Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Austerity Measures: Bolton Wanderers

Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg.thumb.png.6 Austerity Measures Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg.thumb.png.6 

‘Your club is approaching serious financial difficulty. The owners have instructed you to sell your high earning players in order to reduce costs and raise funds. Can you steer the club away from financial ruin while remaining competitive on the pitch?’

Intro: Following my indefinite conclusion of my ‘The Rise of Ebbsfleet United’ story, I have decided to begin a new one. This one is going to take the form of a Football Manager challenge, and the one that I have chosen to take on is the ‘Austerity Measures’ challenge. I decided to take on this challenge in particular because it has actually happened to the club I have chosen in real life. The club I have chosen to become manager of is Bolton Wanderers FC. 

Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg.thumb.png.6

As some of you may know, over the past few seasons, Bolton have been struggling financially and were in a lot of debt. This led to players not being paid wages and also the club having to try to offload players to accumulate the money needed to pay off their debts. Thus, I have decided to choose Bolton as my chosen club to complete the ‘Austerity Measures’ challenge.

Aim: ‘The aim of this challenge is to reduce the wage bill by 25 percent before the end of the transfer window and subsequently maintain early season form until the end of the season’ So, as outlined by the football manager challenge my first job will be to offlay some players in the January transfer markets, in particular the high-earners at the club. At the same time however I’m going to have to try and continue the decent start that Bolton have made so far in the Sky Bet Championship. Bolton currently have a wage expenditure of £187,790 per week. Which, by my calculations, needs to be reduced by about £47,000 per week, to a wage expenditure of approximately £140,000 per week.

Edited by YoungLad

Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg.thumb.png.6 Austerity Measures Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg.thumb.png.6

NeilLennon.jpg.327a5989cb6b76d0ca6382706

On Monday 28th December 2015, Bolton Wanderers FC parted company with manager Neil Lennon. Bolton are believed to be in a substantial amount of debt, approximately £172.9 million. Reportedly, Lennon had fallen out with the owners of the club after they’d held crisis talks over the club’s financial struggles and whereby Lennon, had been told that he would be losing several of his first-team players in the upcoming January transfer window. As a result, Bolton released the following statement saying ‘Bolton Wanderers can announce that the club have today parted company with manager Neil Lennon by mutual consent. Everyone at Bolton Wanderers would like to thank Neil for his contributions during his time here at the club’

Bolton Wanderers weren’t managerless for long however, as on the 1st of January 2016, Josh Young was appointed as manager. Young was already a member of staff at Bolton FC, having previously been in charge of the club’s academy. On his appointment at the club Josh Young said ‘I’m delighted to have taken over the manager’s role here. I’ve been here for, well, over 13 years now, through my playing career and as a coach. It’s a great club, and I know we’ve had our difficulties recently, on the pitch and with the ongoing financial issues but, it’s important that we crack on with the task at hand because we deserve to be back up, in the premier league, where we belong, and hopefully we’ll be there soon’

IMG_1129.thumb.PNG.c62285c700a65f5009b16

IMG_1130.thumb.PNG.05db677bd77c593935766

Edited by YoungLad

Squad Analysis

Player (Position/Age/Wage)

Goalkeepers:                                                                                    
Ben Amos (GK/25/10k)                                                                   
Paul Rachunka (GK/34/1.5k)

Defenders:                                                                                        
Francesco Pisano (DR/29/5.75k)                                                       
Dean Moxey (DL/29/6k)                                                                   
Rob Holding (CB/20/£240)                                                              
Dorian Dervite (CB/27/6k)
Derik Osede (CB/22/7k)
David Wheater (CB/28/20k)

Midfielders:
Lawrie Wilson (MR/28/7k)
Jay Spearing (CM/27/7.5k)
Tom Walker (ML/20/£750)
Neil Danns (MC/33/10k)
Mark Davies (MC/27/16k)
Jordan Lussey (MC/21/2k)
Liam Trotter (MC/27/10k)
Josh Vela (MC/22/3.5k)

Attacking Midfielders:
Liam Feeney (AMR/28/11k)
Wellington Silva (AMR/22/15k) LOAN
Darren Pratley (AMC/30/12k)
Max Clayton (AML/21/6k)
Stephen Dobbie (AMC/33/5k)

Strikers:
Zach Clough (ST/20/8k)
Tom Eaves (ST/23/1.5k)
Emile Heskey (ST/37/6k)
Gary Madine (ST/25/6k)
Kaiyne Woolery (ST/20/2k)

Big Earners

david-wheater.jpg.3c11071beca8521922af7b mark-davies.jpg.3a46b7c42120e841d3c12e59darren-pratley.jpg.9e1f22afef5cb2f25f8f3ben-amos.jpg.d85bec7a6c8529582c4663d0aa4liam-trotter.jpg.ebcadf7e98ec921a8e615d5

David Wheater (20k)                 Mark Davies (16k)                  Darren Pratley (12k)                   Ben Amos (10k)                     Liam Trotter (10k)

My Opinion
I think that overall the squad is quite average. I think there is a good mix of youth and experience but currently I feel there are a few too many players who's performances don't justify their earnings. Looking at the big earners list they're all key players for the club, but given the current financial circumstances I am going to have to let some of them go. Ben Amos will definitely be staying because I think he is a decent keeper for the championship and I don't think that I could get anyone of significant better quality at this moment in time. Wheater and Davies I will definitely be looking to offload as I just cannot justify their wages. We have a lot of central-midfielders at the club and I think we could replace Davies quite easily. In an ideal world I'd like to keep Wheater but his wages are just too much and by selling him I could cover nearly 50% of the wage expenditure drop that I need. Pratley is another hit and miss one. In the formation I'm planning to use he doesn't fit in but could still be useful a useful player to have. If I get the chance to offload him then I probably will. I'd like to keep Trotter, purely because I think he's a decent midfielder for the championship and I think he'll be a useful, first-team player. 

