Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2014 The Silly Season: Kera does RCD Espanyol Destroying FC Barcelona???

Keraviln

The Silly Season (Jan 2015)

Mid-Season Update (Jan 2015)

Link to the End of Season 1 Update

RCD Espanyol Destroying FC Barcelona???

2qcp4ax.jpg

That's right, returning to FMHVibe is Ashez's old FMH13 challenge, Destroying Your RIval (http://fmhvibe.co.uk/community/topic/18394-destroying-your-rival/). I've been told that it has been posted in the FMH14 forums but I can't find it...

A brief overview of the challenge

The link provided gives a nice outline of it, however it doesn't give an actual aim, so here are mine.

Win the Champions League three times.

Win La Liga five times.

Win the Copa Del Rey five times.

Win any of the UEFA Super Cup, Supercopa and Club World Championship five times.

Time Limit: 10 Seasons (I'll try to finish it in 7 seasons though!) (If I last that long)

I have been told by Ashez that "B" teams are fair game and I'm going to use that fully to my advantage (for er.... fund raising... yes, fund raising, not trashing an entire team, I'd never do that! :P)

Personal Opinion and Strategies

I chose this challenge and rivalry because it is challenging in its own way. Signing from a rival is always difficult, but if I was to play as Barcelona and sign from Real Madrid it'd be relatively easy as I could just make one big signing a season. Whilst there are many combinations that can end up with you having to sign from leagues below you, I couldn't think of one off the top of my head that has you snatching players from a club above you from the start, which means that the first few seasons will be crucial. Once I get up to title winning level the funds provided should ensure I can get one or two world class players a season.

Strategically, signings will initially be targeted at younger Barca players like Roberto, Bartra, Dongou, Grimaldo and Tello. Some of the older ones such as Roberto, Bartra and Tello will be quite expensive to sign, not to mention the fact that there will probably be steep wage demands.

And finally...

Thanks for reading guys! I hope you're just as excited as I am for this new (old) challenge! I'll probably do updates on the 1st of September, 1st of Jan, 1st of March and an end of season update. Each update may or may not be split depending on how much interesting stuff occurs and whether or not you guys want stats.

September 2013 Update

2qcp4ax.jpg

Transfers

Ok, so Peely reckons I went ahead and filled my team with old players... quite the opposite actually… With the permission of Ashez (the challenge creator), I simply bombed the "B" team after selected a few of the younger guys I wanted to keep. I only managed to offload a portion of them all but it turned out well as I got a 10M paycheck which I swiftly used to secure 5 players.

2j1swtj.png

de7hqx.png

fwm64i.png

As you can see, Denis Suarez, Sergi Gomez and Adrian Ortola will be joining Espanyol next year whilst Jean Marie Dongou and Javi Espinosa have joined this season. And yes, I sold that many players :P.

Jean Marie Dongou

2le2e7s.png

Of the two new signings, Dongou is the most promising, he usually doesn't suffer injuries needlessly (eg. Sandro). in FMH14 his potential can be questionable at times however, this Espanyol side is lacking quality when compared to Barcelona and when signings don't come cheap this is the best I could do.

Javi Espinosa

dqja0x.png

Espinosa was signed because there was a huge issue... I had one servicable playmaker at the start and I was going for a 3-man midfield Espinosa was brought in. He has strong passing, dribbling and creativity with good decisionmaking, he does remind me somewhat of Xavi but I'm not expecting a world beater, he will probably become a bit-part player when I do eventually make a run for titles.

Arsenal and Man City both made bids for Moreno, which I rejected, causing him to have a bit of a tantrum and refuse to sign a new contract. I’m going to look to offload him in January or perhaps next season. I’ve got my eyes on Bartra and Montoya who both have contracts expiring in 2014. If they don’t renew I’m going to slurp them up on Bosmans and if not I’ll try and sell of Moreno to fund the purchase of one of those two.

Tactics

f2rcwg.png

13yle9u.png

Right now I’m sticking with a Barca-like 4-1-2-2-1 tactic, although I’m tempted to try out a 4-2-3-1 with a secondary striker (Sergio Garcia, Pizzi or maybe even Thievy?) or a 4-4-2 with a partnership of a Poacher (Dongou and Thievy) and an Advanced Forward or Target Man (maybe even a Deep-Lying Forward?).

