Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S4NCH0

Why "Liga MX" would be a good addition

Why "Liga MX" would be a good addition

891967226_1LigaMX.png.4d85118012d594bc97dce52759d63aaf.png

With FMM19 just around the corner, speculation over which leagues should be added hasn't ceased. Names like China, Greece, Argentina, and Mexico have been mentioned. And it is Mexico's "Liga MX" in which I will be focusing today, since I am Mexican and love this league. 

Context

The League Format

Composed of 18 teams from various cities around the country, the league format is very different to what european league fans are used to. The League is made up of two separate tournaments for every calendar year: Apertura and Clausura (loosely translated as Opening and Closing respectively) both with the same 6 month duration and value. They winners of each tournament then face in the Super Cup MX, which is a new trophy with not much value (it is played usually by B teams and barely televised). 

The cup "Copa MX" is also played during the regular season, with the inclusion of Second Division teams and the exclusion of CONCACAF Champions League participants. 

Apertura and Clausura Formats

As I've said, they both have the same format so I will explain them as one.

The league has 18 teams and therefore each team plays a total of 17 matches. After the regular season is over, the first 8 placed teams qualify for a knockout phase known as liguilla (which may translate to little league). The liguilla phase games are decided according to the position each team finished the league in, so 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th. The games are played in two separate legs with the best placed team playing at home for the second leg. In case of a tied aggregate score the first sorting rule is away goals followed by best position on the table. 

The winner is decided in a 2 leg final. The winners of both tournaments, together with the runner-ups win the right to play the CONCACAF Champions League.

Copa MX 

Played in two phases, group stages and knockout stages. Played twice every calendar year. The teams are randomly sorted into 8 groups of 3. After a two legs Round Robin system the first two places of each group go into the knockout stage, which consists of only 1 game played in the best placed team's stadium. 

Relegation

Here is were things get really complicated. After the end of every calendar year 1 team is demoted to the second division and 1 team is promoted into the first division. Or at least most of the times. First, the relegation process works as a coefficient. Points from the last 6 First Division short tournaments (3 Clausura and 3 Apertura) are added together and divided by the number of matches played. This coefficient is then used to rank the teams from highest to lowest, at the end of each calendar year the team placed 18th in the coefficient table (even if the team had ended 1st in the regular table) is demoted into the second tier. But things might get even more complicated. The most recent team to be promoted won't, obviously, have stats for the last 4 tournaments, so when calculating his coefficient at the end of the next 2 tournaments, he won't have as many games played as the other 17 teams, thus making his coefficient way more volatile. Also, as the second division of Mexican soccer lacks the economical and structural infrastructure, measurements have been taken to prevent unfit teams from playing in the first division. So the Mexican Football federation gives certification just to teams they think have the conditions to make it in the First Division. As a result, if the team who won promotion from the second to the first division by sport means, might loose their right to the spot on court. 

If the team that achieves promotion is tagged as unfit, then the relegated First Division team has the chance to buy their place in the division back by paying 5 million dollars to the league and another 2 million dollars to the "un-promoted" team. If they don't have the financial means or don't want to retain the spot, the "certified" team with the most points in the Second Division takes their place. 

Now, why is LIGA MX a good addition?

CONCACAF:

After the addition of MLS for the first time in FMM18, the table is set for another CONCACAF league to be added to the game. The Champions League format is already there, the North American database has been expanded to never seen before levels and the national teams from north american countries are now available. Adding Liga Mx, means adding the strongest league in North America and it would be without doubt very fun to manage along with the MLS. Mexican teams have always been the better teams in CONCACAF and in recent year they have one every single North American Champions League.

Historical Teams:

With teams like Chivas de Guadalajara, America, Pumas and Cruz Azul, we would get the chance to manage teams packed with history and great players. Players like Hugo Sanchez (5 times Spanish pichichi winner), Chicharito Hernandez or Guillermo Ochoa have all emerged from this teams. Added to them, teams like Atlas or Pachuca have one of the brightest Youth Acdemies of the continent with players Hirving "Chucky" Lozano, Andres Guardado and Rafael Marquez all coming from their youth ranks. Some interesting challenges come to mind, can you win the league with Chivas following their only-mexican policy? or can you win Atlas some silverware after a drought of more than 60 years?

