Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

5 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

After 3 games, 7 unbeaten teams and 8 teams without a win. Slightly staggered we're in the better of those two categories. 

Gotta feel for arsenal, tough start against arguably the three best teams in the league. 

I feel dirty saying this, but I feel sorry for Arteta as he comes across a lovely bloke and has had some horrid luck with injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

I feel dirty saying this, but I feel sorry for Arteta as he comes across a lovely bloke and has had some horrid luck with injuries. 

Nice guy or not, his signings have been atrocious tbh. Why give Xhaka a new deal as well, unreal.

Steve Bruce is a great bloke by all accounts as well, but he needs to go!

Arsenal are just poorly run, it's outrageously bad. They spend half the window trying to flog Xhaka then give him a new long term deal? It's mental. Then £30m on a backup keeper? Like what? They actually make Mike Ashley look like a good owner 😛

Been at the van and because we were going to come back early we decided not to bother taking the recorder box. Not much of a problem really as it should only be recording that we’d miss but for some reason we couldn’t get the BBC channels tuned so missed motd. No desire there either for me to bother to see things in other ways.

Just seen the Liverpool pen now and I’m kind of wondering what the fuss was about tbh. It’s shit I guess for the game so long as the penalty goes in but what if it doesn’t and the defender hasn’t been sent off? A pen favours the taker but quite how much is the question. I mean, if you don’t send the defender off and the subsequent pen gets missed then you get the opposite argument as they’ve then lost out in a clear goal. 

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Been at the van and because we were going to come back early we decided not to bother taking the recorder box. Not much of a problem really as it should only be recording that we’d miss but for some reason we couldn’t get the BBC channels tuned so missed motd. No desire there either for me to bother to see things in other ways.

Just seen the Liverpool pen now and I’m kind of wondering what the fuss was about tbh. It’s shit I guess for the game so long as the penalty goes in but what if it doesn’t and the defender hasn’t been sent off? A pen favours the taker but quite how much is the question. I mean, if you don’t send the defender off and the subsequent pen gets missed then you get the opposite argument as they’ve then lost out in a clear goal. 

My take is if that wasn't a heavily punished act, we'd soon be sick to death of hand ball blocks on the line. Look at Suarez the other year for Uruguay. 

Anyway what a fucking bombshell to drop today. 

Screenshot_20210830_085555_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.2dcaa2b39dabd4ca36b0191c39c5e1a7.jpg

FSG not spending when we're on top is one thing but Edwards leaving would be devastating.

8 hours ago, Ian said:

I just don’t think it was a deliberate handball to be honest, I think fair enough we’ve seen in the past players put their arm out deliberately and that should 100% be a red card. Now that we got VAR, refs can make a decision by the screen if need be if it’s deliberate or not. It’s one of them you’re happy if it’s your team though, not so much as the other team. As a neutral I just think a pen would have been fair.

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

My take is if that wasn't a heavily punished act, we'd soon be sick to death of hand ball blocks on the line. Look at Suarez the other year for Uruguay. 

Anyway what a fucking bombshell to drop today. 

Screenshot_20210830_085555_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.2dcaa2b39dabd4ca36b0191c39c5e1a7.jpg

FSG not spending when we're on top is one thing but Edwards leaving would be devastating.

Big news, heard he’s off to Arsenal? 😂

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I just don’t think it was a deliberate handball to be honest, I think fair enough we’ve seen in the past players put their arm out deliberately and that should 100% be a red card. Now that we got VAR, refs can make a decision by the screen if need be if it’s deliberate or not. It’s one of them you’re happy if it’s your team though, not so much as the other team. As a neutral I just think a pen would have been fair.

Big news, heard he’s off to Arsenal? 😂

22 seconds in, he's clearly moving his arm towards the ball and almost scoops it out. If he doesn't imo it crosses the line off his knee. His foot of the knee is on/ the line, the balls going up/backwards before he scoops it. There is surely no arguement? I get the double jeopardy part but that's two offences, it's handball and stopping a clear goal. I don't even think it's a stupid rule as like I said above if that was a yellow and a pen we'd soon be sick to death of last ditch handballs then rolling the dice with a pen. 

