Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic Nintendo

Ashez

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Any of you guys played Rocket League? (Apologies if already discussed)

It’s one of a few games I have absolutely zero interest in. So no 😂

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Haha, my next question was to ask what the single player is like 😭

Does it have couch multiplayer? That's something that would make it appeal more. 

9 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Does it have couch multiplayer? That's something that would make it appeal more. 

AdChoices
ADVERTISING

No idea. I just always see it mentioned in top Switch game lists and as it’s footy crossed with racing it sounded interesting.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

No idea. I just always see it mentioned in top Switch game lists and as it’s footy crossed with racing it sounded interesting.

I agree, I just knkw nothing about it lol. It's been on my lists for ages as it looks cool and has a physical release. 

17 hours ago, Rob said:

Any of you guys played Rocket League? (Apologies if already discussed)

I have like 15hours but only play multilayer with a friend 

Exciting potential news 

Screenshot_2019-01-26-11-16-44.thumb.png.b414b9b72f397268ab60364d0303f542.png

If/when it's released I'm not 100% sure I'd get it as I've got it on WiiU and I've played 1/2 but not the third. The reason I've not played the third though is to tempt me into a rerelease. I suppose the Wii one isn't HD and the Switch ports controls will be interesting so it'll be an interesting remake. 1+2 used the GameCube controller while the wii port remade them with pointer controls like the third, as yet I dunno if a joycon is up to pointer controls? Yet would going back to regular controls lose some magic?

I adored Prime 1, it sucked me in completely in a BOTW type experience, the second one however I finished but didn't enjoy half as much. 

Eek! Who caught my first post attempt?!? Screenshot revealed my squad number striker 😂😂😂, I've done that so many times!

Edited by Ashez

Don’t shoot me, but I’ve never really played Metroid. What sort of experience is it? It’s just never appealed to me in the visuals. 

(and, yep, I have owned pretty much every Nintendo console)

46 minutes ago, Rob said:

Don’t shoot me, but I’ve never really played Metroid. What sort of experience is it? It’s just never appealed to me in the visuals. 

(and, yep, I have owned pretty much every Nintendo console)

I hadn't until somewhat recently tbh mate, I think it's a series that's popular but loads have missed it, I don't know anyone who's player them tbf. 

On the WiiU VC I got Super Metroid and I loved it, so I also got Fusion and Zero Mission which were ace. I decided I loved 2D Metroid but I still wasn't convinced by 3D Metroid as in Prime. 

However I was intrigued enough I gave it a whirl and I fell head over heels with it. The atmosphere and exploration is just excellent, while it features shooting Metroid Prime isn't a FPS, it's all about exploring and puzzle solving. It's extremely similar to 3D Zelda just isolated and from a different point of view. So in the first you're exploring this planet and you'll find dead ends, jumps you can't make, doors you can't open and so on but by exploring you'll find upgrades which make those dead ends now the path forward, it's just really fun. 

Have you played the Arkham games? They're sort of 3D Metroidvania's as Batman needs to find upgrades to solve puzzles and progress. 

Never played the Arkham Games either, not have I played BotW. 😭 Generally if it doesn’t have Mario on the label I tend to avoid it. 👍

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

Never played the Arkham Games either, not have I played BotW. 😭 Generally if it doesn’t have Mario on the label I tend to avoid it. 👍

I’ve lost the past few days in BOTW! Absolutely amazing experience

57 minutes ago, Rob said:

That's the power of the little plumber! I was the same for a long time but I decided to branch out slowly to the core Nintendo ones, like I've never played a Star Fox game. 

That's the main reason I went Nintendo only for ages as with Nintendo I know what I'm getting and that's a top quality experience. Especially in the PS2 days I was finding games I was really hit and miss with, now when I buy a game I know I'll enjoy it. That Nintendo seal of quality means something with this Metroid delay being a very good example of it. 

