Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chat How to develop young keepers in this game

Just that really, I've never been able to do it without extensive loan periods or time on the bench, and I've come across this world class potential Ghanaian keeper who is going to sign at the end of the season and I really don't want to mess up his career before it has even started, and my current keeper, 21 year old Moha Ramos keeps having massive dips in star rating when he gets a 5 or 6 in matches. You don't see this as much in outfield players so I'd just like to know why it happens to keepers. Thanks

Screenshot_20200102-174023_FM20 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200102-174011_FM20 Mobile.jpg

You can pretty much forget those star ratings - there are real Current Ability and Potential Ability values, but you can't see them in the game (you can see the star value for them in the Editor if you bought it though). The in game star values though are just your staff's opinion and jump around all over the place based on your team's reputation, the reputation of other players in that position at the club, form and a bunch of other stuff.

Personally, the only thing I use them for is to see whether the player has potential to develop (the one above does because their in-game CA is a lot lower than their in-game PA.

But yeah, I've had a lot of trouble in 20 (and 19) developing young goalies. You can find young players who have a lot of potential (and I've seen this in test saves where I have access to real CA/PA) and their attributes just don't increase much, even though they are leveling up... It seems to me they develop better on loan than in the reserves or maybe even senior game time.

It can be quite variable though - just when you've given up and think GKs don't develop, one will come along who does... Quite frustrating...

8 hours ago, Scratch said:

Personally, the only thing I use them for is to see whether the player has potential to develop (the one above does because their in-game CA is a lot lower than their in-game PA.

a lot of you hate the stars but i quite like them - i use them a fair bit. but then i'm not an elite player, so maybe it's my downfall :)

i can't quite put my finger on it, but for example one use would be to monitor their form :)

as for the keeper, i'd keep loaning him out - let someone else suffer the mistakes and give him the game time he needs. i don't know how reserve football compares to this, but yeah, i would keep giving him new contracts and monitor his performances while he's away, and when he seems ready (probably 22-23), you can start using him yourself...

21 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

a lot of you hate the stars but i quite like them - i use them a fair bit. but then i'm not an elite player, so maybe it's my downfall :)

I don't hate them, I just don't trust them. I like the concept of them not being reliable, but they do fluctuate way too much in my opinion.

If I was the game designer, I'd have them a little more closely related to their real CA/PA, but with a filter from the staff person in question. I'd make the views of the different staff all available - so you could get your Ass Man's view, then you could get your Attacking Coach's view and they'd all be a bit different. The filter would be based on the staff person's ability (better staff would be more accurate), but would have some randomness in it too. Form would affect it, but much much more slowly than it does now...

Anyway, I'm not the game designer! 😄

7 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I don't hate them, I just don't trust them. I like the concept of them not being reliable, but they do fluctuate way too much in my opinion.

If I was the game designer, I'd have them a little more closely related to their real CA/PA, but with a filter from the staff person in question. I'd make the views of the different staff all available - so you could get your Ass Man's view, then you could get your Attacking Coach's view and they'd all be a bit different. The filter would be based on the staff person's ability (better staff would be more accurate), but would have some randomness in it too. Form would affect it, but much much more slowly than it does now...

Anyway, I'm not the game designer! 😄

i actually thought, as i wrote it, that "hate" was a bit OTT... tying them so closely to CA/PA might make it too "easy" really... one thing i'd do is make Bronze scouts and coaches just plain wrong, maybe 30% of the time? bit less for Silver, and less of course for Gold (but not zero). a million and one real-life examples of clubs releasing players they thought would never make it but they turn out to be decent...

11 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

i actually thought, as i wrote it, that "hate" was a bit OTT... tying them so closely to CA/PA might make it too "easy" really... one thing i'd do is make Bronze scouts and coaches just plain wrong, maybe 30% of the time? bit less for Silver, and less of course for Gold (but not zero). a million and one real-life examples of clubs releasing players they thought would never make it but they turn out to be decent...

Nah, I got what you meant, just clarifying my position. I don't want it too closely tied to real CA/PA either, but I've seen Messi's regen come back with 1.5 star PA (according to staff) and not just occasionally, it's quite often wildly wrong. I like it being wrong like that sometimes, just as often as it is. And I think better staff should have a better chance of recognising talent. 

So yeah, I like the plan of making different level of staff different percentage of wrong. Maybe Bronze are often very wrong, while Gold are often very right. I don't know exactly what percentages would be right, but what you've got makes sense. 

And yeah don't want it to be too accurate, that would be boring, just less wildly inaccurate (and maybe it's the fluctuation that is the worst part of it).

Edited by Scratch

Ok thanks very much for the responses- the general consensus seems to be loaning out young players seems to be the key, and just sign some decent older keeper who won't fluctuate so much and keep one young one on the bench and loan out the rest, as there is one out on loan from me in the conference and he seems to be doing pretty well. It still irritates me though that after signing a 21 year old from real Madrid who had game experience in the championship and then in league two from me and has still shrunk from 4.5 stars to 2.5, does this mean he is more unlikely to achieve his PA? Thanks