Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S4NCH0

Greek Football for Dummies (FMM2020)

Guide to Greece in FMM2020

random-greece-fact.jpg.e3deb1da21633c31e553b96272316e62.jpg

Land of philosophers, beautiful beaches, cultural heritage, exciting myths, great parties, and above all delicious Gyros; an incredible country to say the least, but football wise? At least in the American continent we don’t really hear about Greek football, and for all I know in Europe greek basketball is much more under the spotlight than its football. Football fans around the world remember the underdog story of Greece in the 2004 Euros, some of us close to our hearts; some other fans may have seen with awe the amazing tifos, chants and atmospheres lived in Greek stadiums, but apart from that only a few set of things are popular about Greek football outside Greece. Therefore, here goes a guide to get to know a little bit more about the new addition to the game and help build the hype. 

Background:

Let's start with some context, some facts, some history, before going into more depth:

Spoiler

2000px-Flag_of_Greece_svg.thumb.png.c60fd9b121c1e7fcae897f056d3e4a7a.png

Foundation: 

• As the Panhellenic Championship (1927)
  • As the Alpha Ethnic (1959)
  • As the current Greek Super League (2006)

UEFA Rankings: 15th 

Average Age: 25.7 years

Youngest team: Asteras Tripoli (23.8 years)

Oldest team: Aris (27.3 years)

Cheapest team: PAS Lamia (7.2 million euros)

Most expensive team: Olympiakos (90 million euros)

cup.thumb.jpg.c0ce7d6bc4f71043763d0d0d4e6524b4.jpg

Domestic Cup:

- Greek Cup

Current Champions:

• PAOK (League One)
  • Volos (League Two)
  • PAOK (Greek Cup)

Participants & Format: 

•  
Spoiler

• League One:
    • 16 teams
    • Home and Away format (30 matches)
    • First place qualifies for Champions League 
    • Second to fifth placed teams play European playoff
      • Winner qualifies to Champions League second qualifying round
    • Last two teams get relegated
  • League Two:
    • 14 teams
    • Home and Away format (26 matches)
    • First two teams get promoted
  • Greek Cup:
    • One-legged Knockout for the first 3 Rounds (41 teams)
    • One-legged Group Stage as Fourth Round (32 teams, 4 per group)
    • Two-legged Knockout from Round of 16 to Semifinals (16 teams)
    • One game Final (2 teams)
    • Winner Qualifies for Europa Leagues Third Qualifying Round

Titles by Club:

Spoiler

League One

• Olympiakos: 44 titles
  • Panathinaikos: 17 titles
  • AEK Athens: 10 titles
  • PAO: 3 titles
  • AEL: 1 title

Greek Cup:

• Olympiakos: 27 titles
  • Panathinaikos: 18 titles
  • AEK Athens: 15 titles
  • PAOK: 7 titles
  • Panionios: 2 titles
  • AEL: 2 titles
  • Aris, Iraklis, OFI, Ethnikos, Kastoria: 1 title

Individual Records:

Spoiler

Top Scorers:

• Thomas Mavros: 260 goals
  • Krzysztof Warzycha: 245 goals
  • Mimis Papaioannou: 234 goals
  • Giorgios Sideris: 229 goals
  • Antonio Antoniadis: 187 goals

Most Appearances:

• Mimis Domazos: 536 appearances 
  • Nikos Nioplias: 509 appearances
  • Giorgios Koudas: 504 appearances
  • Thomas Mavros: 501 appearances
  • Salvas Cofidis: 493 appearances

The Big Three:

No we are not talking about Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, this is football. As in most footballing nations, there’s usually 2 or 3 big teams who dominate the league and cups winning almost every tile by buying the best players from other local clubs or by managing to bring foreign quality players, Greece is not an exception. In our nation of interest we have Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and AEK Athens (some even cite PAOK among them) as the big three. Here is some information on them:

Spoiler

Olympiakos:

Olympiakos.jpg.36788f81aa9f18cc2bc62a0266076899.jpg

Founded under the Olympic ideals, Olympiakos are the most laureated team in Greece with 44 league titles and 27 cup titles. They are also the most widely supported team in the hellenic nation. They play the “eternal enemies derby” against Panathinaikos, which has lead to some intense matches and some incidents in the past. They have a strong “football friendship” with Spartak Moscow and Nottingham Forest. 

