning).

Fonseca is an attacking manager but that might not work in our current climate and Howe is a more balanced coach. Defo between those 2 for me and anyone else is either not ready or out of our league(at the moment).

58 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Screenshot_20211021-111450__01.thumb.jpg.5af1bf617769bc2b3c9b7a6e20ac3c7a.jpg

Curious out of the Newcastle supporters on here @Woody @geordiekrispy @Rich @dai @Scratch  and others I might of forgotten, out of the managers that are looking like getting interviews , Fonseca, Howe , Favre, Martinez , Lampard and Gerrard, who would be your choice?

It's a really weird situation. There's a really good article on the Athletic about what we need. But in summary we need some one who can help keep us up in the short term, someone who can build a good squad and academy and the someone who can start to challenge for trophies.

The thing is there is no 1 such person. It all depends on the structure that they set up, I'm not quite sure of the nuances between a director of football and a sporting director. But I think that's what we need. Someone who can work with a head coach and get the right players for the squad now and the future.

If we go down the head coach route, the  people like Lampard and Gerrard I don't think it'll work. I feel like they want to be managers not head coaches. Slight difference but they want to be in charge of everything not just the coaching and tactics.

Probably the same for Howe.

Martinez I think could do a decent job, but it's not as if he's a big name, but that might be what we want/need right now.

Favre I think is the next manager, when we're re-established and want to make the next step.

I think Fonseca might be a good shout, he'll play attractive football which the fans will enjoy but his defensive record is t great at Roma.

I've read talk about Overmars from Ajax as DOF, yes he's done a good job but you can't exactly say he built anything, he just improved a failing system, if it was failing at all.

I've read about Ragneric but I don't think he'd want to come now. Maybe in the next stage of our development.

In the 30 odd years I've actively supported Newcastle, there have been 16/17 managers.

Of those I think there have been 3 that I can turned out to be the right person at the right time;

Keegan's first appointment

Robson's appointment

Rafa's appointment

I honestly thought that McLaren would have been better than he was. He should have been better.

I'm not sure there is a "correct" person for the job right now, but I don't know the managers/head coaches as well as I used to.

So TL/DR. I think Martinez or Fonseca.

But it'll depend on who we bring in as DOF style person.

1 hour ago, AdamNufc said:

Screenshot_20211021-111450__01.thumb.jpg.5af1bf617769bc2b3c9b7a6e20ac3c7a.jpg

I’d love to see Gerrard but I think Howe would do good and more realistic. He managed to make Bournemouth stayed in the Premier League for quite a long time with low amount of money.

Its going to be Fonseca. End of.

Howe would of been great but Martinez is a no for me. Plays decent football but thats it. He has a unbelievable team with Belgium but i dont think he can cut it in the Prem at the bottom. Maybe when we have better players but not now.

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't rate Howe? He's a decent style of play but that's it. 

7 hours ago, broodje kip said:

I’d love to see Gerrard but I think Howe would do good and more realistic. He managed to make Bournemouth stayed in the Premier League for quite a long time with low amount of money.

Bournemouth spent and wasted a fortune tbh. Hell we got £40m off them for Solanke, Ibe and Smith. 

I always thought Bournemouth's transfer dealings were bizarre, I don't know if they have a DoF or if Howe was calling the shots though tbf. But if they spent better I don't think they'd be out of the Premier League, like Solanke and Ibe did nothing for them and that's £35m wasted on a vital component of a struggling team. I'm happy to see Solanke doing well in the Championship though, I did always like the look of him. 

6 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Big Game today for Newcastle! Hopefully 3 points.

Not sure what to make of that lineup. Hopefully it works.

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

Not sure what to make of that lineup. Hopefully it works.

We've played poor so far but that goal from Wilson to equalise was QUALITY!

27 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

We've played poor so far but that goal from Wilson to equalise was QUALITY!

We weren't poor. We were pathetic! Absolutely pathetic! Bring Brucey back, ffs. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

We weren't poor. We were pathetic! Absolutely pathetic! Bring Brucey back, ffs. 🙄

We need a new manager in and quick. Before the Chelsea game ideally and whoever comes in is going to have to do brilliantly, you can polish a turd but it's still a turd 💩