Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Questions on Tactics.

obdz

Hi

1- What is the order of importance of a tactic's parts: formation, roles, shape, defense, and attack?

2- What is the most important part in a tactic to modify during a game?

Thanks

Edited by obdz
10 hours ago, obdz said:

formation, roles, shape, defense, and attack

Exact order. Why do you think it's arranged that way?

10 hours ago, obdz said:

most important part in a tactic to modify during a game

Highly dependent on your squad at hand and the situation you find yourself in.

In many cases, you might not have different options at hand since the types of players you have on the bench are similar. Adjusting shape would then be the key.

A common adjustment I tend to make is changing player type, i.e. a playmaker for a defensive mid or between a powerful vs fast striker. The order would be role > shape > attack/defense.

I've also built squads meant for a specific tactical adjustment. At the highest level, this often means I have players match the best teams all-round. Yet all players are built around having demonic pace to suddenly play through balls in the 60th minute or monstrous aerial+strength to abruptly start playing incredibly direct.

@Meow Well, if you reach a level of picking your squad like this then you already are the top.

I struggle to recognize when to use each tactic change and I find it hard to spot the correct adjustment.

On 31/12/2022 at 20:18, obdz said:

you already are the top

I struggle to recognize

Some of the easiest positions to build midgame tactical tweaks are CD, W, and AF/TM. It doesn't take many attributes to play there, and I think most of us intuitively understand them. Start with those, then expand out.

• The defensive solidity of a good CD applies to the MC, DMC and FB positions as well
  • The explosiveness of a W applies to AML/R, ML/R and WB positions.
  • AFs translate well into a SS at AMC

That more or less covers the entire field. Definitely barebones and primitive, but you can inject nuance later.

picking your squad like this

You've got to experience those players once. A pure winger, AF or Centre Back. Absolutely ruthless. They can come fairly cheap too, but it will take a special kind of player to be 18-20 at like 4 things, yet absolutely awful at everything else. Those that would end up in the 2nd or even 3rd division, yet I am so confident in bringing them on in the biggest KO rounds of the Champions League or World Cup.

Ultimately, you'll never know if your tweaks actually affect the outcome. Just pretend it did when it goes right, and hail yourself as a tactical genius.😂 I'm joking, the contrast is actually pretty stark when you start a new save and you don't have those types of players at hand. Then you'll know you are doing something right.