In terms of the rest of the squad I'll be looking to sell some of the more average level earners like Heskey, Dobbie and Danns, which should see us hit our target in reducing the wage expenditure. I think positions that will need strengthening, if possible, is in defence, to replace Wheater and also in the attacking-midfielder positions. I may look to offload Zach Clough as he's a very highly thought of youngster and his sale could bring in a decent amount of money for the club.

Key Players

ben-amos.jpg.d85bec7a6c8529582c4663d0aa4dorian-dervite.jpg.874d3a3d2ae177f159615jay-spearing.jpg.e5824ff045bb062f83f5896wellington-silva.jpg.59c4ea6d96e43ee19e9gary-madine.jpg.a06b47f2eb264fd27aa1d870

Ben Amos, Dorian Dervite, Jay Spearing, Wellington Silva, Gary Madine (from left to right)

Edited by YoungLad
5 hours ago, Lunar Strike said:

Wow nice thread mate 

Good Job! KIU

3 hours ago, Ashez said:

Quality stuff so far mate, amazing amounts of effort :). 

Thanks 

Just picked this post up on the off chance and impressed that I have. Wicked layout and great attention to detail, please keep us posted on your progress.

P.S I hope you sell Amos and if poss replace with Sam Johnstone from man utd as he normally is available on loan and he has been decent for me in previous championship saves.

Clough is an interesting talent, I hope you can keep hold but you should get decent money for him. Its a shame you cant request the loan straight back option when a club is buying one of your players.

Transfer List

Due to the current financial issues at Bolton a number of high-profile players have had to be put up for sale in order to reduce the wage expenditure of the club and generate funds. It is believed that Josh Young will receive no financial backing from the club for transfers in the January transfer window, however would be allowed to use a small proportion of the funds generated through player sales. Josh Young would therefore have to rely on free transfers and loan signings if he wants to expand the squad. 

Transfer Listed Players

Player (Value/Wage)

David Wheater (£1.4mil/20k)

Neil Danns (875k/10k)

Mark Davies (3.1mil/16k)

Darren Pratley (1.3mil/12k)

Stephen Dobbie (525k/5k)

Emile Heskey (275k/6k)

Edited by YoungLad

The Season So Far

5702f68847117_1stPart.thumb.PNG.56c2161d5702f6a457bbe_2ndPart.thumb.PNG.818548db

The season had started reasonably well for Bolton, winning 5 out of 7 of their first games. However, the club's form soon started to go downhill with Bolton without a win since their 2-1 victory over Huddersfield at the end of September. The poor run of form led to the eventual sacking of Neil Lennon and the appointment of manager Josh Young. 

5702f8032be43_JanTable.thumb.PNG.54e621f

When Young took over the club were currently sat in 21st place, avoiding the relegation zone on goal difference. Young had predicted that Bolton would need approximately 48 points from now until the end of the season for survival. Young would look to make an immediate impact in his first game in charge on the 2nd January with an away tie at Bristol. Despite ongoing rumours regarding certain players leaving the squad Young insisted that whilst they were at the club, they would continue to play a part in Bolton's season. 

Bolton's Next 5 Fixtures...

(A) Bristol City Sky Bet Championship

(H) Burnley Sky Bet Championship

(A) Barnet FA Cup 3rd Round

(A) MK Dons Sky Bet Championship

(H) Cardiff City Sky Bet Championship

Edited by YoungLad

Was always going to be a tricky save. But if you make it to seasons end and bring in some frees (money permitting) and some decent prem loanees you could be top half next season minimum 

5 hours ago, JustM1kePlays said:

Wooo 14 games without a win!!! Good luck turn their form around you are going to need it. All tough games coming up for you as well especially Barnet! Look out for Vilhete 

I know right. I've certainly got my work cut out for me. I'm aiming for 4 points from my next 4 league games and a win in the cup obviously.

5 hours ago, kylieboi88 said:

Was always going to be a tricky save. But if you make it to seasons end and bring in some frees (money permitting) and some decent prem loanees you could be top half next season minimum 

Yeah I'm hoping to bring in a couple of loan signings to strengthen in certain positions, some for the first -team and some for just positional cover. 

January 2016

Saturday 2nd January 2016 – Bristol City Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON STARTING XI: Amos, Pisano, Moxey, Dervite, Wheater, Spearing (C), Trotter, Vela, Feeney, Clayton, Madine
SUBS: Rachubka, Holding, Wilson, Danns, Davies, Woolery, Clough

57040e6be1582_Vs.Bristol.thumb.PNG.af032

Match Summary: It was a cold afternoon at Ashton Gate as Bolton looked to turn around a dreadful current run of form. Bolton had a new man in the hot seat. Newly appointed manager Josh Young took his side to Bristol looking for all three points. Bolton started the game poorly as Bristol’s Lee Tomlin found the back of the net within two minutes, fortunately for Bolton, the goal wouldn’t stand, as Tomlin was offside. After this, Bolton settled into the game more and had the majority of the possession. HT 0-0. After the break Josh Young introduced substitutes Lawrie Wilson and Mark Davies. The substitutes changed the game as Wilson provided more of a threat down the right and Davies really added some creativity to the team. In the 75th minute Josh Young introduced Zach Clough and the substitute really made a positive impact, as in the 84th minute Clough set up Feeney to score his 1st goal of the season. Bolton held on to the lead and won the match 1-0.