Either way, as the first league result showed, my current tactic isn’t going to cut it with my squad and there’s going to be some unhappy strikers if I don’t play them all (I think I have 5 or 6 in total atm)

Results so far

2uho6mq.png

There isn’t too much to show for result-wise as only 4 fixtures have been played with one given to my assistant to handle (the first friendly). I was satisfied with our 1-0 win over Genk though as it was a tightly fought out contest.

Despite an early 1-0 loss to Enrique’s Celta, progress is looking up as the loss was against the run of play with Casilla slipping up and Adan doing some Matrix-style saves.

Other Stuff

I am playing this relatively close to when I post it (probably half a season or so in front at most) so if you have any suggestions feel free to let me know! I’m also going to be making backups every 3 months or so if you want one of them feel free to let me know.

Hope you guys enjoyed the September update, it was a bit dry and a bit boring from me but I guess that's the first season... I've got the next update lined up but for now...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

mkhxz7.png

January 2014 Update

2qcp4ax.jpg

Results

It’s a new year with a little under half of the first season completed, things are looking reasonable. Dongou and Thievy are proving to be on point up front with a hat-trick by the latter against Betis with Casilla proving to be fairly solid at the other end of the pitch.

14975t2.png

hriqh5.png

As you can see, there has been some very bare scrapes, especially in the first round of the Copa Del Rey where we escaped Ponferradina’s grasp by a single goal! Highlights so far in my opinion would be the draw against Madrid and the 4-1 thumping of Betis with the best match (table-wise) coming with the 1-0 victory over Malaga at the end of the year. This allowed an otherwise 8th placed team to leapfrog up to 6th:).

2lnbt5t.png

53lgyr.png

A 7th place or higher finish should see us into Europe (well at least the qualifiers…), which is probably a decent target for this season.

Tactics

hs1ceu.png

2rfvgxw.png

In the end I’ve gone for a lopsided 4-2-3-1 with a defensive and central midfielder. Generally I’ve played Victor Sanchez and David Lopez as two box-to-box midfielders, although a combination of Sanchez and Espinosa seems to work well in assisting Garcia creatively. I have also, reluctantly... used… Direct… Passing… :O

In Form Players

2zswm5w.png

t8vujs.png

2woli6a.png

It might seem like a bit of a long list, but both starting centre backs, Rodriguez and Moreno, as well as Casilla (the goalkeeper), and both midfielders in Sanchez and Lopez are all excelling with average ratings above 7.

Dongou is also doing quite well sitting at 7.07 with 7 goals so far, however, he and Thievy have both been quite inconsistent, disappearing some games and then easily putting together a brace or hat-trick the next time they’re on the pitch.

The Wrap

It’s January, it’s the midway point in the season. Moreno is still complaining about his failed moves to Arsenal and Man City. That being said I feel as though it might be time to sell him for a good fee and re-invest it in another player or two.

So despite a nice and solid start with Espanyol sitting in 6th place and in the 5th round of the Copa Del Rey, what will happen in January? Will another club come along and destroy Hu’s Espanyol before he even starts his assault on Barca? Will Moreno leave? For how much? And where to?

Cheers for reading guys :)

The person who most accurately guesses the landing spot of Moreno (if he does leave?) and who comes into replace him wins uh… a pat on the back?

Good going so far, you could snatch a CL spot if you're very lucky!

Erm... maybe not... I'd honestly be extremely happy if we managed to hang onto 6th place, the last time I tried playing with Espanyol (in FMH2013) I got sacked because we were too low in the table :P.

As it is, Dongou is the only one keeping me in my job and this career alive lol.

March 2014 Update

2qcp4ax.jpg

Results

The side hasn’t played badly, but the heavy 4-0 loss to Madrid at the Bernabeu degraded the team’s morale (which was building up over a few months) in the space of 90 minutes. This dip in morale led to draws against Levante and Granada which have cost us (as the table is) our spot in Europe and the Champions League doesn’t really seem like a realistic possibility this season.

k1wec7.png

Fortunately, a couple of solid results against Valladolid and Almeria keep us in touch just 1 point behind Valencia whilst we have a game on Sevilla and Real Sociedad meaning a big win could push us up to 4th if Valencia draw or lose an extra match by the end of the season.

