Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games 2019 Vibe Premier League

samhardy

4 minutes ago, Foxy said:

He’s strayed away from the “woody method” this week 😮

Sorry to say it @Woody but I’m predicting a -1 for you this week because of that.

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

giphy.gif

Means nothing guys 😁

2 hours ago, 1759 said:

Finished my attempt, will upload this evening. Very enjoyable challenge, just couldn’t get enough goals from my goalie. 

I dabbled with goalkeepers upfront in last years game. In the Augusta challenge iirc.  Don’t think I scored from open play with one and the penalty misses were just sickening! Imo they basically don’t have any technical stats other then their goalkeeper ones. So effectively you’re relying on their Aerial alone to get you goals and with no movement it’s doubtful they’ll get into the right position to even score 😂 frustrating challenge but fun

19 minutes ago, Nucleus said:

I dabbled with goalkeepers upfront in last years game. In the Augusta challenge iirc.  Don’t think I scored from open play with one and the penalty misses were just sickening! Imo they basically don’t have any technical stats other then their goalkeeper ones. So effectively you’re relying on their Aerial alone to get you goals and with no movement it’s doubtful they’ll get into the right position to even score 😂 frustrating challenge but fun

I won’t say too much yet until the results are in but it’s funny how a goalie can knock in the odd 25 yard free kick but then he has trouble keeping the ball in the stadium taking a penalty. 

16 minutes ago, Woody said:

My keeper scored plenty.....or did he? 😋

Reveal hidden contents

He did though.

Reveal hidden contents

Orrrr did hee...hmmmm 😜

I bet he managed more than mine. 

5 minutes ago, 1759 said:

I won’t say too much yet until the results are in but it’s funny how a goalie can knock in the odd 25 yard free kick but then he has trouble keeping the ball in the stadium taking a penalty. 

No doubt SIgh will confirm the reason for that is "there's less pressure on taking a free kick". Completely ignoring the fact that the player taking the FK has dogshit stats.

2 minutes ago, samhardy said:

No doubt SIgh will confirm the reason for that is "there's less pressure on taking a free kick". Completely ignoring the fact that the player taking the FK has dogshit stats.

It may have been winter 😂

9 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Opposition players kicking lumps out of the penalty spot.

Uri Geller telepathically moved the ball

1 hour ago, samhardy said:

Finished :) I enjoyed this challenge the most out of them all so far I think.

Gk smashed in 20 goals did he? 😆

30 minutes ago, samhardy said:

All results in! Results tomorrow. A few of you should be dreading it ;)

That’ll be me then I guess.😔

Did really enjoy this weeks challenge though.😁

2 hours ago, samhardy said:

All results in! Results tomorrow. A few of you should be dreading it ;)

No prizes for guessing who will finish last... 😠

Week 4 - Results

Merry Pancake Day but more importantly we find ourselves at the end of another challenge which means here I am with the latest set of results. The table was really starting to tighten up after last week's encounters making every game from this point in crucial. After the stresses of last week's challenge it was something lighter this time so let's see how everyone got on.

Woody v 1759

Spoiler

Second top against second bottom here but both came into this one onto the back of victories last time out. Woody has typically been consistently inconsistent during this campaign whereas 1759 is still finding his feet but what happened here?

Well what happened was that both picked Portsmouth and Woody made the utterly bizarre decision to not play his keeper up front! What sort of thing is happening here. That's right he played his Jimmy Glass in goal for the full duration! He had a good run at things in the league, but not as good his opponent with a 55 point haul and a 23 GD but Issam El Maach missed a couple of penalties and ended with a titanic 0 goals meaning Woody misses out on points from his keeper altogether! This really opens the door for 1759 with Woody finishing on a bang average 78.

So the door was open but could 1759 walk through it, well I've already said that he scored more points than Woody but would be have to settle for a draw or was it enough for a win is the question that is about to be answered. He matched Woody's points haul of 55 but had a superior GD by 7. He had the audacity to play his keeper Aaron Ramsdale up front fancy that :O and he notched 5 goals giving him 25 bonus points! A great performance which is not only enough to take the win with a score of 110 but puts him right up at the top end of the leaderboard, and that's back to back wins for 1759 who is really making up for his slow start here. These two both have 2 wins and 2 defeats from their 4 games now but both are still well and truly in the race for the all important playoffs.

Result - Woody 0-3 1759

DutchTony v Titjes

Spoiler

These two have had contrasting starts to their VPL campaign and both came into this one needing a win but for different reasons. Surely Tony's nightmare can't continue for much longer but Tits was looking for 3 wins from 4 here.

Unfortunately yet again DT didn't last the duration of the challenge. He decided to stay nostalgic and go with Carlisle which is where Glass' magic happened but there was no magic happening here as sitting 21st in League 2 after 11 games with 6 points was enough for him to be dismissed by The Cumbrians. This naturally comes with a negative GD as well and sadly his keeper Steven Benda added insult to injury by failing to find the back of the net at any stage. Tony finishes with a total of -9 and you don't need me to tell you that was the lowest score of the round which deducts another point from his total. That coupled with a win for 1759 means that DT is now 7 points adrift at the bottom of the table with just 3 weeks left.

