Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Career Mr.Manager Tries the Best League In The World Challenge

2 hours ago, Taff said:

Wow dude Wales now a top 10 league in the world, your working your magic 

Thanks mate! Cracking the top 10 was a proper milestone so glad to have got that done. Now I've just got to stay there and reel those other leagues in!

15 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Was wondering where this went! Glad to see it back, and you are cracking this pal. I think Top 5 in the next 5 years.

Ha, yeah, things have been a bit hectic recently and i've just struggled to put the time in. I'm back for now though, so let's get this thing done! 

Recap

I've now taken two Welsh clubs to European silverware, and the league is ranked higher than ever.

That said, by the time I joined my third club we were already in season 20, and time is fast running out if we want to achieve our ultimate goal of being ranked the best league in the world.

The Llandudno years (seasons 20 - 21)

Next up, Llandudno MBi. I've been here before - my first ever post on Vibe was my efforts to get Llandudno European champions. I'd need to pull something similar out of the bag if we were to keep improving the league's ranking.

IMG_1913.thumb.PNG.ff01940f68826f9916739d389bd07c96.PNG

A decent showing in my first year at Llandudno, as we reached the second knockout round of the EURO Cup before Inter just about beat us.

IMG_1981.thumb.PNG.f8de06557ba756f08d48f064dc37e8b1.PNG

A slightly overwhelming second season, as Manchester City ousted us in the Champions Cup playoffs (they came back from a 5-1 first leg defeat!), and we were again beaten in the second round of the EURO Cup, this time by Fiorentina.

Europe - Other Welsh clubs

Bala and Connah's Quay were again the main sources of pride for Welsh clubs over the two seasons, with both reaching the knockout rounds of the Champions Cup, and Connah's Quay also dong so in the EURO Cup. Prestatyn also made the knockout rounds of the EURO Cup, and it's great to see teams that I've not had control of doing well.

Rankings

At the beginning of season 20 we were ranked 8th best league, just behind Scotland

IMG_1935.thumb.PNG.c21886608733f988e91cc11f301902c2.PNG

Two years later, we had leapfrogged Scotland into 7th, and the big six leagues were in our sights…

Summary

So a short stay in Llandudno, and no tangible success to show for it.

So, why did I leave sunny Llandudno? Well, we might not have won any European silverware this time around, but it was the finest margins that were thwarting us. I'd also built a squad that I was quite proud of and I felt confident that they could continue without me. Finally, we are tight for time and i really need to get cracking if we're to get that number 1 spot.

Thanks for reading guys!

I've just caught up with this.

All I can say is... WOW.

Such an epic career, reminds me of the glory days of Vibe when we had these kinds of epic saves.

6 Welsh teams in Europe if you jump up another place which would be superb.

1 hour ago, anfieldsquirrel said:

I've just caught up with this.

All I can say is... WOW.

Such an epic career, reminds me of the glory days of Vibe when we had these kinds of epic saves.

6 Welsh teams in Europe if you jump up another place which would be superb.

Thanks man, that's a huge compliment! 

Yeah, 6 teams out of a league of 12... 

6 hours ago, Mr.Manager said:

Thanks man, that's a huge compliment! 

Yeah, 6 teams out of a league of 12... 

Credit where it's due buddy - takes a lot for me to catch back up on a career I've missed a lot of... but wow I read every update like a hawk.

I was thinking of trying something similar in Scotland (where I stay) with Aberdeen etc. I will wait til FMM18 and perhaps pinch this idea...

16 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Unlucky in Europe, but moving is the best choice it seems. 

Thanks mate. If there was more time I'd stay at the clubs a little longer, but the clock is ticking!

added 0 minutes later
16 hours ago, Taff said:

Dude, you have made every Welshman very proud with what you have achieved "Diolch yn Fawr" KIU

Haha, wow, some genuine Welsh! Thank you very much.

9 hours ago, anfieldsquirrel said:

Credit where it's due buddy - takes a lot for me to catch back up on a career I've missed a lot of... but wow I read every update like a hawk.

I was thinking of trying something similar in Scotland (where I stay) with Aberdeen etc. I will wait til FMM18 and perhaps pinch this idea...

Scotland would be perfect for this challenge. 

Recap

We might not have taken Europe by storm with Llandudno, but we had performed well enough and thankfully the other Welsh clubs were beginning to pick up the slack.

Where next for this well-travelled manager?

The Carmarthen years (seasons 22 - 23)

So we've hotfooted it across Wales and we've landed in Carmarthen. They've done quite well in previous seasons without me, so I have high hopes that we can go far together.

IMG_1993.thumb.PNG.aed7d4649e8a0ccff89587a463cf2305.PNG

A reasonable first season - we topped a group including Juventus and Sevilla, but we were just beaten by a late second leg goal from Barcelona in the first knockout round. I'd have liked to have gone further but it's difficult when you're thrown up against the best.

