Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics EME, after March Update, Man Utd, 4-2-3-1 set up?

Without any transfers in, I am trying to implement a 4-2-3-1 formation but stopped short on the tactics and designating which players to what roles.

In defence, surely a world class central defender will be a top priority. Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo have decent stats for BPD role but they're not class. Smalling on the other hand generally performs well in my other save. Blackett, McNair and Jackson are still inexperienced. Shaw and Darmian seems to be guaranteed starters.

In central midfield, there's definitely depth in the squad from all age groups. No need for transfer(s) in at the moment. Just that I am struggling to play who in and in what roles.

Out wide, on the left Depay and Lingard shone in IF role. On the right, Mata and Januzaj was placed with a WG role simply because I'm trying to accommodate them into the tactic. Valencia seems to be the best bet over here. Unsure if this would work? --> IF, APM, WG or WG, APM, WG.

Up top, here is where the main source of headache is. Rooney is whiny, wants a new challenge and requested to be transfer listed but no one wants to buy him. Martial however more often than not steps up to the plate but he is still young and so is Will Keane, James Wilson and Marcus Rashford.

I was wondering if I could get some help to make a 4-2-3-1 tactic work with this team? =)
If a 4-2-3-1 isn't suitable, I am open to changes. I have tried the classic 4-4-2 and 4-3-2-1 posted in this forum, I just feel compelled to implement a tactic with a personal touch

Edited by Irwan Hadi
Spelling mistake

Wow, people viewing and no replies. I see other threads getting inputs here and there from lots of people; including high level members. It's fine if no one has any idea on how to set it up. Pretty sure most of the information that's normally asked of are included. Well, at least I tried to ask

Sorry I was away for the weekend and must have missed this. The only issue is who do you intend to buy and play? For instance a BPD seems a bad idea when you have two flying full backs. The midfield could work with Schniederlin as a BWM and Herrera as a CM then Mata as an APM in between Depay as an INf and a new signing on the right with good crossing. Then go with a Poacher for Martial or CMF as Rooney

18 minutes ago, Dec said:

The only issue is who do you intend to buy and play?

I only intend to purchase a 25+ year old class center back, though I'm not sure if I am able to do so with only 28 Million pounds at the start and a further 10 Million raised with the sale of Carrick and Young. I tried signing Hummels, took out my entire transfer budget. Khacheridi on the other hand has been kind, cost me 10 Million but have been putting in solid performances in a short trial I've ran.

GK: De Gea/Valdes
Back four: Darmian/Varela, Smalling/McNair, Jones/Blackett, Shaw/Rojo
CM: Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger, Herrera/Powell
RW: Januzaj/Valencia
LW: Depay/Lingad
AM: Rooney/Mata/Pereira (out on loan)
ST: Martial/Keane/Wilson (out on loan)

There are quite a handful of youngsters however they are too young to be the spine of the team. So I've sent most of them out on loan, leaving only 18 and below in the Reserve to train on the designated training schedule.

23 minutes ago, Dec said:

For instance a BPD seems a bad idea when you have two flying full backs.

What would your ideal choice(s) be? CDs/LDs/Sweeper?

24 minutes ago, Dec said:

The midfield could work with Schniederlin as a BWM and Herrera as a CM then Mata as an APM in between Depay as an INf and a new signing on the right with good crossing. Then go with a Poacher for Martial or CMF as Rooney

Over the weekend, I have started a short trial on player roles only. I did try out your suggestions, with Mata and Rooney taking turns to fill the APM role behind the striker. Mata fared better in terms of goals but Rooney seemed to be a more rounded player. He assists and scores in that role.

Depay as we all know is extremely prolific in IF role on the left. I just have a question, I remember reading somewhere in this forum a while back that said "Having an IF on the same side/beside an APM will cause both to compete for the same space". Just wondering how it'll work out in a 4-2-3-1? =)

As for the right wing, I believe I wouldn't need any new signing. Januzaj and Lingard ticks all the boxes; they have speed, dribbling, crossing, creativity. Of course there are better quality out there, I have tried looking but then again the transfer budget I received is only enough for 1 signing.

Lastly, up top Martial is still young but does pretty well in PCR role on his own. Rooney however doesn't contribute much in CMF role except for shots off target  -__-"
A surprise performer in PCR role was Will Keane =) He mostly came on as a sub but he has upstaged Hernandez as a super-sub

What about team instructions? What would you suggest to start with and what to change during a match when up or behind by a goal?

