Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help help

Woody2019

Since no replies, let me offer my 2 cents. I'm not great at making defensive tactics, I'm the first to admit that, but maybe the following advice is still useful to you. 

I very rarely start games with a defensive mindset, to keep clean sheets or absorb pressure and play on the counter. But what I occasionally do is turning my regular, attacking or balanced styles into more defensive ones. Be it due to a numerical disadvantage or to run down the clock to bring home victory vs stronger opponents. The obvious thing to do is tweak def shape, play more disciplined, less expressive, time waste etc. 

The other thing I tend to do is to have more defensive-minded subs to replace my more attack-minded ones. For example, I'm currently playing 2 Wingers on ML/R spots. My subs are WMs, slightly less adventurous and a little more focused on defending or maintaining possession. Tweaking the roles themselves is an option but not nearly as effective since quality Wingers are never going to be good at defending. So replacing them with proper WMs or DWs is the way to go. BPDs same story. BPDs aren't always your best defenders as they're creative and bring a risky game with their forward runs. Tweak the role to a more defensively stable one and have proper CBs as subs. APs no different. Replace these with a CM, DLP or even DM that has better def. skills to stabilize midfield /support the backline. 

So in short, try tweaking your regular tactics, rather than creating an entirely new one. Tweak all/most attacking roles to more balanced or defensive ones. And more importantly, never have the exact same type of player on the bench. Have subs in place that offer something different and are more def. minded than the players they're replacing, thus better suited for the job. Proper lads that know how to play in that more defensive style of set-up you're trying to create. 

Hope that helps. 

15 minutes ago, Woody2019 said:

Thanks dude I am keying to do a 1k Challenge

Would it not work in your favour to have a high scoring tactic rather than defensive? Doesnt matter if you concede 50+ goals if your striker is scoring 70+?

Just now, Woody2019 said:

My striker is only getting about 30 goals mate

I may be being naive here but a defensive tactic will only reduce that number surely? An attacking tactic may result in more goals let in, but potentially hell of a lot more scored. 

2 minutes ago, Jsavfc said:

I may be being naive here but a defensive tactic will only reduce that number surely? An attacking tactic may result in more goals let in, but potentially hell of a lot more scored. 

Pretty sure @Scratch won't agree with that 😂, he's an expert in playing defensively but scores a lot

10 hours ago, Woody2019 said:

I have tryed a attacking formation still the same

Is the reason you're asking for defensive tactics because you're conceding too much and therefore losing too many games? Well, one way to counter that is to try and go even more offensive and attempt to outscore opponents no matter what. But that's a personal thing I enjoy doing, because it's a bit of a challenge. 

I wouldn't try going defensive or attacking from the start tho. That rarely works in my opinion. What I'd recommend to anyone starting out creating tactics is to just focus on getting something, anything gets you points on the board. There's countless tactics guides and useful tips all over the site. Once you got any sort of decent base formation that wins you at the very least 6-7 out of every 10 games consistently , I'd look for ways to improve on things, be it more assists, more goals, more gls to specific players clean sheets, etc whatever the challenge at hand. 

But you gotta have a solid base formation and tactics to begin with. One that you're familiar with and are sure is reliable with the players you got and *consistent* (can't say it enough), otherwise you're just removing water out of a sinking ship.

10 hours ago, Kun Aguero said:

Pretty sure @Scratch won't agree with that 😂, he's an expert in playing defensively but scores a lot

Yep, I play 4 3 2 1 with a Defensive mentality (and Narrow, Short Passing, Run with Ball, Work into the box, Mixed passing focus) and am well on my way to completing a 2KC. I find that it results in a much higher % of the chances going to the striker. That said, there are some caveats:

• It works for me because I have a world class Celtic team playing in a pretty weak Scottish League. It does seem to work well in the CL as well though - but your mileage may vary if you are using it in a stronger league or in a situation when you and the opponents are more evenly matched.
  • The main reason it works is that it maximises the number of crosses coming in to the striker. I have an Aerial 20 striker and Crossing 19/20 Winger and in this version (and 19 too) that is a formula for lots of goals. However, since one of the FMM20 updates, it has become much much harder to train strikers to Aerial 20 - so although this works for me now, it might not work for my next career.
  • It doesn't work against every opposing tactic (especially overly defensive ones), so you need to have a more attacking alternative tactic you can switch to.