Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

Eddie Howe has agreed a two and a half year deal, I’m just happy we’ve finally brought someone in now. I really hope he proves me wrong as he comes across well, I’m just not convinced by him.

22 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

I'm not Shelvey's biggest fan at the moment but to say he doesn't run is a bit silly. Last season only Almiron & Hayden pressed more than him, statistically. Its not all about running around like a headless chicken. He's hired a nutritionist and really focused on his fitness in the last few seasons. I'm not sure many others have.

Hires a nutritionist tries to focus on his game and goes gets sent off within 20 mins.

Don't get me wrong, Shelvey on his day is brilliant, quarter back style passes and good tackling but he will play 1 class game and then go missing for another 5. Very often he is lazy and goes missing.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Eddie Howe has agreed a two and a half year deal, I’m just happy we’ve finally brought someone in now. I really hope he proves me wrong as he comes across well, I’m just not convinced by him.

I have the same reservations as you do but hopefully he can surprise us, get the best out of this team and drive us up the table. Let's fully back him.

2 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Hires a nutritionist tries to focus on his game and goes gets sent off within 20 mins.

Don't get me wrong, Shelvey on his day is brilliant, quarter back style passes and good tackling but he will play 1 class game and then go missing for another 5. Very often he is lazy and goes missing.

I don't understand this. How can he go missing when his abilities are not utilised properly? We as a team have sat back for 4/5 years now. He's part of a CM 3 most of the time who's job is to just crowd the midfield and force opposing teams to play wide. At least when he's in the team there's a chance one of our hoof balls will be accurate I behind and get us up the pitch.

I don't like him being made a scapegoat for our negative play getting us nowhere, that's all.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

In our current situation, who would you want? Ignoring all the money. Who will realistically get us out of the shit? He's as good a choice as anyone, IMO.

Personally I find Howe's appointment baffling. Not sure he's experienced enough to stop the rot and his previous spending is very questionable without a DoF in place. He might bring the right style of play but he's just not someone I see taking Newcastle to Europe? 

I have to admit I never got the Howe hype though, I get he's young and his style of play fits the project but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see out that contract. Unless you go down, then he might be a solid enough option for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Personally I find Howe's appointment baffling. Not sure he's experienced enough to stop the rot and his previous spending is very questionable without a DoF in place. He might bring the right style of play but he's just not someone I see taking Newcastle to Europe? 

I have to admit I never got the Howe hype though, I get he's young and his style of play fits the project but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see out that contract. Unless you go down, then he might be a solid enough option for a few years. 

I thought he'd get a 1.5 year deal. As @Rich said I'm happy we have someone through the door. It's a shame Emery didn't join, Rafa still in a Job, Nuno would have been a good shout BUT the more I look into it this might actually turn out to be a good appointment for us.

7 minutes ago, Ashez said:

He's not supposed to take them to Europe. He is there to stop them from going down, and stay safe next season while the team transitions. Getting to Europe is going to be a 3-4 year timeline minimum and whoever they appoint now will not be there at that time. 

8 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

I don't understand this. How can he go missing when his abilities are not utilised properly? We as a team have sat back for 4/5 years now. He's part of a CM 3 most of the time who's job is to just crowd the midfield and force opposing teams to play wide. At least when he's in the team there's a chance one of our hoof balls will be accurate I behind and get us up the pitch.

I don't like him being made a scapegoat for our negative play getting us nowhere, that's all.

In our current situation, who would you want? Ignoring all the money. Who will realistically get us out of the shit? He's as good a choice as anyone, IMO.

I’ve never expected a big appointment from the start to be honest, we’re not in a spot to bring in anyone of massive quality as manager yet. We’ve been turned down by numerous managers so Eddie Howe is probably the best we can get at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I think if so many managers didn’t turn us down he wouldn’t have come in. I’m going to get behind him but I just don’t know if he can turn the tide, hope he proves me wrong. I’m just confused why we haven’t gone for DOF first tbh.

9 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

I thought he'd get a 1.5 year deal. As @Rich said I'm happy we have someone through the door. It's a shame Emery didn't join, Rafa still in a Job, Nuno would have been a good shout BUT the more I look into it this might actually turn out to be a good appointment for us.

Yeah I thought he would have had 1.5 years myself, was surprised to see 2.5 but then I’ve read somewhere that they want some clause in it for sacking somewhere, which isn’t a great sign 😂

4 minutes ago, hhooo said:

He's not supposed to take them to Europe. He is there to stop them from going down, and stay safe next season while the team transitions. Getting to Europe is going to be a 3-4 year timeline minimum and whoever they appoint now will not be there at that time. 

Yuuup, this is a long term thing and unfortunately we can’t attract the best managers at the moment.

8 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:
23 minutes ago, hhooo said:

So they wanted Big Sam but couldn't touch him as the fans destroyed him. As we all know exciting, attacking and expansive football is what keeps teams in the league. 

It only makes sense if they think he could be a long term option imo, if they just wanted a fire fighter I think better options are out there. 

