Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

VAR has seemingly taken the day off.

I thought the City one against Wolves was harsh. Could sort of understand why it was given after numerous replays but still seemed a tad harsh.

The one that has decided the Chelsea-Leeds game was horrendous!! 

Penalties are unreasonable punishments for most fouls in the box. Penalty area should be shaped more like the foul zone in basketball. Elongated U in front of the goal. Terrible day of football all around

City look devastating! I'd hate to be playing them next... oh wait.

We have to play them three days after we play Liverpool and with them having 2 days more rest.

Can't wait! 😭😭😭

3 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

We have to play them three days after we play Liverpool and with them having 2 days more rest.

Can't wait! 😭😭😭

And Liverpool is also the 2nd most deadly team 🤣

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

Can't wait! 😭😭😭

Yeah, we've got them in two weeks, fear it might be more than 7!

2 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Can't wait! 😭😭😭

It's fine, it's not as if we've got a team with a new manager bounce after that...

Oh wait...

We do! It's Man UFC at St James's...

At least we don't then have a team that is struggling for form, so you know we'll get rolled by them as well...

Oh wait...

Crap. So... what are the odds of all the games over the festive period being postponed due to COVID?

Edited by geordiekrispy
40 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

It's fine, it's not as if we've got a team with a new manager bounce after that...

Oh wait...

We do! It's Man UFC at St James's...

At least we don't then have a team that is struggling for form, so you know we'll get rolled by them as well...

Oh wait...

Crap. So... what are the odds of all the games over the festive period being postponed due to COVID?

I reckon the best solution is to null and void the season, start afresh next season and no relegations happen this season!

Not too disheartened by the result. We were never going to beat Liverpool but we were reselute defensively despite the scoreline.

2nd goal shouldnt have happened for me as ref should of blown for a head injury but Liverpool were excellent and deserved their win.

9 minutes ago, Woody said:

Not too disheartened by the result. We were never going to beat Liverpool but we were reselute defensively despite the scoreline.

2nd goal shouldnt have happened for me as ref should of blown for a head injury but Liverpool were excellent and deserved their win.

I'm torn on the second goal, I get why it could have been disallowed but I'd have been annoyed if it was. 

It wasn't a foul which obviously doesn't matter in regards to a head injury, yet it also wasn't a head injury. Was the ref to know that in the moment I dunno? What I do know is it is so frustrating when players do just grab their heads looking for the foul. Don't get me wrong every team does it but it's annoying so due to that I'm glad it was given. His team mate hit him on the back with his arm 🤷‍♂️

At the time I was waiting for the whistle, and again for VAR to take a look once it was given, but after seeing it again I don't think there was a genuine head injury there so crack on imo. 

Result wasn't as bad as it could have been for us. But even if we manage to get points/wins in Jan, our goal difference is going to be horrific.

I do think we'll go down this season, if not it will be a miracle, like going unbeaten from the Everton game to the end of the season type of miracle.

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

I'm torn on the second goal, I get why it could have been disallowed but I'd have been annoyed if it was. 

It wasn't a foul which obviously doesn't matter in regards to a head injury, yet it also wasn't a head injury. Was the ref to know that in the moment I dunno? What I do know is it is so frustrating when players do just grab their heads looking for the foul. Don't get me wrong every team does it but it's annoying so due to that I'm glad it was given. His team mate hit him on the back with his arm 🤷‍♂️

At the time I was waiting for the whistle, and again for VAR to take a look once it was given, but after seeing it again I don't think there was a genuine head injury there so crack on imo. 

Obviously you didn't see Lascelles elbow swing around and hit Hayden behind the ear. That, Sir, is a blow to the head. It needed called straight away. Usually referees are quick to blow for such incidents. Not the man from the Wirral during a Liverpool game though. 🤔 I'm not bitter. Just making a point. Doesn't change the outcome. The difference in quality & ambition is massive.

The two penalty claims have annoyed me more though. That's not down to the Scouse ref. That's a VAR thing. Again. Liverpool are outstanding and probably would have won anyway but these decisions against you when in such a perilous position annoy me.

Haven’t been able to watch as much as I wanted the last couple of weeks and didn’t get to see Leicester game. But watched last night and I was happy with the performance and I think the more work every week on the training ground can only be good. You can see the fitness in some players now. Shelvey especially looks very good. Joelinton seems to have found his position now as well, looks a new man.

Im still not confident but I don’t think it’s anywhere near a done deal now. January is huge with a few signings and we have 3 games on the Trott with Southampton, Watford and Leeds, also we have Everton twice I believe which they don’t look great atm. 