Match Ratings: Amos (8), Pisano (7), Moxey (7), Wheater (8), Dervite (8), Spearing (7), Trotter (7), Vela (7), Feeney (7), Clayton (7), Madine (6)
SUBS: Wilson (7), Davies (7), Clough (7)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer Business

Bolton announce the signing of three new signings. Mason Holgate, Reece Oxford and Callum Gribbin all on loan until the end of the season. All three are highly-rated youngsters who are believed to have been sent out on loan to gain some first-team experience. Currently there are no outgoings at Bolton however, departures are expected soon.

57040fba8b468_MasonHolgate.jpg.7da2ef23freece-oxford.jpg.7223175625769900dae8e27callumgribbin.thumb.jpg.affcf0da3a1a73ee

Mason Holgate (Everton/19/DC) Reece Oxford (West Ham/17/D/DMC) Callum Gribbin (Man.Utd/17/AMR)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 5th January 2016 – Bolton Wanderers Vs Burnley – Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON STARTING XI: Amos, Wilson, Moxey, Dervite, Wheater, Spearing (C), Gribbin, Trotter, Davies, Feeney, Clough
SUBS: Rachubka, Holding, Holgate, Oxford, Danns, Clayton, Madine

New signing Callum Gribbin takes his place on the right for Bolton, whilst Mason Holgate and Reece Oxford take their place on the bench.

570411a807371_Vs.Burnley.thumb.PNG.8cf10

Match Summary: After their 1-0 victory on Saturday, Bolton went in to this game with greater confidence. They did however, have the daunting task of taking on Burnley, a team pushing for an automatic promotion place. As the gamed kicked off there was a good atmosphere around the Macron stadium however, this was cut short after in the 24th minute George Boyd found the net for the visitors, only to see the offside flag being raised. Burnley did however find the net four minutes later, with Lloyd Dyer giving the visitors the lead. Shortly after that Burnley went 2-0 up, Ashley Barnes doubling the visitor’s lead. Young would’ve been hoping his side could go in before half time with the score at only 2-0 as Burnley increased the pressure on the Bolton defence. In the 42nd minute Bolton got one back, Mark Davies firing in a low volley from the edge of the area, his first goal of the season. HT 1-2. After the break Bolton went in search of an equaliser. Young introduced new-signing Reece Oxford in the 51st minute, replacing a tired Liam Trotter. As Bolton continued their attack on the Burnley defence young brought on Neil Danns and Max Clayton to try and inject a bit of energy into their attacks. However, as Bolton pushed for an equaliser, their defence was exposed to a speedy counter attack with Ashley Barnes grabbing his second of the game. After this, Bolton’s player’s heads dropped and Burnley took advantage of this. Ashley Barnes completing his hat-trick after a poor piece of goalkeeping by Amos. The game finished 4-1 to Burnley, a score line that doesn’t reflect the game.

Match Ratings: Amos (3), Wilson (6), Moxey (6) Wheater (7), Dervite (7), Spearing (6), Gribbin (7), Feeney (7), Trotter (7), Davies (7), Clough (7)
SUBS: Oxford (6), Danns (7), Clayton (7)

Edited by YoungLad

January 2016

Saturday 9th January – Barnet Vs Bolton Wanderers – FA Cup 3rd Round

BOLTON STARTING XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Trotter, Oxford, Vela (C), Silva, Walker, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Dervite, Wilson, Spearing, Davies, Gribbin, Clough

570440cc2ad1c_VsBarnet.thumb.PNG.408e562

Match Summary: Bolton were looking to bounce back from their 4-1 defeat to Burnley with a strong performance in the FA Cup. Bolton took on Barnet in the 3rd round and Josh Young named a much changed side, with Holgate and Oxford making their first-team debut. Bolton were hot favourites for this one but with their current form anything could happen. After early pressure from Barnet, Bolton hit back with Liam Trotter scoring in the 6th minute. 11 minutes later Wellington Silva, on loan from Arsenal, slotted in his 6th of the season. Things went from bad to worse for Barnet after Tom Champion brought down Gary Madine as he went through on goal. The result, a penalty for Bolton and a red card for Champion. Madine took the penalty himself, scoring to make it 3-0 to Bolton. But Madine wasn’t finished there. Immediately from kick-off Tom Walker took the ball down the left week and put an inviting ball into the box which was met by the head of Madine. 4-0 to Bolton now, Madine grabbing his second of the game. 10 minutes from time Madine scored another, completing his Hat-trick and taking his tally for the season to 11. A much improved performance by Bolton.

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Holgate (7), Moxey (7), Holding (7), Osede (8), Trotter (8), Oxford (6), Vela (7), Silva (8), Walker (9), Madine (9)
SUBS: Wilson (7), Davies (8), Gribbin (7)

Wednesday 20th January 2016 – MK Dons Vs Bolton Wanderers – Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON STARTING XI: Amos, Pisano, Moxey, Osede, Dervite, Trotter, Spearing (C), Vela, Silva, Feeney, Madine
SUBS: Rachubka, Holding, Holgate, Oxford, Danns, Walker, Clough

570441cfd0d1f_VsBolton.thumb.PNG.4b86dcb

Match Summary: After thumping Barnet in the cup Bolton were high on confidence and they took on MK Dons who were anchored to the bottom of the Sky Bet Championship. Thus, fans were optimistic of a victory and were even more optimistic after Gary Madine gave Bolton the lead after 7minutes. Bolton couldn’t hold on to the lead however, after Jake Forster-Caskey equalised for the dons on 31 minutes. This sparked an immediate response from Bolton who took the lead again through captain, Jay Spearing. Just minutes later MK Dons had equalised again through Simon Church. With momentum in their favour, MK Dons struck again just before half time to see them take a 3-2 into the break. HT 3-2. It took till the 76th minute for Bolton to break through MK Dons’ defence again when Wellington Silva equalised. The game finished 3-3 and a draw was probably a fair result.