Founded: 1925

City: Piraeus

Nicknames: The Red-Whites; The Legends

Stadium: Karaiskakis Stadium (capacity: 32,115)

Best Player: Konstantinos Fortounis

Panathinaikos:

pana-14.jpg.27bbe314013c3d740584390c7bff5777.jpg

The second biggest team in Greece, The Shamrocks are also the oldest one. They hold the honor of being the only Greek team to ever access a European Tournament’s Final (1971, Champions League). The Shamrock on their badge represents the universal values of unity, harmony, nature and good luck. The team, as mentioned above, shares a huge rivalry with Olympiakos, while also having friendly relationships with Rapid Wien and Rome (since they are also an Ancient World capital city)

Founded: 1908

City: Athens

Nicknames: The Shamrocks

Stadium: Athens Olympic Stadium (capacity: 69,618)

Best Player: Federico Macheda (believe it or not)

AEK:

AEK.jpg.5428bc3c281d3dfc03b6b45c948fc9a3.jpg

The third most winning team and only one to ever win all Hellenic Football Federation titles, AEK Athens are also among the most popular ones. The eagle in their badge, and the black and white colors are a reminder of the club’s Constantinople origins. Their left-wing mentality has gained them a friendly relationship with Marseille, Livorno and recently St.Pauli. As for their rivalries, Panathinaikos is their biggest one due to them sharing the same stadium and their capital city status. A rivalry with PAOK has emerged in recent years due to clashes in important matches.

Founded: 1924

City: Athens

Nicknames: The Union, The Double-Headed Eagle

Stadium: Athens Olympic Stadium (capacity: 69,618)

Best Player: Ezequiel Ponce

Teams to manage:

Following now, four teams which I believe could make for an entertaining career/challenge in FMM2020:

Spoiler

Panathinaikos: Bring back their glory days

escpana.thumb.png.d2749f108870f6e6a8679a66bf2013e8.png

As mentioned above, Panathinaikos are the only Greek team to ever reach a European Competition final in 1971, they are also the second most league winning team in Greece, tournament which has evaded them for 11 seasons now. Can you end their decade-long draught in the League? Can you bring them back to a continental final and avenge them making the first greek team to lift a European trophy? Or for a very long term challenge: can you help them to more than 24 league titles in order to surpass Olympiakos? 

It shouldn’t be such a tough challenge domestically, so the fun will mostly be out of Greece once you manage to dominate locally. 

Aris Fc: Once a giant always a giant

ARIS.thumb.jpg.1b90518256c539ce6902e3906801fe41.jpg

With not a huge fanbase, nor marquee players, nor flooding in money, it’s very probable that only a few have heard about Aris Fc outside of Greece, but they are the first ever league champions and a founding team of the Greek league. They won their first league title in 1927 and went on to win it again in 1931 and 1945. However, the last few decades haven’t been so good for them, they played in the third division as recently as 2016 and haven’t won a mayor trophy in the last 50 years when they won the Cup, and have no league title in the last 73 years.  Can you bring back the distant glory days of Aris Fc? Can you strengthen a weak team and make them challenge the Big Three? A fun challenge certainly.

Panionios: You can’t win anything with kids (nor with locals, nor with point deductions)

panionios.jpeg.59fa2ab1e4b51d2c44db5d50a03dd13e.jpeg

The oldest team in greek history (founded 1890), Panionios Fc hasn’t been in a state of grace recently. As pointed out by andrelotti, Panionios FC from the Greek Super League One have been penalized this season and will be deducted 6 points at the start of the season, as well as having a transfer restriction with which they can only buy Greek players under 23 and only 1 over 23 player. Will you be able to win anything with the above mentioned restrictions? Can you save Panionios from relegation?

A.E. Karaiskakis F.C: From rag to riches

AE_Karaiskakis_logo.png.e43e00fb7817ce7069f74659f3d6f4e0.png

Last season Karaiskakis were the worst positioned team of the current Second League teams, they are also one of the newest and smallest teams in Greece, having a 1,900 capacity stadium and being only recently created in 2012. They got promoted to the Football League only 2 years ago and are among the favorites to get relegated, can you help them stay afloat and eventually build a superpower from scratch?

Young players to keep an eye on

To end this guide, a list of 4 Greek Super League youngsters to keep an eye on. One goalkeeper, one defender, one midfielder and one attacker that might be useful to refresh each line in you careers.

Spoiler

Konstantinos Kotsaris

kotsaris.jpeg.8e771d861e56e2b3307a09f6a7288728.jpeg

Kotsaris is our first pick in goal. He is a young talent who currently plays for Panathinaikos and is tipped to become one of Greece’s best goalkeepers in a few years. He is 23 at the moment but as we all know goalkeepers tend to reach their potentials older than field players, so he still has some years ahead of him, but not so many. He is currently a substitute at Panathinaikos, where the right coaching and game time can make him a very interesting player. 

Position: Goalkeeper

Nationality: Greek 

Team: Panathinaikos FC

Georgios Antzoulas 

Antzoulas.jpg.0d02a8414d78dd79e2ded13877d18fb2.jpg

This 19 year old 1.90 m defender is one of the biggest young talents in Greece. He had a rapid start to his career when after playing 10 games for Asteras Tripoli he was loaned out to Fiorentina’s U19 team. Before returning to Greece for this season, Antzoulas played 35 games in Florence managing to play almost 2,400 minutes. Now, back in Asteras Tripoli, Georgios will try to fight for a first team spot, which for the near future seems as the next step.

