Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic European Football

Eoin

Barcelona beating Atletico 4-2 today. The best midfielder ever, and my favourite ever footballer, Xavi, is doing a fine job as manager.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Barcelona beating Atletico 4-2 today. The best midfielder ever, and my favourite ever footballer, Xavi, is doing a fine job as manager.

good job?, if Barcelona is in the Europa League and more points behind the leader than with Koeman

1 minute ago, DoneHisCruciate said:

Modrić is pure class.

The sliding tackle on Messi was brilliant.

Then the interception, run and pass for the second.. 36 years old?!

When you reach the World Cup final with Croatia either you're playing FMM or you're one of the best. 

4 hours ago, JamesVilla said:

Do we have any Sporting CP fans on here? 

I was at the Man City game Wednesday night, and my god, your fans were superb. Credit where credit is due. 

A mate I work with knowing a family who support them. Proper footy fans. 

It’s making me wonder who’s left from the over 34 club..

Neuer, Vertonghen, Otamendi, Milner, Fernandinho, Modrić, Benzema, Suárez, Chiellini, Bonucci, Albiol, Iborra, Fonte, Yilmaz, Ben Arfa, Silva

I think every team left still has one. 
Who’s going to be the last man standing?

I guess it must be time to do a last hurrah challenge.

Edited by DoneHisCruciate
7 hours ago, lonfo said:

Both Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi are out of the CL now.

Hadn’t thought of this. In a balanced judgement, I’d love to know where most people ranked their current standards these days against others.

23 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hadn’t thought of this. In a balanced judgement, I’d love to know where most people ranked their current standards these days against others.

It’s difficult to know because both of their clubs can be bonkers at times. I was wondering today if Ronaldo regretted not going to the blue half of Manchester.

But, he still has a fantastic leap and can clearly still hit the ball well. He certainly hasn’t lost his drive to win either. And, it’s difficult to argue with his record this season—18 goals in 32. Joint second with Mane and Jota in the prem with 12. I’d have to say he’s still quality even if he does have a baby tantrum every time he doesn’t win a penalty.

I’d love West Ham to have a striker scoring at that rate. Although, to be honest, I’d settle for West Ham just having a striker.

Messi I haven’t seen play much this season. He’s much more difficult to read as well. Does he still care? I haven’t a scooby.

7 minutes ago, Woody said:

Thats the worst i've seen Liverpool play for yonks....that was a shocking 1st half!

The only other game I’ve watched in months was the Cup game against Man City the other week. I agree, they’ve been poor tonight but I’m still going with Liverpool to win as I think Villarreal will tire in the second half. 

44 minutes ago, Ian said:

The only other game I’ve watched in months was the Cup game against Man City the other week. I agree, they’ve been poor tonight but I’m still going with Liverpool to win as I think Villarreal will tire in the second half. 

Well....absolute garbage 1st half. Totally world class 2nd half. 🤣

Brilliant! Well done Liverpool.

We missed Bobby last night imo, we looked shocked in the first half and just couldn't keep hold of the ball up top. Midfields passing wasn't the best like but what do you expect when the forwards can't hold it up and the midfield is out numbered. 

Diaz stretching play while being able to hold onto the ball with Mane dropping a tad deeper changed the game. 

I really like Jota and he wasn't bad yesterday as such, but he's just a top poacher. His movement and finishing is quality but he's not in the build up play like Bobby or Mane, it feels like at times if Jota doesn't score he does nothing. Not a bad quality tbf but in some games it can be incredibly frustrating. By all accounts his movement is always good so he does create space for his partners but he's just not Bobby. I've felt it for most of the season and I've felt harsh about it since he's scored 20 odd goals, I always have to tell myself he's not Bobby and he plays the roll differently yet Bobby kinda was this system. Bobby doesn't score but at least you see him buzzing around the pitch and making things happen, Jota is more waiting for the chance to come etc. Love him regardless but this season has taken some adjusting to me personally and nights like last night don't help. Jota is just better suited to certain games I guess. He's scored 20 goals and he wouldn't be in my CL starting XI, that's mental! 

