Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Questions from a Noob

Hi Everybody,

I’ve been playing FMM 17 and now 18 for the past couple of months and I have to say it is like heroin, I cannot put it down.

I’ve found this site so useful for information since most of the web focuses on the PC version which I definitely don’t have the time to play anymore. After lurking for a few weeks I thought I’d jump in and join the community. I’m kind of a freak in that I have a fairly passive interest in football and I really know very little about the technical aspects of the sport (what the hell is a trequarista????????) but I’ve always loved the FM games. So please bear this in mind if I ask any stupid questions.

Anyway I have a few questions I hope you guys can help with.

1.       How much of an impact does attendance have in the game? The finance system is fairly basic and gate receipts aren’t communicated so does attendance actually have an impact on the game?

2.       With youth development, my youth/training facilities are both max quality so am I better to loan 16/17 year olds out to crappy teams or would they benefit more from staying at home with the best facilities?

3.       How are player values calculated? I have some world beaters in the squad who are valued really low.

4.       I’m not 100% sure how staff abilities work, is it just aptitude and coaching badge? If you have two youth coaches for example, both with gold badges and natural aptitude, are they equally effective or is there more that I’m missing?

Any help would be much appreciate.

Cheers.

Welcome to the community! I've been in the same situation as you - no time for the big PC version! It is an addictive little gem!

Let me try to help you out:

30 minutes ago, Downamite said:

(what the hell is a trequarista????????)

Simply put, a Trequartista is an attacking player (in game both strikers and attacking midfielders can be Trequartistas) that does not do anything defensively - he just moves around trying to find space to receive the ball and create scoring opportunities for the team or himself. The name comes from Italian "Three quarters", kinda pointing to the place in the field where the Trequartista operates (between midfield and attack). It's the classic number 10 - think Roberto Baggio as a guy who was a great Trequartista!

35 minutes ago, Downamite said:

1.       How much of an impact does attendance have in the game? The finance system is fairly basic and gate receipts aren’t communicated so does attendance actually have an impact on the game?

It's very obscure. I would like to believe that it influences my transfer and wage budgets, but it may be just a reflection of your team's current reputation.

36 minutes ago, Downamite said:

2.       With youth development, my youth/training facilities are both max quality so am I better to loan 16/17 year olds out to crappy teams or would they benefit more from staying at home with the best facilities?

I still wonder about this same question. Personally, I think it's best to keep them home with good training staff and facilities, and possibilities to adjust their training. Might do an experiment on that :)

38 minutes ago, Downamite said:

3.       How are player values calculated? I have some world beaters in the squad who are valued really low.

The values are calculated considering the player's reputation, ability and potential, the remaining contract time, and the current club's reputation. So world beater's in small teams can be quite cheap and crappy players on big teams quite overprices.

39 minutes ago, Downamite said:

4.       I’m not 100% sure how staff abilities work, is it just aptitude and coaching badge? If you have two youth coaches for example, both with gold badges and natural aptitude, are they equally effective or is there more that I’m missing?

There are hidden attributes, coaches also have ability and potential. But in general, I prefer a naturally apt coach then a gold badge - the gold badge comes eventually, but the aptitude doesn't change.

See you around :)

Just to add to what Rafa has already said:

1.  Attendance is important for transfer and wage budgets. The higher your attendance (and the more fans coming) the more likely your transfer/wage budget will be better for the next season.

2.  I find that if you have the best youth facilities and want to develop young players, the ranking of player development goes like this: first team action \ Loaned out to clubs in the same division or one division below \ keep within your reserve team. 

I understand from SI that match experience is the best way of developing a player. However, often clubs who wish to loan your player will play in division which is several leagues below your level and I'm quite suspicious as to whether this actually does much in player development. So if you have a youngster who has fantastic potential, try and give them some match experience in the first team (even 5-10 minutes here and there) or only loan them out to a club who are in the same division or a division below. Also, keep an active eye on their training - making sure you tweak this as and when their stats increase in different areas. One other thing. It is better to demote a young player to the reserve/youth team rather than leaving them in the first team squad. This is because in the reserve/youth team, players will be playing games behind the scenes, whereas players who are left in your first team squad will only develop if they're selected for matches.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean