Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

30 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

I wasn't expecting a result today but wanted us to be competitive. I think we were that, without creating all that much. We're still building foundations, after all. 

Another thing.... are PL referees not allowed to send Sadio Mane off? It's nearly every match he makes a ridiculously silly challenge or decision but referees & VAR let him off lightly. His challenge on Dubravka was shocking and in the letter of the law, a red card. Surely? Doesn't change the result today but until he's punished for such recklessness then he'll keep doing it. 🤷‍♂️

One thing that has bugged me about football for a while is how red cards are often just a game loss if they're given early, but irrelevant if given very late. It absolutely influences referee decision making, without even getting to the subjectivity involved. I wish there was a system that could make the punishment for a reckless tackle the same no matter what point in the game. 

Only idea I've had is red card = player is removed, team plays a man down for 10-15 minutes, then is allowed to bring on a different 11th player using a substitution. A lot of the beauty of the game is supposed to be the simplicity of the rules, but Lord have mercy has VAR done away with that. 

On 30/04/2022 at 14:35, Dai_ said:

I wasn't expecting a result today but wanted us to be competitive. I think we were that, without creating all that much. We're still building foundations, after all. 

Another thing.... are PL referees not allowed to send Sadio Mane off? It's nearly every match he makes a ridiculously silly challenge or decision but referees & VAR let him off lightly. His challenge on Dubravka was shocking and in the letter of the law, a red card. Surely? Doesn't change the result today but until he's punished for such recklessness then he'll keep doing it. 🤷‍♂️

I resisted posting about Mane due to my obvious Man City bias but the last two matches have been laughable. With Mane pushing / slapping two Everton players in the face and then yesterday a studs up challenge above the knee. 

If anyone had gone in on Alison like that, the reds supporters would be in uproar.

Lets not forget, multiple players have been sent off this season winning the ball but their momentum ends up negatively impacting the opponent. 

Sure every team gets 'lucky' sometimes. Rodri should have conceded a penalty against Everton but some teams appear to get the decisions more often than not and the media have a habit of glossing over some decisions (a suprise given 3 ex Liverpool pros sat in a studio lol). 

I think it was summed up perfectly during the Everton game. 

Commentator - 'Liverpool have not conceded a penalty at Anfield for over 14 months (and 47 premier League games home and away in total)

A few moments later - Gordon barged in the back when through on goal.

I actually laughed out loud which is rare for me (Captain Serious). 

Not to mention Klopp berating / intimidating the ref before the kick off out on the pitch before the Newcastle game.

A fantastic title run in. Let the football decide the outcome please. 

Edited by billy2shots
7 hours ago, billy2shots said:

I resisted posting about Mane due to my obvious Man City bias but the last two matches have been laughable. With Mane pushing / slapping two Everton players in the face and then yesterday a studs up challenge above the knee. 

If anyone had gone in on Alison like that, the reds supporters would be in uproar.

Lets not forget, multiple players have been sent off this season winning the ball but their momentum ends up negatively impacting the opponent. 

Sure every team gets 'lucky' sometimes. Rodri should have conceded a penalty against Everton but some teams appear to get the decisions more often than not and the media have a habit of glossing over some decisions (a suprise given 3 ex Liverpool pros sat in a studio lol). 

I think it was summed up perfectly during the Everton game. 

Commentator - 'Liverpool have not conceded a penalty at Anfield for over 14 months (and 47 premier League games home and away in total)

A few moments later - Gordon barged in the back when through on goal.

I actually laughed out loud which is rare for me (Captain Serious). 

Not to mention Klopp berating / intimidating the ref before the kick off out on the pitch before the Newcastle game.

A fantastic title run in. Let the football decide the outcome please. 

Always love a Billy post. 🤩

17 hours ago, Rob said:

Always love a Billy post. 🤩

Have you seen the Mane challenge from behind the goal footage?

It's bad! He didnt get nudged by Lascelles so that wasnt a factor and regardless of wether he meant it or not it was studs high and across Dubravka's thigh. Should of been a Red and would of been anywhere else.

5 hours ago, Woody said:

It's bad! He didnt get nudged by Lascelles so that wasnt a factor and regardless of wether he meant it or not it was studs high and across Dubravka's thigh. Should of been a Red and would of been anywhere else.

Ain’t see any of it. Not actually seen any of the footy from the weekend.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Ain’t see any of it. Not actually seen any of the footy from the weekend.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Edited by Dai_
On 02/05/2022 at 10:36, Woody said:

Definitely a red card for me.

Feels good to dampen pools title hopes, especially after the absurd shite that Fabinho gets away with. Should've been off 3 full times yesterday

Edited by hhooo
1 hour ago, hhooo said:

Feels good to dampen pools title hopes, especially after the absurd shite that Fabinho gets away with. Should've been off 3 full times yesterday

You obviously didn't get the memo. Liverpool players can do no wrong. 🙄

Newcastle today: ‘Mane definitely should have got a red card the other day. Let’s get revenge on Liverpool.’

