Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Best counter for this opposition tactic

Rumtickler

What's the best way to counter this tactic? I'm in Vanarama National and a couple of teams use it. 8/10 times I'll lose. 

I play a 4-4-2 attacking at the mo. 

Screenshot_20161122-194444.png

Screenshot_20161122-194456.png

I played against Spurs in the cup (as Villa) who used this tactic and they absolutely smashed me 5-1 (only difference being the left Winger was in line with the rest of the midfield). Bear in mind i was 2nd in the PL at that time, so it was an unusual result.

IMG_4132.PNG

I accepted the defeat and moved on but i probably should have reloaded the save and experimented to see how to counter it. Sorry i can't offer much help but if i come across it again i'll try a few things out. I notice that it's set to counter attack, so playing an Attacking style probably isn't a good idea, and you'll likely get overrun in midfield so perhaps come up with a way of countering that (i was running a 4-2-2-2 so i suspect this is what happened to me). I'd probably run Full Backs instead of Wing Backs too.

First you gotta make sure you have a quality squad to work with otherwise there's no formation to counter any decent side like Spurs.

I generally don't use an offensive style in away games unless I need a big result or many goals from my striker for a specific challenge but it's opportunistic and risky.

What you could try is go a bit more defensive like 5-4-1 or a 3-5-2 (defensive) or just a basic 4-4-2 and look at the players who underperform regularly. Replace those and see if the team performance improves. 

Counter att works well with pacey wingers or lone striker so make sure you got speed up front. ADF role works well in combo with a DM (DLM role) behind him.

Tweak test try things out as you go. Hope it helps a bit.

3 hours ago, TedB86 said:

I played against Spurs in the cup (as Villa) who used this tactic and they absolutely smashed me 5-1 (only difference being the left Winger was in line with the rest of the midfield). Bear in mind i was 2nd in the PL at that time, so it was an unusual result.

IMG_4132.PNG

I accepted the defeat and moved on but i probably should have reloaded the save and experimented to see how to counter it. Sorry i can't offer much help but if i come across it again i'll try a few things out. I notice that it's set to counter attack, so playing an Attacking style probably isn't a good idea, and you'll likely get overrun in midfield so perhaps come up with a way of countering that (i was running a 4-2-2-2 so i suspect this is what happened to me). I'd probably run Full Backs instead of Wing Backs too.

Thanks, this was in Vanarama National. I ended up accepting defeat aswell but luckily mine was only a 1 - 0 loss.

2 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

First you gotta make sure you have a quality squad to work with otherwise there's no formation to counter any decent side like Spurs.

I generally don't use an offensive style in away games unless I need a big result or many goals from my striker for a specific challenge but it's opportunistic and risky.

What you could try is go a bit more defensive like 5-4-1 or a 3-5-2 (defensive) or just a basic 4-4-2 and look at the players who underperform regularly. Replace those and see if the team performance improves. 

Counter att works well with pacey wingers or lone striker so make sure you got speed up front. ADF role works well in combo with a DM (DLM role) behind him.

Tweak test try things out as you go. Hope it helps a bit.

Although I am not prem, pace is something I am lucky to have (19 pace on a youth!!! was a reserves promotion at end of season one :) 

As mentioned in previous quote, I lost in the end but only 1-0. I agree though, a more defensive setup would likely have been best.

I normally use 4-4-2 attacking: P and TM up front, IF left and Winger Right (not 12 pace), AP and BBM mid, WB, CD, LD, WB in defense. To get the 1 - 0 loss I played 4 -2-3-1 Full backs left and Right, 2x CD, BBM and AP in mid, IF, CM, W in Attacking mid positions and a DLF in attack. 

Had lots of missed opportunities so a bit gutted I lost but either way, it's not so bad. 

The 4-2-3-1 sounds OK in fact as long as you don't go att. mentality. It's not always the formation you know.

Sometimes it could be something as simple as just having a couple slightly better players in key areas than you have playing right now, think spine of the team (CBs, CMs, STs)

I play tiki taka against this style and i easily brush them aside. 4-2-3-1 using a DLP,CM,AP,IFs,ADF. Do not use wingbacks nd CBs should be limited and central depending on their abilities, use balanced,central,short, nd committed tackling,pressing.