Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 In Season Tips For Beginners

jack_xu

will talk about in-match stuff next time ;)

Thanks for addressing it.

I'm not sure if there is any algorithm, from years of playing I strongly lean towards it being down to the toss of a coin, or the roll of a die. There seems to be nothing more to it.

Again, thanks for addressing my concern. While most of your tips have been great advice for the beginners, you must remember this site is the first stop for people who aren't too sure on the working of the game. Unless you're 100% certain on one of your tips it's best not to post it (unless you make it clear its a hypothesis not a conclusion) as you could be giving out wrong advice.

Thanks for the advice. I hope people will read this thread critically, as they are not facts, but my opinion. 

I wonder how that would work though would it be a set piece like thing like when selecting a free kick taker ?

Good work Jack :D I remember when I was a beginner and this would have really helped :)

Thanks Prosherry! Please tell me if there are any mistakes I've made.

For morale, there seems has other way to increase, to have more "Motivational" in training schedule.

So, I suggest to set "Medium" for players who will have less chance to play.

I am interesting in the impact of "Form" and "Morale" to players performance in game.

If I have time, I will do some test. (If fmh2015 is not released soon)

For morale, there seems has other way to increase, to have more "Motivational" in training schedule.

So, I suggest to set "Medium" for players who will have less chance to play.

I am interesting in the impact of "Form" and "Morale" to players performance in game.

If I have time, I will do some test. (If fmh2015 is not released soon)

You're right. I'll edit my post. 

6In-match Tweaking

Making strategic changes during a match is a big part of being a successful football manager both in real life and in fmh. Smart tweaking can often turn a losing situation into winning and a winning situation into winning more. So how to tweak?

A lot of people have already written about this. Here are some of my experiences:

1) I always alternate between looking at the "Overview" page and the "Home stats" page (or "away stats" page if I'm playing away) during a match.

2) The "Overview" page shows possession and shots. If your opponent is suddenly getting a lot of shots and dominating possession, please don't just sit there and hope for luck to on your side. Pause the game and change something! Or you will likely lose.

Some common ways to solidify defense are:

1. Move your players back (etc. attacking midfield to midfield, midfield to defensive midfield)

2. Change player roles to more defensive ones (etc. BBM to BWM, WB to FB, BPD to CD)

3. Team Mentality (this is a tricky one. Changing mentality from attacking to balanced does not mean you will concede less goals. In fact, you might lose control of the game and give your opponent more chances. So how to change team mentality depends on the specific tactic you are using)

4. Tackling (change from normal to committed. Note that committed tackling will give the opponents more free kicks which could be dangerous. Your players will also have a higher chance of getting cards)

5. Sub in defensive players

6. Change passing style to short. You will lose the ball less often.

Some common ways to boost attack are:

1. Move your players into open positions (so that you would not be "closed down too easily by the opposition")

2. Change passing style (this depends on the specific tactic you are using, the weather, and how strong your opponent is. Direct is better for wet weather and short is better for dry weather. Against a strong opponent who tends to dominate possession, you had better play short passing.)

3. Change team mentality from balanced to attack. Turn "pressing" on. Turn "Offside Trap" on. Change tackling to committed. (these does not always work. In some cases balanced works better than attacking.)

4. Sub in better players

For better details, see this wonderful thread: fmhvibe.co.uk/community/topic/20440-the-premier-division-underdog-method/

3) The "Stats" page of your team shows the passes(amount and success rate), tackles, interceptions, shots(amount and success rate) and headers(attempts and success rate).

For a defender on your team (CD,WB,BWM,DLM,BBM...), pay attention to his tackles and headers, especially tackles! If one of your defenders isn't making enough tackles, has a low rating, or is constrained by a yellow card, sub him out! Or switch his role! (etc. change him from center defender to limited defender) Otherwise your opponent will score before you have time to react.

For an attacking midfielder on your team (APM,CM,WNG...), pay attention to his passing! If he is passing way less than the midfielders of your opponent, or if his pass success rate is low, he is not strong enough to anchor the midfield! In this case, you can either move more of your players into midfield (etc. move your wingers from attacking midfield position back into midfield position), or sub him out!

