• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

55 minutes ago, hhooo said:

Fun isn't the right word... 

Better than Bruce though? Yeah why not

Oddly looked into it thinking I was being daft to see he's been linked for a while 😂

What a goal 😮

17 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

It's nailed on its going to be Howe. We need a miracle.

Hope he proves us wrong, January is going to be so important for us:

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hope he proves us wrong, January is going to be so important for us:

Can't see Eddie Howe being able to attract the top names that have been floated about. I would of thought the next manager would be some 'big' name. Look on the bright side though, if you do down, the championship should be alot of fun with your budget!

If I was a toon fan I honestly wouldn’t be getting myself all worked up at the moment. If it is going to be a long term project with plenty of funds available then getting relegated this season wouldn’t exactly be the end of the world. It wouldn’t be like say Cardiff getting relegated and all the uncertainties for the future that that would create  It would be slightly humiliating though I guess but only if you let it be as the best thing in that case would be to just take it all in and wait patiently.

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

If I was a toon fan I honestly wouldn’t be getting myself all worked up at the moment. If it is going to be a long term project with plenty of funds available then getting relegated this season wouldn’t exactly be the end of the world. It wouldn’t be like say Cardiff getting relegated and all the uncertainties for the future that that would create  It would be slightly humiliating though I guess but only if you let it be as the best thing in that case would be to just take it all in and wait patiently.

It would knock a year or two off a long term project I get that but as we've been saying this season is all about survival. With the managers unemployed I'd go Nuno. I want Benitez but can't see him leaving Everton.

Biggest problem in January is every club knowing Newcastle are minted and desperate so the price of every player will be doubled. £200m doesn’t go very far when clubs like Norwich are fleecing you for £60m for a player like Cantwell.

To be honest I’m just still happy and excited that we have a change at the club and even the thought of signing any kind of players Is exciting me. I’m not expecting much early on, it’s just nice to be even linked with players. After so many poor transfer windows. 

24 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

Biggest problem in January is every club knowing Newcastle are minted and desperate so the price of every player will be doubled. £200m doesn’t go very far when clubs like Norwich are fleecing you for £60m for a player like Cantwell.

Think we had a similar issue in the summer. Every man and his dog knew we had £100m burning a hole in the back pocket of the club. A £30m player becomes £40/45m etc etc. 

Plus with January an incredibly hard window to buy any more than 1/2 players, could be tough for Newcastle to do any proper business. 

FMM favourite Ajer out for a couple of months for the Bees - so that's our record signing and our wonderful keeper lost for significant time in the last few days. thank god we've got 12pts on the board! really struggled with injuries early on - maybe bad luck, maybe the step up in intensity has found us wanting (with a thin squad).

16 hours ago, samhardy said:

Can’t defend, can’t win away from home, can’t cope with any side who has any hint of any physically about them. Scraping wins at the start of the season papered over the cracks of average performances. A very arrogant manager who thinks he’s the bees knees with very little evidence to back it up and no Plan B when it starts going wrong. Talks a load of shite which is fine when we’re winning he can chat all the bollocks he wants but it soon gets tiring when it’s going as badly as the last few weeks have.

Losing 4-0, 5-1 and 3-0 in League One within a month borders on funny even for me and I would say after tonight Johnson has lost at least 75% of the fanbase. Cup runs are great but they all mean nothing at the end of the day unless you win it which we obviously won’t win the League Cup. No idea how brave our new owner is but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re looking for another new manager in the next couple of weeks.

Bruce in then?

The whole Emery debacle just smacks of a club that hasn't got its act together yet.

Yes they desperately need a new manager/head coach in asap. But they also need to get the people above him sorted out before January. If it takes this long to get a manager, can you imagine what it'll be like trying to sign a player? It'll take them all of January to just talk to 1 player and then the window will close and it'll be back to "Couldn't get them over the line".

I think Howe will do a good job, hell get out current player playing better football, but he won't be able to attract the level of players someone like Emery or Fonseca would.

He's literally a pair of "safe" hands to steady the ship and build a bit more cohesion between the squad for a few years.

The key person is the DOF in to have a longer term plan. If they don't get that, we're going to be stuck in a weird holding pattern of not actually getting anywhere other than maybe a cup run or mid table.

I'm not worried, but I'm concerned.

@geordiekrispyI have my doubts about Howe I really do but I will fully back him. He kept Bournemouth up for a few years but his last season was very poor. 

We are 19th, always was going to be hard to attract someone top notch even with all the money talk.

