Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help South Korea Work Permit Rules

Does anyone know how the work permits rules work in South Korea in game?

I have been playing a career in South Korea and am yet to successfully sign any foreign player except from another club in South Korea. When playing UK based careers hiring an attorney to appeal the decision often works but every time it fails so far in Korea. 

In real life South Korea has a maximum foreignors in squad rule. 5 max, 3 have to be from an AFC country with of those from an ASEAN country, with two free hits from anywhere. So I wondered if this is the games way of implementing that rule on me.

However, other clubs in the league have a far wider range of foreignors (and I've checked - no dual nationality). 

I wonder if its just a bug - but does anyone know how the rules are meant to work in game?

I have never played in Korea myself so I’m not sure exactly.

I have always felt that the rules seem to be the same in most countries in the game and I usually find that if a player has a few caps for his country or is a promising youngster then they will get a WP.

2 hours ago, Foxy said:

I have never played in Korea myself so I’m not sure exactly.

I have always felt that the rules seem to be the same in most countries in the game and I usually find that if a player has a few caps for his country or is a promising youngster then they will get a WP.

That was my experience but South Korea appears different.

For example I tried to buy a Moroccan youngster rated 5 star for potential by my scout. No dice.

I tried to sign a Rwandan youngster with 9 caps to his name - another one found by my scout. Again no dice. Admittedly Rwanda is not a big footballing nation so maybe that's why?

I do only have 5 foreigners in my team and have never had more. It just seems a strange coincidence.

Edit to add: I also tried to sign a couple of uncapped Brazilians, for 7 figure sums. Theyre not capped so again maybe thats why, but on the other hand there are a number of uncapped Brazilians in the league so something's not right.

Edited by Elliott
1 hour ago, Elliott said:

That was my experience but South Korea appears different.

For example I tried to buy a Moroccan youngster rated 5 star for potential by my scout. No dice.

I tried to sign a Rwandan youngster with 9 caps to his name - another one found by my scout. Again no dice. Admittedly Rwanda is not a big footballing nation so maybe that's why?

I do only have 5 foreigners in my team and have never had more. It just seems a strange coincidence.

Edit to add: I also tried to sign a couple of uncapped Brazilians, for 7 figure sums. Theyre not capped so again maybe thats why, but on the other hand there are a number of uncapped Brazilians in the league so something's not right.

You may be right then and the game is coded to stop you having more than 5 in a team although that would be better if it was more transparent so you knew that was what was happening and also if it applied to AI teams as well.

43 minutes ago, Foxy said:

You may be right then and the game is coded to stop you having more than 5 in a team although that would be better if it was more transparent so you knew that was what was happening and also if it applied to AI teams as well.

Perhaps. It doesn't fit the rules I quoted properly - Only 2 of my 5 foreigners are AFC as I have one each from the Netherlands, Uzbekistan, Romania, Australia and Serbia. But it could just be doing 5 period. I'm trying to shift the Romanian now so the test will be to try to re-sign one of the players I had rejected and see what happens.

21 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Perhaps. It doesn't fit the rules I quoted properly - Only 2 of my 5 foreigners are AFC as I have one each from the Netherlands, Uzbekistan, Romania, Australia and Serbia. But it could just be doing 5 period. I'm trying to shift the Romanian now so the test will be to try to re-sign one of the players I had rejected and see what happens.

I would be interested to hear what happens.

9 hours ago, Foxy said:

I would be interested to hear what happens.

Seems nothing will change. Face the same issue, 

Tried to sign two young wonderkid from Brazil it fails, after three attempt one was successful, I just search topic about the problem and find somewhere that said, I should unlock work permit thing to remove work permit, which I did.

I also posted this query on the sports interactive forum and got this reply from a dev:

"We do not have foreign player limits FM Mobile.

The chances of having a work permit application approved is dependant on several things; the number of international caps, the value of the player, the squad role offered to the player and how good the players is compared to the rest of your squad.

IF you have a specific example of a work permit application that you feel should have gone through but didn't please let us know."

I'm now having a look at all the foreign players in K-League to see where they've come from, how much they were signed for, and what caps they have (albeit not necessarily an indicator of what caps they had when they were signed), to see if i can find the key to this.

So my analysis shows as follows:

All uncapped foreign players in K-Leagues 1 and 2 have been in the league since the game started. The lowest caps any foreign bought foreigner has is 12, ie they are all capped.

I therefore surmise caps are vitally important to meeting work permit rule. I also conclude these work permit rules do not work the same as in reality. But at least there is a level playing field.

Data attached if anyone is interested

k League.xlsx

Edited by Elliott

Update on this. The Rwandan defender passed 10 caps so I tried to re-sign him - work permit granted! So the caps are crucial to South Korea.

To further confirm this, the Moroccan youngster got his first cap but this wasn't good enough when I tried to re-sign him. It does seem 10 is the cut off point. Tbh knowing this does make searching for players quicker - so many can just be disregarded.

Lost my two great young midfielders to Europe though without being able to satisfactorily replace - should keep the challenge interesting.

I have to report that I have finally managed to get a work permit agreed for an uncapped foreigner, on appeal. He was available on a bosman so i don't know whether that had something to do with it. He is a player I previously tried to buy and failed with the work permit.

I'm now at the point where I've won KL1 4 times in a row and the last two Asian Champions Leagues. And I am finding I am now getting success appealing refused work permits. Including frustratingly a player i signed for £4.5m which I had originally bid for something in the £50k range...

But anyway, the point is, I believe the club's reputation makes a difference.