Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tactics DanEnglish’s Attacking 4213 (and Tactical Variants!)

DanEnglish

DanEnglish’s 
Attacking 4213 / 4231

38618522-00CC-48E2-B19E-BD769F08DC60.jpeg.7c6c007cc65e20dc9968c88de1613b3c.jpeg

Here is my favourite attacking tactic - due to popular request - used in FMM23, as the match engine is pretty much the same in FMM24.  

The Tactic
Here is the 4213 tactic: a back 4, with a central midfield 3, and a front 3 … showcased by my 2026 World Cup winners 🏆 

06B392D7-E7E9-4D15-8A19-2A5F69A47BBB.thumb.jpeg.122e892d85c8eba9203cfb5d86e6d96f.jpeg

It’s suitable for ‘good to great’ teams - edit - now with added details / explanations about 'WHY'

Spoiler

Shape:

• Mentality - any of 'control', 'attacking' or 'overload' should work. I use 'attacking' as it is the most ... er ... 'attacking' of the mentalities, without being too extreme.
  • Width - I use 'narrow', so it's easier for the IFs to be involved in play (they are not too far away from the midfield three).
  • Tempo - haven't tested other tempos.
  • Creative Freedom - either 'normal' or 'expressive' would work fine with this tactic. As I'm happy for my players to do things slightly differently from my instructions, or to take more risks - to be more creative. 

4BD73370-329A-4C75-AAEA-A7E1F6A44F4B.thumb.jpeg.4142a22823c106fc056054df74dd18e4.jpeg

Defense:

• High line = typically I use relatively high 'pace' center-backs (min. 14-15 pace in a top league, min. 12-13 pace in the lower leagues), plus I use a sweeper to (hopefully) counter-act any balls over the top. If my center backs had lower pace, then I'd probably use a 'mid' defensive line instead.
  • High press = as we have 3 across the front line + 3 central midfielders, it makes sense to close down all the way back to their defenders & keeper. I get often get a few goals from this high press.
  • No offside trap = as I have quick defenders & a sweeper. Haven't tested using this with it 'on'. 
  • Others = not important to me, left as default

E9D21139-2051-4BAB-A3F1-6344C762629F.thumb.jpeg.c977d18812673ff4eb915bc1e44435d6.jpeg

Attack:

• Work into box = typically my players take a lot of long shots anyway (have 3 central midfielders), so switching work into box 'on' reduces the wasted long shots a little, encourages better quality chances.
  • Run at defence = I used to always use 'through balls', but it never seemed to work out for me. I seem to score much more with 'run at defence' on instead. This is particularly for the AF + IFs, as typically they are quite pacey, and if any of my 3 attackers gets through on goal, then I want to encourage them to dribble it forward (instead of holding up the ball and waiting for a through ball opportunity).
  • Short passing = encourages keeping a little more possession and gets the short passes to the more attacking players once they are in position. Typically is suitable for 'good' to 'great' teams anyway.
  • Passing focus = my default is 'mixed ... BUT if I have a low aerial ST, then often I have one IWB and change this to central ... OR if we haven't scored and I'm desperate for a goal, then I may switch to 'central' just to try something different.  

81BBC518-CD5D-40C0-9044-B4B1EB4BCDDA.thumb.jpeg.bb9b571514082e98737d018b54876ce1.jpeg

The Tweaks
I make three sets of standard tactical ‘tweaks’ - depending on my team + the opposition tactic + the score line.

Spoiler

WBs / FBs / IWBs - I’ll change these depending on my team / how I want to score.

• One or two WBs - with a ‘mixed’ passing focus, if I have a dominant team, a high aerial ST + want more crosses. 

• Two FBs - with a ‘mixed’ passing focus, if I want a bit more solid defense (no WBs!) yet still keep crossing to a high aerial ST. 

• or an IWB + FB - with a ‘central’ passing focus, if I want varied (one wide, one central) passing options from the back. 

BWM + B2B - I’ll swop these around depending on my opposition’s player roles - there is always a BWM + a B2B, but sometimes the BWM is on the left, sometimes he’s on the right

Overload - I’ll switch to overload, with an SS, RP + BWM combo if I’m desperate for a goal.

