Jump to content
FMM Vibe
  • Sign Up
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashez

FMM 2019 Ideas Series: Set Pieces


2042543371_1954464176_Setpiecestitle.png.c0258b275ac1e39266a5eba7a1a81766(1).png.18b966bd20132048b7686f4b20d443ce.png

If you boil FMM down to it's pure form you'll realise the point of the game is goals, scoring them and conceding them is the entire point of the game. Unfortunately the enhanced match engine has a limited number of ways for this key event to take place, but to me set pieces are by far the most frustrating method as it's a vital area of the game we have zero control over. Being good at set pieces makes or breaks your season in real life with Pulis teams being a solid example as their strength is scoring from them while rarely conceding from them, you could even argue one of Liverpool's recent issues is we've been bad defensively and offensively from corners especially. 

So why has this vital area of the real life game been basically ignored in game? Sure we can pick who takes them but even back in the PSP days we could decide how individual players marked, who was in the box and the taker. From what we can gather by @BatiGoal's research our set piece set up is based on the formation being used, which I find infuriating. I can have a solid formation which is weak to corners yet to fix that I'd have to change the formation? If I have a defender who's a beast in both boxes I have to build a formation to put him in the right place in the box? How's that right? 

For corners I'd love the ability to create routines, to be able to personally select where my players are on the pitch and who's doing what. I want to be able to decide if my players are marking men or zones, I want to decide who's blocking, who's making space, who's attacking, which players are awaiting knock downs and who's sitting deep for counter protection or launch. Being able to select who knocks a ball into the box just isn't enough depth for a game like this. 

For free kicks I feel we desperately need them split up into areas of the pitch or by direct and indirect as there is little as frustrating as watching your good aerial striker crossing from the half way line instead of being in the mix. This is why I'd favour the pitch being split up into zones so we can decide by zone who takes the kick and if we want them as shots or crosses from that position. This simple alteration would add so much depth to the current system while also somewhat countering the long shot issues. Granted that opinion is from an offensive stand point which might not work as well from a defensive one unless you could build separate defensive line ups for direct and indirect free kicks by the opposition which the AI selects for you as needed. 

One set piece which is completely ignored from a control stand point in the current match engine is throw ins, granted they aren't really a vital aspect of the game but with some more options surrounding them they could add so much depth. Using the Stoke City example just look at how effective Delap was with long throws into dangerous areas? He was a dangerous weapon in the club's arsenal and unfortunately it's an option not open to us. Another aspect of throw ins could also be the tempo of them, while the time wasting option may mean your players can take their time with them what options do we have to up the tempo? A rushed throw in could launch an attack or play you into trouble if it's poorly placed! 

The final set piece I want to cover in this article is goal kicks as in my opinion the current options aren't implemented as you'd expect, especially the short passing option. All you need to do is look at your keepers pass completion stat to realise "tiki-taka" isn't a thing in game which is disappointing. Tempo could be another solid addition to the goal kick options as well as like the throw in options I discussed it could drastically impact the engine. 

While stats are an entirely different topic it's worth noting how useful they'd be for set pieces, imagine the informed decisions we could make if we had details on the players performance like how often do they score/assist, hit the wall or first man, win duels, give away fouls/pens, penalty success rate, players height and that's not even thinking about keepers who could have catch/punch success rate, how often they try to claim the ball, penalty save success and so on. This would then lead into @Nucleus's idea of improved scout reports as you could identify weaknesses in your own team or the opposition which you could try and exploit. Seriously stats are the main thing missing in FMM, that's a fact. 

My final odd ball suggestion is one that's been seriously bugging me during my current play through of the game and that's substitutions. The amount of times I've planned a change only to be met by a set piece once the ball has left play is annoying, especially if I want the targeted player involved in the event. Sure it's not really a big deal to cancel out of the menu, and attempt to make the change after the set piece has taken place but an option to make the change after the event from the first attempt would be amazing! Like they say you should never make a sub while defending a corner! 

That brings this article to a end but the question remains what do you think about set pieces in the game? What would you change? As always i'd love to hear all your views and opinions on my ideas and on this topic in general.

Article one in the series on backroom staff can be found here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

A free sniper who can take you out when you decide to play the EME and realise its just uber frustrating!!

In reality though.....the scouting defo needs sorting.

Team talks could be a good idea too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Woody said:

Team talks could be a good idea too.

No thanks for this and press conferences! If i wanted to answer multiable choice questions which have no real impact on the game I would still play on PC and still be getting my assman to do all of that anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Woody said:

Team talks could be a good idea too.

11F5FD24-5444-4DD8-BB48-B661E3B020C1.gif.044f1d71307aa593629664c9d9c2d303.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
· Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Foxy said:

No thanks for this and press conferences! If i wanted to answer multiable choice questions which have no real impact on the game I would still play on PC and still be getting my assman to do all of that anyway.

