Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

G'day - I'm Scratch...

Scratch

My turn!

I've spilt most of my secrets in the comments on other's intros.

Yes, I sang for the Queen once, when I was in primary school (we stood above her in a balcony singing quite badly while she faced away from us looking at the audience). Yes, I met Craig McLachlan in a gym in the Oxfordshire countryside. And yes ... I'm old!

Let's get this out of the way. We've had some people in their mid-30s give intros. Well I have 10 years on them. Yep, mid-40s... I have three kids who are all in primary school and a great wife. I'm from Australia and live in Brisbane, but I've also lived in the UK for four years (near Oxford), as well as the US and China.

I work for an online marketplace that sells things you use to build websites (themes, plugins, images, etc). I mostly do project work and deal with problems with the items we sell. I work from home, although you can often find me in a cafe or down at the library. Before that I used to run government websites.

As for football, I'm a Newcastle United supporter. When I was a kid, I lived in the Australian city of Newcastle and the local team was Newcastle KB United. I didn't follow football much and didn't know any of the players, but they were my local team and I was fond of them. When it came time to choose an EPL club in the early-90s, Newcastle United was the obvious choice! I'm also Oxford United supporter, and used to go to a few games when I lived there. I keep an eye on where they are, but don't follow them weekly anymore.

I first got into FM style games back in the late 90s. The Soccer Game by Wizard Games was my first love, but I tried all the football management games and soon settled on CM2 as my favourite and then stuck to the series all the way through. I remember signing Alan Shearer for Oxford in CM97/98 and taking them to glory, then putting together a dream team for Newcastle in CM00/01 (Shearer, Mark Viduka and Michael Owen well before they both joined in real life, and Robbie Keane too). So many glory days!

I ran out of time to play in the mid 2000s, but by then FM had become a bit too bloated for me anyway. I had a break for a while, then when FMH came out on Android I jumped straight back in and have been playing it ever since.

I've been coming to Vibe for years but haven't been active in the community until this year. It's been a real awakening to join in and it's rekindled my enthusiasm for the game which had been lagging somewhat.

Before that, I'd pick a Championship side, take them to win everything and then get bored and pack it in after a month or so. This year, I have played non stop all the way through... Thank you Vibe! I won't thank people individually (too many!!), but I appreciate you all! Vibe rocks!

I'm so happy you decided to get involved as your unique take really refreshed the career forums this year. Out of interest what made you take the leap and finally get involved? Also any origin story for the username? 

Damnnn you old mate HAHAHHA jkjk nice to know you! I had a great time reading all your careers and am already looking forward to what you will be doing next year! So any plans for next year? Any particular challenge you wanna take down?

1 hour ago, FuddledFox said:

G'day mate.

Great to know more about you. Sounds like you travelled around a bit in true Aussie style. What was your favourite place to live.

Yeah, I've lived on 4 continents, so I guess you can say I've traveled a bit. :D

Australia will always be home to me and it's where I want to raise my kids, but really I'd rather live elsewhere all things considered. I loved living in the UK (the pubs! the football! all the green! and castles!) and China (so different, always something new, great food). Wouldn't choose to live in the US again - I enjoyed it, but .. Australian and British humour is quite similar, and we can laugh at ourselves a fair bit, but in the US they take themselves a bit more seriously. No offence to any US readers! 

added 0 minutes later
55 minutes ago, Taff said:

Very nice to meet you Scratch you have been the king of the nail bitters this year with Armstrong and other great carrers

Thanks mate, likewise. I aim to change that nail biters reputation though, going to be smooth sailing from here on in!! ;)

35 minutes ago, Ashez said:

I'm so happy you decided to get involved as your unique take really refreshed the career forums this year. Out of interest what made you take the leap and finally get involved? Also any origin story for the username? 

Thanks mate, appreciate it a lot! Not 100% sure why I decided to get involved. It probably came at a time where I decided I need to stop working as much as I was (it's hard to stop sometimes when you work at home for a 24 hour online business), but really I just came to Vibe for some reason and stayed.

I can't even remember what I came for - it was too soon for any downloads, I was sorted for tactics... I guess it was probably just to see people opinions on it and what the bugs were. Then I read a career or or two, then I saw @BatiGoal 's Villalibre 1KC. I hadn't heard of the 1KC before that (amazingly), and it was a bit of a WTF moment. I was thinking how can that even be possible!

So then I had to try it. And it didn't make sense to try it without writing about it... And that was it! :D

38 minutes ago, salohcin said:

Damnnn you old mate HAHAHHA jkjk nice to know you! I had a great time reading all your careers and am already looking forward to what you will be doing next year! So any plans for next year? Any particular challenge you wanna take down?

Haha all you youngsters! I'm happy enough with my age - I got to see Nirvana in concert for eg (bet you're all going "Nirv-who?") :laugh:

Thanks mate, haven't thought about next year too much. Got another 13 seasons of 2017 left! :O

When I get to it, I'll probably be doing the 1KC again. To be honest, most of the other challenges don't appeal as much, I'm a real sucker for the 1KC. That said, I'm definitely going to try the Newcastle United: The Entertainers Challenge - that looks great and as a Newcastle fan, I can't walk past it! 

What are you planning to do?

Edited by scratch99
13 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

I got to see Nirvana in concert for eg (bet you're all going "Nirv-who?")

Hmmm i legit do not know who they are (maybe my dad does cos he probably around the same age as you) but i do love the backstreet boyzzz, just missed their performance in SG though

13 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

What are you planning to do?

Im thinking of doing the real madrid galaticos challenge, the 1KC that i havent got a chance to do and maybe try the SAF challenge again! The SAF challenge was going so well until my stupid fingers pressed the overwrite button so i gotta give it another go!