For a striker on your team, pay attention to his shooting! If he is shooting loads and missing loads, sub him out or change his role! If you prefer for one of your star players to score, but another player on your team is shooting too much, change his role! (etc. if I am using a Complete Forward in the right striker position, but he is missing all his passes and not shooting at all, probably he is not strong enough to play complete forward. I would change his role to INF)

There are so many ways to tweak and so many different theories on how to tweak. I don't know if there is the "right" way to tweak. Nevertheless, I am sure that with experience, you could figure out the way to tweak that best suits you and your team.

Hi, Jack, I'd like to add some my experience for tweaking in-game.

1. My team leads one point, and I want to keep it to end of game. I will do below.

Mentality: Defensive,

Pass Style: Long or Direct

Tackling Style: Cautious, ( to avoid fouls and free kicks, keep formation in defence)

Press: No

Offside Trap: No

C. A.: Yes / No

M. B. B.: Yes

2. I tweak my forward roles depend on opponent mentality. This is a roughly idea, I not test much, but I think this is interesting. and I will test more in FMH2015.

Opponent mentality                                    My forward role

Defensive                                                   Deep lying forward ( to pull defenders out of box)

Normal                                                       Poacher

Attacking                                                    Advanced forward ( to utilize the pace of forward and space behind defenders)

Hi, Jack, I'd like to add some my experience for tweaking in-game.

1. My team leads one point, and I want to keep it to end of game. I will do below.

Mentality: Defensive,

Pass Style: Long or Direct

Tackling Style: Cautious, ( to avoid fouls and free kicks, keep formation in defence)

Press: No

Offside Trap: No

C. A.: Yes / No

M. B. B.: Yes

2. I tweak my forward roles depend on opponent mentality. This is a roughly idea, I not test much, but I think this is interesting. and I will test more in FMH2015.

Opponent mentality                                    My forward role

Defensive                                                   Deep lying forward ( to pull defenders out of box)

Normal                                                       Poacher

Attacking                                                    Advanced forward ( to utilize the pace of forward and space behind defenders)

Great suggestions! Your points make a lot of sense. I'll try it out in the game to see if the match engine is smart enough.

how about the training of general,goalkeeper,attacker,defender and technical?

For goalkeeping, attacking, and defensive training please see Dec's Intensive training. That works the best.

The following are what I use for other training regimes (just personal preferences, works for me):

For age 23-30 first team CDs, FBs, WBs, BWMs, DLMs, and BBMs who have higher defensive stats, I usually use Dec's defensive training regime, but when their fitness stats are low, I put them on General(fitness intensive, tactics medium, attacking medium, defensive intensive, motivational light)

For age 23-30 first team APMs, CMs, INFs, WNGs, strikers, and BBMs who have higher attacking stats, I usually use Dec's attacking training regime, but when their fitness stats are low, I put them on Technical(fitness intensive, tactics medium, attacking intensive, defensive medium, motivational light)

For players who could not endure such intensive training(old players, young players, lazy players, players with low stamina stats), I put them on Fitness(fitness medium, tactics medium, attacking medium, defensive medium, motivational light)

Hope this helps

What if i want my center attacking midfielder to make runs into the box and scores lots of goals in a 4-2-3-1 formation? what role should my midfielder and forward be?

Thanks Dec, but i tried it with Swansea and it didn't work, the striker get most of the opportunity, even the wingers had more shots than my attacking midfielder. any other way to get him to score?

After a few tests i found out that the box to box mid role in attacking midfield gets more chances than an inside forward, advanced playmaker,ball winning mid and central mid (i only tested the 4-4-1-1 formation, I don't know about the others). The DLF doesn't seem to be creating chances for the attacking Midfield, or anyone else as i tried it for two seasons and the DLF barely had any assists. 

How can Itailor the training to each player as you have done with benzema etc so that low stamina players have less intensive training but intensive fitness training. They train in groups for example defenders.?Thanks

On the setting options you have attacking, GK, defending etc yeah?

Set either spare one to a lesser schedule, so for example my striker is struggling on attacking training so i go to fitness training and make that a lesser/easier attacking schedule.

Then on the player overview in training you'd change said striker to the new "fitness" training.

Understand now? Tbh it is hard to explain lol.

Earlier in the thread you mention that all young players and players with low stamina should not be included in intensive training but instead be put on fitness training. My team seems to have low stamina throughout (below 14 ?) , should they all be in fitness training. Thanks