I hated press conferences! Didnt mind team talks to be honest.

Problem with the PC version is it got too much.

As i have been having the occassional go at cm01/02....i still like with or without ball!

I know its dated but it really helped and could help with @Ashez's corner scenerios and free kicks.

added 0 minutes later
18 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

11F5FD24-5444-4DD8-BB48-B661E3B020C1.gif.044f1d71307aa593629664c9d9c2d303.gif

😂

Ok lets forget team talks....i may of overstepped a little there 😉

Edited by Woody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Woody said:

Sam's corner scenerios and free kicks

Ashez wrote it 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great article @Ashez.

I would love to be able to have more control over where players position themselves fro corner kicks. In my current save Arp as a lone poacher always stands on the near post and does get a few goals there but not as many as a striker with better aerials would get. As I have Goretzka going for a GaM and he has much better aerial compared to Arp I would love to be able to put him at the near post and have Arp in and around the penalty spot looking for rebounds and tap in's. I also agree with the throw in's as I love a good Rory Delap/ Jon Chalinor long throw being boomed into the box and causing mayhem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

Ashez wrote it 😂

I'm at work trying to sneek onto here 😂 i had just read something Sam typed and he was in my head the crazy mackem!

Edited quote 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specific searches for positions such as box to box midfielders or inside forwards. this would help narrow down a particular player to look for/scout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with you @Ashez

Who remembers the set piece creator in championship manager 06 or 07?

43E4B1A0-E474-4E6C-A3BF-10DDB252C05E.thumb.jpeg.8d14531d79b9d8d5bf50699ea65f85bd.jpeg

This was on the PS2 so surely they could implement something similar with these new high spec devices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a cracking article and something I wish more people in the community would understand. This is a management game and we want as much control over tactics etc as possible not interaction with the media, shirt numbers and gimmicky nonsense which casuals beg for every year hence mis-understanding the whole point of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samhardy said:

This is a cracking article and something I wish more people in the community would understand. This is a management game and we want as much control over tactics etc as possible not interaction with the media, shirt numbers and gimmicky nonsense which casuals beg for every year hence mis-understanding the whole point of the game.

Second that...

We do need more control, extra options to make tactics more original. 

There are alot of very similar tactics on the forum not enough unique ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Woody said:

A free sniper who can take you out when you decide to play the EME and realise its just uber frustrating!!

In reality though.....the scouting defo needs sorting.

Team talks could be a good idea too.

Brave man to say that 😛

I agree with @Nucleusarticle completely on that subject

I don't want FMM to be a dating sim tbh. 

15 hours ago, Foxy said:

No thanks for this and press conferences! If i wanted to answer multiable choice questions which have no real impact on the game I would still play on PC and still be getting my assman to do all of that anyway.

Preach!

15 hours ago, Foxy said:

Great article @Ashez.

I would love to be able to have more control over where players position themselves fro corner kicks. In my current save Arp as a lone poacher always stands on the near post and does get a few goals there but not as many as a striker with better aerials would get. As I have Goretzka going for a GaM and he has much better aerial compared to Arp I would love to be able to put him at the near post and have Arp in and around the penalty spot looking for rebounds and tap in's. I also agree with the throw in's as I love a good Rory Delap/ Jon Chalinor long throw being boomed into the box and causing mayhem.

Excellent points Foxy, it's just hindering us for no real reason.

15 hours ago, Woody said:

I'm at work trying to sneek onto here 😂 i had just read something Sam typed and he was in my head the crazy mackem!

Edited quote 😕

No worries :)

13 hours ago, Johno_mk said:

Specific searches for positions such as box to box midfielders or inside forwards. this would help narrow down a particular player to look for/scout

That's what stat searches are for imo. 

13 hours ago, Nucleus said:

That’s been discussed in the first article In a sense if you haven’t seen it 😁

https://fmmvibe.com/forums/topic/41822-fmm19-ideas-series-staff/

 

Go read it!

11 hours ago, Nucleus said:

Totally agree with you @Ashez

Who remembers the set piece creator in championship manager 06 or 07?

43E4B1A0-E474-4E6C-A3BF-10DDB252C05E.thumb.jpeg.8d14531d79b9d8d5bf50699ea65f85bd.jpeg

This was on the PS2 so surely they could implement something similar with these new high spec devices?

The only reason I can think of not to do this is I expect it could be easily broken and exploited. 

11 hours ago, samhardy said:

This is a cracking article and something I wish more people in the community would understand. This is a management game and we want as much control over tactics etc as possible not interaction with the media, shirt numbers and gimmicky nonsense which casuals beg for every year hence mis-understanding the whole point of the game.

Sam knows the score!

9 hours ago, Woody said:

Second that...

We do need more control, extra options to make tactics more original. 

There are alot of very similar tactics on the forum not enough unique ones.