Position: Center-back 

Nationality: Greek 

Team: Asteras Tripoli FC

Dimitris Limnios

Limnios.thumb.jpg.e04065ddf7152660cc86d7ceb14da6a1.jpg

Limnios is in his last days of wonderkid status and is expected to step-up anytime soon. He started his career in 2014 in Atromitos where he played almost 40 games alongside more than 30 underage National Team Caps for Greece. He is a very powerful winger and since his move to PAOK in 2017 he hasn’t stopped providing and growing, with 10 assists and 7 goals in 50 games. His performances caught the eye of the Greek Senior national team and he already has 3 caps, after picking his native country over Brazil. 

Position: Winger 

Nationality: Greek (Brazilian)

Team: PAOK FC

Ronaldo Shani

1745879086_ronaldoShani.jpg.1747074f3f70e74f629bf75ced32c6d1.jpg

Scouted by Atalanta and Sampdoria, 2020 could be Shani’s first and last year in Greece’s first division. He is a 1.8m striker who has shown enough talent in order to be considered among the 60 best young talents of 2019 by the Guardian. He already has had a few caps for the U17 and U16 Greek National teams and is expected to become an important talent in the future. 

Position: Striker

Nationality: Greek (Albanian)

Team: Atromitos FC

That’s all from me this time. Hope you enjoyed, if you did leave a like and a comment, if you didn’t I’m all up for constructive criticism. 

Thanks for reading, and until next time. 

added 0 minutes later

Up next: Danish League for Dummies 

:) 

Edited by S4NCH0

The only small criticism I would give is the use of spoilers. In articles, I say the fewer the better. 

Takes nothing away from the content. Very interesting and informative. I enjoyed it, @S4NCH0 looking forward to the Danish one. 

14 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

The only small criticism I would give is the use of spoilers. In articles, I say the fewer the better. 

Takes nothing away from the content. Very interesting and informative. I enjoyed it, @S4NCH0 looking forward to the Danish one. 

I thought it was a good way to keep order and keep it neat. Would you advice rather erasing them? Thanks for the comment! Danish one will be up by tomorrow if everything goes according to plan.

1 hour ago, S4NCH0 said:

I thought it was a good way to keep order and keep it neat. Would you advice rather erasing them? Thanks for the comment! Danish one will be up by tomorrow if everything goes according to plan.

For careers yes for obvious reasons but imo the info you put in spoilers really deserves to be in people's faces. It's all very relevant to the league or it's info, such as teams to manage and players to look out for, that will get people very excited for the new game. Exception is maybe only 'Titles by Club' and 'Individual Records', which could be in spoilers, but such side info is still gold for people like myself who love creating challenges. 

Having that said, I'm already looking at potential clubs to take on those Big Three. And the club logo's. Gorgeous. Really beautiful logo's some of these Greek clubs have. 

Good work! 

59 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

For careers yes for obvious reasons but imo the info you put in spoilers really deserves to be in people's faces. It's all very relevant to the league or it's info, such as teams to manage and players to look out for, that will get people very excited for the new game. Exception is maybe only 'Titles by Club' and 'Individual Records', which could be in spoilers, but such side info is still gold for people like myself who love creating challenges. 

Having that said, I'm already looking at potential clubs to take on those Big Three. And the club logo's. Gorgeous. Really beautiful logo's some of these Greek clubs have. 

Good work! 

That's a really good point. I will implement it for the Denmark post tomorrow, because I don't know why I can't erase the spoilers on this one. Thanks for the comments Bati, can't wait to see what crazy challenge/career you manage to come up with for next year!! 

30 minutes ago, Lord Danish said:

Interesting Denmark next

Thanks!! Spoiler: Denmark is a painfully complicated league format hahaha.

Panathinaikos has economic problems and young players. It is not strong any more like olympiakos and paok😢Also greek league has play- off this year. 

Edited by panathas
2 hours ago, panathas said:

Panathinaikos has economic problems and young players. It is not strong any more like olympiakos and paok😢Also greek league has play- off this year. 

Thanks, I did mention Paok as a “Fourth Giant”. But Panathinaikos regardless of their economic situation are still a big name. 

As for the playoff I’ll edit that later. Sorry hahaha. I couldn’t find any information on it. Thanks for feedback 

On 29/10/2019 at 09:56, Kanegan said:

Great article @S4NCH0. Really helped me learn about Greek football. Looking forward to your Danish one.

Thanks man, sorry for the late response, really appreciate your comment. 

On 30/10/2019 at 07:13, Ian said:

Nice guide with plenty of good info. I’m really tempted to have a go with Panionios when the new game comes out as that’ll for make a nice challenge.:)

Panionios seems like a very exciting challenge. I will definitely take on it since they have a great Mexican talent who never managed to succeed other than in Greece. 

1 hour ago, andrelotti said:

Great article @S4NCH0

Thanks for the mention regarding Panionios 😊🤘

Thanks man, sorry for not tagging you correctly I forgot to do so as I was publishing this. I really appreciate your comment