Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges Uruguay's Next Hope

Uruguay's Next Hope

Welcome to the Uruguay's Next Hope challenge. I hope you enjoy the somewhat historic lesson below, followed by the challenge. 

Juan Alberto Schiaffino

IMG_2282.JPG.15ad6f7e5c4a64d05dc1888ef9188ec0.JPG

Schiafinno with legendary Milan and Italy player Gianni Rivera. 

Juan Alberto "Pepe" Schiaffino Villano was an Uruguayan player who played as a attacking midfielder or striker in his playing days. A highly skilful and creative playmaker, at club level, he played for Peñarol in Uruguay, and for AC Milan and Roma in Italy. At international level, he won the 1950 World Cup with the Uruguayan National Football Team. 

Schiaffino was voted globally as the best Uruguayan player to ever live, ahead of such legends as Hector Scallone and recent superstars such as Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez. Schiaffino is also considered to be amongst the top 20 players in football history after his exploits in his homeland and in Italy. 

An 8 year stint in his home nation of Uruguay with Peñarol, in which he won 4 Uruguayan titles, came prior to a world record £52 Million Lire move to AC Milan in September 1954, where he graced the San Siro in his 171 Milan outings and assisted in the Rossoneiri's three league triumphs in 6 years. He scored a massive 60 goals for the Black and Red of Milan from Central Midfield, in a team dominated by such foreign stars as Gunnar Norhaldt, who has a challenge for himself on Vibe, and Niels Liedholm. After a successful stint in Milan and with his career winding down, Schiaffino moved to Roma for two season where he achieved two successive 5th placed finishes before retirement. 

However, Schiaffino was also renowned for his International Prowess, scoring in the 1950 World Cup Final, in which they overcame Brazil. The Uruguayan went on to play in one more competiton, the 1954 World Cup, where Uruguay achieved a 4th place finish. 

Your Job: Replicate Schiaffino's Achievements With Uruguay's Next Hope - Rodrigo Bentacur

Rodrigo BentacurIMG_2283.thumb.JPG.542f56037b8e3e2851cf163833f66f1e.JPG

At just 20 years of age, Bentacur has had some career. Having become one of the youngest players to play for Boca at just 18, The Old Lady of Juventus snapped the Uruguayan up for just £10 Million, making him a Juve player. Bentacur has already played 4 times for Uruguay and over 50 for Juventus and Boca Juniors respectively, now its time to take his career to the next level.

Challenge Rules

- You have 8 seasons to replicate Juan Alberto Schiaffino's achievements with Rodrigo Bentacur:

- 137 Club Goals

- 4 Serie A Titles

- 2 Italian Cups

- Have Bentacur make it into The World Team Of The Year on 2 occasions

- Must win South American player of the year twice

Bonus: Take charge of Uruguay and win a World Cup with Bentacur scoring in the competition

I hope you enjoyed the challenge, let me know any suggestions or improvements you have and thanks for reading!

7 minutes ago, danovic78 said:

Nice little challenge and love the history, being a football historian myself.

Shall add it onto the index shortly.

Thanks! A lot of your historical challenges are really interesting so I thought I'd give one a go myself, hope it was ok. 

Sounds good, thanks for that.

4 minutes ago, mcandrew003 said:

Thanks! A lot of your historical challenges are really interesting so I thought I'd give one a go myself, hope it was ok. 

Sounds good, thanks for that.

Of course, the more the merrier. Love a bit of background info to the challenges. All added on.

On 3/2/2018 at 13:12, danovic78 said:

Nice little challenge and love the history, being a football historian myself.

Shall add it onto the index shortly.

Are you a professional football historian, or is it just a hobby? 

4 hours ago, rafa said:

Are you a professional football historian, or is it just a hobby? 

I wish I was, sadly just an office monkey with active interest in all things historical!