*New* Tactical Variants
This tactic is NOT designed as 100% plug and play.

Actually - this attacking 4213 is my default tactic - BUT there are 5 variants which I rotate between -  depending on the opposition’s tactic + match situation.  

Spoiler

A) Normal / Attacking 
This 4213 is pretty effective for me + is my default tactic for ~80% of matches.

B350C4AF-68BA-4515-B081-C2C80294923A.thumb.jpeg.bcae2d35740f55d5574adf709e2652bf.jpeg

B) Normal / Black Hawk Triangle
Used if the opposition has a very attacking central midfield - e.g. a 5212, or anything with 2 central midfielders with an attacking role (RP, AP, B2B) - or where they have a dangerous AMC.

Why? This central midfield gives more defensive cover.

FA07E971-C191-4581-8635-FDBB63D5245B.thumb.jpeg.83fe5ba48be83dbaf0a6e536dcca1ffd.jpeg

C) Defensive / 
Used if the opposition also have a midfield triangle, midfield diamond (!) or in a close match where I want to protect a narrow 2 goal lead. We still have a goal threat from our two IFs.

Why? It either keeps possession nicely, or defensively covers an opposition midfield diamond.

B7BD8B5F-99E7-4BDE-848B-12DF3570A1FD.thumb.jpeg.311adac668c87ca8718e736d51326f90.jpeg

D) Ultra Defensive
Used when I’m desperate to defend a late single-goal lead from 70-80 mins on.

Why? The DWs prevent opposition FBs from putting in late crosses / getting corners. While the central midfield is packed to prevent opposition through balls.

C03BC0D0-BDE1-4E78-93B8-D129EF3EB2A9.thumb.jpeg.8fa206ae71937efeed32a620d39ee522.jpeg

E) Ultra Attacking
Assuming I do not have an aerially dominant ST - then I’ll use this if I’m desperate to score a late winner / equalizer.

Why? The SS becomes a 2nd striker, and the RP moves into the AMC space.

6D5B1ED6-00A6-4C6F-810B-095EFC979F2D.thumb.jpeg.61637abec67ee1bfb8ab661c952ce31d.jpeg

*New* The Players

As requested - this spoiler contains the ‘role options’ / ‘attributes needed’ for each position. 

Spoiler

Striker
 - Purpose: goal-scorer.
 - Role: usually AF - but PF, CF + TM are all ok.
 - Key Attributes: to move into space + score goals you’ll want shooting, decisions, movement, pace.
 - Secondary Attributes: ideally you will have a high aerial ST (+17 aerial + strength in the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 EPL / Championship, +15 in the 🇺🇸 MLS / 🇦🇷 Argentina) + other attributes like dribbling, passing, technique, aggression, teamwork and stamina are always nice to have.

⚠️ Only use a CF / TM if you have a high aerial ST ⚠️ otherwise you’ll have lots of wasted crosses

Wide Attackers
 - Purpose: goal-scorer and/or assist-provider.
 - Role: usually IF - but PFs are also ok. 
 - Option 1: if you want a goal-scorer, you’ll want shooting, decisions, movement, pace.
 - Option 2: if you want an assist-provider, you’ll want passing, creativity, decisions, movement.

Attacking Midfielder
 - Purpose: usually assist-provider, or could be a goal-scorer
 - Role: usually AP, but any can work - could be a Treq (if you have a Messi player) or an SS (if you are desperate to score), or a less creative m AM
 - Option 1: if you want an assist-provider (AP), then you want passing, creativity, decisions, movement.
 - Option 2: if you want a goal-scorer (SS), then you want shooting, decisions, movement, pace.

Central Midfielder
 - Purpose: link build-up play between defensive + attack
 - Role: usually a B2B, but an RP works (if you want to be more attacking) or a normal CM can work (if you want to be more defensive)
 - Key Attributes: passing, tackling, decisions, movement, positioning, stamina
 - Secondary Attributes: it’s nice if they have shooting, technique, teamwork, pace, strength.  

