Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic 2012 Olympics

Jayze

Adam Le Fondre should have been one of the over 23 players taken!

Also I'm still only waiting on Brazil's team, just to see if Coutinho is there, give me a team to support :D

My bad on the Cleverley spelling :lol:

And I don't know much on Cork tbh nor have I seen him play that much. But the likes of Adam Lallana, Bradley Johnson, Elliot Bennett, Andy King, Joe Ledley and others but I cannot be bothered to look for them. Could all make it and I see as better replacements for Giggs.

So many things wrong with that post. Sigh.

Firstly. You claim to not have seen Cork play that often, nor do you know much about him. Yet he's still a better option than Ryan Giggs?

Secondly. So, Andy King. Who isn't even on the cusp of a move to the Premier League is a better option than Giggs, dispite playing for a mid-table Championship team?

Thirdly. Lallana is still to prove he can do it at the highest level. He's at a period in his career that Cleverley was at a couple of years back. It's glaringly obvious the boy has talent. However at the highest standard he's un-proven.

Goalkeepers: David De Gea (Manchester United), Joel Robles (Atletico Madrid), Diego Marino (Villarreal).

Defenas: Azpilicueta (Olympique Marseille), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic), Dominguez (Borussia Monchengladbach), Montoya (Barcelona), Botia (Sporting Gijon), San Jose (Athletic), Iñigo Martínez (Real Sociedad .)

Media: Thiago Alcántara (Barcelona), Ander Herrera (Athletic), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Oriol Romeu (Chelsea), Isco (Malaga), Mata (Chelsea), Muniain (Athletic).

Forwards: Adrian (Atletico Madrid), Álvaro Vázquez (Espanyol), Tello (Barcelona), Rodrigo (Benfica).

That could beat our first team. Yet alone the rather crap Olympic team.

I can't claim on Cork cause I don't feel it is right to criticise a player that I have only seen play 2 or 3 games. And the fact he is in the team clearly shows he is good in Pearce's eyes. Nor am I claiming he is a better replacement for Giggs.

King be it was plagued by injuries this season but the year before he was Leicesters top scorer and can consistently play in one of the harder leagues compared to others and has been linked in the past to the likes of Everton, Villa, Wigan.

And yes Lallana is talented but then so is most of the Team GB football team and 5 of which play/ed in the championship. Plus Pearce has worked with most of them at Under 21 level.

The Alba convo. Think about it. You've just won the Euro's. Scored in the final. Secured a move to Barca. Your going to be buzzing. Your not going to feel tired!

The Olympics are starting soon, and ally ou can think about is the football squad in each team? :angry:

Seriously, if I had my way football wouldn't be in the Olympics, neither would tennis, nor 7 a-side-rugby (it's in Rio2016). The Olympics is about individual excellence and all of the aforementioned sports have their own major tournaments in the year, in tennis an Olympic medal isn't even as valuable as a Grand Slam - you can see the same in football.

If I'm looking forward to the Olympics then it's for seeing athletes like Rudisha and Warburton clashing on a major stage - for the athletics where the sport started, and I don't care what you tell me, an event like 3000S/C is massively massively massively harder then any football game you'll ever compete in.

I like watching all the different sports in the Olympics but I don't know all the athletes names and who's good or bad so I'm not going to talk about them until I've seen who is doing well in the actual Olympics and talk about things that I may have just seen on the TV. Until then I'm going to talk about the football squads because that is a subject that I know I'll be able to talk about.

How about you stop being an arsehole all the time and leave people to talk about what they want to talk about even if you don't like it. If you don't like it just leave the thread, you don't have to go making us look like dicks.

Chill out! :blink: No need to go so defensive ;)

If you do want to know about good athletes you can always watch the diamond league, but a quick reference guide:

100m - Usain Bolt/Any other Jamaican. From Britain look out for Dwain Chambers/Gemili - Gemili being just 18 and recently would've gone sub 10 second (amazing milestone) if not for wind.

200m - Usain Bolt/Any other Jamaican. From Britain we have Christian Malcom

400m - I don't know an awful lot about this distance :-(

800m - Rudisha is very likely to set a world record time, I assume sub 1.40 (he's the current world record holder). A week or two ago he was 0.5 seconds off the wr. From Britain I'd say look out from Warburton, but that's just because I've seen him training ;) I don't think we're competitive at that distance

1500m - Obviously whilst Mo Farah is the fastest he won't be competing, more on that in a moment. Look out for Ross Murray from Britain.

5000/10000m - Mo Farah - he's British and doing these distances instead of 1500m; he's pretty much the best in the world so I'm placing my bets on him winning

3000S/C - It will *fact* be won by some Kenyan

Anyway, side note - I saw the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic (athletics) team training today. They can't have realised what hit them, we were all out in leggings/shorts and tees/vests whilst they had leggings, tracksuit bottoms when standing still and a great big ski coat even when doing sprint training. Obviously they aren't used to our weather :D

Brazil were class last night. Oscar looks a real player it has to be said. Ma Homeboy Lucas was also very good. Him and Rafa linking up on the right. :wub:

GB looked distinctly average. The midfield was quite incompetent only Allen and Clevs looked like they actually knew what they were doing. We also haven't gone with an out and out striker either. Say's it all. We brought Craig Dawson on. They brought Ganso on.

I haven't seen the match, but my Brazilian friend was not impressed by Brazil (even though the scoreline was good).

My mate went to the game and he said that Juan Jesus looked pretty solid at the back, which is good since we have problems there so least that's some good news.

Things are looking good for the GB cycling team following the Tour; Wiggins and Froome naturally look in form (but obv. they finished first/second), Cav is definitely prepared for the sprints when you see his speed compared to everyone else and Geraint Thomas should be good to after missing the tour to aid his preparations.

Brunei Olympics Team

This will be the 4th time where Brunei will be sending athletes to the Olympic, the first in Seoul 1988. We will be sending a 3 person team where they will compete in the 400m mens, 400m womens and the 200m swimming events. Our 400m women, Maziah's world record is 1:00.32. Maziah will be the first women athlete Brunei sends to the game. Ak Hafiy Tajuddin Pg Rositi will be the 400m mens runner for Brunei. His personal best is 49.33 seconds. For 200m swimming, we will be sending Anderson Lim Chee Wei who is the first swimmer to be sent by Brunei.

623998252.jpg?key=500500

Cause the OGC kept back hundreds of thousands of tickets for all events as they worried they would over sell. But they didn't and people had applied and not given tickets even though there are hundreds of thousands left <_<. But you can now buy on the door for events apart from finals as they are unlikely to be available.

One of the other football matches today was North Korea v. Colombia. When the North Korean players were called out, this flag was displayed next to the name...

Ayq5yXACEAAtskp.jpg

Stupid mistake, really. Now the North Koreans are refusing to play.