Turns out you can't buy European pedigree 🤷‍♂️

What a historic Champions League final we have now. Two European giants, Salah's chance at redemption and the third meeting between LFC and Ancelotti! 

Crazy to think we've been to 4 major European finals under Klopp! For what it's worth I really didn't want a City final as I can't imagine surviving watching that 😂

An extra 30 mins in the legs and a few mental scars, the quadruple dream lives on! 

I was never comfortable in that match even as 90 mini approached it didn't feel right. 

The lack of a second goal last night or 2/3 goal advantage in the first leg meant a window was left open for Madrid.

No excuses, we ballsed up big time. We should never have allowed the crowd to get into the game or put the ref under that pressure.

No striker has hurt us more than once this season but that's the most obvious it's been over those two legs. 

Just to be clear, we deserved to lose given what I said above and you can add in poor game management but , and you knew there would be a but. Some random feelings are-

- I would love to win the league and CL. If it had to be only one then the Prem is the bread and button so let's hope we do that. Can't be the best in Euroy if you are not the best in your own country. Obviously Liverpool and Real can be both this season. 

- The ref was way out of his depth. Casemiro should have had 4 yellow cards. Only 3 minutes of injury time at the end of extra time and he blew after 2min 50 anyway. Not saying we would have scored but 3 minutes considering NO football was actually played in that last 15 minutes.

- We need a striker and a left back. We have neither and you can't win trophies (or keep winning them) with square pegs in round holes. 

- how the actual fcuk did Real do that. They were awful in both legs and somehow got through scoring with pretty much every opportunity they had and they didn't have anything for 90 minutes last night. It boggles the mind 

- I always want the British team to win so come on Liverpool

2 hours ago, billy2shots said:

I was never comfortable in that match even as 90 mini approached it didn't feel right. 

The lack of a second goal last night or 2/3 goal advantage in the first leg meant a window was left open for Madrid.

No excuses, we ballsed up big time. We should never have allowed the crowd to get into the game or put the ref under that pressure.

No striker has hurt us more than once this season but that's the most obvious it's been over those two legs. 

Just to be clear, we deserved to lose given what I said above and you can add in poor game management but , and you knew there would be a but. Some random feelings are-

- I would love to win the league and CL. If it had to be only one then the Prem is the bread and button so let's hope we do that. Can't be the best in Euroy if you are not the best in your own country. Obviously Liverpool and Real can be both this season. 

- The ref was way out of his depth. Casemiro should have had 4 yellow cards. Only 3 minutes of injury time at the end of extra time and he blew after 2min 50 anyway. Not saying we would have scored but 3 minutes considering NO football was actually played in that last 15 minutes.

- We need a striker and a left back. We have neither and you can't win trophies (or keep winning them) with square pegs in round holes. 

- how the actual fcuk did Real do that. They were awful in both legs and somehow got through scoring with pretty much every opportunity they had and they didn't have anything for 90 minutes last night. It boggles the mind 

- I always want the British team to win so come on Liverpool

Do you think you'll bottle the league @billy2shots? Honestly I can't see us doing the quadruple, it's a fun ride and I'd love it to happen but I can't see it. I'm not sure where you drop points unless this hangover is brutal but at the same time it puts all your focus on the league. 

I said at work Monday I could see us messing up against Villarreal or Spurs, something about this week made me uneasy so that first half against Villarreal had my heart in my mouth. So I wouldn't be shocked if Spurs get something and as we play first that could be all you need. Hopefully not but I can't see us winning all 4 and you lot not. 

As for the FA and CL anything could happen, that's the beauty of a one off game. I want at least one more trophy and ideally one of the big two. I'll be gutted if we end the season with just the League Cup at this point but the journey has been incredible. I'm also so annoyed the FA Cup final is between Prem fixtures, like what the hell. 