Defensive Midfielder
 - Purpose: link build-up play + crucially cover the opposition attacking midfielder
 - Role: I rely on a BWM, but theoretically an Anchor could also work.
 - Key Attributes: passing, tackling, decisions, positioning, strength.
 - Secondary Attributes: aggression, teamwork, stamina.  

⚠️ The BWM is a vital position ⚠️ I explain WHY in a later post / the comments section.

Wide Defenders
 - Purpose: provide crosses (if have a high aerial ST), link build-up play + defend!
 - Role: could be a WB, FB or IWB. 
 - WB Option: normal wide defender attributes (tackling, decisions, positioning) + crossing, pace, stamina
 - FB Option: normal wide defender attributes (tackling, decisions, positioning) + crossing, passing, pace.
 - IWB Option: normal wide defender attributes (tackling, decisions, positioning) + passing.

⚠️ Which role to pick is explained in ‘the Tweaks’ section above ⚠️

Central Defenders
 - Purpose: link build-up play + defend!
 - Role: usually a normal DC + a Sweeper - but BPDs / two DCs could also work.
 - Key Attributes: aerial, tackling, decisions, positioning, pace, strength.
 - Secondary Attributes: passing, aggression, teamwork.

⚠️ If your DCs do NOT have high pace, then you should use a ‘normal’ defensive line ⚠️

Goalkeeper
 - Purpose: link build-up play + defend!
 - Role: usually a normal GK, but a SK is good if you have the right keeper
 - GK option: all normal GK attributes, including decisions, positioning, strength.
 - SK option: all the above, plus high technique + high pace.  

Note - I have dramatically under-valued the usefulness of some attributes throughout these role descriptions - including technique, aggression, teamwork + plus the 3 physical attributes (pace, stamina, strength). 

The Teams

This has been successfully tested across multiple FMM23 careers …

… with the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England national team, the 🇺🇸 USA’s MLS, the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 English Championship, the 🇪🇸 Spanish 2nd Division, the 🇦🇷 Argentinian league, and the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 English non-leagues … see spoiler for (a LOT) of detail 🙂 … 

Spoiler

1. My Guide to ‘Score More Goals’

Spoiler

<link>

38BACE65-3251-4C4D-B17C-0CF2A8089856.thumb.jpeg.a367b0e3fedbf5ea9de5f6dd7a4f519a.jpeg

Gave 4 different options to ‘score more goals’

2. My ‘Messi’s Miami MLS Magic’ career.  
Used to dominate the 🇺🇸 USA MLS league 

Spoiler

<link>

63A77788-AE49-45F0-A251-44ED8C5EDAE2.thumb.jpeg.e2606e0f777a19c8da97802bf98b1b62.jpeg

This used Messi as a Treq (instead of an AP), a PF upfront, with either PFs / IFs on the flanks …

WHY? As Messi wasn’t going to press, so I wanted the others to do that for him!

3. My Big Sam ‘Relegation Challenge’
Survived in both the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 English Championship + 🇪🇸 Spanish 2nd Division using this as one of my two main tactics.

Spoiler

<link>

9FA1551A-8FB2-49A0-B88A-5ADA4AA5BDFA.thumb.jpeg.0ca344811441032b2a97689502a46b8e.jpeg

Used the core tactic with a WB + a FB.

85BAA056-B9B5-438B-8CDE-10AE2CE31D3F.thumb.jpeg.d964ad691a4a8de92177c8f06a8291f9.jpeg

Used a TM with two WBs - as had a high aerial ST.

4. My ‘Discord Rebuild’ Challenge
Plus used it in 🇦🇷 Argentina to win that ‘Discord rebuild’ challenge 

<screenshots later>

5. My ‘GOAT Challenge’ Attempt
The hardest thing I’ve ever done in FMM - used in 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England’s lowest league in this terrifyingly difficult challenge.

Spoiler

<link>

9AE83441-15D0-4525-98D4-C8D2A5ABFCBB.thumb.jpeg.59e7e2b2450238c201268cd82d6ccd06.jpeg

Used with a mix of FBs and/or IWBs - depending on which players were fit + available!

Similar Tactics
You’ll notice this has similarities with sone other tactics:

Spoiler
  •  @Black Hawk / The Black Hawk 4213 - which actually was before + inspired my tactic. I wanted a more attacking version 🙂 with an AMC + 2 MCs (he has a DMC + 2 MCs). I also have more variety in my FB + ST roles.