I'm a fanboy in many ways but not entirely, I know not every game will be for me and what to avoid, like Kirby just isn't for me at all. Yoshi is my favourite character yet I've never been convinced by his standalone games and so on. 

You've missed out not playing the Arkham games though, one my port dreams is the Arkham Collection as I'd love those two portable and the thought of redoing the challenge maps thrills me lol, I 100% City on the 360. The only reason I have a 360 is due to the DMC collection and Arkham games, so I want those on Switch bad. 

46 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I’ve lost the past few days in BOTW! Absolutely amazing experience

It's amazing, I'll say it's not for everyone but if you get into it and play it the right way it's the best game ever. The complaints I've seen I understand but I can see past them.

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yeah, seems every time I load up the switch the last few days you’re online and playing it!

Ditto! 

Mario 2: Yoshi’s Island on the SNES was one of my fave SNES games. I’m looking forward to Crafted.

My biggest issue with BOTW is in the reviews people talk about how cool it is that you can cook food and stuff like that. All that faff doesn’t appeal to me. I just want puzzles and more puzzles. It’s similar in to why I like FMM and not the PC version - I just want to game and not do details.

2 minutes ago, Rob said:

Mario 2: Yoshi’s Island on the SNES was one of my fave SNES games. I’m looking forward to Crafted.

My biggest issue with BOTW is in the reviews people talk about how cool it is that you can cook food and stuff like that. All that faff doesn’t appeal to me. I just want puzzles and more puzzles. It’s similar in to why I like FMM and not the PC version - I just want to game and not do details.

That's one I've not played and one I want to, the DS one was crap and the 3DS one is apparently worse. I should play the Snes one on my Classic or hopefully on the Switch. It's just one I never had as a kid so it passed me by, my Snes was my mum's so we only had what she had, until she started getting kids games like Lion King, Batman Forever and a Mickey Mouse one. The N64 would have been my first console where I had influence on what I got I think.

I liked WW on the WiiU but once you got passed the beauty it's kinda bland and the art style of Crafted doesn't appeal to me as much. I love my Yarn Yoshi amiibo though 😛

The cooking isn't that bad, I did it mainly for health more than the buffs you can get tbh. I really enjoyed the hunting and stuff though but then I'd just cook loads in one batch and it would last a while. I get that point of view though, I'm the same in loads of games. Like the weapon stuff might put you off and I'll admit it's frustrating but it means you are always experimenting and trying new things. The shrines in BOTW are excellent, the dungeons suck abit but so many of the shrines were brilliant it balanced out imo. 

The cooking like Ashez I do in batches and like he says, it lasts a while. I’ve played it more or less constant for three days now and I’ve only ventured into three regions! The scale of it is mind blowing. You can literally travel for a couple of minutes at a time and find somewhere new and intereating to explore/raid and then move on to the next place you find. Story wise I’ve managed to do one of the four divine beasts (the elephant one - Ruta?) and my god the boss at the end of that was hard 😩 it will eventually find its way into my top games list if not top it completely - it’s that good

I tell you what my biggest frustration was with BOTW and it was arrows! I just never seemed to have any and finding them was a pain. They're the one thing i wish you could craft as you get the materials. Admittedly them being limited to me made approach things differently but I wish I had more, or didn't have to farm them. 

1 hour ago, Nucleus said:

the elephant one

I loved that part the story, just great characters. 

18 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I tell you what my biggest frustration was with BOTW and it was arrows! I just never seemed to have any and finding them was a pain. They're the one thing i wish you could craft as you get the materials. Admittedly them being limited to me made approach things differently but I wish I had more, or didn't have to farm them. 

I loved that part the story, just great characters. 