Positive performance last night despite the result. Defended well and had chances as well. Good goal by shelvey, credit where credit is due TAA scored an absolute screamer and that's defo a goal of the season contender.

At first I was furious about the goal when two of our players were down in the box BUT after watching replays I do think the decision is correct, Schar I'm unhappy with, he grabs his head and when he realised it's not given he gets up to belatedly try to block the shot.

As has been said in January we have 3 vital games against Southampton, Watford and Leeds. They will be the games that decide our season. We could do with Wolves winning today so Watford don't increase the gap to 6 points.

New signings are needed and plenty of them. Trippier seems nailed on and that will be a quality signing as I'm sure we can play as both RB and LB. We need to splash the cash on two new centre backs. I'm hoping one of Lingard or Alli comes in, preferably Lingard. We need a new striker as an injury to Wilson and we are in big trouble. Do we attempt cheeky half season loan deals for Martial or Aubameyang with optional clauses to make permanent if we stay up? 

23 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

At first I was furious about the goal when two of our players were down in the box BUT after watching replays I do think the decision is correct, Schar I'm unhappy with, he grabs his head and when he realised it's not given he gets up to belatedly try to block the shot.

That's the stuff I'm on about, that's essentially simulation so should be treated as a dive. However that's a very grey area that can't be implemented safely, which players know which is why we do see head injuries simulated more than we should. 

The more often that happens the more often refs will ignore it or give the situation time to breath which is when it becomes dangerous again. Unfortunately that's all about players and managers using the rules to their advantage and I'm sure it's spoken about in similar ways to game management in the dressing room. It's no different to staying down after a tackle or doing a few rolls for effect except if you grab your head in theory it's an instant dead ball. 

10 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Obviously you didn't see Lascelles elbow swing around and hit Hayden behind the ear. That, Sir, is a blow to the head. It needed called straight away. Usually referees are quick to blow for such incidents.

Just watched it back again and after multiple watches I had missed Lascelles falls on him tbf. Maybe the simulation from Schar impacted his decision I don't know, by the rules I get the unjust reaction, I know I was irritated by Schar's attempt at simulation until he realised he wasn't getting the call but I also didn't expect the goal to stand on original viewing. 

10 hours ago, Dai_ said:

The two penalty claims have annoyed me more though. That's not down to the Scouse ref. That's a VAR thing. Again. Liverpool are outstanding and probably would have won anyway but these decisions against you when in such a perilous position annoy me.

Oxlade should of had a soft penalty for that push when he was through 🤷‍♂️. As for Trent I think he just about got the ball but boy was it tight. 

This is however extremely dangerous and Newcastle and Howe should be sanctioned for not following the concussion and health and safety protocol. Or is it only referees and VAR that make it up as they go along. 

We should have a goal disallowed because he's holding his head fine whatever. Obviously due to the players safety right? So why the hell did he stay on when he clearly wasn't 100% and was dazed? Didn't he continue to play most the game in an unfit condition? Or is this all one big con? Maybe the it's talked about in the dressing room as match management comment above was more right than I thought. Funny how we have the ball in a dangerous position and two players are holding their head when one is 100% simulating it trying to get the game stopped. Howe saying Hayden wasn't 100% and that he hasn't spoke to him to see if there is any lasting damage is horrendous when he's banging on about the game should have been stopped for player welfare. 

26 minutes ago, Rich said:

What a player Martinelli is!

Leeds so depleted with injuries it’s crazy.

When you're that injury ravaged you need to dig in a bit and try to grind out a few results. All the things to admire about Leeds and Bielsa are really hurting them ATM. They seem unwilling to change the way they approach games. Admirable but stupid, I think.

47 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

When you're that injury ravaged you need to dig in a bit and try to grind out a few results. All the things to admire about Leeds and Bielsa are really hurting them ATM. They seem unwilling to change the way they approach games. Admirable but stupid, I think.

As good as Bielsa has done there, I don’t get why they don’t change tactics any game, they have been woeful today. Made it so easy for Arsenal.

14 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

So if we win 9-0 today against City we out the relegation zone. 300/1 to score 5 goals against City. Easy Work This. Howay The Lads

Can’t see any other result than us battering them mate. Ciaran Clark hat trick for me is nailed on.

On another note I hope we do some business in January early, but I’m not that confident, I don’t get why we have a short term transfer consultant, unless the person they want will only come in the summer.