Good Foreigner Players

Liga Mx was graced with players like Ronaldinho and Emilio Butrageño, some year ago. Now, the foreigner players don't come for their retirement, they sometimes even come in their prime. Players like Andre Pierre Gignac, Leandro Ulloa, Jeremy Menez, Nicolas Castillo, Enner Valencia and many others have arrived in Mexico to play their best, giving the league a higher stature among the rival Continental competitions. 

Wonderkids

In recent years, Liga MX has been exporting amazing youth to mainly European Leagues. Players like Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, Javier Hernandez, Hirving Lozano, Raul Jimenez and Erick Gutierrez have all packed their bags and crossed the Atlantic. Currently, players like Victor Guzman, Diego Lainez, Jose Angel Abella or Rodolfo Pizarro together with tenths of other promising players, await the opportunity to fight for a chance in european football. 

Conclusion

In conclusion, adding the Liga Mx, would mean excitement, new formats to explore into,wonderkids and tons of fun. And while you are at it you may even try to reignite Carlos Fierro's spark (looking at you @Ashez). Hope it is added. 

Really interesting read mate, I can't say I know anything about Mexican football so I enjoyed the lesson! I've not really considered Mexico before but with such an unique format it would be a welcome addition in my book as I'm all for leagues that feel different. 

Personally I'd love Brazil back as for me that was the league of dreams, ideally though I want leagues that can match Portugal as a second tier league with money, thats why I wanted Turkey, Ukraine, Russia and maybe Greece but unfortunately Turkey ended up disappointing. 

The Fierro call back is some shout, that was a 2015 save! I assume he just didn't push on in real life like most the FMM series suggested he could?

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

Personally I'd love Brazil back as for me that was the league of dreams, ideally though I want leagues that can match Portugal as a second tier league with money, thats why I wanted Turkey, Ukraine, Russia and maybe Greece but unfortunately Turkey ended up disappointing. 

Can't agree more, I'd enjoy playing the Copa Libertadores once again. And yeah, Turkey did come out as a disappointment. 

2 hours ago, Ashez said:

The Fierro call back is some shout, that was a 2015 save! I assume he just didn't push on in real life like most the FMM series suggested he could?

First career I ever read here on Vibe. He never fulfilled his potential, he now plays for a middle table Mexican team

Really nice article and I definitely know more about Mexican football. It is certainly an interesting format but that relegation system makes my head hurt 🤯

I would love to see some South American leagues like Brazil or Argentina added but Mexico sounds good and it would add more interest to MLS having the two major Central/North American leagues in the game.

Nice article!

The complexity of this league would definitely make it interesting to play as a manager. Also the amount of young talent in the Mexican league is insane. It would definitely be a nice addition.

9 hours ago, Foxy said:

Really nice article and I definitely know more about Mexican football. It is certainly an interesting format but that relegation system makes my head hurt 🤯

I would love to see some South American leagues like Brazil or Argentina added but Mexico sounds good and it would add more interest to MLS having the two major Central/North American leagues in the game.

The relegation system looks very interesting on paper, but it is actually too complicated and gives place for conformism. 

I would prefer Argentinian or Brazilian over the Mexican League in any situation, cause it would mean new knowledge and even more wonderkids. But in this situation when only 2 leagues are being added, I would love one of those positions to be taken by Mexico.

8 hours ago, Jeroenvk94 said:

Nice article!

The complexity of this league would definitely make it interesting to play as a manager. Also the amount of young talent in the Mexican league is insane. It would definitely be a nice addition.

Thanks! 

I hope it is added. I have a feeling it is similar in some aspects to the Dutch League, youth talent, knockout stages in the end of the league and amazing fans. 

added 0 minutes later
4 hours ago, Cerdo said:

I’m a french living in Mexico, it would be so funny to manage Club America !!!

Sadly, i think they will add Russia, China o Brazil before.

Only time will tell...