Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

Ronaldo - Like I said I dunno if I think it should have been a red but his head had gone, you've one the best players in the history of the sport kicking out at a kid. If you kick out after a tackle like the famous Beckham one it's a red 🤷‍♂️. Sure he kicked the ball, maybe that lets him off the hook but the whistle had gone and it was multiple kicks after a foul. It's debatable but he clearly lashes out. Dangerous play, violent conduct, foul, dissent or whatever you want to call it it's blurred imo but anyone else I think that's a red on the day. Maybe the fact the ball is there and it's what he connects with matters? I dunno but he knew what he was doing and by his reaction he knew he was in trouble. If he was sent off would there be complaints? Very interesting one this tbf. Would it have been different if Jones rolled around? What if he reacted and got himself in trouble? At least it's provoking 😂

Fernandes - Just watched it back and okay fair enough it likely isn't a red card but it's as close as you can get. Nowhere near the ball, studs up and above the ankle for a needless tackle with Jones going nowhere. I thought it was closer to Pogba's challenge but it's not. He does dive in but it's one legged and he's on the ground by contact so I do give that the benefit of the doubt as just a late poor challenge so a yellow, even though alot of people seem to think that's a red :/. If it was given though the Pogba one doesn't happen and Naby isn't hurt haha. 

Pogba - No debate. Reluctantly after review even though it was clearly a awful challenge live. It's not like he couldn't have gave the red and changed it if needed. 

Fred - I don't think high boots should be a red card unless the force behind it is daft if it's a reasonable attempt to play the ball, but that's such an inconsistent call by referees. Not going to lie I've not seen it back and I can't find it online either way, imo this was the weakest of the claims by far. 

Maguire - Last man and outside the box so intent to play ball doesn't come into play so a red card. 

So that's 2 red cards by the letter of the law not given with one given after review and 2 questionable ones let go. 

United could have boiled over? They clearly did......The captain and "experienced striker" easily could have been sent off alongside someone that was. 

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

On another point. What did you think of Konate? He's obviously not the most gifted with the ball at his feet but he looks like a colossus in there alongside VVD. Athletic, strong and quick. He met most crosses coming into the box too. I think he's a really good signing.

As for Konate he terrified me at the start as he left his CB position alot, but once he settled he was a colossus as you said. Big, powerful, rapid and just everything you want in a CB. He was left wanting on the disallowed Ronaldo goal but he's still only 22 so he'll improve with experience. If he and Trent can form a nice partnership on our right side we're set for a long time. 

Passing wise I don't think he looked bad tbf, a good pass completion percentage and he has the long diagonal in his locker just like Virgil. If he can pick out Salah/Mane/Jota like Virgil can when he's up to speed we'll have playmaking CBs 😂

Fabinho, Konate and VVD is some central wall that's for sure! But put some respect on Matip's name who's also bloody brilliant and so underrated, he's been better than VVD this season so far imo but VVD is effortlessly getting back to his best. 

We were top the league and cruising last season even without VVD, it was when we also lost Matip the wheels completely fell off in January and the Fabinho at CB experiment failed (more because we need him in CM). 

I'm just hoping we don't have another injury crisis season but this time at CM considering our only fit CMs available right now are Hendo, Oxlade and Jones. Selling Lovren and not replacing him screwed us last season, this season we didn't replace Gini so let's see how the dice fall. 

22 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Another loss for Brentford when they deserved something out of the game. They are so good to watch. Energetic and use the ball so well. Just need to start scoring from the mass amounts of chances they're creating.

22 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

I only watched the first half but they were much the better team in that half, create a lot of clear chances and are really fluid 

cheers lads - thought we were very unlucky with the early offside that didn't really look it and was never really explained. similar against Chelsea last week to be honest - all a bit odd, and i daresay we'll be asking for some explanations about how VAR is being used cos in both cases, it was a bit weird... i fully support "getting on with it" but in both cases, a quick look indicated we had a strong case for a penalty last week and a goal this week.

we had a really strong period 60-70mins and then got totally sucker-punched. two moments of quality from Tielemans, fair play. two of the top 5 and we've held our own. gotta make sure our heads don't go down ahead of the next three, Burnley, Norwich and Gateshead or something...

2 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

ahead of the next three, Burnley, Norwich and Gateshead or something...

Now even a Sunday League team could get 9 points with ease in that set of fixtures 👀

1 hour ago, Mr Tree said:

cheers lads - thought we were very unlucky with the early offside that didn't really look it and was never really explained. similar against Chelsea last week to be honest - all a bit odd, and i daresay we'll be asking for some explanations about how VAR is being used cos in both cases, it was a bit weird... i fully support "getting on with it" but in both cases, a quick look indicated we had a strong case for a penalty last week and a goal this week.

we had a really strong period 60-70mins and then got totally sucker-punched. two moments of quality from Tielemans, fair play. two of the top 5 and we've held our own. gotta make sure our heads don't go down ahead of the next three, Burnley, Norwich and Gateshead or something...

The disallowed goal baffled me also. There was no explanation, as you say. I know they checked both phases of play for offside but neither were offside on the pictures they put on screen. Danny Gabbidon was commentating and he said he didn't know why the goal didn't stand.

2 hours ago, Dai_ said:

The disallowed goal baffled me also. There was no explanation, as you say. I know they checked both phases of play for offside but neither were offside on the pictures they put on screen. Danny Gabbidon was commentating and he said he didn't know why the goal didn't stand.