33ue4pd.png

jh6fs0.png

Of course, it’s all nice and simple looking at the table, anything can happen in football (do well to remember this!!!)

Transfers

This is probably what everyone’s been waiting for, the transfer news! For a certain madowell77’s information, Stuttgart tendered a 14.25M bid for Moreno, which I rejected because I’d gotten enough funds from Stuani’s 5.75M sale (combined with around 1M from the last window and 550K from Salas’ sale) to purchase Edgar Ie for 7M. The rest of the funds were allocated to wages with Paul Quaye (a loanee) getting a 5 year deal.

2qn4ef7.png

Edgar Ie is yet another La Masia product, he’s Portugese and he’s got a similar style to Moreno (who I hope will replace). Moreno is probably the best individual player in the squad right now but he’s almost definitely going at the end of the season as he’ll only have 2 years left on his contract, and with the complaints about his failed moves, unless there’s some significant financial boost (UCL or Europa League maybe?) he won’t renew.

In Form Players

2rohl78.png

111o85z.png

2d8opxt.png

Thievy has leapfrogged Dongou for the top scorer’s spot with some crazy performances, he might be less consistent, but right now he’s striking every ball sweetly and sinking it into the net all the time.

Pizzi has also played quite well, leading assists, with Moreno holding the highest average rate but there is one player who has stood out from the rest (in my opinion) from the start of the year up to the beginning of March.

That player is Victor Sanchez

qz515j.png

He has one of the highest average ratings in the team at the moment, and with an 8.25 average from the past 5 games it shows just how well he is at playing as a dynamic midfielder. He has exceptional teamwork and positioning which allows him to get above 10 tackles a game, usually with another 3 or 4 intercepts.

His performances have allowed players like Thievy and Torje more shots on goal as possession is brought up the field faster and more often than was happening in the past. This has resulted in better results and our current league position.

The Wrap

So, a reasonable, but not exceptional transfer window with Moreno staying put (because I need him) coupled with a slight fall in position on the league table as well as the Cup run dream ended in the semis by a ruthless Real Madrid.

Things seem to be getting difficult, the business end of the season approaches.

What do you think of the sale of Stuani instead of Moreno and the purchase of Edgar Ie from Barcelona?

Where do you think my Espanyol side will end up at the end of the season?

“Anything Can Happen In Football”

2qcp4ax.jpg

Note: Hey guys, whilst I was playing this FMH save in the background whilst I was making the March 2014 Update (yesterday), and some of the most remarkable things happened. Within minutes I had been fist pumping, gaping at my phone is disbelief and really close to closing the game and never touching it again (I actually did, at one point, put my phone under a book so I didn’t have to watch what was happening).

I really think they need new refs but anyway...

This update will hopefully give you guys a feel for what I was going through, feedback is appreciated as to whether or not you liked it! (Get your popcorn because it's quite long!)

March 2, 2014. FC Barcelona Vs RCD Espanyol @ Camp Nou

This is it, the Sunday evening feature La Liga match, league leaders Barcelona facing Espanyol at home. Tata’s side are currently leading the league by a whopping 10 points and are firm favourites. Hu’s Espanyol are currently sitting in 7th place and will probably need a point to keep chances of a European adventure alive.

And the game is underway! Barcelona are pushing forward whilst Espanyol are looking for counter-attacking opportunities.

14’

Xavi passes sideways to Messi, Messi gets around Alvarez and avoids Moreno, he spots Ibesevic and puts the ball in!

SAVED!!! Casilla deflects the ball with Lopez quickly kicking it upfield…

Thievy with the ball now, he runs right at Pique, he sees Torje out in the right flank and boots the ball out wide! Torje accelerates into space and gets the ball and…

HE VOLLEYS IT HOME!!!!

It’s 1-0 to Espanyol!!!

UNBELIEVABLE! Valdes never saw it!*

* :P had it enough times from FMH itself!

4lmzx2.jpg

At this point I stop typing the update and I stare at the screen, fist pumping and smiling :). Of course, the game had other ideas…

18’

… Messi with the ball now, he dances his way through Espanyol, he’s jinked it between Moreno and Rodriguez!!! Amazing!

Casilla dives at the ball! Messi’s been tumbled over!

It’s a straight red! Casilla is OFF! PENALTY TO BARCELONA!