Match Ratings: Amos (6), Pisano (6), Moxey (7), Osede (7), Dervite (7), Trotter (7), Spearing (9), Vela (7), Silva (9), Feeney (7), Madine (8)
SUBS: Oxford (7), Walker (6), Clough (7)

Saturday 23rd January 2016 – Bolton Wanderers Vs Cardiff City – Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON STARTING XI: Amos, Pisano, Moxey, Holding, Dervite, Trotter, Spearing (C), Vela, Silva, Feeney, Madine
SUBS: Rachubka, Osede, Holgate, Oxford, Clayton, Walker, Clough

570442753d7d5_VsCardiff.thumb.PNG.49debb

Match Summary: Bolton went in search of their first home victory under manager Josh Young when they took on Cardiff City at the Macron Stadium. Josh Young made one change to the team that took on MK Dons, Rob Holding replacing Derik Osede in defence. Bolton started the game brightly with a number of chances but they just weren’t being clinical and taking them. Cardiff did however take one of their chances, with Lex Immers slotting in a goal from close-range after some poor defending by Bolton. HT 0-1. After the break, Bolton were slow of the mark conceding again in the 48th minute to a Federico Macheda goal. Josh Young was going ballistic with his team from the side-line and promptly made a double substitution to try and get Bolton back in the game. Zach Clough was brought on and was certainly lively, and created multiple chances but he just wasn’t clinical enough and failed to score. After the game Young criticised his player’s performances saying, ‘It was lackadaisical defending and a really shoddy performance. Some players didn’t look interested and there wasn’t the passion and commitment that I’ve seen in previous games’.

Match Ratings: Amos (5), Pisano (7), Moxey (6), Holding (7), Dervite (7), Trotter (5), Spearing (6), Vela (4), Silva (7), Feeney (6), Madine (6)
SUBS: Oxford (6), Walker (6), Clough (6)

Saturday 30th January 2016 – Bristol City Vs Bolton Wanderers – FA Cup Fourth Round

BOLTON STARTING XI: Rachubka, Wilson, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Oxford, Trotter, Vela (C), Feeney, Walker, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Pisano, Spearing, Gribbin, Clayton, Madine

5704434b52af8_BristolCup.thumb.PNG.ed589

Match Summary: Bolton took on Bristol City in the FA Cup and both teams were evenly matched in the contest resulting in a 0-0 draw. Young was a lot happier with the defensive performance and praised Goalkeeper Paul Rachubka for a fine performance, which included some brilliant saves which kept Bolton in the game. Bolton just lacked the cutting edge and creativity in the final third to break down Bristol’s defence.

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Wilson (7), Moxey (6), Holgate (7), Dervite (8), Oxford (7), Trotter (7), Vela (5), Feeney (6), Walker (5), Clough (6)
SUBS: Spearing (7), Clayton (6)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer Business

Following the Bristol game there was a flood of outgoings leaving the club on transfer deadline day. Emile Heskey and Kaiyne Woolery were both released by the club. Stephen Dobbie, Neil Danns, Darren Pratley, David Wheater and Mark Davies were all sold to raise funds.

Stephen Dobbie signed for Portsmouth for 210k.
Neil Danns signed for Hudderfield for 500k.
Darren Pratley signed for Bolton for 725k.
David Wheater signed for Nottingham Forest for 1.6mil.
Mark Davies signed for Burnley for 2.9mil

The sales of the players help generate the cash needed to tackle the club’s wage expenditure problem. Unfortunately as the sales came on Transfer Deadline Day, Bolton were unable to bring in any players to the club.

Finances.thumb.PNG.5c3c81499eaf121b95c0c

Edited by YoungLad

You have turned around the financial situation hope you do the same with the way they are playing. KIU

Edited by pipaz4

Saturday 6th February 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Bristol City - FA Cup Fourth Round Replay

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Gribbin, Twardzik, Lussey, Spearing (C), Clough, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Wilson, Oxford, Vela, Feeney, Clayton

570fe51a32fed_VsBristolReplay.thumb.PNG.

Match Summary: After a rather dull 0-0 draw at Ashton gate, Bolton took on Bristol at the Macron Stadium in the FA Cup fourth round. Young fielded a strong squad, playing a 4-4-2 system, which clearly showed Bolton's intention to attack. The Trotters took the lead early on in the fourth minute after Callum Gribbin set up Filip Twardzik to fire home his 1st goal of the season. Just minutes later Bolton scored again, this time Twardzik the creator, sending Madine through who slotted the ball past Richard O'Donnell calmly. Straight from the kick off Bristol gifted the ball the Bolton and after some neat build-up play Callum Gribbin crossed to set up Madine for his second of the game. Bolton 3-0 up now and flying. 3-0 up and comfortable, Bolton went on to win the game after what was a good solid defensive performance from the Trotters. 

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Pisano (8), Moxey (8), Holgate (8), Dervite (8), Gribbin (9), Twardzik (8), Lussey (7), Spearing (7), Clough (7), Madine (9) Subs: Oxford (6), Clayton (7)

Wednesday 10th February 2016 - Leeds United Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Gribbin, Twardzik, Lussey, Spearing (C), Trotter, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Oxford, Wilson, Feeney, Clayton, Clough

IMG_1148.thumb.PNG.e95cff6e73ed303e60d68

Match Summary: Bolton were keen to bring their form in the FA Cup into the league after a poor run of games recently. The Trotters traveled to Elland Road on a wet and windy Wednesday evening. Bolton were dealt an early blow when youngster Callum Gribbin hobbled off the pitch after 18mins with a suspected thigh injury. The game after was fairly even, but it was a poor Bolton performance overall. After the match Josh Young said 'We weren't good enough today. That wasn't the same level of performance that I saw against Bristol on Saturday and I'm dissapointed with that. We'll have to be much better than that if we want to beat Huddersfield on Saturday' When asked about Callum Gribbin's injury said ' Well it's one of those where he's just over-stretched for the ball and he's felt something go in his thigh. And you can't keep on playing for risk you'll make it worse but it looks a nasty one'. Bolton later announced that Gribbin would be out for around 8 weeks with a thigh injury. 