That, that and that! I've been banging this drum since the mobile game became a thing! We only have limited options and only certain things work so there is hardly anything unique with the game! This is why I push for depth and not gimmicks!

7 hours ago, NavasGod said:

Very good ideas thank you I like this 

 

Appreciated!

Thanks lads :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the article. The bit I most agree on is the zones and free kicks. Just split the goddarn thing out. I’m trying a 1kc with Isak, so I want him to smash free kicks directly in front of goal, but it’s bloody frustrating when he’s taking them by the corner flag. It makes me so angry - more more angry than a computer game should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More tactical options all the way, great article @Ashez!  

Other props, I suppose there's always a soul or two in favor, but those will never ever bring FMM to the next level like these set pieces options for example would. 

At the moment I fork out a season in a day or maybe two days if I intentionally stretch it out with thought thru subs, opponent's research etc etc but if the FMM Gods a.k.a SI smile upon us and decide to offer us extra tactical options like these set pieces Ashez been begging for years I'd happily spend twice the time on a season I currently do.

It's a massive key ingredient that's missing in a football managing game much like a beer without alcohol. Non-alcoholic beer anyone? 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

More tactical options all the way, great article @Ashez!  

Other props, I suppose there's always a soul or two in favor, but those will never ever bring FMM to the next level like these set pieces options for example would. 

At the moment I fork out a season in a day or maybe two days if I intentionally stretch it out with thought thru subs, opponent's research etc etc but if the FMM Gods a.k.a SI smile upon us and decide to offer us extra tactical options like these set pieces Ashez been begging for years I'd happily spend twice the time on a season I currently do.

It's a massive key ingredient that's missing in a football managing game much like a beer without alcohol. Non-alcoholic beer anyone? 🙄

Couldn't have said it better mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Couldn't have said it better mate!

Me too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I would like to see added is the ability to change set piece takers during a game. Sometimes I would really like to be able change it say when I'm doing challenges for competitions or in my current save it would be handy if  Arp has a hat trick to be able to put Goretzka on pens without taking Arp of the pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Something I would like to see added is the ability to change set piece takers during a game. Sometimes I would really like to be able change it say when I'm doing challenges for competitions or in my current save it would be handy if  Arp has a hat trick to be able to put Goretzka on pens without taking Arp of the pitch. 

This! Such a simple thing to do, yet they haven’t done it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Something I would like to see added is the ability to change set piece takers during a game. Sometimes I would really like to be able change it say when I'm doing challenges for competitions or in my current save it would be handy if  Arp has a hat trick to be able to put Goretzka on pens without taking Arp of the pitch. 

Far too complicated for SI that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Foxy said:

Something I would like to see added is the ability to change set piece takers during a game. Sometimes I would really like to be able change it say when I'm doing challenges for competitions or in my current save it would be handy if  Arp has a hat trick to be able to put Goretzka on pens without taking Arp of the pitch. 

Could have suggested that during the discussion! I didn't include penalties as I had nothing to say about them but that's a spot on request that! 

IIRC on older version of FMM you could do this? OME maybe? Maybe PSP and not mobile I'm not sure but I swear this used to be a thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Could have suggested that during the discussion!

Sorry:'( 

Only just occurred to me whilst I was watching the WC highlights and all the penalties we saw today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Foxy said:

Sorry:'( 

Only just occurred to me whilst I was watching the WC highlights and all the penalties we saw today.  

Haha, it's always the way mate! That's why I sat on the original article for a few days to see what else came to mind, like throw ins was a late addition as you know lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxy said:

Maybe I should have saved it for article 3🤐

I think your topic will be entertaining enough as is ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The world cup is giving excellent examples of how awesome these features would be!

Iceland being effective with long throws then now you have Mexico showing how important it is on how you defend a corner. Leaving the three up forces Germany to gamble,  do they go in the box or mark the attackers? Massive risk to put another defender in to join the attack but if they drop more to stop the 3 vs 3 their attacking set piece is hindered. Now this is tactics! Shove your press conferences up.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ashez said:

The world cup is giving excellent examples of how awesome these features would be!

Iceland being effective with long throws then now you have Mexico showing how important it is on how you defend a corner. Leaving the three up forces Germany to gamble,  do they go in the box or mark the attackers? Massive risk to put another defender in to join the attack but if they drop more to stop the 3 vs 3 their attacking set piece is hindered. Now this is tactics! Shove your press conferences up.......

Yeah....shove them press conferences!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Woody said:

Yeah....shove them press conferences!!!

I am biased tbh as even with real life football I can't be doing with press conferences as I very rarely watch or read them, even Liverpool's as you do the talking on the pitch. All I'm asking for is that FMM allows us to do that. I often moan FMM feels like I'm playing by SI's script so the last thing I need is for them to speak for me in a worthless dating sim mini games, within a week we'd all know the correct answers anyway so it's a total waste of time. It's football manager not newspaper story maker! Long live the football! 

Edited by Ashez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×