IMG_1994.thumb.PNG.5d87f7cfa7af25e53d0fd1d3df7358bf.PNG

That's more like it! We won the Champions Cup in style, scoring a record number of goals, including 10 past Liverpool in the semis.

Bala remain the most encouraging as they continue to battle through the group stages and make the knockout rounds. My old clubs Connah's Quay and Llandudno were the big disappointments, as both missed out on European competition in one season and they failed to make it out of their groups in the other.

Rankings

We may be crawling up the rankings at a snail’s pace, but progress is being made at least. We started my tenure in Carmarthern as the 7th best league

IMG_1963.thumb.PNG.e378141c312826a93d435a6f07e9882c.PNG

A big victory in the Champions Cup and we're now a top six league! Only the English, Spanish, Italian, German and French leagues stand ahead of us. Can we break in to that illustrious top 5?

Summary

Again, only a two season stint with Carmarthen, but a hugely successful one.

This Carmarthen squad might be the most complete I've built and so I'm really hoping that they can be first club not controlled by me to reach at least the quarter finals.

As for me, I've decided to change clubs one last time. I won't be moving any more. The rankings are based on the last four seasons, and as I edge nearer to the 30 season mark, I think I need to be in the best position to win four big trophies in a row…

Thanks for reading guys!

Dude, whatever happens you have done simply amazing work and should be proud as hell to have achieved what you have, but finishing in the top 5 would be a dream

38 minutes ago, Taff said:

top 5 would be a dream

Thanks mate! If i'm honest, i think you're right. It's not over yet, but i think top 5 might be more realistic than the number 1 spot...

5 minutes ago, Mr.Manager said:

Thanks mate! If i'm honest, i think you're right. It's not over yet, but i think top 5 might be more realistic than the number 1 spot...

Top 5 would be amazing, and no one could take anything away from you for not getting one of the shitiest leagues in the world into the top 5 best in the world

6 minutes ago, tsadefalu said:

I'm so inspired by your save. I think I'll start with a club in Wales too

Great stuff! Be prepared for a long slog though, those first few seasons with very very bad players are hard work!

Quite incredible how you've managed to lift the Welsh league. The patience, the determination, the belief! Great stuff!

Surely 6th is the best you can do, no? :)

17 hours ago, mcandrew003 said:

Woah. I struggle to win the CL with a big team, let alone Carmarthen! As Taff said, a huge achievement to add to your growing list this year.

Thanks man! Yeah, but if you spent 20+ years in the same country you'd manage it too :D

16 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

Quite incredible how you've managed to lift the Welsh league. The patience, the determination, the belief! Great stuff!

Surely 6th is the best you can do, no? :)

It's all about the patience my young padawan.

Ha trying a bit of reverse psychology eh? I'll show you!!

Recap

A bit of a gamble with my next move as I left reigning European champions Carmarthen Town for little Haverfordwest. My new club weren't even competing in Europe in my first season, so I'd have to rely on the AI controlled teams to keep up our good form. 

I had said that this would be my last move, but in the end, I changed my mind…

The Haverfordwest year (season 24)

Only one full season with Haverfordwest, and with no European competition to contest, it was all about domestic success and squad building.

IMG_2001.thumb.PNG.ede3641c21490f712b7bad16020129a4.PNG

We won the league and booked our place in next seasons European cup. Job's a good 'un.

We were relying completely on the other Welsh clubs to keep us ticking over, and they didn't do too badly. Carmarthen and Prestatyn both reach the knock out rounds, whilst Bala and Llandudno were both unfortunate in the group stages. Connah's Quay failed in the EURO cup play offs, but even that meant that they'd won through a qualifying round or two.

Rankings

No move in the rankings for us this time, but that in itself was an achievement as the worry was that we'd fall.

IMG_1970.thumb.PNG.c083cd93aa8e0f1c3f35c07060799dd7.PNG

6th place ranking means we'll have six teams in Europe from next season. There's only 12 clubs in the Welsh league so exactly half of them get to taste continental competition.

Summary

A so-so season of squad building with Haverfordwest and I've decided to switch cubs again.

The hope is that the Haverfordwest team will be strong enough to hold their own without me, but at the end of the day I just didn't feel like the club had the potential to be regular winners of the Champions League, which is what I need.

Realistically, this next move has to be my last. Where do you think I'll go guys?

2 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

:D Can't wait for the next update now, it's gonna be a tense finish! 

I've not quite finished it yet (just started the second to last season), so the next update will be next week sometime. You're tense, I'm desperate for this to end successfully!

2 hours ago, Mr.Manager said:

I've not quite finished it yet (just started the second to last season), so the next update will be next week sometime. You're tense, I'm desperate for this to end successfully!

Dude as far as I'm concerned you could end this right now and it would be a huge success anything in the top 10 is huge but I'm sure you've still got some magic to share with us