In my MU save, I signed a strong MC/DMC, Kondogbia. He can provide muscle and aerial  to midfield and these are weak point of MU current squad.

I suggest you to find a strong MC / DMC, too.

Edited by rseven

Regarding the question about the IF and the APM in my 4-2-2-2 formation i always use the APM in the same side as the IF and it seems to work really great, and i believe you wont have a problem having the APM between the IF and the W, you could play a DLP in the same side of the IF and a BWM on the other side, maybe that would work, even tought i read somewhere that having a DLP and APM in the same formation is not a good idea, you should test it and see how it goes.

Edited by pipaz4

I would recommend Central Defenders as they aren't technically bad.

Also your squad looks very bare, in DMC and up front especially given the DMC is a physical role and could lead to a lot of injuries.

As for passing play attacking, mixed, normal and pressing.

your IF/APM problem should be fine as after the 7.2 update they fixed the issue

I'd agree with @Dec regarding BPD as they will be looking to play out of the box and your WB's will not be back to assist if they get caught out.

your CM combo could be a BWM and CM as with the BBM you end up with your PCR, IF, APM and BBM all vying for space in the box

Thanks all for your input, appreciate it very much. 

@rseven what role would you recommend Kondogbia to play and the role accompanying him in CM? 

@pipaz4 may I see your 4-2-2-2 tactic,  please? 

@Dec any DMCs or STs to recommend? Apart from Bender brothers and Lacazette up top, I have not tried anyone else 

@Taff I see your point. What role do you think will suit up front then, if the midfield consists of BWM, CM, APM, IF and W? 

@Dec alright, my question will be for a 4-2-3-1 with a midfield consisting of a BWM, CM, APM, IF and W, what would be a suitable role up front? Currently I only have Rooney, Martial and Keane

@pipaz4 Ah yes, a familiar tactic =) I've tried this one out, I'm not complaining that it's not a good tactic. In fact, it is rather appealing however I think this one doesn't really suit Manchester United. I would have to purchase a striker to play as TM and I would have too many CMs hahaha

Any suggestions for TM? I've managed to prise Harry Kane from Tottenham before for 25 Million Pounds and he has done a decent job.

2 minutes ago, Irwan Hadi said:

@pipaz4 Ah yes, a familiar tactic =) I've tried this one out, I'm not complaining that it's not a good tactic. In fact, it is rather appealing however I think this one doesn't really suit Manchester United. I would have to purchase a striker to play as TM and I would have too many CMs hahaha

Any suggestions for TM? I've managed to prise Harry Kane from Tottenham before for 25 Million Pounds and he has done a decent job.

to be honest you'd be surprised how well a normal PCR can do in the TM position I've played different players there and they all do fairly well.

The TM im using is Maximiliano Romero from Velez but you need to wait 3 season for him to become a 1sr team player, and like Taff said i played Clinton Njie as a TM and he wast suitedin that role but he performed well 25 goals and 20 assists.

@pipaz4 thanks for your suggestion. Normal or large database and which countries to load before he shows up?

@Dec for your team instructions, why do you suggest as follows? Just wanted to understand

On 11/04/2016 at 18:32, Dec said:

As for passing play attacking, mixed, normal and pressing.

Attacking as you are a good team, mixed passing as you have a variety of player roles that can do several jobs and pressing as your team can handle it psychically

@Dec I tried with the set of team instructions as per your suggestion, it didn't really pan out. The team was attacked right from Kick Off and almost always conceded very early goals. To counter that, I adopted Balanced mentality and switched off Pressing and the team kept their shape most of the time and then mounted wave after wave of attacks.

I know the "testing period" was only about 10 games is insufficient to label the tactic as not working, but I had to try other instructions to stop the rot. Player roles were as follows:
GK - De Gea
(R) FB - Darmian
2 x CD - Smalling & Jones
(L) WB - Shaw
(R) W - Januzaj
CM - Herrera
BWM - Schneiderlin
(L) IF - Depay
CAM (APM) Mata
ST (PCR) Lukaku (35M pounds + Fellaini)

Any idea how to improve shots to goal ratio? Most of the time, the shots off target is around half the total number of shots taken. Mostly by the IF, APM and it's funny as they have high shooting attributes