We're in the Champions League Final due to our goalkeeper scoring against West Brom.......Whatever happens it's been a wild ride. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Do you think you'll bottle the league @billy2shots? Honestly I can't see us doing the quadruple, it's a fun ride and I'd love it to happen but I can't see it. I'm not sure where you drop points unless this hangover is brutal but at the same time it puts all your focus on the league. 

I said at work Monday I could see us messing up against Villarreal or Spurs, something about this week made me uneasy so that first half against Villarreal had my heart in my mouth. So I wouldn't be shocked if Spurs get something and as we play first that could be all you need. Hopefully not but I can't see us winning all 4 and you lot not. 

As for the FA and CL anything could happen, that's the beauty of a one off game. I want at least one more trophy and ideally one of the big two. I'll be gutted if we end the season with just the League Cup at this point but the journey has been incredible. I'm also so annoyed the FA Cup final is between Prem fixtures, like what the hell. 

We're in the Champions League Final due to our goalkeeper scoring against West Brom.......Whatever happens it's been a wild ride. 

I wouldn't call it bottling the league if we don't win it. 

But it's really 50/50 (stating the obvious). 

I was worried either way. I think the players will be incredibly down now so that could create some more poor performances/results.

On the flip side, Pep is the opposite to me and would favour the CL over the league. I have no doubt he would have played a weakened team at times in league games in preparation for a CL final had we made it. So that couy have gone against us. 

Still annoyed with him playing our B team in an FA Cup semi final.

I still fully expect some random youngsters or positiong fcukery from Pep. Great coach but arrogant trying to impress when there isn't the need. 

As for Liverpool then, they should win another couple of trophies from this point, only one more would be an anticlimax surely from this position. This is going to sound bonkers given last night's result but Real are very weak and easily beatable, the worst Real team for 15/20 years. Benfica-Villarreal in the 1/4 then 1/2s would be a bang tidy draw in the UEFA let alone CL so lady luck has certainly smiled on the Reds.

Those old enough to remember UTD do the treble will also remember their luck. Everyone is aware of the last minute goals Vs Bayern but there was also the Arsenal penalty miss followed by the Giggs run and goal.

They were 1 penalty conversation away from a mediocre season imho. This season has the whiff of that for Liverpool with the planets aligning for them. 

1 hour ago, billy2shots said:

I wouldn't call it bottling the league if we don't win it. 

But it's really 50/50 (stating the obvious). 

I was worried either way. I think the players will be incredibly down now so that could create some more poor performances/results.

On the flip side, Pep is the opposite to me and would favour the CL over the league. I have no doubt he would have played a weakened team at times in league games in preparation for a CL final had we made it. So that couy have gone against us. 

Still annoyed with him playing our B team in an FA Cup semi final.

I still fully expect some random youngsters or positiong fcukery from Pep. Great coach but arrogant trying to impress when there isn't the need. 

As for Liverpool then, they should win another couple of trophies from this point, only one more would be an anticlimax surely from this position. This is going to sound bonkers given last night's result but Real are very weak and easily beatable, the worst Real team for 15/20 years. Benfica-Villarreal in the 1/4 then 1/2s would be a bang tidy draw in the UEFA let alone CL so lady luck has certainly smiled on the Reds.

Those old enough to remember UTD do the treble will also remember their luck. Everyone is aware of the last minute goals Vs Bayern but there was also the Arsenal penalty miss followed by the Giggs run and goal.

They were 1 penalty conversation away from a mediocre season imho. This season has the whiff of that for Liverpool with the planets aligning for them. 

Not bottled it? Didn't you have like a 14 point lead? 🎣🎣🎣. If we steal the league from you it'll be deserved as the final points total from both will be insane, but it'll be more damaging to City than last night's implosion imo. Hell getting an insane point total and finishing second again by like a point could even damage us. Imagine City going without a trophy 😱

Like I said I personally don't see you dropping points now, especially if you get past this weekends fixture, which is only important if we beat Spurs. 

I think that's a harsh call, I'd be massively disappointed if we got one or none of the remaining titles available but nothing is a certainty. We've had tough fixtures verse Chelsea this season, who lets not forget beat you lot in the biggest game of them all last season. It's a one off game so anything can happen, for all we know if Chelsea didn't change keepers in the League Cup we'd might not be in such a situation (especially as they did batter us). As for Madrid I'd fancy ourselves but Madrid have been weak for years but look at what they've achieved regardless, they have the know how to win. I didn't fear them in 2018 and obviously things massively went against us with the Salah assault and the Karius concussion/mistakes but they know how to win better than anyone. Then as we've discussed the league is a mystery at this point. We're playing well unlike earlier in the season and we've shown for months we can win when playing like shit but these are big asks. Chelsea and Madrid are basically on holiday now until the cup finals, while we're still chasing you lot. We can't rest for the FA Cup unless we know the league is gone etc. All I know is these lads don't give up and they'll bring home what they can. 

If we win the Champions League we've beaten last season's and this season's Spanish Champions, last season's Seria A winner and likely this season's winner (if either Milan win it), likely this season's winner of the Portuguese league and the holder of the Europa League who knocked out the German Champions and Juventus. Maybe it's not as glamorous that we didn't knock out Bayern ourselves but Villarreal were there for a reason and still needed dealing with. 

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Not bottled it? Didn't you have like a 14 point lead? 🎣🎣🎣. If we steal the league from you it'll be deserved as the final points total from both will be insane, but it'll be more damaging to City than last night's implosion imo. Hell getting an insane point total and finishing second again by like a point could even damage us. Imagine City going without a trophy 😱

Like I said I personally don't see you dropping points now, especially if you get past this weekends fixture, which is only important if we beat Spurs. 

I think that's a harsh call, I'd be massively disappointed if we got one or none of the remaining titles available but nothing is a certainty. We've had tough fixtures verse Chelsea this season, who lets not forget beat you lot in the biggest game of them all last season. It's a one off game so anything can happen, for all we know if Chelsea didn't change keepers in the League Cup we'd might not be in such a situation (especially as they did batter us). As for Madrid I'd fancy ourselves but Madrid have been weak for years but look at what they've achieved regardless, they have the know how to win. I didn't fear them in 2018 and obviously things massively went against us with the Salah assault and the Karius concussion/mistakes but they know how to win better than anyone. Then as we've discussed the league is a mystery at this point. We're playing well unlike earlier in the season and we've shown for months we can win when playing like shit but these are big asks. Chelsea and Madrid are basically on holiday now until the cup finals, while we're still chasing you lot. We can't rest for the FA Cup unless we know the league is gone etc. All I know is these lads don't give up and they'll bring home what they can. 

If we win the Champions League we've beaten last season's and this season's Spanish Champions, last season's Seria A winner and likely this season's winner (if either Milan win it), likely this season's winner of the Portuguese league and the holder of the Europa League who knocked out the German Champions and Juventus. Maybe it's not as glamorous that we didn't knock out Bayern ourselves but Villarreal were there for a reason and still needed dealing with. 

I'm slightly embarrassed to say I have just had to look up Klopp's Liverpool success. Given the noise coming from Reds supporters I couldn't quite get my head around the excitement for a season of multiple trophies ,(par for the course at City). 

I now fully understand the excitement as it just doesn't happen often -

Since joining in October 2015 he / Liverpool have the following major trophies

1 X Premier League

1 X Champions League

1 X League Cup

Wow. Let's be honest. That's not a whole lot given the amount of noise.

On 03/03/2012 at 16:57, Eoin said:

Talk about any European League in this thread.

Just got into the foreign league scene, have been watching the Serie A and Liga BBVA and Bundeliga highlights a bit.

One point I must make is that Barcelona's away form has been dire and that's what's bringing them down. They've dropped 14 away from the Camp Nou and only dropped 2 at home. In contrast, Réal have only dropped 4 away, and only 7 all season. Your thoughts?

so true