That December run of fixtures looks awful too. The back to back home games against Burnley then Norwich coming up are massive, need 6 points from those. 

12 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

The whole Emery debacle just smacks of a club that hasn't got its act together yet.

Yes they desperately need a new manager/head coach in asap. But they also need to get the people above him sorted out before January. If it takes this long to get a manager, can you imagine what it'll be like trying to sign a player? It'll take them all of January to just talk to 1 player and then the window will close and it'll be back to "Couldn't get them over the line".

I think Howe will do a good job, hell get out current player playing better football, but he won't be able to attract the level of players someone like Emery or Fonseca would.

He's literally a pair of "safe" hands to steady the ship and build a bit more cohesion between the squad for a few years.

The key person is the DOF in to have a longer term plan. If they don't get that, we're going to be stuck in a weird holding pattern of not actually getting anywhere other than maybe a cup run or mid table.

I'm not worried, but I'm concerned.

If there was a football man in that interview room Emery would be manager now. The lack of that is holding us back, we need that DoF with a footballing background and i mean played the game not just been in the sport.

34 minutes ago, Woody said:

If there was a football man in that interview room Emery would be manager now. The lack of that is holding us back, we need that DoF with a footballing background and i mean played the game not just been in the sport.

Agreed, I can’t believe we haven’t made DOF the first appointment so they could be involved in bringing the new manager in. Looks like it is Howe coming in now, hopefully he proves me wrong and gets us out of trouble.

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed, I can’t believe we haven’t made DOF the first appointment so they could be involved in bringing the new manager in. Looks like it is Howe coming in now, hopefully he proves me wrong and gets us out of trouble.

I like Howe. Just have no clue how he will do but we shall see. Id rather us go down(if we do) giving it a go than letting teams come at us and go down with a wimper(if we do).

Eddie Howe wasn't one of my choices and I am concerned with how leaky his defences were at Bournemouth and his similar win rate to Bruce BUT we are 19th and as has been proven we aren't at the right time to be attracting big name managers, City took time to build and it's openly been admitted this won't be to the levels City went with investment in playing staff.

If we look at things from the Positives. 

He took Bournemouth from L2 to Prem. Shows he can progress from one level to a next, has vision.

Wilson, Fraser and Ritchie already know him well. That Fraser and Wilson partnership for Bournemouth was good, he could get that working again.

He seems likeable and well spoken, could be good for getting the press and fans onside.

He did keep Bournemouth up for 4 seasons in a row, he has Prem experience, more I think into it he isn't as bad as we make out I guess.

Let's fully back him, time will only tell if this is the right choice.

5 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Wilson, Fraser and Ritchie already know him well. That Fraser and Wilson partnership for Bournemouth was good, he could get that working again.

Thats probably a massive plus in how the fans see the appointment. 

I believe your next manager wont be your long term. You need someone to just keep you up this season, perhaps try for a mid-table finish next, then attract your big name manager, who will spend the millions to get into the top 4/6

Just now, JamesVilla said:

Thats probably a massive plus in how the fans see the appointment. 

I believe your next manager wont be your long term. You need someone to just keep you up this season, perhaps try for a mid-table finish next, then attract your big name manager, who will spend the millions to get into the top 4/6

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. He will probably sign an 18 month deal I reckon. The main aim is to get to January not adrift, invest, patch up the squad, stay up and go from there 

1 minute ago, AdamNufc said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. He will probably sign an 18 month deal I reckon. The main aim is to get to January not adrift, invest, patch up the squad, stay up and go from there 

I can see you spending in January, but not the amount that was floating around when you first got took over. £100m maybe? Just enough to keep Howe (if it is him) happy and to keep the squad up. 

I can't imagine these new owners will want to spend £150-200m in January, to go down & have to replace half the squad again. 

Next summer will be huge for you guys in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, JamesVilla said:

I can see you spending in January, but not the amount that was floating around when you first got took over. £100m maybe? Just enough to keep Howe (if it is him) happy and to keep the squad up. 

I can't imagine these new owners will want to spend £150-200m in January, to go down & have to replace half the squad again. 

Next summer will be huge for you guys in my opinion.

Is anyone clued up on how FFP works in the championship? 

I think it's going to be around £100m if not less to be honest. They were rumoured to want to invest £50m per season over 5 years on the playing squad, hence why I'm stressing this is no Man City Style Splash 

We need to get 2 loans in until the end of the season and then buy some players 

Coutinho is the stand out, would be come when we in a scrap though? I doubt it.

