Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2013 Learning from the best: FC Porto

Dec

I know that this may sound odd but here it goes...

I went to Lisbon a few weeks ago and I was in the taxi on the way to the hotel. We were passing the Benfica and Sporting Lisbon stadium and I was looking at them with my Dad. Then the taxi driver said to me you like football? I said yes and then I told him my favourite team and the best team in Portugal. He looked at me and said that Porto is the most corrupt not in money sense but that they are up to something that most Europeans don't know about.

Anyone know what he was on about?

They usually are, on the press. But how many of them actually come true?

Apart from David Luiz and Witsel I don't recall other big transfers.

You are kidding right?!

Just as a little reminder:

1. David Luiz, 25 millions to Chelsea
  2. Ramires, 22 millions to Chelsea
  3. Di Maria, 25 millions to Real Madrid
  4. Fábio Coentrão, 30 millions to Real Madrid
  5. Witsel, 40 millions to Zenit
  6. Javi Garcia, 20 millions to Manchester City

Most of this transfers included players in exchange, like Matic and Garay that know worth as much as the others...

So as you can see is the last 3 years we are talking about over 160 million euros of "true" profit!! That's a lot for a Portuguese club (just for you to know check how much did Porto really received for the Hulk transfer considering that they didn't had even half of the player rights...).

Know regarding the article it is really amazing Dec, but just for people to know Porto is involved in a lot a problems with justice in Portugal regarding paying referees to benefit Porto. It was proved in court that they guilty as charges and they even lost points in previous championships. They still remain in the portuguese premier league because they found a "technicality" in the law that discarded the recordings made by the police that proved that the arrangement of results was even bigger!

But OK, that does not mean that they don't have value with their club politics, but never the less, they should be in second division or even lower :)

Ramires didn't belong to Benfica so they didn't get 22M€, but like I said, those were the ones I recalled.

Porto didn't own half the rights for Hulk when they bought him but they bought the rest afterwards.

As for the corruption, they were absolved in court so... If you want to talk about recordings, there were also recordings of the Benfica president hand picking referees. And yes, they had six points deducted...because apparently they had bribed a referee in a match against the "mighty" Estrela da Amadora where we drew 1-1. Amazing bribe, don't you think?

There's one major problem in Portugal. Benfica, the club of the old regime, where used to win it all. They even hijacked Eusebio, who was going to sign for Sporting... Now that their supremacy is over, every single success we have they say its due to corruption. Our performances in Europe are more than enough proof of our merit.

And if you want to talk about a club deserving to be relegated, go check the fiscal pardon that was miraculously granted to Benfica keeping them in the Premier, while others weren't that lucky and were relegated.

But enough about this since this topic concerns transfers. Any more on this subject I'll be glad to answer through PM.

I know that this may sound odd but here it goes...

I went to Lisbon a few weeks ago and I was in the taxi on the way to the hotel. We were passing the Benfica and Sporting Lisbon stadium and I was looking at them with my Dad. Then the taxi driver said to me you like football? I said yes and then I told him my favourite team and the best team in Portugal. He looked at me and said that Porto is the most corrupt not in money sense but that they are up to something that most Europeans don't know about.

Anyone know what he was on about?

If you go to Porto you'll hear the same but the other way around. This is what happens with big rivalries. Like Barcelona vs Real Madrid, it's the same.

Having watched a documentary on Eusebio he was told he had to have a trial at Sporting and he said he wouldn't as he is better than their best player and shouldn't have to. This statement comes from a friend of Eusebio (who convinced them to give him a trial) and ex sporting player. So they didn't hijack the deal as Eusebio turned down the chance to have a trial.