Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

5 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Well he is a division lower than he was with Sheff Utd last year and he will definitely get games for us although with Whyte leaving it might be out wide.

He got really bigger up after putting in some great performances for Wales and I don’t think it really helped him. I think it should be a good league for him at this stage as he’s still really young so I hope he does well. 

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

He got really bigger up after putting in some great performances for Wales and I don’t think it really helped him. I think it should be a good league for him at this stage as he’s still really young so I hope he does well. 

Hat trick on Saturday would be good and maybe getting Max Power sent off as well.

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

Pulis tearing his hair out watching that @smoggy90 :P

What a game!! Two worldies and an all round great game to watch. If Britt sticks that pen away we win. 

Like you say mate, Pulis wouldn’t like that. The fans certainly do. We can take dropping points if our team is having a go and creating. That was lacking under Pulis. 

Really want it to work out for Woodgate. 

Another season of disappointment lies ahead then, exactly the same as last season that. Oxford will finish above us. Seriously would like to see what they get up to in training.

15 minutes ago, Foxy said:

One sartorial expert who was at the game described it as a “1930’s style waistcoat”.

😭😭😭

He does seem genuine in his appreciation of the fans to be fair. Nothing worse than when someone does it when they don’t mean it though.

I didn't get to watch much of the shield due to being at a family event, I saw bits and from what I saw, the highlights and the stats we battered them but Salah wasted like 6 chances lol, is that in fact the case? Or was it a more even match? 

40 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I didn't get to watch much of the shield due to being at a family event, I saw bits and from what I saw, the highlights and the stats we battered them but Salah wasted like 6 chances lol, is that in fact the case? Or was it a more even match? 

I only listened to it Ash and seemed we were poor first half but still had chances. Sounded like we totally dominated the second half. I actually haven’t had much confidence in us going into this season as I just couldn’t see us anywhere near matching last season but yesterday has given me belief that we can have another go at it this season. 

44 minutes ago, Ian said:

I only listened to it Ash and seemed we were poor first half but still had chances. Sounded like we totally dominated the second half. I actually haven’t had much confidence in us going into this season as I just couldn’t see us anywhere near matching last season but yesterday has given me belief that we can have another go at it this season. 

The added matches are one concern as is the pressure of repeating last year tbh, I'm optimistic but just hoping we challenge and see where we end up. I do hope we take the domestic cups more seriously this year though, historically when we've nearly won the league we collapse and fell apart the following season which is the one thing we can't have happen this year, we need to stay in the race. 

My biggest fear would have to be a big injury to Becker, VVD or one the front three though. Understandably we can't have as good back ups for the defensive duo but I do think we're missing a trick not getting a like for like back up in the wide areas. I rate Origi, Shaqiri and Wilson deserves a chance yet they play completely differently to our other forwards which changes how we play. 

I keep thinking back to the lost CL final and how subbing Salah for Lallana just killed our attack, granted I know that's a one off and unfair as Lallana wasn't fit but removing that frightening pace from our attack hurts us. At the time I remember screaming for Moreno to replace Salah of all players 😂

The one thing stopping me screaming from the roof tops for a Salah/Mane back up is purely because I have no idea who I'd even want in that position lol. The fact all three had long summers and that they burnt out in the last two seasons for a spell which arguably cost us titles just worries me. I suppose I'm also not really considering Oxlade returning to the wing but that's because I like him central, I suppose we need alot from him and Keita this season. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

The added matches are one concern as is the pressure of repeating last year tbh, I'm optimistic but just hoping we challenge and see where we end up. I do hope we take the domestic cups more seriously this year though, historically when we've nearly won the league we collapse and fell apart the following season which is the one thing we can't have happen this year, we need to stay in the race. 

My biggest fear would have to be a big injury to Becker, VVD or one the front three though. Understandably we can't have as good back ups for the defensive duo but I do think we're missing a trick not getting a like for like back up in the wide areas. I rate Origi, Shaqiri and Wilson deserves a chance yet they play completely differently to our other forwards which changes how we play. 

I keep thinking back to the lost CL final and how subbing Salah for Lallana just killed our attack, granted I know that's a one off and unfair as Lallana wasn't fit but removing that frightening pace from our attack hurts us. At the time I remember screaming for Moreno to replace Salah of all players 😂

The one thing stopping me screaming from the roof tops for a Salah/Mane back up is purely because I have no idea who I'd even want in that position lol. The fact all three had long summers and that they burnt out in the last two seasons for a spell which arguably cost us titles just worries me. I suppose I'm also not really considering Oxlade returning to the wing but that's because I like him central, I suppose we need alot from him and Keita this season. 

Yeah I had thought we’d have done more business than we have which is what has concerned me. I still think we’ll sign one player for big money say £30-60m but I have no idea who although I remember getting a shock when we went in for Ox a couple of years ago towards end of window and I think something like that may happen again.

Really feel we need a back up left back but Klopp seems happy with our options there so I’ve given up on that one. 

Just see what happens but at least a forward would be my main want as Sturridge featured a lot more than people realise last year and I know Klopp is hyping up Brewster but I wouldn’t want to have to rely on him at this stage. 

Midfield is tricky as I often feel like we need a more creative type in there but I think Klopp wants the dribbling driving type and with Ox getting back to fitness and Keita hopefully having an improved season we may be ok.

Anyway I’m looking forward to the season now I have to say. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Really feel we need a back up left back but Klopp seems happy with our options there so I’ve given up on that one. 