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Pisano (4), Moxey (7), Holgate (8), Dervite (8), Gribbin (5), Twardzik (6), Trotter (6), Lussey (5), Spearing (4), Madine (5)
Subs: Oxford (5), Feeney (6), Clough (6)

Saturday 13th February 2016 - Huddersfield Town Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Wilson, Walker, Vela (C), Oxford, Trotter, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Clayton, Madine, Spearing, Twardzik, Taylor, Osede

IMG_1152.thumb.PNG.8298f0e84fa182b4e6bce

Match Summary: Josh Young made 5 changes coming into this bottom of the table clash. Notably, Captain Jay Spearing was dropped to the bench after a poor performance on Wednesday at Leeds. Young would be hoping that the fresh legs would bring some more energy to the midfield and in Young's pre-match conference he challenged 17-year old Reece Oxford to show him what he could do as Young handed him his first league start of the season. Former Trotter, Neil Danns started for Hudderfield after his summer move and would be hoping he could find the holes in the Bolton defense who hadn't conceded in 3 games. On twelve minutes, Bolton were hit with another injury blow with Francesco Pisano having to come off with a shoulder injury after an aerial clash with Huddersfield skipper Mark Hudson. Osede came on to replace him with Holgate shifting across to right-back, a position that he has played on occasions for Everton. In the 16th minute Bolton took the lead. Zach Clough with some neat footwork in the Huddersfield penalty area and then finishing nicely past Aston-Villa loanee keeper, Jed Steer. After that Bolton were happy to sit back and soak up the pressure from Huddersfield, Young reverting to a back 5 in the final half an hour, counter-attacking on Huddersfield when they could. Bolton held on to win the game 1-0. An important victory for the Trotter that saw them climb up the table two places.

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Pisano (6), Moxey (6), Holgate (8), Dervite (8), Wilson (8), Walker (6), Vela (8), Oxford (6), Trotter (2), Clough (8)
Subs: Spearing (6), Taylor (7), Osede (8)

Wednesday 17th February 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Ipswich Town - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Osede, Dervite, Spearing (C), Feeney, Twardzik, Vela, Oxford, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Taylor, Holding, Trotter, Wilson, Madine, Walker

IMG_1153.thumb.PNG.2e2a32abffa5c1b5ac620

Match Summary: After their 1-0 victory over Huddersfield on Saturday Bolton were more than happy to welcome an out of form Ipswich side to the Macron stadium. The visitors with just one win in their last 5 games. Captain Jay Spearing came back into the side and Derik Osede replaced Francesco Pisano as he had in the previous game. The home team started the game brightly and took the lead after a cracking effort from Jay Spearing. The midfielder certainly showing Josh Young why he should be in the first team, rifling in an effort from 35 yards out. 1-0 to Bolton. Minutes later and Bolton were on the attack again this time Josh Vela trying his luck from range. Keeper Bartosz Bialkowski could only parry the shot, and Zach Clough poached another goal from close range. Clough's 9th goal of the season. Ipswich hit back though in the 37th minute. Freddie Sears sneaking a precision shot into the top right corner from the edge of the area. The Trotters went into the break with a 2-1, but it had been Ipswich who had done the most attacking in the first half. It was Bolton however, who came out on top after the break and furthered their lead in the 58th minute when Reece Oxford grabbed his 1st goal for the Trotters. The game finished 3-1, a highly satisfying result and fully deserved after some excellent defending to keep Ipswich out. Josh Young's first home victory in the league. 

Saturday 20th February 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Middlesbrough - FA Cup Fifth Round

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Taylor, Dervite, Lussey, Wilson, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Spearing, Clough, Wilkinson, Clayton, Feeney

IMG_1154.thumb.PNG.841784559d5dd997f7685

Match Summary: Many fans were surprised when they saw the Bolton team sheet as Josh Young decided to rest some of his big players in light of Bolton's congested fixture list for February. Bolton playing their 5th out of 7 games this month. Bolton were in decent form coming into the game with 3 wins and 2 draws in their last 5. They were looking to cause an upset as they took of Middlesbrough, a side pushing for promotion in the Championship. Bolton have gained the reputation of being a first half team with 6 of their last 7 goals coming in the first half of the matches and they were at it again after Lawrie Wilson put the home side in front on 9 minutes. Jordan Rhodes thought he's equalized for Middlesbrough on 26 mins, only to have his goal ruled out, after Downing had strayed into an offside position. Just a minute later and the ball was in the back of the net again. Only this time the goal was for Bolton. Lawrie Wilson latching on to a loose back pass from Daniel Ayala and finishing calmly to grab his second of the afternoon. Bolton struck again  right before half time after Wilson crossed from deep, the cross swinging into the box and met by a thumping header by Gary Madine. The game finished 3-0 after an uneventful second half. Jay Spearing and Clough getting a run out in the closing minutes but not really to any effect. An excellent victory for the Trotters in the cup which saw them through to the Quarter Finals where there opponents would be West Ham United. 