What this means is that Tits essentially has to beat Woody's score of 78 in order to take the win this week, since after Tony that was the second lowest when it came to the Belgian submitting. Well just taking league performance into account, then he would have just fallen short, as 54 league points and a 23 GD add up to 77 but it also means that only one goal from Alessandro Plizzari would see Tits take 3 points from this one. He didn't just scored one he managed to find the net 4 times adding 20 more points to the total. 97 the final score, not a vintage performance but that doesn't matter a jot as it's enough for the win and another 3 points on the board for Tits.

Result - DutchTony 0-1 Titjes

Nucleus v smoggy90

Spoiler

Arguably the match of the week as it saw 1st take on 3rd in what could be described as a "six pointer" although I guess every match in this league fits that description. Nuke had a storming performance last week but could he keep that up for a second consecutive week.

Well, the short answer to that is no, as like Woody he made a visit to Muppetville this week and decided playing his keeper in goal was the way forward in order to ensure his outfielders did the job. It's all about points management in these challenges and the fact of the matter is 5 points for just one goal is worth a lot lot more than just relying on points from league points and GD when you add them up at the end of the season. However Nuke faired slightly better than Woody as he managed to get two goals from penalties from Luca Plogmann, and with 59 goals and a GD of 28 he finished with a score of 97. Even just 3 more goals from his keeper would have made a huge difference this week.

Smoggy taught his opponent a bit of a lesson this week and in fact not just his opponent, everyone in the competition as his keeper Andrew Fisher completely stole the show. Fisher managed to find the net a whopping 11 times in 23 games which is 55 points straight off the bat! He matched Nuke on goal difference and only got 4 points less which makes absolutely no difference as it's the goals where the big points are on offer this week. Taking everything into account the score finishes at 138 which actually ended up comfortably being enough for not just the win but the bonus point as well. A first defeat for Nuke as Smoggy goes from strength to strength in the competition and leapfrogs the Welshman, becoming the first manager to reach a double figure point haul this year.

Result - Nucleus 1-3 smoggy90

samhardy v Foxy

Spoiler

Two of the top 4 last year and it's been a surprisingly quiet start from two of the tournament favourites, they'll have to get their act together quickly if both are to stake a claim for the title this year. This was the only match of the week to not feature Pompey as the team of choice.

I went with Carlisle as I don't like Portsmouth and to keep it as "relevant" as possible although I was eyeing up Dulwich Hamlet but there'd have been two fewer games. I led Carlisle to 53 points from the 23 league games, with a couple of last minute equalisers against me playing their part, and had a GD of 28 which had my total at an average 81 before getting to the performance of goalkeeper Alfie Whiteman who found the net 5 times, could have been better as his missed 3 fucking penalties as well, but that left me at a frustrating 106 which could have been a lot better with a bit more luck but it was still a total I was content with and Foxy would have to work hard to beat it.

As I'm sure you all expected Foxy went with Oxford as his choice of team, now we know the rest of the scores he had 110 to beat if he was to take the win and 97 to beat if he was to secure a draw. He bettered my points total by 3 points and also had the advantage when it came to GD, but only narrowly. Compared to my 81 at this point The Gloucestershire Gladiator had 86, which is the equivalent to just one goal from Jimmy Glass but an inconvenient injury towards the end of the challenge meant Harry Lewis had his season ended early! Lewis needed to bang in 5 goals if Foxy was to take the win... And what drama as he only hit 4 :O If that injury hadn't happened then surely Foxy would have taken the win this week but in the end it made all the difference and this game ends in a draw. Foxy finishes with 108.

Just one more goal from either of our keeper's and that would have turned a draw into a win! What a match.

Result - samhardy 2-2 Foxy

The full scorelist for week 4/7:

Spoiler

smoggy90 - 138
1759 - 110
Foxy - 108
samhardy - 106
Nucleus - 97
Titjes - 97
Woody - 78
DutchTony - -9

Time for a look at the table now but first off, what a week that was! The closest so far and just 2 or 3 keeper goals in every match would have changed the result. Drama at its best which is what we want to see. @smoggy90 is the new leader at the top of the table, jumping above @Nucleus. @Titjes moves up to 3rd and @Woody completes the top four at the end of week 4, with the chasing pack of @Foxy, myself and @1759 just behind. @DutchTony now looks a certainty to finish bottom.

Just 3 weeks to go now and everything is heating up. We're in for a hell of a ride so fasten your seatbelts ahead of the run in!

League table Wk4.png

I still stand by my decision to play him in goal. The league points I would have dropped had he been upfront would have made my score lower imo. 

Well done lads, enjoyed that one :) 

What.a.match!!!

I thought the injury would have spoiled my chances so I’m happy to take a draw this week tbf.

Need to get my finger out if I want a playoff spot though as fair play this is one of the closest events I think I have ever seen on Vibe.

Sorry @Woody, a bit of a shock result this and I didn’t expect it as I thought most would’ve got about 10-15 goals from their keepers which proved not to be the case.

My goalie was in goal for a good portion of this with him on pens and free kicks but I’d put him up front whenever I felt I had the game won or from the start if I thought the opposition was weaker. I think 3 of his goals were raking free kicks from outside the box and he scored just the 1 pen and about 3 or 4 were blasted into orbit. He did get 1 goal from a corner with a near post header.

Well done everyone but especially @smoggy90 with that fantastic result! 😀