Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games Challenge Cup XI

Results schedule

11PM - Group C (BatiGoal, anfieldsquirrel, AndersJ)

11:30PM - Group D (PriZe*, Real_Random, Ashez)

12AM - Group B (samhardy, Rocket, Risheek, Dianto Billy Nova)

12:30AM - Group A (Taff, Damilare, Brenty92, Krenzar)

1AM - Full results review

31 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Results schedule

11PM - Group C (BatiGoal, anfieldsquirrel, AndersJ)

11:30PM - Group D (PriZe*, Real_Random, Ashez)

12AM - Group B (samhardy, Rocket, Risheek, Dianto Billy Nova)

12:30AM - Group A (Taff, Damilare, Brenty92, Krenzar)

1AM - Full results review

So I'll see you all in the morning to see how poorly some of us did, and how well @samhardy did

13 minutes ago, BatiGoal said:

My morning coffee will either taste great or terrible :)

no worries -  it will taste really good - im sure of it :D

11 minutes ago, AndersJ said:

no worries -  it will taste really good - im sure of it :D

Danish humor or Danish sarcasm. Time will tell :D whatever happens surely our group represents on of the finalists ;)

Results - Group C (BatiGoal, anfieldsquirrel, AndersJ)

Here we go then with the results from the group stages and first up is Group C which looked like a fascinating match up from the moment it was drawn. BatiGoal rightly started as the favourite after a fantastic year whilst it was thought it would be between anfieldsquirrel and AndersJ to see who would progress as group runners up. Without further ado, let's see how the results came in.

BatiGoal

The runaway group favourite was the first to submit and as expected produced an explosive performance to go with his run in qualifying. Finishing 2nd with a hopeless team of Vigo reserves only to be beaten to the league by Madrid is some achievement, and he also nearly produced a fairytale by reaching the final of the Europa League. 

Despite not thinking it at the time, it was an almost flawless performance with the only downside being that Vigo B didn't seem to get an invitation to the party as they deducted 9 points from his overall score. I would try and create drama but the reality is that this was by far and away the best performance in the group stage and if there was a pole position then BatiGoal would comprehensively be taking it. As expected he won the group, but it was by an absolutely crushing margin. Over 100 points. Impressive stuff.

Total - 128

anfieldsquirrel v AndersJ - The battle for the Q/F's

So as expected it came down to anfieldsquirrel and AndersJ to see who would be joining BG in the quarter finals but I don't think either manager was prepared for the struggles they faced over the course of their respective seasons. There really aren't many highlights so let's just let the numbers do the talking.

League points:

AS: 44; AJ: 36 (Live score: AS 44-36 AJ)

Like I said, not great... Both managers struggled. What next?

Goal difference:

AS: -8; AJ: -25 (Live score: AS 36-11 AJ)

Whoops...

Cup rounds passed:

AS: 4; AJ: 0 (Live score: AS 44-11 AJ)

So AS holds a lead at this point but with the amount of points they both have in the league it's going to go down to bonus points... Sorry minus points!

Bonus points:

AS: -47 (Total - -3)

A huge gap between Vigo's two sides meaning anfieldsquirrel finishes in the minuses...

AJ: -52 (Total - -41)

But -52 points for AndersJ means a relieved, lucky squirrel squeaks through to the quarter finals despite being in minus points! Unbelievable!

Group C - Full results:

Spoiler
  1. BatiGoal - 128
  2. anfieldsquirrel - -3
  3. AndersJ - -41

Results - Group D (PriZe*, Real_Random, Ashez)

This was seen as the group of death by many and it's easy to see why, three top quality managers all battling for two spots in the quarter finals, a battle which would see one make an early exit from the competition. Personally I was excited to see the results and since I'm sure you all are too I won't keep you waiting any longer!

PriZe

Reigning champion PriZe was first to submit and the best word to describe his performance with a relatively weak Sociedad team is 'solid'. Points were well rounded and came in from all areas but like many competitors his B team took points from his total. He managed to win the cup and secure a hard-earned 4th place finish in the league with a cool +25 goal difference. The only down side was the 10 points taken from him via his B team's performance. A good, but not unbeatable score of 109; would that be enough to win the group, or even get through?

