Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

That month without Salah and Mane. 😳

Yep, it's also January iirc which is a month Klopp has struggled with every year after the Xmas period. 

So basically if you see us linked to any African forwards I'd ignore them 😂. Jota Bobby and Elliot for that period 😂

Not digging anyone out because I don't watch enough matches but are there parallels this season at Liverpool with Klopp's last at Dortmund? A bit of a cycle of building and achieving before the need for a recharge/rebuild. It will be good to watch and see if Klopp can be ruthless enough in the style of (dare I mention when talking about Liverpool) Ferguson? A big year for him I think to see if he is a great manager or just a brilliant one?!

2 minutes ago, StuartM said:

Not digging anyone out because I don't watch enough matches but are there parallels this season at Liverpool with Klopp's last at Dortmund? A bit of a cycle of building and achieving before the need for a recharge/rebuild. It will be good to watch and see if Klopp can be ruthless enough in the style of (dare I mention when talking about Liverpool) Ferguson? A big year for him I think to see if he is a great manager or just a brilliant one?!

It's true Klopp has a history of running players into the ground and then replacing them. However I don't think this situation is that comparable as Dortmund got repeatedly done by losing their stars and the replacements didn't live up to expectations. 

We were top the league at Xmas. All the issue came when the CB issues got worse and Klopp started messing around with the midfield and CBs. The midfield especially has been over used and thin this season, results improved once we were forced to throw Phillips in and we moved Fabinho back into midfield. 

The likes of Firmino and Mane just need a break I think which we've not been able to give them, then the defensive issues have limited the WBs and the midfield balance which is why I believe their output is down. I would argue however Firmino is likely passed his best at this point. 

I do agree we do need a ruthless window from Klopp, players like Origi have clearly not got his trust yet they rot on the bench. Personally I rate Origi, I think with a run of games at the right club he'd be a decent PL striker, he just doesn't suit us now, but I could see him getting 15+ for the right club. Then again how much of that is the owners unwillingness to spend, Remember when we won the CL all we signed was a kid and a back up GK. We didn't improve in a position of strength  

The biggest unanswered question for me is can Liverpool do it for an entire season given the stress Klopp's style places on the players. 

His tactics (as well as players moving on) took theo tole at Dortmund and that was a 34 game league season with a lovely winter break. 

History does not look favourably when a busy period comes around. It is absolutely undeniable that Liverpool have a problem when the games come thick and fast.

For me it was such a shame that the season covid impacted things the way it did happened to be the year Liverpool finally got over the line. 

Liverpool were great before the break and 99% would have won the league anyway but there will always be a slight question mark over Klopp's heavy metal style lasting an entire premiership season. Without a winter break (or covid interruption)will his philosophy run players into the ground or see injuries leading to big drop offs in form?

The jury is still out for me personally.

First season 1 win from 6 games after New year's day 

Second season 1 out of  7 after New year's Day. 

Third season was better.

Forth season 3 wins from 7 games after New year's.

Fifth season was Covid and all that brought.

Sixth season (This season) 2 wins from the first 9 after New year's.

Dropping off that badly after the turn of the year for one or two seasons is fair enough but remove the covid season and we see big down turns in form from 4 out of 5 seasons that Klopp has been in charge.

Too tough a task master?

Simple answer is the squad isn't good enough, the XI is world class but we've not been able or willing to rotate like we should. Only this season have we had a front three back up for example who was injured for that period. When Klopp takes chances and rotates it backfires so he tries not to which results in fatigue and injuries. We simply need a better squad. If we had a £500m bench like City I'm sure we could rotate alot better etc. 

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Simple answer is the squad isn't good enough, the XI is world class but we've not been able or willing to rotate like we should. Only this season have we had a front three back up for example who was injured for that period. When Klopp takes chances and rotates it backfires so he tries not to which results in fatigue and injuries. We simply need a better squad. If we had a £500m bench like City I'm sure we could rotate alot better etc. 

I guess he chose to break the world record on a GK then a CB. Possibly would have been better buying 3 or 4 players with that money. 

30 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

I guess he chose to break the world record on a GK then a CB. Possibly would have been better buying 3 or 4 players with that money. 

Some clubs actually have to make decisions. 

VVD came first btw. 

22 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Our incredible second half comebacks continue, it's getting beyond a joke now 😂. 31 points from losing positions is just bizarre. Ole must be whipping out the white at HT

Looks like you boys just like giving teams head starts and they find it fun to come back from behind.

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Seems like anyone can scrape themselves in to the league one play-off this year.

And I believe Sunderland can play Oxford in the final. @samhardy vs @FuddledFox would be fun.

It’s mad that we made the playoffs considering the topsy turvy season we have had. Around November/December it looked like a relegation battle for us tbh but we stuck by KR and got the rewards.

As for an Oxford v Sunderland final I wouldn’t bet on either us to beat Blackpool or them to beat Lincoln as god knows what’s happened to Sunderland since they beat us and looked good for automatic promotion. If we do play them at Wembley though they will need to bring the riot police in just to keep the benches apart after the antics a few weeks ago which had lead to a 4 match touchline ban for KR and a 6 match ban for the Sunderland assman.

