Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2015 Tactical Analysis - Triangles

UKFootballScore

Tactical Analysis - Triangles

74037336.thumb.jpg.71d3ee843bf92a76b4c26

Hey guys I've wanted to do something like this for a while now!

I set out to create a tactic that had triangles all over the pitch to dominate possession and create as many clear cut chances as possible. 

So heres what I came up with…

Screenshot_2015-08-03-18-59-54.thumb.png

Here we have a 4-1-1-2-2 the roles I'll go into later

Firstly we'll have a look at what triangles it creates and how they arent your normal triangles that can be easily dedended or broken down!

IMG_20150804_132857.thumb.jpg.cedef1ef32

You can see above that it creates all sorts of different shaped triangles but still has that effect of each player having at least two short passes available to him.

This allows for the team to dominate possession with short passing.

Player Roles

Goalkeeper - Goalkeeper

This is set to your normal goalkeeper, no Sweeper Keeper here.

Full Backs - Wing Back

Here we have 2 Wing Backs on each side to push forward into a position to fully optimise the Triangles with the midfilders

Centre Backs - Central Defender

Nothing fancy needed here just need them to be available for a pass back but as there should be other options available to players further forward it shouldn't require to be used too much

Defensive Midfielder - Ball Winning Midfielder

This player is a big player for the defensive side of the game and more often than not will be laying the ball off quickly to one of the full backs or forward to the CM. 

Central Midfielder - Box to Box Midfielder

Here we need to have an explosive dynamic midfielder, think Gerrard in his prime would be perfect for this role. Ramires for Chelsea would be the best fit on the game for this in my opinion.

He needs to be the link between attack and defence through the middle and will be the man to decide whether the team can go forward or go back and start again. Hes also the player with the most triangles with the rest of the team than the others.

Attacking Midfielder Centre - Advanced Playmaker

This is the man to create the chances for the team, also to pop up with a goal or two here and there.

Most of the time he'll be trying to bring a wide player into the game or use them as a decoy and find space for himself to pull the strings up front.

Attacking Midfielder Left - Winger

A straight up, bog standard, old fashioned winger that will be whipping in crosses and linking with the Wing Back and AMC to find space to cross into the middle 

Forward Left - Inside Forward

Alot of the time he will be looking for the ball from the wing back or B2B midfielder and will look to cut in and try to get in behind the defence giving the left back a tough time! 

Forward Centre - Advanced Forward

This is your finisher the man to take the chances presented to him throughout the game! 

In my example match ahead the Advanced Forward missed 4 Clear Cut Chances out of 6 that was created! If I had played Mitrovic or Cisse it would have been more than the 3 goals we scored.

…………To be continued………

Screenshot_2015-08-04-10-19-08.png

Ok so we'll move onto the actual example match now

We had a Capital One Cup Match against Queens Park Rangers

An ideal time to see this tactic in action.

At the end of the OP we saw Robert Green taking a goal kick lets go back to that

Screenshot_2015-08-04-10-19-08.thumb.png

As you'll see above we have the flat back four in perfect positioning all in a straight line. Moving forward you can see that in midfield there is a diamond slightly shifted to the left.

Now where the FR is stood out right is important as this creates confusion between the DL and DLC as each will have to be in constant communication with one another or Ayoze Perez (FR) will have bags of space, mainly will be one on one with the DL. If the DLC decides to come over and counter this by doubling up on Ayoze he'll leave our FC one on one leaving it down to the DC's to decide whos more dangerous making it harder to defend over 90 minutes. The DR occupied by Girogos Samaras (AML) as a one on one alot of the time.

So ive been playing on with the tactic to test it more and am doing rather well to be honest

Currently sat in 4th in December which I'm sure you'll agree is great for Newcastle! 

Id be interested to see how the team sets up when the goal kick is on the left side.  Also it does seem to leave a lot of room for the B2B to cover - how does that work?

thanks mate. It looks great. Just wondering if you could also cover why you chose to have Janmaat in the traditional wingback position rather than forward one spot up the pitch (ie to DMR position) - which I would have thought would enable him to link up better with Perez ?