Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

Quick straw poll then: had Salah not dived and then the ball gone out for, say, a corner... would the ref have given a pen?

I say ‘no’. Which sucks.

Yeah I don’t like to see it when it’s so blatant like the one Salah got against Newcastle on Boxing Day.  There was contact that day too so even with VAR it would probably be given but it was too much for me that one. We hardly ever get penalties in the league at Anfield and probably get more against us so I’m looking forward VAR as I think we’ll get a lot more tbh.

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

Everything has set up for an United performance on Wednesday but will they deliver?!

I’ve seen a couple of occasions like this where the roles have been reversed. The first was Blackburn coming to Anfield under Kenny Dalglish and a defeat for us would give Blackburn the title.

I went to my Granny’s to watch the match as we didn’t have sky at the time. Anyway I was so young I didn’t know all the details and was just supporting Liverpool (my team). Anyway my poor granny (who had dementia at that stage) would comment multiple times that she really liked Kenny Dalglish.

I didn’t know then that her son (my dad) had met him, more on that at a later date.

Anyway we actually managed to win against Blackburn but Man U couldn’t beat West Ham so Blackburn still won the league.

The second occasion when this happened was an Anfield tie against Chelsea in 2010 and to say we didn’t try a leg would be an understatement and I’m quite embarrassed about that even now.

The enjoyment you get from other teams misfortune only lasts so long imo.

Edited by 1759
13 hours ago, Rob said:

Quick straw poll then: had Salah not dived and then the ball gone out for, say, a corner... would the ref have given a pen?

I say ‘no’. Which sucks.

Totally right. He had no choice but the Cardiff lad had his hands all over him. VAR next season would have seen that though.

7 hours ago, Woody said:

Totally right. He had no choice but the Cardiff lad had his hands all over him. VAR next season would have seen that though.

Var is going to make such a difference next season and should hopefully improve the games!

VAR is a joke and it won't improve the games at all, it'll also make the matchday experience worse for the fans in attendance and even for the people watching at home. You won't be able to celebrate goals anymore as there'll always be that doubt as to whether it's going to be checked by the idiots operating the screens or if it's going to be ruled out or not. Once you take instantaneous reactions out of football as a fan then there's almost nothing left.

Not to mention it doesn't even settle issues once and for all as everyone has their differing views as to what a foul is, as you can see by the discussion above in this thread, and it's no different to match officials. Every referee will have differing views as to what constitutes a foul or a handball so how can VAR come to the "correct" decision?

Quite frankly I'm pleased that my club are going to be nowhere near it for the foreseeable future.

57 minutes ago, samhardy said:

VAR is a joke and it won't improve the games at all, it'll also make the matchday experience worse for the fans in attendance and even for the people watching at home. You won't be able to celebrate goals anymore as there'll always be that doubt as to whether it's going to be checked by the idiots operating the screens or if it's going to be ruled out or not. Once you take instantaneous reactions out of football as a fan then there's almost nothing left.

Not to mention it doesn't even settle issues once and for all as everyone has their differing views as to what a foul is, as you can see by the discussion above in this thread, and it's no different to match officials. Every referee will have differing views as to what constitutes a foul or a handball so how can VAR come to the "correct" decision?

Quite frankly I'm pleased that my club are going to be nowhere near it for the foreseeable future.

Funnily enough I was thinking about VAR earlier and was thinking of you celebrating yesterday’s goal and how it will impact on those moments. 

I was always dead against VAR but have slightly came around to it recently but I think that’s just because I know it’s coming in so have to try and make it work somehow.

I think it will even if only slightly improve the percentage of correct decisions but whether it’ll be worth it or not remains to be seen.

Take Liverpool for example. Now I haven’t been to a game for a good while but I don’t think much has changed whereby the atmosphere for 90% of home games is just shite so anything that is going to hinder that further will have to be worth it imo.

Just now, Nucleus said:

Hoping Spurs do Brighton over tonight for  the sake of Cardiff!

Hopefully Cardiff can win all their remaining games, it would be good to have at least one Welsh team in the prem!

4 minutes ago, Zakan said:

Hopefully Cardiff can win all their remaining games, it would be good to have at least one Welsh team in the prem!

Their fixture list ain’t bad at all tbf. They’ve got Fulham away next followed by Palace at home so that’s a very achievable 4 points there. Their last game is against us and if our season is over by then you should expect Solskjaer to give the young lads a go so they could snatch a draw there!

Just now, Nucleus said:

Their fixture list ain’t bad at all tbf. They’ve got Fulham away next followed by Palace at home so that’s a very achievable 4 points there. Their last game is against us and if our season is over by then you should expect Solskjaer to give the young lads a go so they could snatch a draw there!

Anything is possible and with Fulham down and palace safe both seasons are practically over anyway. Could even snatch 6 points 🙏 Brighton have quite a tough last few games as well so I don't see them causing too much of an upset

Just now, Zakan said:

Anything is possible and with Fulham down and palace safe both seasons are practically over anyway. Could even snatch 6 points 🙏 Brighton have quite a tough last few games as well so I don't see them causing too much of an upset

Let’s hope for the best then! 😁

Well done to Accrington on all but securing their L1 status tonight. For me that's the best achievement in English football this season and he won't get it but John Coleman should be a shoe in for manager of the year.

Is that a rare greater spotted Matteo Darmian I see in the United line up tonight? Well polish my nuts, we really are going to bend over and take it tonight aren’t we! 😫

4 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Is that a rare greater spotted Matteo Darmian I see in the United line up tonight? Well polish my nuts, we really are going to bend over and take it tonight aren’t we! 😫

Part of a back three you think? 

1 minute ago, Ashez said:

Part of a back three you think? 

Back 2 and a half. Ashley Young’s playing 😂

added 0 minutes later
Just now, samhardy said:

Linesman is a Liverpool fan! 😂

Aren’t they all? 😛

Frustrating as it did feel like United to get something but after the first goal their heads went, the defending for the second was dreadful. 

I said I was hoping until Leicester so we'll see, let's just get by Huddersfield now and then focus on Barca as that's likely out best bet now. City without Fernandinho potentially and KDB are alot weaker though

Yeah disappointed not to get something out of that match tbh. Felt like we played well up until the first goal, you could argue we were the better team in the first half. Our lack of creativity is shocking though! Fred can’t pass a ball to save his life and DDG is having a season to forget. If we do decide to keep Pogba beyond the summer then it’s vital we get a midfielder that can compliment him in the centre. Summer transfer market is going to be fun! 🙄

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

@1759 Rumours all over Twitter Firmino is out for season?!?!!

Massive blow if true and a CL game changer imo :(

I’ve just seen now that they are saying he’s just out tonight with a slight muscle strain so hopefully that’s correct as I agree we won’t have much chance against Barca if he’s not playing. 

Ox is on the bench tho.😀

I'm happy Sturridge is getting a chance but yeah Barca without Bobby is a worry. I actually hoped we'd rest Bobby tonight as that's how vital I see him verse Barca but now he might not play :(. 

Hopefully get tonight won early and give Ox and Gomez a run