• @unitedlad / Diagi’s 4213 - which had just been released and looks very similar to mine - but definitely different as uses a DLP in the middle (I use a BWM) plus a CF and 2 PF combo upfront 

Summary
This attacking 4213 - with its standard tweaks - was a high performing tactic for me in FMM23 across many leagues - both with elite and lower league clubs.

I would recommend it for ‘good to great’ teams:

Spoiler
  •   recommended for ‘good to great’ teams (e.g. any top 6-10 Premier League
  • ⚠️ could be used for completely dominant teams (e.g.. Celtic) can use this, but can perform better with much more attacking tactics (e.g. using only one DC!)
  • not for poor teams / relegation candidates - who may find themselves torn apart defensively. 

Thoughts? 🙂 

Edited by DanEnglish
4 minutes ago, Sadboypromise said:

Who score the mist goal

The central ST scores the most, then the IFs. 

The only exception was in the Messi MLS save. Then he was the 2nd highest scorer as the AMC

710DA993-D399-4117-AFD9-D107C42FA018.thumb.jpeg.0eac75a51b1f6287cea52ee01fb65fc5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sadboypromise said:

I have a better striker with good aerial which one do you recommend me using DAN

Sorry - I don’t understand what you are asking 🤷 

So In a midfield of 3 (2 CM and one deep DM)

- after assigning AP role to one CM, then who should be assigned BWM role? a DM or the other CM

The same applies to BBM.

Added in a *new* section about the ‘tactical variations’ - as while this is my default tactic for ~80% of matches, there are another 4 variations which I use for different match situations!

1 hour ago, BelloUTD said:

So In a midfield of 3 (2 CM and one deep DM)

So this tactic does not use that. Instead it uses an AMC (AP) + 2 MCs (BWM + B2B).

1 hour ago, rseven said:

A little complex...Not easy to follow. 

You are absolutely right. While I have just tried to ‘tidy up’ the sections, have also added that *new* section which complicates things further. This however is what I actually do in my saves, so … 🤷 suggestions welcomed.

44 minutes ago, till malkovich said:

Please share your Park the Bus tactics - defense and attack options. Thanks

Haha - yeah sure. I’ll try to do that in the next few days 👍 

14 minutes ago, DanEnglish said:

You are absolutely right. While I have just tried to ‘tidy up’ the sections, have also added that *new* section which complicates things further. This however is what I actually do in my saves, so … 🤷 suggestions welcomed.

Love the detail in here, thank you!

I agree in that it's long and complex, however that's how to get the most out of the game so I wouldn't take anything away from it as it's amazing knowledge to be sharing.

I don't do that many changes or review the opposition as much as I could, I tend to maybe make one or 2 changes per game and that's it, however reading your ideas and thoughs makes me understand the roles, etc. a lot better.

I think most people want a plug and play tactic where you score 5 goals per game and never concede, which is basically impossible, although reading these definitely helps to create a tactic to get closer to that 🔥

1 minute ago, Nihilist said:

Amazing post. Thanks for sharing. Is the sweeper normal or offensive?

Thanks! In FMM / Mobile, there is only one type of sweeper. The aim is that it ‘hopefully’ sits back a little to protect against long balls over the top - but to be honest I’m not sure if the sweeper dies that in the match engine or not.

On 29/12/2023 at 23:36, till malkovich said:

Please share your Park the Bus tactics - defense and attack options. Thanks

IMG_20231229_183504.jpg

Done you can see it here:

Absolute monster of a tactic, used the normal tactic as plug and play

AF is getting majority of goals and silly assists. Once my team is dominant I’d experiment with WBs

More attacking than Black Hawk.

@DanEnglishhas hit gold again

IMG_6470.png

IMG_6471.png

IMG_6472.png

Hi DanEnglish,

I have more deep questions below. 

1. Why select "Attacking" Mentality?

2. Why BWM not other role?

3. Why expressive? Who will be more creative? 

4. Why "run at defense"? for IF?

5. Why high defense line?

Good questions.