Im up for Eddie Howe.

He is a good manager but i have no idea if he will be long term or not. 

I dont know why we think we can get players like Sterling though just cus he aint playing much for City! We are way off players like that(plus he would do my head in).

We need battlers, players who can get stuck in when its not going our way. 

Im sure we'll see a different way of playing but it'll take time and i dont hold much hope for this weekend. A good pwrformance would go along way though. 

Spurs first match with Conte was everything football should be. 5 goals, 3 red cards, Ben Davies playing centerback and making runs into the box, Lo Celso taking two shots at a near-open net and hitting a defender in the face both times, a pitch invader, bleeding heads, a 52 year old Italian yelling for 90 minutes straight, and no VAR.

That was better than everything that happened in the last two years. Pure, unadulterated entertainment.

Edited by hhooo

I totally understand your position @Dai_ in regards to Shelvey. I have a feeling he's a player like Gayle who is too good for the Championship but not quite good enough for the Premier League.

But, I agree that we've been playing a style and formation that doesn't suit his playing style. But I don't think we should make a team around him as he's getting on now. If we're going to select a few players to build a team around players like Willock and St Maximin would be my choice.

8 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

@Dai_ Gayle who is too good for the Championship but not quite good enough for the Premier League.

I'm hoping to see more of Gayle as an impact sub. He can change games and does get goals, he's not the standard to start games but he could defo grab us some goals off the bench.

I think we will see a 433 formation with Hayden as the holding midfielder with Willock and Almiron in front and ASM, Wilson and Fraser as the front 3.

1 minute ago, Woody said:

I think we will see a 433 formation with Hayden as the holding midfielder with Willock and Almiron in front and ASM, Wilson and Fraser as the front 3.

I see it being 4-2-3-1 

Hayden.       Willock 

Fraser.                Almiron.              ASM

Wilson

16 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Who plays at the back four? I personally would want to see Lascelles dropped.

Would play:

Manquillo Fernandez Schar Ritchie/Lewis

Exactly who I would go for as well, Lascelles and Clark have been so poor, I think Lascelles needs a kick up the ass and be dropped, may help him pick performances up. It amazes that Schar hasn’t been picked when we play 3 CB’s.

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Exactly who I would go for as well, Lascelles and Clark have been so poor, I think Lascelles needs a kick up the ass and be dropped, may help him pick performances up. It amazes that Schar hasn’t been picked when we play 3 CB’s.

I agree with the back four. I think Ritchie will get the nod over Lewis.

5 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

If we don't win today it is our worst start ever in our history.

I’m expecting it to be just that to be honest. I’m hoping for a change in personnel, defensively and a change to a back four. But I just think it will be more of the same 👎🏻

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

I’m expecting it to be just that to be honest. I’m hoping for a change in personnel, defensively and a change to a back four. But I just think it will be more of the same 👎🏻

It looks to be Jones last game, let's just give it a go. 4 at back, no Krafth at centre half, 4-2-3-1 get at them. Wonder if Howe will be announced before the game or not.

30 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

It looks to be Jones last game, let's just give it a go. 4 at back, no Krafth at centre half, 4-2-3-1 get at them. Wonder if Howe will be announced before the game or not.

Reading more and more that it’s taking a lot longer that expected for his back room staff, which Celtic fans are pointing out happened before his move to Celtic fell through, imagine that happening 😂

On another note, Manchester City have been a joy to watch so far in the Manchester Derby. 

I also seen a joint Team from the both clubs yesterday and it genuinely had Scott Mctominay and Maguire in, this was from a pundit, can’t remember who, but I had to laugh.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

On another note, Manchester City have been a joy to watch so far in the Manchester Derby. 

I also seen a joint Team from the both clubs yesterday and it genuinely had Scott Mctominay and Maguire in, this was from a pundit, can’t remember who, but I had to laugh.

Enjoy Premier League football while it last. You won’t see anything like this when Newcastle gets relegated this season.

50 minutes ago, Rich said:

Reading more and more that it’s taking a lot longer that expected for his back room staff, which Celtic fans are pointing out happened before his move to Celtic fell through, imagine that happening 😂

Screenshot_20211106-134832__01.thumb.jpg.fff949b77565f1eb3d4553d7ebd2ec30.jpg

This could start to become a bit of a shambles.

22 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Screenshot_20211106-134832__01.thumb.jpg.fff949b77565f1eb3d4553d7ebd2ec30.jpg

This could start to become a bit of a shambles.

This would be mental if it did happen, such a joke 🙈Hope it gets sorted.

31 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Enjoy Premier League football while it last. You won’t see anything like this when Newcastle gets relegated this season.

We will be the Manchester City of the championship.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

This would be mental if it did happen, such a joke 🙈Hope it gets sorted.

We will be the Manchester City of the championship.

Ideal scenario is Spurs Beat Everton, Rafa Sacked, he comes in. He's my man to keep us up if this deal breaks down, Nuno another possibility

At least I get 4 extra games in the championship 😂