I expected two full backs or at least someone who could play both sides so getting none has surprised me. Granted Gomez and Milner can play both sides and two of the kids have done okay in pre season at LB so I'm not raging we signed no one but with how we played last season an injury to Robbo or Trent would again mean we have to change style, Our FBs were vital to our success and removing Trent/Robbo from the team weakens us alot in attack and defensively. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Just see what happens but at least a forward would be my main want as Sturridge featured a lot more than people realise last year and I know Klopp is hyping up Brewster but I wouldn’t want to have to rely on him at this stage. 

Agreed, I assume Origi and Brewster are expected to carry the slack of removing Sturridge which is okay, but having to rely on either for a prolonged spell is a concern. I think what's hurt us in many ways is Arsenal and our previous business as look at the prices for Zaha/Pepe being thrown around, historically you'd expect those to be £30-40m players like Salah/Mane were but that price has doubled, spending £80 on a back up is tough, especially for one who'd have to understand they may not feature much. If you aren't willing to spend the £80m for the type of player we need you start looking at more risky potential solutions that would likely still cost what we paid for Mane which might end up more like Markovic than Salah. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Midfield is tricky as I often feel like we need a more creative type in there but I think Klopp wants the dribbling driving type and with Ox getting back to fitness and Keita hopefully having an improved season we may be ok.

I'm not knocking the midfield too much as while it can be bland it also pressed extremely well and offers so much protection, that midfield got us a record points tally and a CL win so I'm fully behind them. Especially as Keita was starting to shine last season and because I think Oxlade could play a big role for us. I expect Milner to feature less as the season goes on, so it depends how Gini and Henderson perform from there. 

Or we do what the rumours suggest and bring back Coutinho, which I'm mixed on. I do feel we've moved passed his style of play yet I can't deny his quality. I'm just not sure he's suited to our wing play anymore or disciplined enough to play central, however with how impressive Gini and Fabinho were last season maybe they could cover the Brazilian's lack of defensive awareness. As for would I bring back the "snake" I think I would, while his injury faking BS sucked and how he tried to ruin our season by issuing a transfer request before the first game it's nothing VVD didn't do to force his move, you can't have it both ways. 

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Or we do what the rumours suggest and bring back Coutinho, which I'm mixed on. I do feel we've moved passed his style of play yet I can't deny his quality. I'm just not sure he's suited to our wing play anymore or disciplined enough to play central, however with how impressive Gini and Fabinho were last season maybe they could cover the Brazilian's lack of defensive awareness. As for would I bring back the "snake" I think I would, while his injury faking BS sucked and how he tried to ruin our season by issuing a transfer request before the first game it's nothing VVD didn't do to force his move, you can't have it both ways. 

I’ve mentioned before that I wouldn’t entertain bringing him back but things change and I’ve changed my opinion as if we could do a good deal to bring him back I’d accept it. He’d be keen to impress and would be a good option at centre midfield or wide left if needed. 

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

think Oxlade could play a big role for us. 

Is the worry not that he might have lost some pace due to the injury? Saw a quote from him at the weekend saying that his mind wants him to do certain things but his body won’t let him and he wouldn’t be the first player to lose his pace following a serious injury.

5 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Is the worry not that he might have lost some pace due to the injury? Saw a quote from him at the weekend saying that his mind wants him to do certain things but his body won’t let him and he wouldn’t be the first player to lose his pace following a serious injury.

Yes that is the fear I’ve had with him as it was a long lay off. He doesn’t seem the type that could easily adapt his game either but we’ll just have to wait and see I suppose.

1 hour ago, Foxy said:

He's looked fresh in most of pre season so I'm not really worried yet, we'll know more when the season starts though. 

28 minutes ago, Foxy said:

@samhardy we need to come up with a new name for the Checkashit Trophy now the sponsor has changed.

End of an era for the premier competition in English football but it will forever be known as the Checkashit in spirit.

@Ashez has bottled going first in the PL table predictions this season so I will kick them off.

1. Manchester City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Spurs
  4. Arsenal
  5. Chelsea
  6. Manchester United
  7. Leicester
  8. Everton
  9. Wolves
  10. West Ham
  11. Bournemouth
  12. Southampton
  13. Watford
  14. Aston Villa
  15. Burnley
  16. Crystal Palace
  17. Norwich
  18. Brighton
  19. Newcastle
  20. Sheffield United
On 08/08/2019 at 20:28, samhardy said:

@Ashez has bottled going first in the PL table predictions this season so I will kick them off.

1. Manchester City
  2. Liverpool
  3. Spurs
  4. Arsenal
  5. Chelsea
  6. Manchester United
  7. Leicester
  8. Everton
  9. Wolves
  10. West Ham
  11. Bournemouth
  12. Southampton
  13. Watford
  14. Aston Villa
  15. Burnley
  16. Crystal Palace
  17. Norwich
  18. Brighton
  19. Newcastle
  20. Sheffield United

What!! 

Top the league 💪

In all seriousness it's a great win but in that situation City would have gone on to score 5/6+. If we saved energy or attacked less once a game was won I'd understand but we don't, we just aren't ruthless enough.

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Top the league 💪

In all seriousness it's a great win but in that situation City would have gone on to score 5/6+. If we saved energy or attacked less once a game was won I'd understand but we don't, we just aren't ruthless enough.

Can’t defend either and a better team than Norwich would have taken advantage of that far more.