Henderson, Tarkowski, Dunk, Lingard, cheeky move for Martial on loan

16 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Is anyone clued up on how FFP works in the championship? 

I think it's going to be around £100m if not less to be honest. They were rumoured to want to invest £50m per season over 5 years on the playing squad, hence why I'm stressing this is no Man City Style Splash 

We need to get 2 loans in until the end of the season and then buy some players 

Coutinho is the stand out, would be come when we in a scrap though? I doubt it.

Henderson, Tarkowski, Dunk, Lingard, cheeky move for Martial on loan

From what I can remember, FFP isn't a big worry in the Championship, especially for the first 3 years down there due to parachute payments. 

I know we spent a ton for that league, mostly on crap but still it was spent. 

I reckon you will make a statement signing in January, similar to Robinho at City when they first got took over. Keep the fans happy, so the rest o of the league you are not here to make the numbers up anymore. That player I reckon will be Sterling. 

In January, these are the signings I think you will make; 

Sterling, Tarkowski as full transfers, then one/two cheaper buys from Europe & 2 loans from 'big 6 teams' (Think Lingard, Martial, Barkley, Dele, Ake)

1 minute ago, JamesVilla said:

From what I can remember, FFP isn't a big worry in the Championship, especially for the first 3 years down there due to parachute payments. 

I know we spent a ton for that league, mostly on crap but still it was spent. 

I reckon you will make a statement signing in January, similar to Robinho at City when they first got took over. Keep the fans happy, so the rest o of the league you are not here to make the numbers up anymore. That player I reckon will be Sterling. 

In January, these are the signings I think you will make; 

Sterling, Tarkowski as full transfers, then one/two cheaper buys from Europe & 2 loans from 'big 6 teams' (Think Lingard, Martial, Barkley, Ake)

Sterling was another one I thought of, depends how high we can push up for when January comes. Relegation could very easily happen this season. I'm just hoping we get the famous new manager bounce and pick up some points when he ( it's looking nailed on) cokes through the door 

Just now, AdamNufc said:

Sterling was another one I thought of, depends how high we can push up for when January comes. Relegation could very easily happen this season. I'm just hoping we get the famous new manager bounce and pick up some points when he ( it's looking nailed on) cokes through the door 

Sterling fits the bill. Big name player - so impresses the fans straight off the bat, will be first 11 every week when fit at Newcastle & Pep has already said can't promise him game time at City. Sign of intent from the owners. £50-70m I think will get him.  

How close is Howe now? Since Valverde has started he would like to start managing again I could see him being the best choice available. Getting a manager before the DoF is going to be weird though. 

I've given up trying to work out who we'd buy in January.

It all depends on the manager really and what formation and tactics they use. If they need central midfielders or another striker or (please for the love of all that is black and white) a left back or left winger, or even just a left footed centre back.

I've heard Sterling's name mentioned before, I can't imagine him coming not while we're in a relegation scrap. If he does I'd be super happy. I think a better play maker in midfield and another winger (for when St Maxamin gets injured).

And literally move on as many defenders as we can and replace them all.

Let Shelvey play in the u23s, there's a trend of getting older players in to help teach the youngsters, if he can help get some of the u23s being able to do a Hollywood pass like he does, but you know, run as well. It'd be awesome.

4 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

Let Shelvey play in the u23s, there's a trend of getting older players in to help teach the youngsters, if he can help get some of the u23s being able to do a Hollywood pass like he does, but you know, run as well. It'd be awesome.

I'm not Shelvey's biggest fan at the moment but to say he doesn't run is a bit silly. Last season only Almiron & Hayden pressed more than him, statistically. Its not all about running around like a headless chicken. He's hired a nutritionist and really focused on his fitness in the last few seasons. I'm not sure many others have.

As for his passing, it's tough when you only have 1 out ball. Last season Wilson or Joelinton were used up front with nobody within 30 yards of them. Because we have so many men behind the ball it's tough to criticise one player when we've been a hoof ball team since we last got promoted. They're all at it, not just Shelvey. Did you watch many of our games in the Championship? (Granted, it was the Championship) We had more players higher up the pitch and Shelvey was incredible when actually having players to pass to. A lot of his issues now comes down to our style of play so I'm reluctant to slate him.

As for not getting a "top" manager. Foxy said it best a few days ago on here. We need a results manager right now. We are in deep trouble so getting a manager in who's going to try and change our "philosophy" would be a huge mistake because we're not ready for that just yet. I've said I would like Howe but I'm not convinced he can get us out of the desperate situation we're in. I just can't think of anyone battle hardened that could save us.