Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FuddledFox

FMM19: Player Attributes and What They Do

Title.png.acadf397f73b1c64f20c6bbbf185ebf8.png

FMM19: Player attributes and what they do

This guide is intended for anyone just starting out with the game or anyone who struggles to get there head around some of the players attributes in the game and what type of player should have which attribute.

The perfect footballer would have 20 in nearly every attribute in the game but of course just as in real life no one is perfect and these attributes determine which players are good in which position and role, for example Lionel Messi may be arguably the best footballer in the world but he certainly doesn’t have the attributes to play as a centre back.

If you want to know which attributes are needed for which roles this guide from @PriZe contains this information.

I will put next to each attribute whether I think an attribute is suitable for

·        Defensive: Players in defensive roles would benefit from this attribute.

·        Attacking: Players in attacking roles would benefit from this attribute.

·        General: Any player on the pitch would benefit from this attribute.

The attributes are split into three columns with the left hand column being technical attributes, the middle column is his mental attributes and the right hand is his physical attributes.

13995536_Photo03-11-2018183819.thumb.png.3ec2d33fc5182161884b1e074648e706.png

It’s important to note that in lower or weaker leagues what would be considered a good rating in an attribute may be lower then in a top division.

Technical attributes: These are broken down into categories based on the various skills a footballer may need

• Aerial (General): How good he is at heading the ball. This is a must for central defenders and strikers also benefit from high aerial attribute but it can benefit all positions.
  • Crossing (Attacking): How well he can cross a football and generally players with a high rating here are good at corners as well. Wingers and wing backs need a good crossing attribute.
  • Dribbling (Attacking): How good he is with the ball at his feet and how easily he can dribble the ball past a defender.
  • Passing (General): How well he can pass a football to a teammate. This is linked to creativity so a high rating here coupled with a high creativity rating will produce a player who can create openings for your other attacking players.
  • Shooting (Attacking): How good he is shooting at goal.
  • Tackling (Defending): How good he is at winning the ball back from an opposition player.
  • Technique (General): This is about how good he is on the ball so a higher technique means he is more skilful with the football. This attribute underpins attributes like passing, crossing, dribbling and shooting and the higher a players technique the more successful those skills will be especially under pressure from the opposition.

Mental: These attributes reflect how much football intelligence a player has and many of these attributes are desirable in any player whereas a few are more specific to certain positions.

• Aggression (General): This governs how aggressive a player is and is perhaps the one attribute you don’t want maxed out to 20 as that could lead to more bookings and sending’s off for a player, I have found 15 to be a good balance. This attribute is especially good in defenders as a more aggressive player is likely to get stuck in and win the ball back whereas a less aggressive player may just sit back and let the player on the ball do what he wants. If you want to play a high pressing game then this attribute is helpful in all players within the team as they will be more likely to press the opposition aggressively.
  • Creativity (Attacking): This is linked to passing and crossing. A high rating here will mean your player is more likely to see a killer pass but how well he plays that pass is based on his passing or crossing.
  • Decisions (General): Does the player do the right thing at the right time.
  • Leadership (General): A high rating here will mean that player will help organise on the pitch and is vital for your teams captain but also good in other players especially in defence.
  • Movement (Attacking): Players in attacking roles need this as it helps them get away from there marker to find space on the pitch.
  • Positioning (Defensive): You want this in players who play in defensive roles as it means they will be in good positions on the pitch to make interceptions or tackles.
  • Teamwork (General): This is how hard your player works for the team and whether he interacts well with his team mates on the pitch. A low rating may indicate a selfish or lazy player. If you plan to play an offside trap high teamwork can mean it will be more effective as they will work as a team to try and catch the opposition offside.

Physicals: Football is a physical game so in general you want all your players to have good ratings here but in some roles they are more crucial than others especially pace.