309n211.jpg

*facedesk* *stares at tactic screen in disbelief*

It’s Thievy off for German! He’s just warming up and he’s got a penalty to save!

*puts the heaviest book within range on top of phone, starts typing update again stone-faced*

Messi scores!!! German hardly reacted to Messi’s strike! Nobody can believe this- Least of all Hu and Casilla who are both standing on the sidelines with their mouths wide open!

20’

Xavi passes the ball to Ibesevic who’s gotten past everyone! He taps it into the goal!!!! It’s 2-1, the comeback is real!

Xavi cut through Espanyol like butter!

r7vixj.jpg

After this, there was nothing I could do, I came back at half-time, by which time Xavi had netted a 42’ penalty to make it 3-1. I tried bringing on subs and altering tactics, but with 10 men, away, and against a far superior opponent a goalless second half was proabably the best I could hope for…

2j2uueo.png

This was bad, but not too bad, Sevilla had lost aswell meaning we kept our position (for now).

14p9fr.png

I angrily saved the game and continued to our clash against Valencia, this next game could well decide the fate of the entire season

March 5, 2014. RCD Espanyol Vs Valencia @ Estadi Cornella-El Prat (Home)

This is a crucial match for Espanyol, a win and they can leapfrog both Sevilla and Valencia from 7th to 5th, making it a real possibility that there could be two Champions League teams from Barcelona next season.

Play starts, Valencia are playing passively, Espanyol are playing positively.

2’

Bernat wins the ball off Torje, Valencia slowly work the ball up the field.

Through ball from Fernandes to Piatti, Piatti with the ball now, Sidnei goes in for a slide tackle!

The whistle blows! Piatti is on the ground!

309n211.jpg

RED CARD! Sidnei is out! Espanyol are down to 10 men early yet again! That was a harsh decision! Espanyol are surrounding the referee!*

*actually happened

4’

Kaya with the ball now out of defence, he’s running the ball upfield! He boots the ball up the pitch!

Piatti receives it out wide and glides past Fuentes like he wasn’t there! He burys it in the top corner!

GOALLLLLLLLLL!!!! 1-0 Valencia!!!!

2rp8v41.jpg

*goes to tactics and activates yolo mode*

12’

Espinosa with the ball now, he gives the ball to Thievy, the ball is immediately fed back to him, brilliant play! He’s past the defence!

GOALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! It’s 1-1! What an equaliser!

*sigh of relief, hopes that the team can hold on for the draw*

19’

Thievy gets the ball and he slides it in the bottom left corner! What a goal!!!!

2-1 to Espanyol! They have the lead!!!!

37’

Rondon has the ball, and he puts flicks it over German!!!! GOAL!!!!

2-2!!!!! The scores are level YET AGAIN!!!!!!

303d9v8.jpg

Half Time

The scores are tied at 2-2 in what has so far been an exciting match!

*tactical tinkering*

79’

Thievy is running right at the middle of Valencia’s defence! He looks fearless!

They’re backing away from him… He creates space for himself…

GOAL!!!!!

3-2! Espanyol have the lead! Incredible stuff!!! The fans are on their feet!

10qko5z.jpg

85’

Torje is running up the wing! He’s flying up the field!

Bernat wins the ball, he takes a moment to control it and he’s flying back the other way! Paco Alcacer is calling for the ball, Bernat crosses the ball…

Torje has blocked it! He’s got the ball again! He runs the ball back down and crosses it in for Espinosa who makes no mistake!!! GOALLLLLLLLLL!

Diego Alves is stunned!!!! Espinosa has sealed the victory!!!! AMAZING FOOTBALL, everyone has gotten their money’s worth tonight!

se55i0.jpg

A great win from behind with 10 men against a strong Valencia side, this has got to be the highpoint of the season.

2rqj89l.png

We have leapfrogged both Valencia and Sevilla in an amazing turn of events, recovering from two reds in two games!

b51sbc.png

Thanks for reading guys! If you’re reading this (I doubt many will) can you leave me a PM or a comment letting me know that you read the whole way, as well as what you think of the excessive spoiler spam (sorry not sorry! #totallyworth).

The next proper update will be out in the next couple of days.

Vibe 1, Refs 0.

”Thievy is our King,

Thievy is our King,

He scored a brace and helped us win

Thievy is our King!