Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Which player is "better"?

Hello community,

I am pretty new in the game, but really like it.

I have problems with finding out, how "good" players are. Of course, there are the ratings for different abilities, and some stars and so on.

But some ratings are important, other's are not. For a certain role, 4-6 attributes are marked as "important", but other attributes might also be important.

What I did is an excel sheet and calculated the average value of each player of the 4-6 attributes which are "important" for his role. Higher average = better player for the role.

Sounds easy, but also wrong. E.g. have two left wing backs availible. One has a mean value of 11.0 at these 5 attributes. But, he is very bad in "tackling", which does not matter, because it is not needed for that role (?). The other one has a mean average value of 10.0, but also a 14 in tackling. Which one is the better choice? 😮

So, I continued with calculating not only the 4-6 relevant attributes, but also a mean of all of his numbers. But then there are numbers taken into account, which are not really relevant (e.g. a shooting ability for a defender).

Do you understand my problem? 🙂

The average is not important, you need to understand the tactical role and understand what it needs to shine in that position and tactical role. Also, check scout/coach report to get an understanding of his form/value and if he can get better or not. 

In regards to wingback, you're looking at them the right way but also the wrong way, Pace, positioning, Dribbling and crossing are the keys for wingbacks but you also want them to be good at tackling if possible, the level your at any attributes 12 or higher is good enough, so to answer your question personally I would go for the wingback with the higher tackling if there is only one to two attributes points between their crossing, Dribbling, pace and positioning. 

If you can upload screenshots of the players then it will help us to help you 😊

19 hours ago, Aaron Thornton said:

If you can upload screenshots of the players then it will help us to help you 😊

Yeah, maybe it is easier to explain with certain examples. Sorry for picking german versions, but maybe you can still help.

Let's pick one for a left wingback from the following two (please keep in mind, that the highlighted attributes are NOT automatically identical to what is required for a wingback:

Singleton.thumb.png.d8cbc851ef566ad2b9c426e0d86b468c.pngIvanilson.thumb.png.78c6a141d0bef72759d4b8f4bac25a32.png

And not the same for the right side (wing back) - here it is easier I think:

Hall-Johnson.thumb.png.8e85793729e29170cc601a3592ead1e4.png

Harriman.thumb.png.c9292e57056b5f93ef28f7ee4d9b757c.png

And maybe we can also pick together one CM, playing as an advanced playmaker (I know, that Pinto does not play CM at the moment, but I urge him to learn it):

Pinto.thumb.png.a6ab7c9a3046e0dfcb9cf3d6a337b831.png

Turrado.thumb.png.9392458757c7f3cbc84e6376d3d87da6.png

Please make your choice and explain, how you came to the result. To be honest I have 8 positions more where a hoice must be done, and for at least 5 of the 8 it is had for me to decide, so I want to understand how to do it.

Singleton because his defensive attributes are extremely good for the level as a fullback, Harriman because he is far more well rounded as a Fullback and Pinto because he's younger, much more creative, decent dribbler, good passer of the ball and has good positioning the 17 passing on Turrado would be tempting but creativity can be just as important as the passing stat so I'd go Pinto. @George Traistă may have different reasons for picking the same players and that's the beauty of FMM

Singleton is has great defensive stats and on your league level a good defense is key, Idon't like his Stamina and pace

Harriman is slightly weaker on defense but the difference is small and has good stats at crossing, passing, pace and Stamina. The pace and Stamina will help him in offense and defense. 

On midfield, I like to be a better complete player and Pinto is that. Pinto is also 3 years younger and at 22 he can still develop if you play him. But you should look at the coach report and see the difference between current and potential ability. 

Thanks @George Traistă and @Aaron Thornton !! I totally can follow both of you and it is SO helpful to have these "insights". I guess, new managers like me can learn a lot just by asking you to do a choice and to understand, why you would do it. Interesting, that both of you picked the same. Before, I would assumedly have picked 2 of 3 the same way (but not with such a good reason as described from you. In case of Singleton I was slightly on the other track, but in total I was not sure about all of these 6 players...

Which Attributes do you mean with "defense attributes"? I would say, tackling, decision, positioning? also high balls, aggression and strength?w

Would it be okay to ask you again for a few more choices? I mean, I tend to play with a "A-Squad" and "B-Squad", and just want to make sure that I put the guys into the right Squad.