1 hour ago, rseven said:

1. Why select "Attacking" Mentality?

Key Point - I think that any of 'control', 'attacking', or 'overload' would work fine with this tactic.

Explanation - I chose 'attacking' as it is the most ... er ... 'attacking' of the mentalities, without being too extreme. You can see that I believe mentalities are like sliders for risk/reward (see my post <here>), so have picked the mentality which asks my players with forward moving roles (IF, B2B, FB) to do that more often, without being too extreme.

1 hour ago, rseven said:

2. Why BWM not other role?

Key Point - in that MC position, either a BWM or an Anchor should work fine in this tactic.

Explanation - this is a big one. BWM is possibly one of the most misunderstood & under-valued roles in FMM - but I really struggle to explain it.

• The Problem - one of the key sources of conceding goals is an opposition attacking midfielder being unmarked (an AMC or a AP/RP in an MC position), having too much time & space - danger! Then one of your DCs step up to close them down, leading to a through ball for their pacey opposition ST to have an easy one-on-one with your keeper. Argh!
  • The Need - unless you have a completely dominant side, I therefore believe that almost every tactic needs a designated defensive midfielder (any role in the DMC position, or a BWM / Anchor in the MC position) - who will cover this opposition attacking midfielder.
  • The Solution - why? because (when your team are out of possession) I think the BWM & Anchor are the only MC roles which will drop deep and central into the DMC position, to cover the opposition's attacking midfielder, and essentially prevent +80% of those danger situations where their attacking midfielder has too much time & space to destroy you.
  • Sorry if this is a bit complex / difficult to understand. I see it a lot, but struggle to explain it.

1 hour ago, rseven said:

3. Why expressive? Who will be more creative? 

Key Point - I think either 'normal' or 'expressive' would work fine with this tactic.

Explanation - as this is a tactic for 'good' to 'great' teams (not average nor poor teams), then I'd expect my team's technical / mental attributes to be above their average opposition. Therefore I'm happy for them to use their superior attributes to do things slightly differently from my instructions, or to take more risks - to be more creative.

1 hour ago, rseven said:

4. Why "run at defense"? for IF?

Key Point - yes exactly. It's particularly for the AF + IFs.

Explanation - this is a final third instruction, so would mainly apply to my 3 attackers (AF, IF, IF) and sometimes my 2 attacking midfielders (AP, B2B). If any of my 3 attackers gets through on goal, then I want to encourage them to dribble it forward. Plus my attackers tend to be quite quick + I find this combo is more effective than 'through balls' (which is usually strangely disappointing for me).

1 hour ago, rseven said:

5. Why high defense line?

Key Point - because it's quite effective for me haha.

Explanation - again, as this is a tactic for 'good' to 'great' teams (not average nor poor teams), then I'd expect my team's attributes to be above their average opposition. Plus I highly value 'pace' in my center-backs (14-15 pace is a typical requirement for me, perhaps a minimum 12-13 pace in the lower leagues), plus I use a sweeper to (hopefully) counter-act any balls over the top. 

Extra - if my center backs had lower pace (e.g. Maquire), then I'd probably use a 'mid' defensive line instead. 

2 hours ago, CrashhartNew said:

More attacking than Black Hawk.

That was exactly my intention. I loved the Black Hawk tactic, but wanted it to be more attacking and found the 4213 formation to better control the game & better create chances.

Though if the opposition fields 2 to 3 attacking midfielders (any AMC + any AP/RP in the DM/MC positions) - then I frantically switch to the Black Hawk style 4123 as fast as I possible can! 

Have just added a series of explanations into the 1st spoiler of the main / 1st post. E.g. why a high line, why attacking mentality, why short passing, etc.

Maybe later I'll try to add some commentary about 'why' each role - but have already added that commentary about the ones I change around (GK / SK ... WB / FB / IWB ... AF / PF / TM, etc). 

4 hours ago, till malkovich said:

Am I the only one waiting for that legendary fmmvibe member to come up with his famous question? 

IMG_20240103_121129.jpg

You only miss them once they’re gone 😢

On 03/01/2024 at 16:44, CrashhartNew said:

You only miss them once they’re gone 😢

Cheer up! We have a new troll (Paddy P) to replace the missing LFCTERAS. 