Total - 109

Real_Random

Next to submit results was Real_Random and an inconsistent season coupled with trouble finding the back of the net really stopped him from producing fireworks. That being said, he still only finished a place behind PriZe in 5th albeit with a worse goal difference. RR didn't last very long in the cup so couldn't add to his score in that aspect, and the ever spiteful B team took 18 points from the score. To be honest it was a pretty average score which was extremely beatable, but the solid league performance will surely help him if it gets tight towards the end.

Total - 67

Ashez

Ashez has been saying all along that being placed in a group of death would make him gain motivation and increase his performance levels. With a beatable score on the table and the FMM gods producing the goods, could this managerial enigma hold up his end of the bargain? Let's all expect fireworks and take a closer look:

League points - 37

Excuse me? 37? Hang on a minute... Sorry we're experiencing technical difficulties here... Nope I've double checked and Ashez has only produced 37 league points! Oh dear. Could this possibly get any worse for him?

Goal difference - -23

The answer is a resounding yes! Another 23 points taken off his score as this is threatening to be a complete and utter humiliation. Never mind though, surely he'll be able to kick start his season in the cups, right?

Cup rounds passed - 0

Ashez racks up 0 points from cups meaning he's now effectively out of the competition and is simply now playing to stay out of the minuses. Haha, at least he won't suffer the embarrassment of finishing in minus points.

Bonus points - -51

Total - -37

I have no words...

Group D - Full results:

Spoiler
  1. PriZe* - 109
  2. Real_Random - 67
  3. Ashez - -37

Results - Group B (samhardy, Rocket, Risheek, Dianto Billy Nova)

I'm going to start off with a disclaimer: if you want to see drama then look away right now. Turn off your device and go straight to sleep. In what looked like an exciting group on paper, only two of the four members of the group submitted results. Rocket and Dianto Billy Nova were the no shows, but let's focus on the two scores in what turned out to be by far the easiest team to manage in Valencia: high scores are to be expected.

Risheek

For the second consecutive round Risheek was the first to submit results but if his performances continue like this then there's no reason why he should stop powering through the seasons. He won the league narrowly ahead of Atletico and even managed to secure some actual positive bonus points finishing 9 points ahead of Valencia Mestalla. Only the two cup rounds passed and struggled to score in the league but the watertight defence kept some of the world's best attacks at bay and played a major role in Risheek's march to an above average score of 140.

Total - 140

samhardy

A day later qualifying champion samhardy submitted his results and, like Risheek won the league title but was pushed all the way by Barca and Real. Valencia finished on 92 points, 3 ahead of Barca and had a nice goal difference of +27. He also managed to win the cup by thrashing Barca 6-1 in the final thanks to an inspired performance from signing Vincent Aboubakar. At this stage, Sam was only narrowly ahead of his group mate but Valencia Mestalla slumped to a miserable 4th place finish, a massive 27 points behind the first team meaning that was more than enough for him to top the group.

Total - 187

Group B - Full results:

Spoiler
  1. samhardy - 187
  2. Risheek - 140
  3. Rocket - 0
  4. Dianto Billy Nova - 0

Results - Group A (Taff, Damilare, Brenty92, Krenzar)

Group A now and this turned out to be by far the toughest group, so it's a credit to all the competitors who submitted who managed to all finish the right side of 0. A tasty group was expected and it turned out to be pretty close; Taff started as the group favourite but any one of the others were capable of springing a surprise. Unfortunately due to internet related issues however, Brenty92 had to pull out leaving the other three battling for two spots.

Krenzar

Krenzar was the first to submit results in this group and struggled to gain any kind of momentum throughout the season which was to be expected with such a poor squad at his disposal. In the end a 14th place finish wasn't too bad at all, however a poor goal difference and the fact his B team finished 23 points ahead of him meant there wasn't really much chance of racking up a big score. There were however a couple of good runs in the cups, and, given how tight his league was in the end Krenzar can feel a tad unfortunate to finish on a score of 15. 

Total - 15

Taff

The next results to come in belonged to the group favourite Taff. His results were also inconsistent, however Taff was able to grind out vital wins and keep in touch with the big 3 for most of the season, in the end finishing in a very impressive 4th place. A good run in Europe and a positive goal difference meant despite feeling otherwise Taff could be pretty satisfied with his season, despite losing 17 points due to the actions of his B team. Not bad at all overall, especially considering how tough Villarreal were to manage in this challenge!