Contradicting myself a bit but early in the second half they referenced it and showed a very brief replay where it was explained that Toney was slightly ahead, and Danny G (who was pretty good in general) said something about "once you see the lines, it's clear" or something. I guess, both with this and the one against Chelsea, both were very close and they went with the on-field decision. 

37 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Anyone know how much about Erik Ten Haag? Saw him linked a bit more with Nufc recently but don't know much about him.

He seems to have come out and said his future is with Ajax after links to him replacing Ole at Man Utd. I saw the links with us too but can't see him wanting to leave Ajax for us.

10 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

He seems to have come out and said his future is with Ajax after links to him replacing Ole at Man Utd. I saw the links with us too but can't see him wanting to leave Ajax for us.

I can't see it either especially if he is denying links to Man United, you'd like to hope we have a manager in place before Ole is sacked. Looks to be Fonseca but there's reports Favre is being seriously considered now. I just hope they make a decision soon. Think they trying to get a Director of Football in first.

3 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Wembley awaits for the Red and White Wizards again.

It pains me to say but you lot have been excellent so far this season 👍

41 minutes ago, Woody said:

It pains me to say but you lot have been excellent so far this season 👍

They've been playing excellent opposition too. 🙄

13 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

They've been playing excellent opposition too. 🙄

I would say surely you understand that you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but since we’re nearly in November and you still haven’t beaten anyone I’m not sure it would be the right thing to say :P

10 minutes ago, samhardy said:

I would say surely you understand that you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but since we’re nearly in November and you still haven’t beaten anyone I’m not sure it would be the right thing to say :P

Indeed. 👍🤣

On 25/10/2021 at 16:02, AdamNufc said:

Now even a Sunday League team could get 9 points with ease in that set of fixtures 👀

And yet... :P

3 hours ago, Woody said:

I think its time to admit we are going down!

We are in the 💩 like. Was such a bore watching it too, biggest cheer of the day from me was the full time whistle being blown.

28 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

We are in the 💩 like. Was such a bore watching it too, biggest cheer of the day from me was the full time whistle being blown.

Surprised we held out aslong as we did but you play that way and sit back for that long eventually you will get smashed and we did. Rubbish.

Why are Spurs acting like they can sack Nuno? He was already like the 6th choice and is struggling due to that. Maybe they'll find someone more suited granted but that club is a shambles. 

35 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Why are Spurs acting like they can sack Nuno? He was already like the 6th choice and is struggling due to that. Maybe they'll find someone more suited granted but that club is a shambles. 

I have a fear that they'll sack Nuno and get Fonseca in just as we're about to sign him.

23 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

I have a fear that they'll sack Nuno and get Fonseca in just as we're about to sign him.

The Fonseca rumours have went very quiet. Roberto Martinez is now the favourite, Graeme Jones been guaranteed to still be here, has worked with Martinez plenty times before, the links make sense.

Although we have been linked with as many managers as we have players 😂

45 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

I think the Fonseca deal might not happen tbh. This Ten Haag thing is gathering pace.

1 hour ago, Woody said:

I think the Fonseca deal might not happen tbh. This Ten Haag thing is gathering pace.

I can't see Ajax being willing to let their DOF and manager go at the same time.

I'd be happy with Martinez, he has history with Jones. Yes, Belgium seem to not be as good as the sum of their parts, but just look at England for that...

And he'd only be a short term (~3 year) appointment whilst we survive, build and work out way up the table.

Edited by geordiekrispy
2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Ryan Mason is better than Nuno. The only reason they're delaying is to get a replacement lined up and hoping to save a bit of face. I think Levy probably has had enough, but doesn't want to undermine Paratici so quickly. Paratici was livid on the sidelines yesterday so I assume he's gone by the international break. 

1 hour ago, geordiekrispy said:

Martinez

2 hours ago, Woody said:

Ten Haag

You need a results manager not someone with a “philosophy” as the only thing that matters at this stage is staying up so you need to walk before you can run. You need to be signing good, experienced Premier League players in January and then a manager who won’t worry about performances or style of player they will simply look to get results. Personally I would go for Chris Wilder as he has a proven track record of getting results straight away at every club he’s been at and getting more than the sum of a squads parts as well. It won’t be pretty and he would only last a couple of seasons but that doesn’t matter.

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

You need a results manager not someone with a “philosophy” as the only thing that matters at this stage is staying up so you need to walk before you can run. You need to be signing good, experienced Premier League players in January and then a manager who won’t worry about performances or style of player they will simply look to get results. Personally I would go for Chris Wilder as he has a proven track record of getting results straight away at every club he’s been at and getting more than the sum of a squads parts as well. It won’t be pretty and he would only last a couple of seasons but that doesn’t matter.

Ahh, a sensible suggestion. We don't want any of that, thank you. In all seriousness, that's what we need. Staying in the Premiership is going to be a tough task. We don't need a manager to transform the philosophy of the club at this stage, we need someone up for a relegation scrap. I still think Eddie Howe would be a good choice.

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

I think Pellegrini wouldn’t be that bad either. He did pretty good with West Ham and currently with Betis

2 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

Didnt say i wanted him just that its picking up pace. You're right though we need someone to come in and give them a kick up the arse.

Martinez is a huge no...dont want him(overrated for me).

Tbh i gaven't got a clue who we need. Maybe give it Gattuso he wants it that much 😂

Wilder is a good shout though 👍

Edited by Woody