Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat Pressing/High Line Cautious Tackling?

akbrim

So, I've been playing around with a few tactics using a high line and all over closing down, and while most of the tactics I've seen here call for Committed or Normal tackling, I'm experimenting with Cautious tackling.

Here's my logic:

If we have a defense that it intended to be closing down on the ball anywhere on the pitch, and playing a high line with offside trap, would it not make sense to be cautious in our tackling, instead focusing on maintaining defensive shape and cutting off passing lanes?

I could be completely off base, but it makes sense to me.

Anyone already done these experiments?

I remembered something so I had a search and found this, it's old but I expect it still applies.

Pressing is all about winning the ball from interceptions (cautious is best above) and from tackles (committed is best above). Judging from the results above I'd say committed is the best as they're similar in interception stats but the tackles are a lot higher with a better success rate. 

However like you said cautious could be a less risky option as you'd assume last risky tackles are made. The best option would likely come down to the roles and players you use though.

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

I remembered something so I had a search and found this, it's old but I expect it still applies.

Pressing is all about winning the ball from interceptions (cautious is best above) and from tackles (committed is best above). Judging from the results above I'd say committed is the best as they're similar in interception stats but the tackles are a lot higher with a better success rate. 

However like you said cautious could be a less risky option as you'd assume last risky tackles are made. The best option would likely come down to the roles and players you use though.

Hmm, so it looks like I'm at least sort of right. 

My biggest concern with committed is that I seem to get quite a few red cards or at least double yellow when I'm managing lower leagues. 

I'm sure that the quality of players has a massive impact in the ratio of cards to successful tackles.