IMG_20240104_185030.jpg

6 hours ago, Chuong231 said:

the post is very wonderful ❤️

But I have a question for you: attribute fornecessary attribute for position

Tks!

Done have updated the main post with a new section called *New* The Players

On 03/01/2024 at 17:05, DanEnglish said:

Key Point - I think that any of 'control', 'attacking', or 'overload' would work fine with this tactic.

Explanation - I chose 'attacking' as it is the most ... er ... 'attacking' of the mentalities, without being too extreme. You can see that I believe mentalities are like sliders for risk/reward (see my post <here>), so have picked the mentality which asks my players with forward moving roles (IF, B2B, FB) to do that more often, without being too extreme.

Mentality will impact a lot for players behavior, especially for FB. In control mentality, FB will not involve much in attacking, less moving forward and crossing. In attacking mentality, FB will more like WB. 

Key Point - yes exactly. It's particularly for the AF + IFs.

Explanation - this is a final third instruction, so would mainly apply to my 3 attackers (AF, IF, IF) and sometimes my 2 attacking midfielders (AP, B2B). If any of my 3 attackers gets through on goal, then I want to encourage them to dribble it forward. Plus my attackers tend to be quite quick + I find this combo is more effective than 'through balls' (which is usually strangely disappointing for me).

"Run at defense" is most visible in "final third" options. In current FMM engine, dribbling is safer than passing. the small issue is BBM will dribble with ball and go to flank...

Explanation - this is a big one. BWM is possibly one of the most misunderstood & under-valued roles in FMM - but I really struggle to explain it.

For the defensive role in the midfield, I want to get more your ideas.  BWM will closedown the opposite player who with the ball, and leave his position. I think BWM here is to cover the position when our team in possession and chase the ball at first time when opposite counterattack. Am I right?

On 07/01/2024 at 01:10, Dnepr751 said:

I was trying with Brighton, and was a big problem for me. 

I am not surprised. This is a tactic for ‘good’ to ‘great’ teams in that league. That would be any of the top 6, maybe top 10 squads in the English premier league.

I don’t think Brighton are in the top 6, and probably not in the top 10 squads. So yes I would expect you to struggle with this.

Hey DanEnglish. I wanted to extend my sincere thanks for sharing your tactic. It worked incredibly well for me and made a significant difference. I was also wondering if you might be willing to share a set-piece tactic. Your advice and tactics have helped me, and I'd love to learn more from your strategies. Thanks again for your valuable contributions to the forum!

On 05/01/2024 at 13:55, rseven said:

For the defensive role in the midfield, I want to get more your ideas.  BWM will closedown the opposite player who with the ball, and leave his position. I think BWM here is to cover the position when our team in possession and chase the ball at first time when opposite counterattack. Am I right?

I think BWM’s are highly misunderstood. 

When our team are out of possession, and if the opposition has an attacking midfielder (AMC or RP / AP in the MC position) ..

• ‼️ then I see our BWM dropping deep + central into the DMC position ‼️

23A37A4A-1546-45C8-AC9D-63C5B676D31F.jpeg.a864ecc3b4e0a03bd5e68ed05788e86a.jpeg

• ⚠️ however you need to be careful NOT to overload your BWM ⚠️ I.e. ensure he only has ONE opposition attacking midfielder (not trying to cover two or three of them!)

Want more info / details?

Spoiler

57BFF04B-CABD-44E6-929D-E19333449989.thumb.jpeg.9df55f9f3db55edaae4e3d3608e31d90.jpeg

0DFB54C4-F21E-4BDF-B6D3-1172D0A1E5E0.thumb.jpeg.7bb7032d17b03908c5c8215bc403736c.jpeg  
0AF7E58D-76BD-4BC2-92D8-84CA494B6461.thumb.jpeg.591bd0b156545e07e491f1fdd8b798ff.jpeg

1F793FEC-D308-4B6D-8EB1-666FA97DED54.thumb.jpeg.b938f6927e0d21da7deb1159131c3d90.jpeg

Thoughts? 🙂 

Edited by DanEnglish