Match Ratings: Rachubka (8), Holgate (8), Moxey (7), Taylor (8), Dervite (8), Lussey (8), Wilson (10), Walker (7), Vela (8), Trotter (8), Madine (7)
Subs: Spearing (7), Clough (7) 

Tuesday 23rd February 2016 - Derby County Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Taylor, Dervite, Lussey, Wilson, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Spearing, Clayton, Feeney, Wilkinson, Clough

IMG_1155.thumb.PNG.e7031941453fcf0e8d57b

Match Summary: Bolton will want to forget Tuesdays trip to the iPro arena after receiving a real trouncing by Derby. After a very impressive win against Middlesbrough on Saturday Josh Young named an unchanged team but his side struggled to handle the pace and athleticism of Derby from the off. Chris Martin gave his side the lead in the 14th minutea after Tom Ince took on Dean Moxey down the left. The winger allowed to get the ball in which was met by the head of Chris Martin. The strikers 3rd goal in as many games and the striker was on target again in the 30th minute as Martin fired home from close-range to give his team a comfortable 2-0 going into the break. After half time Bolton never looked like getting back into the game and the game was put to bed after Will Hughes scored in the 85th minute. The midfielder's third consecutive start for Derby after a long-term injury. Poor would be an understatement when describing Bolton's performance and after the match Young said 'Too may players looked uninterested today. If we want to stay in this division we have to fight for it and certainly not play like that'

Player Ratings: Rachubka (6), Holgate (7), Moxey (6), Taylor (7), Dervite (6), Lussey (5), Wilson (5), Walker (5), Vela (4), Trotter (6), Madine (4)
Subs: Spearing (7), Clayton (6), Feeney (6)

Saturday 27th February 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Hull City - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Dervite, Spearing (C), Oxford, Feeney, Clayton, Twardzik, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Wilson, Walker, Vela, Trotter, Madine

IMG_1157.thumb.PNG.c569cf828a66be3f1565d

Match Summary: Josh Young was clearly dissapointed with his sides performances against Derby in min-week and this was reflected in his team selection for Saturdays game against Hull. Only four players, Rachubka, Moxey, Holgate and Dervite, keeping their places. The visitors currently sat second in the Championship table, so the Trotters certainly had a tough task on their hands. Josh Young would have been happy with how his side started the game, his side showing defending well and also forcing City keeper Kuciak into some early saves. However, despite the positive start the home team found themselves behind after Nick Powell followed up Adama Diomande's effort which rebounded off the post, the midfielder firing in the shot at the near post. 1-0 to the Tigers. After the break Hull cranked up the tempo and showed why they were in the top two after some creative build up play on the edge of the Bolton box, Sone Aluko was put through, the striker dinking the ball over Rachubka to give his side a two year lead. It was a familiar story for the Trotters as Sam Clucas finished off Bolton in the 86th minute, the winger firing a shot hard and low across the Bolton goal finding the bottom corner. Back to back 3-0 defeats for Bolton as they slipped further down into the relegation mix. 

Match Ratings: Rachubka (6), Holgate (7), Moxey (5), Holding (7), Dervite (7), Spearing (6), Oxford (5), Feeney (5), Clayton (5), Twardzik (6), Clough (7)
Subs: Wilson (6), Walker (6), Vela (6)

Wednesday 2nd March 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Birmingham City - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Trotter, Wilson, Feeney, Vela (C),  Lussey, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Taylor, Holding, Walker, Madine

IMG_1156.thumb.PNG.52b22d5c1a71c7180a3f7

Match Summary: Bolton took on Birmingham at the Macron Stadium after two poor performances against Derby and Hull City. The Trotters were boosted by the return of Francesco Pisano who returned after nearly 3 weeks out with injury. Birmingham had struggled to win of late so Bolton looked to capatilize on this and get a much needed 3 points with games against Middlesbrough, Brighton and West Ham in the coming weeks. But the home side were behind after 16 mins. Clayton Donaldson putting Birmingham in front, heading in from a corner. Poor defending from Bolton as Donaldson was left in acres of space in the box. Despite pressure from Birmingham Bolton pressed on and in the 57th minute finally took one of their chances as Zach Clough equalized for the Trotters. The game finished 1-1 and a draw was probably a fair result. 

Player Ratings: Rachubka (8), Pisano (7), Moxey (6), Holgate (7), Dervite (7), Trotter (7) Wilson (5), Feeney (5), Vela (7), Lussey (7), Clough (7)
Subs: Twardzik (6), Walker (6)

Sunday 6th March 2016 - Middlesbrough Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Oxford, Wilson, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Dervite, Clayton, Wilkinson, Eaves, Madine, Taylor

IMG_1158.thumb.PNG.519d0dbb15aa874ead28f

Match Summary: 4 games ago, Bolton met Middlesbrough at the Macron stadium and beat them 3-0. Today they met in the league at the Riverside Stadium in the league. Last time the sides met in the league they drew 0-0, so Bolton were hopeful that they could take more points away from Borough this time too. The game started will for the Trotters and at half time the teams went in fairly even. Both had had chances but neither had capitalized on them. After the break though, Middlesbrough came out all guns blazing and took the lead on 54 minutes through Jordan Rhodes. The striker scored in the previous encounter between the two sides however his goal was disallowed. Once the first goal went in, Bolton's players heads seem to go and Middlesbrough took advantage of that. Alex Baptiste heading in from a corner in the 62nd minute. Bolton just couldn't hold on to the ball and were surrendering possession way too easily which made it virtually impossible for them to get back into the game. In the 79th minute Rhodes bagged his second after a ball over the top wasn't dealt with by Rob Holding and Rhodes went on to score past a redundant Paul Rachubka. After a promising first half, the game just slipped away from Bolton in what was a very disappointing second half. 