Found it hard to farm them at the beginning but I stumbled upon an area recently where every monster dropped them x5 so I managed to stock up pretty well

17 minutes ago, Ashez said:

How'd you get on against the Lynel 😂😂

I didn’t! I just stalked my away around his camp scavenging the shock arrows 😂 I ain’t taking on that bad boy just yet lol

4 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I didn’t! I just stalked my away around his camp scavenging the shock arrows 😂 I ain’t taking on that bad boy just yet lol

They're brutal! I wondered into one before that and he destroyed me 😂😂

What I've Been Playing

January 2019 

I've not played much due to an FMM obsession but I should still have alot to say lol. The question is though where is the Nintendo Direct?!?!?!

Switch 

Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy - 

Trash 1 - Unfortunately I only got to playing the first game of the trilogy which was mainly out of frustration with the first game, half the time I really had to talk myself into playing it. When I liked it I had a blast but when I hated it I hated it with a passion unlike anything I've had for a game in a long time. There is no getting around Crash 1 is dated but so much of the game really got under my skin! I'll admit I'm impatient in general and Crash 1 pushed me so much, and while it's difficult I wouldn't say it's the difficulty that bothered me, it was the cheapness of the difficulty. So often in cool levels they were held back by infuriating sections of insane difficulty/cheapness like hard to make jumps, not being able to see, unavoidable instant deaths and it just wore me down. Like there is one level where your mask is a light, if you get hit you're in the dark, as a concept this was brilliant yet they also added a time limit to the light so you had to rush! If you got hit and lost the mask you couldn't see anything with a narrow path, enemies and jumps to make so it was basically death. Once you learnt the levels things weren't that bad in truth, but the 4 live start meant repeatedly starting the level again or spending half hour grinding lives to brute force your way through! No word of a lie one jumping section took up over 30 lives as it's just BS (Slippery Climb). The fact the game adds in certain cheat areas on difficult jumps isn't good design to me, especially if you don't notice them. Like the bridge levels can be skipped basically if you jump on the rope and balance until the end which I discovered by total fluke, or an earlier level where you have to jump on 3 candles with next to impossible timing unless you realise you can jump into the BACKGROUND! This game just infuriated me most the time by cheap difficulty spikes and Crash being in the way so you couldn't see anything or what you're meant to avoid. The boss battles are also piss poor! Like I said I'm impatient and I hate games that use that against me, anything with waiting around for things to happen gets on my nerves, that's why OoT isn't my favourite Zelda as that game is just waiting and moving/fighting when the opportunity comes. The jumping was also maddening as the jump rarely felt consistent as any time I tried a jump I never believed I knew what would happen and the spin attack is utter garbage! I hated the spin attack and in the end I avoided using it as it was impossible to judge distances, you'd either hit the enemy or die because you weren't close enough or got too close before spinning. I did have some fun with Crash 1 so I'm optimistic about the sequels as they're meant to be better but I'll never return to this, it's just a bad game imo, I finished it with 64% and that's how it'll stay. 

Super Mario Party - I said I wouldn't get this but I did which is explained below and I'll admit it's an absolute blast! However there is one humongous but and that's the boards which are absolutely awful! The game only has 4 anyway and imo 2 of those are complete trash and I'd say I only really enjoy the one. They're also really small which is annoying as the stars always seem really close but regardless of the boards being wank the game shines via it's mini games in the family setting. This is the first game my missus has asked to play since I got the Switch (day one) and I've since spent rather a few evenings with her on this title at her request and she hates games, I've also played rounds with my brother who was the reason I bought the game. The mini games are all great and showcase the joy cons really well, I'll admit I'd like a few more in the package as some come up too often but all in all I like this game more than I thought I would. There are also other modes like rhythm games and a rafting mode and while both have a limited amount of unique games I've had fun with both, however I am only really bothering with the rafting mode to get its gem, once I have that I doubt I'll return. If the boards were better I'd be really impressed with this game but unfortunately they're mostly crap, Nintendo has done well supporting Mario Tennis, Splatoon, Arms and other games with free DLC so hopefully Mario Party can get some new boards patched in as it really needs them. 