53 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Potentially close to having Big Sam and Sunderland back in the same division 😮

I doubt it as it’s only a matter of time before Pep sees sense and follows Richard Keys’ “sound” advice.

image.thumb.jpeg.e33d784d2617782d45c57bfb0e88eb2f.jpeg

5 minutes ago, FuddledFox said:

I doubt it as it’s only a matter of time before Pep sees sense and follows Richard Keys’ “sound” advice.

image.thumb.jpeg.e33d784d2617782d45c57bfb0e88eb2f.jpeg

Honestly the bloke is mental, I never remember him being like this when he was on sky but I was young. The stuff he’s come out with the last few years about Newcastle and others have made him the person I hate the most out of pundits etc.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Honestly the bloke is mental, I never remember him being like this when he was on sky but I was young. The stuff he’s come out with the last few years about Newcastle and others have made him the person I hate the most out of pundits etc.

The best way to get attention and have everyone talking about you is to just talk shite and it doesn’t matter if it’s true or you even believe what you say. TalkSPORT have managed to build an entire radio station out of doing just that.

1 minute ago, FuddledFox said:

The best way to get attention and have everyone talking about you is to just talk shite and it doesn’t matter if it’s true or you even believe what you say. TalkSPORT have managed to build an entire radio station out of doing just that.

Yes you’re right there. Didn’t think of it like that. Trying to stay relevant. Wish he’d F off though.

1 hour ago, Dai_ said:

We're mathematically safe!

Can't accept so many mind numbingly poor performances again though. #BruceOut

Unfortunately Callum Wilson has saved his job for another year I think. 

49 minutes ago, Aaron Thornton said:

Unfortunately Callum Wilson has saved his job for another year I think. 

I think you're right.

The only thing that will remove Bruce from the position at Newcastle is a take over.

I doubt Ashley is going to stump up the cash to sack him, and I doubt he'll walk away.

But if the fans are back in the stadiums next year he's going to get to get shredded (like the cabbage in a kebab) by the home fans.

45 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

But if the fans are back in the stadiums next year he's going to get to get shredded (like the cabbage in a kebab) by the home fans.

It's sad that it has to come to that.

A takeover does look the only way to get both men out of your club, both are con artists and seem quite happy to piss off the fanbase for the benefit of their own wallets and ego's. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

It's sad that it has to come to that.

A takeover does look the only way to get both men out of your club, both are con artists and seem quite happy to piss off the fanbase for the benefit of their own wallets and ego's. 

I think if fans had been in the stadium since the start of the season, he would have gone in Jan. He'd lost the dressing room and the results were shocking.

The problem is I doubt anyone wants the job, not with Ashley in charge at the minute. Everyone's seen how he treated Rafa, it's probably the biggest poison chalice in English football (if not European there is). Also the "threat" of a takeover that could happen at any point means the job would not be safe enough for it to be thought of as anything other than caretaker.

The media portray the fans as wanting Europe and silverware all the time, yes it'd be nice. But most, if not all Newcastle fans just want a team that was enjoyable to watch. Rafa proved that you didn't have to win things to have the entire fan base behind you (pretty much, there were still some people saying he was to defensive, but they're the deluded ones that go on TalkSport and say we should be pushing for titles and Europe every year).

I reckon most Newcastle fans realise nothing is going to change until the takeover/court case/tribunal/dice are thrown/toys are thrown/big 6 decide/the wind changes/the groundhog comes out and says it's summer/the glitch in the matrix is fixed/Ashley's favourite pub gets rid of it's fireplace/Bacon is taxed higher as it's a European import/god knows what else, is over and the dust settles there's going to be no change. But we still need it to be made heard that we're not happy about it!

I may wish to withdraw a few statements made in this thread in the previous few months, mainly the ones containing the words “Sunderland”, “going” and “up”.

15 hours ago, samhardy said:

I may wish to withdraw a few statements made in this thread in the previous few months, mainly the ones containing the words “Sunderland”, “going” and “up”.

how come?

City won the EPL and no one has said anything. All seems a bit flat.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

how come?

It’s been a normality now 😎

15 hours ago, samhardy said:

Combining “Sunderland”, “going” and “up” is a crime. No one can deny this

added 0 minutes later
1 minute ago, Rich said:

Everyone on here are Newcastle fans, so would only be busy if we won it 😝

@Rob supports Tottenham. He’s a traitor 

3 hours ago, Rob said:

how come?

Unfortunately City's achievements are always followed by negative comments so us fans have learned over the years to keep things to ourselves.

I will defend us when people start throwing the obvious accusations around and highlight how other teams matchup in similar areas.

But I personally won't engage with celebratioairy posts on the internet. 

It's sad because a lot of football fans can look beyond the money and see the undoubted beautiful football , the evolution of certain tactics/player roles etc, but some can't and will bring things down to the lowest common denominator. Shame really.

As I always say, we are made to feel guilty for spending our own money but other clubs are lorded for going into debt or partnership with investors who want to use clubs as a cash cow. Anyway, enough of that or I will go into full on rant mode. 

Edited by billy2shots

More often than not the teams that spend the most win stuff. Its just how it is.

I'm a fan of how City play(not as boring as Barca). They deserved to win it and have been the best team so fair play. I dont know who will win the CC though as it will hopefully be a good game.

I dont get how its a fairytale season though if they do the treble like some have said! Leicester winning the Prem was a fairytale, Blackburn winning the Prem was a fairytale. Dont get me wrong if they do win the treble it will be an absolutely brilliant season.