Player Ratings: Rachibka (6), Pisano (7), Holding (6), Osede (6), Oxford (6), Wilson (6), Walker (4), Vela (8), Trotter (4), Clough (5)
Subs: Clayton (6)

Tuesday 8th March 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Brighton and Hove Albion - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Taylor, Dervite, Feeney, Twardzik, Spearing (C), Vela, Lussey, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Holding, Osede, Wilkinson, Eaves, Clayton,Wilson

IMG_1159.thumb.PNG.5a4be351dcf9efe67afdb

Match Summary: Bolton have had a terrible time of late in the league with 3 defeats and 1 draw in their past four games. The Trotters have concede 10 goals and scored only one. Today, another big challenge, they took on Brighton at home. Bolton's home form was marginally better than their away form so were hoping they'd be able to take something from today's game against Brighton. Gary Madine gave the home side the lead on 19 minutes with the Trotter's first shot on target in the game. Bolton held on to their lead until the 43rd minute where their defence slipped up, failing to clear the ball inside the box, and Beram Kayal fired in from close range to equalise for Brighton. HT 1-1. After the break Bolton were guilty of one of their worst sins. They were slow to get off the mark and Brighton punished them for that Sam Boldock finishing for the Seagulls. In the 70th minute Bolton's hopes of getting anything from the game were all but put to bed after Anthony Knockaert rifled in a shot from the edge of the box to put Brighton 3-0. In the 89th minute Jordan Lussey saw red for a nasty tackle of Sam Baldock. A lazy challenge made in frustration and rightfully a red. The game finished 3-1 to Brighton and it wasn't about to get any easier for Bolton. A cup tie against West Ham and then a trip to League leaders Brighton.

Player Ratings: Rachubka (6), Holgate (6), Moxey (6), Taylor (6), Dervite (6), Feeney (7), Twardzik (7), Spearing (8), Vela (7), Lussey (7), Madine (8)
Subs: Eaves (6), Wilson (7)

Sunday 13th March 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs West Ham United - FA Cup Quarter Final

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holgate, Dervite, Wilson, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Clough, Madine
SUBS: Amos, Osede, Spearing, Clayton, Eaves, Feeney, Wilkinson

IMG_1161.thumb.PNG.74d4e767fdb2b16e7ee14

Match Summary: Bolton faced the impossible when they took on West Ham in the quarter final of the FA Cup. West Ham fielded a very strong squad and were good form in the league too, winning 4 of their past 5 games in all competitions. Josh Young surprised many fans by playing both Gary Madine and Zach Clough. Young was clearly adopting an aggressive approach to the game and his team selection was clear evidence that he wanted to do well in this competition. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and West Ham's quality ultimately overpowered Bolton. In the 18th minute West Ham took the lead through Emmanuel Emenike. Bolton did well to keep the score at 1-0 after the West Ham's creative player, Payet, Antonio and Valencia, began to become more and more involved in the game creating chance after chance. At half time it was 1-0. After the break, West Ham continued their assault on the Bolton goal but it took them until the 71st minute to score again, Enner Valencia doubling the Hammers' advantage. Things went from bad to worse for Bolton as they saw Pisano stretchered off the pitch with a head injury. The game finished 2-0 which is not the result Josh Young wanted but it was always going to be difficult to beat West Ham and the performance overall was good. 

Player Ratings: Rachubka (7), Pisano (7), Moxey (6), Holgate (7), Dervite (7), Wilson (6), Vela (7), Trotter (5), Clough (6), Madine (7)
Subs: Osede (7), Spearing (6), Feeney (6)

Wednesday 16th March 2016 - Sheffield Wednesday Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Pisano, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Dervite, Spearing (C), Oxford, Wilson, Twardzik, Clough
SUBS: Amos, Taylor, Holgate, Lussey, Vela, Feeney, Trotter

IMG_1162.thumb.PNG.4fbe3a131768465450e5e

Match Summary: Bolton traveled to Hillsborough on the back of 5 defeats in 6 games, desperate for a victory. The Trotters had slipped down into the relegation spots and needed at least a point to get themselves out, dependent on other team's results. They didn't have an easy task on their hands as their opponents were league leaders Sheffield, who'd only lost 4 times all season before this meeting. The Owls had only conceded an impressive 27 times all season and boasted the best defense in the championship. The Trotters adopted a change of formation for the game, Josh Young putting into place a 5-4-1 formation, The Trotters clearly looking to park the bus and make themselves difficult to break down. And the plan worked perfectly. Bolton managed to limit Wednesday's chances to just four shots on target and whilst the hosts had the most possession, Bolton managed to break up their play well in the midfield. Bolton also looked to counter-attack and this worked in the 62nd minute after Zach Clough scored after a speedy break down the right hand side by Lawrie Wilson. The Trotters won the game 1-0 in what was a much needed victory. 

Player Ratings: Rachubka (8), Pisano (6), Moxey (6), Holding (8), Osede (8), Dervite (7), Spearing (8), Oxford (7), Wilson (7), Twardzik (8), Clough (8)
Subs: Lussey (6), Holgate (7), Feeney (7)

Saturday 19th March 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Q.P.R - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Odede, Feeney, Walker, Spearing (C), Trotter, Madine, Clayton
Subs: Amos, Dervite, Taylor, Eaves, Wilson, Clough, Wilkinson 

IMG_1163.thumb.PNG.d5c270705234c479d5cf9

Match Summary: After the Trotters' victory over Sheffield their was a renewed feeling of confidence amongst the team. QPR were the opponents today, a side also fighting for their lives at the bottom of the championship. Young reverted back to a more familiar 4-4-2 formation but the tactics were still the same. Young felt that he needed to make his team more difficult to beat because they were conceding too many goals in previous games. The plan worked in the first half, the score 0-0 at half time once again but in the 52nd minute QPR took the lead through Sebastian Polter. Shortly after the goal went in Young made two changes bringing on Zach Clough and Conor Wilkinson in place of Gary Madine and Maxy Clayton. Both subs were lively when they came on and in the 73rd minute Zach Clough equalized for the Trotters. After that Bolton had a firm grasp on the game and began to dominate possession and put pressure on the QPR defense and the pressure payed off in the 86th minute when substitute Conor Wilkinson gave Bolton the lead. The game finished 2-1 to Bolton, another excellent victory for Bolton and well-deserved. 