• Pace (General): How fast the player is at running. The more quick players in the team the better but some positions such as defensive midfielders and centre backs are less reliant on this attribute and positioning can be used to make up for a slower player in these roles.
  • Stamina (General): How long it takes for the player to get tired in a match and how long it takes him to recover after. High energy roles like box to box midfielder and wing back need this as a must but really you want all your players to have decent stamina.
  • Strength (General): How strong he is. Some roles like centre back and target man must have good strength but like the above attributes its helpful if most of your team have at least reasonable strength.

Goalkeepers

1907415803_Photo03-11-2018183740.thumb.png.8e05dfc7772f177a3a07928ae32706db.png

As you can see from the screenshot above Goalkeepers have some attributes that are different from outfield players and I will list them here. I would suggest that of the attributes that outfield players also have decisions is very important for goalies as is positioning and teamwork.

If you plan to play a sweeper keeper you will also want pace so he is quick off his line and also creativity and kicking so he can start attacks by seeing and executing incisive passes.

·        Aerial: Obviously goalkeepers don’t usually head the ball so this shows how well a ‘keeper can jump to catch high balls especially from corners and crosses. Whether he will catch the ball or not is determined by his handling attribute.

·        Agility: Goalkeepers need to do a lot of jumping around and a high attribute here will mean he can stretch further for saves and he will be quicker to get back up once he has made a save.

·        Communication: Goalkeepers need to organise the defenders in front of them and this as well as leadership will determine how well he does this.

·        Handling: The higher this the more likely a ‘keeper will catch the ball but also how well he will catch it. A Goalie with a low rating is more likely to drop the ball or fumble it which may give strikers a chance to pounce and score.

·        Kicking: How far and how accurate a goalkeeper can kick the football from both his hands and goal kicks.

·        Reflexes: Much of goalkeeping is instinct and quick reactions when a shot is fired in, high reflexes will mean your ‘keeper is a better shot stopper.

·        Throwing: Similar to kicking but its how far and accurate he is at throwing the ball out to start attacks.

I hope you have found this guide useful to help understand how these attributes reflect what a player may or may not do on the pitch. FMM really is a puzzle and it is important to fit the right pieces in the right places and once you can master that the world really is your oyster.

Cheers lads.

In your opinion would you stick with the games Primary attributes or @PriZe Primary and Secondary? To me the game needs tweaking as I've mentioned in another post. One role (can't remember which one) mentions Shooting twice. 

7 hours ago, sharaziuk said:

In your opinion would you stick with the games Primary attributes or @PriZe Primary and Secondary? To me the game needs tweaking as I've mentioned in another post. One role (can't remember which one) mentions Shooting twice. 

I would stick with the attributes listed in the A-Z as like you I’m not convinced the highlights in the game are quite right at the moment.

15 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Excellent stuff. I’m sure this will help a lot of the newer members along with some of the old! 

7 hours ago, Ashez said:

Nice work Foxy, it might not be a guide for everyone but those it does help it should really help. 

Cheers guys.

I think it can be easy to forget when you have been playing the game for years that new people are just starting out all the time and hopefully this will help them.

Thanks Mate! I like to sign a whole team of wonder kids and have them ready when a current team is aging and one of the guys had OKAY stats but 20 technique but after understanding what technique was he just scored the winner against Chelsea in the League and in the match before the lad scored the winner vs Juve in the UCL semi final! Amazing!

9 minutes ago, Gunners Rishi said:

Thanks Mate! I like to sign a whole team of wonder kids and have them ready when a current team is aging and one of the guys had OKAY stats but 20 technique but after understanding what technique was he just scored the winner against Chelsea in the League and in the match before the lad scored the winner vs Juve in the UCL semi final! Amazing!

That’s really cool.

I think technique is an underrated attribute but it underpins things like crossing, shooting and passing so it is something that is worth keeping an eye on.

21 minutes ago, Foxy said:

That’s really cool.

I think technique is an underrated attribute but it underpins things like crossing, shooting and passing so it is something that is worth keeping an eye on.

They can be a god but if they don't have the technique to use their other stats what's the point.