Brawl - I played one round and it was trash, maybe I'll try it again but I doubt it. I guess that's what you get buying 99p eshop games, at least I only used coins which were expiring. 

GameCube

Peter Jackson's King Kong - This is such a hidden gem, I remember it being good but it's so much better than I remembered. It's basically a first person survival shooter based on the film where you have limited ammo and have to find spears or bones as your primary weapons, you can even spear meat and throw it to distract enemies. The atmosphere is just awesome as the sounds of the creepy monsters gets under your skin and the fire effects are sensational for the time. Licenced and movie games often get a bad rap for good reason but this really is an exception to the rule as it's just a solid stand alone experience. My two issues would be it can be a tad dark and difficult to see and at times you can miss what's going on as things happen outside of cut scenes so if you look the wrong way or are in the wrong place you miss things, while this is ultimately a negative I would say it adds to the experience as it makes it feel like a living world. You also get to play a few levels as King Kong which is just badass but extremely repetitive and not as fun lasting as it should be. I've not finished it yet but I'm about 2/3s through so I'll finish that in the coming days. 

Game Of The Year

New Releases

First Time Played This Year

1. Super Mario Party
5. Crash 1

On there by default at this point. 

Recent Pick Ups

Super Mario Party - It's not a game i really wanted in fairness but my brother suggested we picked it up going halves each, as I'm sick to death of MK8D and in need of other games the family will play it was a no brainer for £22 each. 

Pokemon Flora Sky - This is the rom hack I ordered from China and I think it's safe to say now it's not turning up, it was meant to be here early December but no signs of it. Annoyingly there isn't anything I can do as the site/seller says it's complete but I knew the risks going in, hence why I only ordered one cheap copy. You live and learn haha. 

Xeodrifter - It's a small Metroidvania title I've wanted to play for ages, but as I knew it was short it was always a when the price is right type game and it was 80% off on the eshop so I spent coins on it. I really like the developer (twiiter/Youtube/Podcasts) but the only game of his I've played is Mutant Mudds on the 3DS which I was never that keen on, which was another reason why I wanted this cheap. 

@Nucleus-You must have loads to say : p

@zaangie - You doing the Fire Emblem Warriors map thing? What's it like? That's one game I do need to return to. 

Edited by Ashez

Loads to say, but I don’t know where to start!!

Legend of Zelda: BOTW

Im hooked on BOTW, absolutely hooked.

I’m at a stage now that I’m scared to see how many hours I’ve put in in the first 10 days lol. Must be close to 20 odd hours, when I’m not playing it, I’m thinking about playing it. Ive released 3/4 divine beasts now, I worked my way from east - north east - north west. I’ve been going shrine crazy as I’ve completed 40+ of them already with more than half the map still to reveal so I’m over the moon with that. 

My latest quest today saw me stumble upon the master sword in the korok forest, after getting frustrated with the lost woods I nearly gave up completely on finding my way to the centre but managed to finally understand the rather simple puzzle in the end (move from torch to torch and then the way is guided by the flames on the torch). That took a while to be fair but it feels so good to have a weapon that doesn’t bloody break lol.

My next plan of action is to go shrine hunting in the Hebra Mountains (north west of the map) followed by venturing to the south west and the final divine beast. I told you that I plan to 100% this game but the sheer task of that is daunting as hell. I’m definitely going to pick up the DLC’s after I finish the main game though.

This game is a 10/10 without a doubt, it’s impossible to get bored on it!

Mario Oddysey:

Played this for around an hour after it came the day after Zelda arrived. I’m currently on the second world - the desert one. Not going to pick this up until I’ve finished the main story on BOTW though. What I did play I loved but Zelda wins hands down.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole:

I pulled the trigger on this as it was £21.99? on Amazon and I can’t see it going much cheaper tbh. It’s still sealed at the moment but I actually may dive into this before taking on Odyssey!

@Ashez would you get Mario party if you just played it single player?