I need to choose one of two DM (central Defensive Midfielder). Here, I have two very good guys, and I cannot decide, who is the better one.

Again, highlighted attributes are not the important ones, because shown role is not the right.

McWilliams.thumb.png.ebcd9014e511a30d0135a964b48917ff.pngEsteve.thumb.png.d89e5bf6981c57a5669cea242ee0fa5b.png

I think with the motivation of your posts above, I should go for McWilliams?

Ant further, I must pick two central defenders (they were ball playing defenders half year ago, but that failed often. A pure CD seem to work much better for me).

Goode.thumb.png.b154cb2c0ae0f5329da6aa4ab0b33242.png

Turnbull.thumb.png.0042aa28c47dc52906ede881a44df2ca.png

Ransom.thumb.png.8c36eba4bc479a4edbe9f91c49d5e54a.png

McKeown.thumb.png.816f8e6d3ca02c2fef0018f60e68f2ac.png

Here, I would go for Turnbull and Goode. Would you agree? McKeown spent a half year at another team and developed pretty well. I could send him away again to develop. But he is now already pretty good. So, two for the "good team" and two for the B-Team for easy league games...

What is your opinion here?

Thanks again for your very helpful support!

13 hours ago, Northamptons_Coach said:

Thanks @George Traistă and @Aaron Thornton !! I totally can follow both of you and it is SO helpful to have these "insights". I guess, new managers like me can learn a lot just by asking you to do a choice and to understand, why you would do it. Interesting, that both of you picked the same. Before, I would assumedly have picked 2 of 3 the same way (but not with such a good reason as described from you. In case of Singleton I was slightly on the other track, but in total I was not sure about all of these 6 players...

Which Attributes do you mean with "defense attributes"? I would say, tackling, decision, positioning? also high balls, aggression and strength?w

Would it be okay to ask you again for a few more choices? I mean, I tend to play with a "A-Squad" and "B-Squad", and just want to make sure that I put the guys into the right Squad.

I need to choose one of two DM (central Defensive Midfielder). Here, I have two very good guys, and I cannot decide, who is the better one.

Again, highlighted attributes are not the important ones, because shown role is not the right.

McWilliams.thumb.png.ebcd9014e511a30d0135a964b48917ff.pngEsteve.thumb.png.d89e5bf6981c57a5669cea242ee0fa5b.png

I think with the motivation of your posts above, I should go for McWilliams?

Ant further, I must pick two central defenders (they were ball playing defenders half year ago, but that failed often. A pure CD seem to work much better for me).

Goode.thumb.png.b154cb2c0ae0f5329da6aa4ab0b33242.png

Turnbull.thumb.png.0042aa28c47dc52906ede881a44df2ca.png

Ransom.thumb.png.8c36eba4bc479a4edbe9f91c49d5e54a.png

McKeown.thumb.png.816f8e6d3ca02c2fef0018f60e68f2ac.png

Here, I would go for Turnbull and Goode. Would you agree? McKeown spent a half year at another team and developed pretty well. I could send him away again to develop. But he is now already pretty good. So, two for the "good team" and two for the B-Team for easy league games...

What is your opinion here?

Thanks again for your very helpful support!

You did choose ok but... I personally don't use squad A and B, after just few games the ones from squad B will ask for first team football and few sad and frustrated players will make a bad impact on the whole team. A good squad harmony is better than few happy players and few frustrated... I like to make a mix and keep all on rotation, so every match all the players start with 100% condition and good morale. This is my way to do things, maybe others have other strategies. 

Maybe, the name "Squad A" and "squad B" are not well selected. I mean, I have something like the "top 11", and furthermore I try to have a second team and change at "easy games" almost all people, and for important games, i pick the top 11, for all other games, it's something in between. But anyway, it's good to know, who is your best and who is not 🙂

Is there a description (did not found it in the manual) about the logic and meaning of the arrows after a game regarding the experience, and at what time a player gets better attributes? I thought, when he reaches 100% of experience, he will level up in that area he as to learn in training, but it seems that they level also up without this "after-game-experience" - and not only the attribute they have to learn, but also sometimes a few attributes, but not what they should learn...