Total - 77

Damilare

Damilare kept it exciting by submitting his results relatively late in the week, and, unfortunately for Krenzar his results were very similar to Taff's. There were only a couple of points and places separating them in the league as Villarreal were led to a 6th place finish. There were also a couple of good cup runs thrown into the mix as well securing Damilare's place in the quarter finals, and he could have easily sprung a surprise and topped the group but was always a couple of points behind and the B team finishing 22 points ahead of him meant he had to settle for group runner up.

Total - 70

Group A - Full results:

Spoiler
  1. Taff - 77
  2. Damilare - 70
  3. Krenzar - 15
  4. Brenty92 - 0

A few seconds early @samhardy by my watch that post :P 

Excellent write ups Sam! I was gripped so I'm glad I avoided the running totals for this round, even if that was more in disappointing than wanting a few mins of excitement at the reveal haha. 

As for my performance I knew I'd ballsed it up but like always I have an idea where I went wrong and I've learnt from it so I can't complain. As I said in my career thread my strength comes from my tests, planning and notes so without them I'm half the player. Never mind then using an engine I have limited experience on and get frustrated with instantly haha. I just couldn't get enough goals without conceding a stupid amount which led to me playing too cautiously I feel, in many ways I gave the engine too much respect and tried to play safe which backfired. Tbh I'm somewhat relieved to be exiting as I couldn't have lost to two better players and I wasn't enjoying the playing aspect of being involved. I loved being involved in the thread and with the planning but when it came to the actual playing it became a chore haha. In fairness I half expected to bomb out in qualifying so I'm reasonably happy with a spot in the top ten. 

Anyway congrats to everyone who progressed and best of luck in the next rounds :) 

Great write ups, Sam. And my coffee couldn't have tasted any better :) and congrats to all that have progressed!

I think the key to my own successful campaign was the two players we were allowed to bring back from the original squad. My formation needs a quality assister and quality goalscorer. If I have this vital pairing in my team half the work is done. So it was a simple move bringing back assist king Aspas and goal hero Guidetti (with 54 gls this man killed it!) The rest of the team was average at best with a poor defensive line so picking two reliable CBs from the market was the obvious choice. Particularly Maidana (3.8M) what a top CD for his pricetag, highly recommend this guy. So a decent back and front resulted in a solid score.

Happy to have reached the final 8 but there's no easy match-up at this point anymore I feel. I'm ready for whoever the manager and whatever the challenge is awaiting in the Quarters.

Thanks also to those who didn't make it. Crash and learn as they say. In fact, I'm crashing and learning on the OME as we speak for whatever CC may come next ;)

First off WOW fantastic write up @samhardy gripping and couldn't take my eyes off of the screen, and you have given every last competitor huge respect

As for the scores HUGE props to yourself, for the massive score and obviously too @Risheek, @BatiGoal and @PriZe as well for some truly incredible performances.

Very pleased to have topped the group but was a very close run thing between myself and @Damilare.  Shame to lose @Brenty92 to his internet and family issues but I'm sure he would have done very well 

congrats to all the competitors who have progressed and well done but commiserations to those leaving the CC.

Challenge Cup XI - Quarter Final draw

After a fascinating group stage we're back with the draw for the quarter final stage, the start of the business end of the tournament. Similar to last time, group winners can't face each other at this stage and you can't be paired with someone who was in your group, however this competition sees the return of the random draw rather than the predetermined schedule that was in place last competition. So with that in mind let's take a look at the quarter final matchups.

BatiGoal v Damilare

First out of the hat is Group C landslide winner BatiGoal and he will take on Damilare who was extremely close to winning his own group. Will Damilare be able to push BG as much as he did to Taff in this intriguing looking matchup?

PriZe* v Risheek

Reigning champion PriZe will face Group B runner up Risheek in the quarter final stages. Both have proven they are capable of big scores in the past so expect an explosive affair here as both look to book their places in the semi finals.

Taff v anfieldsquirrel

This is a tie that is good for all parties, both competitors will likely be pleased with the draw and it'll be fascinating to look on from a neutral point of view. Taff has demonstrated so far why he's one of the favourites for the tournament but can AS roll back the years and produce a performance capable of knocking out the Welshman?

samhardy v Real_Random

The final names out of the hat see a repeat of last tournament's semi final. RR doesn't seem to have hit his best yet in this competition however you'd expect that to arrive soon and if does happen then expect to see two high scores as he attempts to knockout last tournament runner up samhardy who won Group B in the last round.