@Nucleus where does BOTW rank on your all time list?

I have gotten back in to MK8D recently and been playing half an hour here and there when the baby allows. I’m trying to three stars complete everything on 150cc. Not many more to go. 

I want to get another game soon, but not sure what to get. 

1 minute ago, Rob said:

@Ashez would you get Mario party if you just played it single player?

@Nucleus where does BOTW rank on your all time list?

I have gotten back in to MK8D recently and been playing half an hour here and there when the baby allows. I’m trying to three stars complete everything on 150cc. Not many more to go. 

I want to get another game soon, but not sure what to get. 

I’d like to say 1st! It’s that good! I’d have to really sit and think of all the games I’ve played before actually ranking it. It’s comfortably in the top 5 at the moment and Im only at the halfway-ish stage. It’s by far the best Zelda game.

Ive started three starring the 150cc too. I’ve done a few and I’ll get back into that eventually. I have nobody to play multiplayer with really so MK8D isn’t something I’ll play that often

scared to see how many hours I’ve put in in the first 10 days

I know that feeling lol! I've had it with two Switch games being BOTW and Darkest Dungeon. Usually my play sessions are a hour to a hour and a half and that's pretty consistent across my 3DS and Switch play log but those two games I just couldn't put down. 

master sword in the korok forest, 

That's the last thing I did just before heading to Ganon, I must have been 70 odd hours deep at that point lol

finding my way to the centre 

Lost wood puzzles have always fried my brain! 

doesn’t bloody break lol.

That's why I avoided it tbf, I liked having to adapt and scavenge for weapons. 

100% this game but the sheer task of that is daunting as hell.

Settle for all story, all shrines, all memories and may be all side quests, screw the seeds is my take. 

DLC’s

I found the DLC kinda meh, tbh I'm struggling to even remember it :/. II know I hated the location stuff but the start of the story DLC was ace. 

You been to Eventide Island yet @Nucleus? Controversial question but what do you make of the music/sound design? It got alot of stick for not being that musical but I love it, it set the tone so well

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Mario party if you just played it single player?

100% no @Robmate, it's a multiplayer game at it's core so without that it's pointless imo. That's why I never considered buying it but as the brother wanted it I thought why not. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

BOTW rank on your all time list?

I'd be leaning 1st as well tbh, it's the one video game experience I wish I could experience fresh again. I've not played the game since around this time last year and I still think about it. I'm loving hearing about @Nucleus adventure lol. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

complete everything on 150cc.

I've done that, I'm stuck on 200CC atm, I've done a few but 200CC is brutal. 

27 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Settle for all story, all shrines, all memories and may be all side quests, screw the seeds is my take. 

I think that’s what I’ll do. My korok seed hunting has proved valuable in making my inventory bigger though! I’m pretty well stacked in the weapons and shield department right now

31 minutes ago, Ashez said:

You been to Eventide Island yet @Nucleus? Controversial question but what do you make of the music/sound design? It got alot of stick for not being that musical but I love it, it set the tone so well

Not been there. I’m guessing that’s in south east or south west corner? I’m yet to go to the bottom half of the map yet

30 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

My korok seed hunting has proved valuable in making my inventory bigger though!

I got to where I was comfortable then I stopped bothering with them, if you do decided to go for them the DLC has a mask to help. 

Oh favourite outfit? Haha

32 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Not been there.

I don't remember tbf but you'll know when you've been there, it's one the most memorable parts of the game but I don't wanna spoil anything

10 minutes ago, Ashez said:

favourite outfit? 

If I’m somewhere thats a normal temperature then I always have the full stealth outfit equipped. I find it helps in obtaining cooking materials as I can practically run up to any animal and just hack and slash without the need to creep up on them. Saves so much time! Other than that I do have the full climbing set, the full snow set for the Hebra Mountains and I’ve got the flame breaker Armor and boots required for death mountain. I refused to spend 2000 rupees on the helmet though!