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Newcastle today: ‘Mane definitely should have got a red card the other day. Let’s get revenge on Liverpool.’

Men against boys. 

We're safe. That's all that matters this season. Would have been nice to of given them a game (we had a few decent chances) seeing as we're one of the best teams in the League this calender year but I think we were possibly getting ahead of ourselves and needed brought back down to earth.

I'm just absolutely delighted that we weren't in need of a miracle in these last few games to keep us up. Our hard work was done and its all about what we do in the summer.

Oh, and possibly helping stop any quadruple is a good thing. 😝🤣

5 hours ago, Ashez said:

KDB 👏👏👏👏👏👏

We are so fortunate that our big players really step up when needed.

Toure drove us to catch UTD one year.

Obviously Aguerooo.

Kompany with that belter against Leicester

Now KDB.

I think he had the bit between his teeth because of EBH stealing the limelight.

No central defenders left and getting by with a left winger as a full back again.

West Ham is make or break. Bowen could secure his move to Liverpool.

Edited by billy2shots

Buzzing after the derby beatdown. We need our friends in the house of Saud to do us a favor against (literally) defenseless arse on Monday. Are they up to it?

Edited by hhooo
3 hours ago, hhooo said:

Buzzing after the derby beatdown. We need our friends in the house of Saud to do us a favor against (literally) defenseless arse on Monday. Are they up to it?

Doubt it. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Dai_ said:

Couldn't write it.....

I'm serious about next week! Bruno to snag another brace?

What drama 👏👏

When it's going for you it's going for you, a deflected first, an own goal and the opposition shitting the bed with an open goal. 

Thankfully they bottled the chance to wrap it up, you're either mentality monsters or you're not 🎣🎣🎣. Milner on his £130k a week wins you the league there 🎣🎣🎣

I'm just messing, I've said throughout I think City win it. 45mins of "what if" was fun mind. Not even sure we've a squad to field Tuesday 😂. Obviously I want to keep the dream alive even if it's half hearted but I wouldn't have minded if you lot wrapped it up so we could rest with the big one in mind. Keeping the dream alive just means we need to go a tad strong mid week now, especially as we need goals. Big night for Origi I think against opposition are used to having their pants pulled down. 

The headlines will all be about how Arsenal have blown their chance at Champions League football. As it should. They have been woeful. Actually, worse than woeful but our performance has been nothing short of brilliant! To a man, absolutely superb!

◼️◻️◼️◻️❤️

Eddie Howe has to be manager of the year. What an incredible performance! 

Also, today I learned that Dwight Gayle is still a footballer.

9 minutes ago, hhooo said:

Get online and vote for our Eddie mate. Klopp is currently leading by 3%. It'll be a travesty if Howe doesn't get it. Klopp has done decent (😂) but it's based on League performance and Klopp was expected to do well. Nobody expected Howe to do what he has.

Gayle has been an unused sub for most of the season. Lol! I've wanted to see more of him because he'd probably do OK in a team that goes forward like alot of these players are now.

Last night capped off a great second half of the season. With the right signings and a full season behind us I have every belief that Eddie will take us into the Top 8 

Took my T-shirt off and slapped my belly for two hours last night, supporting the Toon against the Goon - my mate painted some black stripes on his white Spurs shirt - and was delighted in the result.

Obviously I like Spurs - Weymouth too - so the result was massive for CL, but I am so pleased for Eddie Howe and the job he’s done. I just hope he’s given the opportunity to spend a bit of cash and not just dumped of there is a poor run of form, which I’m sure he won’t be.

Spurs losing to Norwich this weekend would be the most Spursy thing ever, so let’s not underestimate their ability to do it, but this has been a good season. Two excellent teams challenging for the title, Chelsea just holding on for third, a hilariously naff ‘battle’ for fourth, and a semi interesting relegation battle.

And let’s never undervalue and underappreciate actually having fans back. 

11 hours ago, hhooo said:

Er, what? Spend a load of money and get a few points - what about Sir Thomas Frank?! :D

I'll tell you who watched that nervously last night - BURNLEY. They probably thought that even if they lose at Vanilla Park on Thursday, they should be able to get a result at home against the Toon... but now, they might really be in trouble...

4 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

Er, what? Spend a load of money and get a few points - what about Sir Thomas Frank?! :D

Frank has done a very good job but Eddie saving us from relegation when we hadn't won in 14 games, first ever side to do that defo deserves it. We spent money but we still had to perform on the pitch and we did.

The shame for both our hopes of Eddie or Frank winning it is neither will. It will likely go to Klopp ( he's leading the vote) as people are being swayed by Liverpool's performances in the CL and both cups rather than solely in the Prem