Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Lots of shots, no goals

I routinely have over 20 shots but half the time nobody scores. 

CF has shooting of 17 and Aerial 18. Rest of the team are from the wonderkids file, so it’s not about being bad players. I have Shoot on Sight and Through Balls but have messed about with all the instructions and there’s not much difference. Still no goals despite all the chances.

Tactic is a 2-2-3-2-1 that has found plenty of success in the past seasons but now it’s just dropped off a cliff. 

Any advice what to do? Chasing 1k with Martinelli but won’t get there at this rate. 

It can be frustrating this but it depends on how often it’s happening for me. If it’s just an occasional thing then fine but doesn’t sound like it is with you so I’d say something is wrong with either the players or tactics. I mention players first as nearly everything mentioned on here seems to be purely tactical but I think players and their attributes are equally or even more important.

If you could share screenshots of your full tactics and instructions with your preferred line up we could have a look and see if we could help you. Can’t promise anything though as it’s ultimately trial and error in testing.

Edited by Ian

I'm facing this same situation with a particular system I created. It's become really frustrating that I had to dropped the game entirely at a point. It's not the players and I don't think it's the system too. I've tried the tactics with Man City, Liverpool, PSG, etc. They will dominate the opposition in every area but find it hard to score. 70% possession, over 12 shots on target but no goals.

Here’s a typical example... Players are all decent, 20 shots, 12 corners, but just one clear cut chance? I’ve tried moving the SOS to WIB or nothing and it gets even worse.. 5 shots, no goals. 

Tactic working well in general as you can see from Martinelli record but it’s unlikely to get me to 1k as he declines. 

Frustrating you can dominate so much and not score. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

B4D885C8-A1FA-4DCA-9889-A6186521FBFC.png

388369B0-C576-42B1-92D6-EE3FD9E741B0.png

3457F1F9-394E-4731-9CE0-8DBC54CE51C9.png

ACC5D773-7D59-420A-B67A-6792D0BB9189.png

4B925175-E382-49AC-958A-EE510F0BFF2B.png

714DB4B4-D8D7-47DF-9E20-2923A493A6CF.png

You got no width in that tactic, Lack of creative output and too compact in the middle.

I suggest removing both IWB and play WB instead. Get rid of the DLP and change with AP. Probably also change the creativity freedom to balance or expressive. Play mixed short passing and remove both early cross and through ball. Use all over instead of own half.

This is what I used most of the times so hopefully it works for you either

4 hours ago, drunojc14 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=29906ed9e9968481imageproxy.php?img=&key=29906ed9e9968481imageproxy.php?img=&key=29906ed9e9968481Here’s a typical example... Players are all decent, 20 shots, 12 corners, but just one clear cut chance? I’ve tried moving the SOS to WIB or nothing and it gets even worse.. 5 shots, no goals. 

Tactic working well in general as you can see from Martinelli record but it’s unlikely to get me to 1k as he declines. 

Frustrating you can dominate so much and not score. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

B4D885C8-A1FA-4DCA-9889-A6186521FBFC.png

388369B0-C576-42B1-92D6-EE3FD9E741B0.png

3457F1F9-394E-4731-9CE0-8DBC54CE51C9.png

ACC5D773-7D59-420A-B67A-6792D0BB9189.png

4B925175-E382-49AC-958A-EE510F0BFF2B.png

714DB4B4-D8D7-47DF-9E20-2923A493A6CF.png

Those numbers look good to me but like you say maybe not for the 1kc. This thread below might be something worth reading as anything I say as an answer will more than likely be covered in there.

Have you tried a different role for Martinelli?

Personally I have never been much of a fan of a Complete Forward as I feel like the player is trying to do too much whereas I want them in front of goal simply getting goals.

As mentioned by @Mr Tree, Shoot on Sight means they are firing from distance rather than getting the ball into spaces where they are more likely to score, so I'd definitely turn that off. Personally I always use Work Into The Box to make sure shots are coming from the best location. I'd probably ditch early crosses too, as that may result in shots that are a bit rushed, but I'm less sure about this one.

If you're going for the 1KC, definitely read the post that @Ian linked to, lots of gold in there. But just from look at your formation, I'd be getting rid of the IFs and the BBMs as I find they always take shots away from my striker. Maybe check your post game stats screen to see who taking the shots?

Thanks to all. Have been trying a few tactics, with some success. But a follow up question - do you tend to keep the same tactic for 20 years or does it change radically? I find one works for 6 months or so then drops off a cliff with no warning. Feels like the AI learns how to play against it. Anyone else find that?

I used the same (simple) tactic for the first 20 years in my "Football Factory", and throughout my Italian career - AI couldn't stop me :)

6 hours ago, drunojc14 said:

Thanks to all. Have been trying a few tactics, with some success. But a follow up question - do you tend to keep the same tactic for 20 years or does it change radically? I find one works for 6 months or so then drops off a cliff with no warning. Feels like the AI learns how to play against it. Anyone else find that?

I tend to tweaks alot for the 3 season. Once the formations looks stable enough I’ll stay with it