2 minutes ago, Ashez said:

22 seconds in, he's clearly moving his arm towards the ball and almost scoops it out. If he doesn't imo it crosses the line off his knee. His foot of the knee is on/ the line, the balls going up/backwards before he scoops it. There is surely no arguement? I get the double jeopardy part but that's two offences, it's handball and stopping a clear goal. I don't even think it's a stupid rule as like I said above if that was a yellow and a pen we'd soon be sick to death of last ditch handballs then rolling the dice with a pen. 

Look we all are going to have different opinions on this, I hate the fact that so many things are red cards, you can clearly see him move his leg towards it, he moves his arm forward after it hits his arm. The biased towards Liverpool is mental. 

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Look we all are going to have different opinions on this, I hate the fact that so many things are red cards, you can clearly see him move his leg towards it, he moves his arm forward after it hits his arm. The biased towards Liverpool is mental. 

Too many things for a red card?? Like what? 

Screenshot_20210830_093218_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.e2299643de3983ea49ddfe92afa6ea29.jpg

Which of them should be a red card?? 

1. No arguement surely? 

2. No argument surely?

3. No arguement surely?

4. Point of contention but happens like once a season.

5. Obviously that's changed now due to the double jeopardy rule of "if the ball or man was played". Which is fair imo  

6. No argument surely?

7. No argument surely? 

Bad challenges are the main culprit alongside double yellows, and I 100% bet we'll get more red cards this year if this rougher style continues, yet I also bet you're on board with a more contact and flowing game?

6 minutes ago, Ashez said:

Too many things for a red card?? Like what? 

Screenshot_20210830_093218_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.e2299643de3983ea49ddfe92afa6ea29.jpg

Which of them should be a red card?? 

1. No arguement surely? 

2. No argument surely?

3. No arguement surely?

4. Point of contention but happens like once a season.

5. Obviously that's changed now due to the double jeopardy rule of "if the ball or man was played". Which is fair imo  

6. No argument surely?

7. No argument surely? 

Bad challenges are the main culprit alongside double yellows, and I 100% bet we'll get more red cards this year if this rougher style continues, yet I also bet you're on board with a more contact and flowing game?

Your own manager even thinks it’s a harsh red and yes he is YOUR MANAGER. Most pundits also agree who are ex footballers, I think I’ll go by what they think rather than you. And they seem to have the same thoughts as I had. Never said it wasn’t a penalty, just said it was a harsh red and I think they rule needs to change. It hits his arm first and then hits his arm and he reacts by moving his arm which is a natural movement. 

We are moving the right way with more  contact being introduced, but there are so many needless yellows by some refs and they contradict each other, you may not notice it as much as Liverpool fan.

He said it was harsh because it ruined the game, players know handling on the line is a red card, just like they know high foots are reds, accident or not. 

Just now, Ashez said:

He said it was harsh because it ruined the game, players know handling on the line is a red card, just like they know high foots are reds, accident or not. 

Tell that to Villa's keeper...

You can argue the rules are wrong or that referees don't implement them properly but the James red card was the letter of the law, that's a fact. It was a red card all day long and would be for any team in any league. 

Just now, Ashez said:

You can argue the rules are wrong or that referees don't implement them properly but the James red card was the letter of the law, that's a fact. It was a red card all day long and would be for any team in any league. 

Whatever you say Sir.

What's everyone think about the blackout debate then? I think it's absolutely stupid the thing to start the debate back up again for the first time in years is bloody Ronaldo, like Jesus Christ. 

Anyway I've always hated the blackout and I am someone who'll "find a way" to watch Liverpool if they happen to play at 3pm, granted I'm lucky as we're televised alot but the few times it happens it does almost ruin the weekend. I'm either pissed off I'm not watching it or getting frustrated with the usually questionable quality of the means I'm forced to go to to get my fix. I do plan my weekends around LFC and the other big matches, so when I have to plan in a 3pm KO and I don't get a decent stream it frustrates me no end, we've a 3pm kick off on my birthday and I'm already annoyed I'll have to deal with that 😂

However I understand why it exists and I think that's all well and good, I know the die hards say they'd still go local and lower down the pyramid and all that but I do think televised games would impact clubs. 