Haha, 1-1 in the FC Nirvana vs Young Boys clash! :P

16 minutes ago, salohcin said:

Im thinking of doing the real madrid galaticos challenge, the 1KC that i havent got a chance to do and maybe try the SAF challenge again! The SAF challenge was going so well until my stupid fingers pressed the overwrite button so i gotta give it another go!

Cool, looking forward to all of those. Super sucks with the overwriting thing. Need to give it some time before trying again and I reckon 2018 is great time to do it again!

1 minute ago, Paul186 said:

Good to read and nice to know I'm not the only over 40 on here, I was getting worried I was the only one. :)

Phew, I thought I was the only one as well! Thanks for letting me know! :D

1 hour ago, Ashez said:

Also any origin story for the username? 

Just realised I missed this question! No worthwhile story - I use my real name everywhere on the Internet, but everyone here uses a handle, so when I signed up I had to think of one really quickly... I suck at that. So I used the name of my old website. And I only chose the name for that because I couldn't think of a better one... So really, I just suck at naming! 

3 hours ago, scratch99 said:

Haha all you youngsters! I'm happy enough with my age - I got to see Nirvana in concert for eg (bet you're all going "Nirv-who?") :laugh:

No way!!! Where/when did you get to see them???

It must have been something special since they rose to fame so quickly and it all ended so fast.

21 hours ago, FuddledFox said:

So what was scratch99.com?

Well, it's still there, I just haven't spent any time on it for years... Basically a web development / WordPress development blog that is now way out of date...

20 hours ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

No way!!! Where/when did you get to see them???

It must have been something special since they rose to fame so quickly and it all ended so fast.

Saw them at The Palace in Melbourne in 1992. It was just a few weeks after they became huge in the US and went number 1, etc, so to be honest, I didn't really know them at the time. I'd heard of them, but didn't know many of their songs or anything like that. My mate arranged the tickets. The gig was intense, so much energy, I was an instant fan... ?

43 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Saw them at The Palace in Melbourne in 1992. It was just a few weeks after they became huge in the US and went number 1, etc, so to be honest, I didn't really know them at the time. I'd heard of them, but didn't know many of their songs or anything like that. My mate arranged the tickets. The gig was intense, so much energy, I was an instant fan... ?

That's pretty sick tbh. Do you remember what they played/Did any of the songs particularly resonate with you?

15 minutes ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

That's pretty sick tbh. Do you remember what they played/Did any of the songs particularly resonate with you?

Nah, I didn't know any of the songs going in (maybe one or two but not really well), so didn't have any of those "Wow they are playing xxx" moments. I was just struck by the raw intensity of it all. I've looked up the set list though and they played plenty of songs that I know *now*.

That's pretty cool, only concerts I've been to are Tom Jones and Jessie J and some football stadium in Colwyn Bay IIRC lmao. Won free tickets through a raffle at a bank, wasn't a bad weekend away with the missus. Biggest regret would be not seeing Oasis but when they were around I was too young and all that :(

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

but when they were around I was too young and all that :(

Ashez trying real hard here to make himself sound younger than he is. Psssshh old man :P

2 hours ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

That's pretty cool, only concerts I've been to are Tom Jones and Jessie J

Woah jessie j thoooughhhh i would give up fmm for 1 yr just to get to her concert HAHAHAHA 

Ok, after serious consideration maybe not. I love fmm too much

22 hours ago, Ashez said:

That's pretty cool, only concerts I've been to are Tom Jones and Jessie J and some football stadium in Colwyn Bay IIRC lmao. Won free tickets through a raffle at a bank, wasn't a bad weekend away with the missus. Biggest regret would be not seeing Oasis but when they were around I was too young and all that :(

Jessie Who? (Just kidding :P )

Oasis would have been *AWESOME*. Wish I'd seen them. Saw a bunch of live music, but Nirvana, INXS and U2 (when they were still cool) were probably the picks. And Midnight Oil, but I guess only (old) Aussies know them... Anyway, highly recommend you go to some more! ?

added 0 minutes later
22 hours ago, MerlionMaple96 said:

Ashez trying real hard here to make himself sound younger than he is. Psssshh old man :P

Hehe, you're both such youngsters! :P

Just now, scratch99 said:

Hehe, you're both such youngsters! :P

Wait, that make me the old codger... :(

added 0 minutes later
Just now, scratch99 said:

Wait, that make me the old codger... :(

Look at me, talking to myself now... It's all downhill once you hit 40 lads! 

14 hours ago, PriZe said:

Hiya Scratch :) nice write up and great you became active on the site!

So true Aussie... you surf? :)

Hey mate, Thanks! 

But pass on the surfing thanks! I lived in a surf town when I was younger and just started to get into it when we moved right away from the water, and that was that... :unamused:

51 minutes ago, scratch99 said:

Oasis would have been *AWESOME*. Wish I'd seen them. Saw a bunch of live music, but Nirvana, INXS and U2 (when they were still cool) were probably the picks. And Midnight Oil, but I guess only (old) Aussies know them... Anyway, highly recommend you go to some more! ?

Midnight Oil were big in the UK as wel,l I liked them in there day, I've also seen INXS top band.

4 minutes ago, Paul186 said:

Midnight Oil were big in the UK as wel,l I liked them in there day, I've also seen INXS top band.

Oh I didn't know that, cool! I really liked them for a few years there. Saw them in concert 3 times. First time was a small venue and they were just as intense as Nirvana, next time outdoors, then in stadium, both good, but nowhere near as intense. And INXS was pretty special. Think I've gotta go listen to some music now! :D

1 hour ago, scratch99 said:

Oasis would have been *AWESOME*. Wish I'd seen them. Saw a bunch of live music, but Nirvana, INXS and U2

When/where did you see U2? Another really good band as well. Was it during their height? (Post Joshua Tree)