Player Ratings: Rachubka (7), Holgate (8), Moxey (7), Holding (7), Osede (7), Feeney (7), Walker (8), Spearing (8), Trotter (6), Madine (7), Clayton (7)
Subs: Wilson (6), Clough (7), Wilkinson (7)

Edited by YoungLad

Saturday 2nd April 2016 - Reading Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Feeney, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Madine, Clayton
SUBS: Amos, Dervite, Taylor, Eaves, Wilson, Clough, Wilkinson

IMG_1164.thumb.PNG.4f15e28b805d3227f5634

Match Summary: Bolton traveled to the Madejski Stadium on the back of two victories and the Trotters showed their confidence in the first 5 mins, Max Clayton giving the away side the lead after heading from Dean Moxey's cross. But sloppy defending has cost Bolton all season and they were at it again on 7 mins when Rob Holding gifted the ball to Simon Cox who went through on goal and equalized for the Royals. On 12 minutes Bolton took the lead again, Liam Trotter shooting from distance and finding the bottom right corner. But once again Bolton failed to hold onto their league. Josh Young would have alerted his players about the threat of Matej Vydra but they clearly weren't paying attention as Vydra was given acres of space to head in comfortably in the box to score. HT 2-2. In the 69th minute the home side took the lead for the first time in the match. Oliver Norwood the goalscorer for the Royals. The game finished 3-2 to Reading, Bolton never really looked like getting back in the game unfortunately and Young was disappointing with his sides lack of effort in the second half. 

Player Rating: Rachubka (6), Holgate (6), Moxey (8), Holding (6), Osede (6), Feeney (7), Walker (7), Vela (7), Trotter (7), Madine (6), Clayton (8)
Subs: Wilson (7), Clough (6), Wilkinson (6)

Saturday 9th April 2016 - Bolton Wanderers Vs Rotherham United - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Feeney, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Madine, Clayton
SUBS: Amos, Dervite, Taylor, Eaves, Wilson, Clough, Wilkinson

IMG_1165.thumb.PNG.0fb8b7921812162849868

Match Summary: After defeat to Reading, Bolton were keen to bounce back with a victory against fellow championship strugglers Rotherham United. Despite the loss, Josh Young named an unchanged team and the players showed their manager why it was the right choice after 20mins when Max Clayton scored, the strikers 2nd in as many games. There were plenty of chances throughout the game both sides having plenty of chances but none being taken. Until, the 68th minute when Liam Trotter doubled the Trotters' lead. The 2-0 lead was more than enough for Bolton who went on to win the game 2-0. A very important victory for Bolton and those 3 points could be very important in the coming weeks. 

Player Ratings: Rachubka (10), Holgate (9), Moxey (7), Holding (8), Osede (8), Feeney (7), Walker (8), Vela (7), Trotter (7), Madine (8), Clayton (8)
Subs: Wilson (7), Clough (7)

Tuesday 12th April 2016 - Preston North End Vs Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet Championship

BOLTON XI: Rachubka, Holgate, Moxey, Holding, Osede, Feeney, Walker, Vela (C), Trotter, Madine, Clayton
SUBS: Amos, Dervite, Taylor, Eaves, Wilson, Clough, Wilkinson

IMG_1166.thumb.PNG.7bac4cf7ca89cab2d37af

Match Summary: For the first time this season, Josh Young fielded the same starting 11, three games in a row. This time, their opponents were Preston. The sides were fairly evenly matched until the second half when in the 65th minute Callum Robinson gave Preston the lead. As Bolton pushed for an equalizer Preston just sat back and soaked up the pressure, trying to catch Bolton on the counter-attack whenever possible. In the 87th minute Preston doubled their league. Andy Little firing home from close range for Preston. Game Over. FT 2-0 Preston.

Player Ratings: Rachubka (7), Holgate (7), Moxey (6), Holding (8), Osede (7), Walker (6), Vela (6), Trotter (5), Madine (7), Clayton (7)
Subs: Wilson (7), Clough (6) 

Leading up to the final four games of the season it was all the play for in the Sky Bet Championship. Bolton currently sat 20th in the table, 3 points clear of Rotherham who currently occupy the last relegation place. MK Dons were already relegated however, Bristol City still had a chance to survive but they would need at least 10 points from their final 4 games, and Preston not to pick up any points to survive

IMG_1167.thumb.PNG.27b624b9178a53f46c3d1

Below is the remaining four fixtures for the bottom 6 of the Championship...

5716b31801a67_Final(4).png.d17d31acb8fe5

Analysis: The team in the best form heading into the final four games of the season is Brentford who are currently lie 5 points clear of relegation. They arguably also have one of the easier group of fixtures, which also involves a big game with Bolton, where 3 points could be vital. The team with the hardest fixtures is arguably Bolton and Bolton aren't in a great run of form currently. Manager Josh Young will be looking particularly at Brentford and Fulham games to pick up points. 

Predicted Table Finish:

19th Bolton Wanderers - 46points
20th Brentford - 45points
21st Preston North End - 43points
---------------------------------------------
R 22nd Rotherham United - 41points
R 23rd Bristol City - 34points
 R 24th MK Dons - 16points