I just don't get why they don't just do away with Premier League 3pm kick offs tbh. Give the lower leagues a complete window to be the focus. Obviously that would make fitting the other games on Tele awkward, especially in regards to traveling supporters. Would just spreading the 3pm fixtures across the 12.30, 5.30 and 7-8pm kick off times work? Maybe have an extra game on Sunday? I dunno but in this day and age I do think matches should be available live. Everyone knows streams exists and thousands are forced to watch them.

Removing it would wreck clubs like Weymouth. The fans down the ground who happen to also support Manchester United, etc, would definitely disappear and all you’d be left with is the old boys whose whole life’s have been built around watching the team.

35 minutes ago, Rob said:

Removing it would wreck clubs like Weymouth. The fans down the ground who happen to also support Manchester United, etc, would definitely disappear and all you’d be left with is the old boys whose whole life’s have been built around watching the team.

That's why I think they should just separate the kick off times like they do aboard. Obviously I know away fans and the bigger pyramid is more of an English thing but it is daft we aren't able to watch half the matches. 

Even Ronaldo’s debut for Manchester United against us isn’t on tv as it’s a 3pm kick off, not that I’m complaining as I don’t fancy seeing us get hammered. But it should be televised in the UK. Totally agree for smaller clubs though, but like @Ashez said separate  kick off times like they do in Spain etc.

Here in Aus, all of the matches are available to watch live.

Given I'm 8 hours ahead so a 3pm kick off is actually 11pm... I look forward to the 12pm kick offs as it means I don't have to stay up too late ;)

I very rarely get up for the late kick offs mid-week as o generally have to get up about 5:30 for work so I usually can check the score for the last few minutes of the game. That Everton game was a prime example. I looked at my phone, saw we were 2 nil down, went in the shower came out and saw we were 2-2 I was very confused!

I don't think having the games available on TV/the internet will stop people going to the games. I know initially they were trying to stop people just going to the pub and losing the match revenue. But if anything last season proved that the match revenue isn't that important. Yes it's needed. But it's not the be all and end all. It would just mean clubs have to accept there's slightly less money available. After a few years and if player prices came down accordingly it would all settle out.

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

Poor Harvey Elliot, looked horrific😢

It looked awful mate. So glad its just a disclocation and not a broken ankle. Less of 2 evils 😕

1 minute ago, Woody said:

It looked awful mate. So glad its just a disclocation and not a broken ankle. Less of 2 evils 😕

Ohh that’s good news, I hadn’t seen any news on it. I tore my ligaments in my ankle 15 years ago and it still affects me 😳

Just now, Rich said:

Ohh that’s good news, I hadn’t seen any news on it. I tore my ligaments in my ankle 15 years ago and it still affects me 😳

Ouch! I did something similar. 

Mine tendons shredded....looked like string cheese 😂

I'm still gutted now, one them moments the second it happens you just feel sick. Sucked the joy out of a very enjoyable match. 

The club have announced he's out of hospital and having surgery in the coming days. 

Everyone see Klopp's interview? He was obviously shook up. 

Klopp says it's a dislocation and it was put back in, he also says he knew something was wrong as his foot was facing the wrong way 🤢. I can't handle shit like that not going to lie haha. 

Trying not to get caught up in non official stuff but seen a few people say an ankle dislocation usually also ends with a break due to how the socket is, but all reports just say the dislocation ATM. 

Klopp said against Burnley letting more tackles go will lead to injuries, for once I wish he was wrong but more often than not he's proven right. Burnley kicked the shit out of Elliott and everyone mocked Klopp for moaning, now Elliott is out for who knows how long. A daft needless challenge from behind might have ruined a career that looked incredibly bright. Don't get me wrong I want a contact sport but players need protection and the more that's let go the more they'll push the limits, I agree this was an accidental injury with no intent but it was a rash challenge. 

This time last year we lost VVD and Thiago to disgusting challenges and now Elliott.