Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic World Football

rafa

Sometimes I wonder what foreigners know about portuguese football/portuguese team. How would you rate our league? On par with the french and dutch? Any players you admire or would like to have in your club?

I don't think the portuguese leagues are as good as the dutch or french as I feel that those leagues have better teams and ones that can do well in the champions league, like PSG, Lyonns and Ajax. If I could pick player to join United it would definatley be Joao Moutinho

Just recently you had Porto, Benfica and Braga in the Europa League semifinals :)

Without a doubt, Porto had the most recent success in european competitions, but Braga, Sporting and Benfica didn't do that bad, compared to dutch or french teams.

I believe that our biggest downside is the economic situation in the country, meaning the stadiums are semi-empty (except for the bigger teams), which results in less earnings for the clubs (tv rights included).

João Moutinho is amazing and I wanted him on my team when he was at Sporting. He's one of the most valuable players in Porto, essential in our team.

I suppose that is pretty Good acctually it is amazing having all those teams in the semi-finals tbh, but i dont really follow the europa (apart from when Man United where in it last season)

The economic situtaion has a big part to play in foootball as most of south america is poor and still has some good teams

I don't think the portuguese leagues are as good as the dutch or french as I feel that those leagues have better teams and ones that can do well in the champions league, like PSG, Lyonns and Ajax. If I could pick player to join United it would definatley be Joao Moutinho

Well that doesn't work, because none of those teams were in pot 1 of the champions league group draw. Porto were.

Well that doesn't work, because none of those teams were in pot 1 of the champions league group draw. Porto were.

According to the UEFA league rankings, the Portuguese League is the 6th best in the continent, and there are big possibilities for it to overtake the 5th place from France this year.

Netherlands is 8th place, but quite likely to be 7th next season.

Current top 10 leagues according to UEFA:

1 Spain 84.311

2 England 77.820

3 Germany 75.186

4 Italy 60.814

5 France 57.666

6 Portugal 56.168

7 Ukraine 49.258

8 Netherlands 44.443

9 Russia 43.665

10 Belgium 34.200

Don't really follow it much, but I'm sure there's some quality players there like Guarin, before we signed him I had no idea about him and now a year later I think he's quality for us, absolute tank for us in midfield with a great shot on him too.

Any idea where Scotland is Rafa? Maybe 50th :lol:

Scotland is currently 24th, just below Sweden. They probably will overtake the Swedes next season though :)

That's bad considering our champions beat barca and are in the last 16 of the champions league. Mind you, the rest of the Scottish teams are horse shit! Apart from Killie mind ;)

That's bad considering our champions beat barca and are in the last 16 of the champions league. Mind you, the rest of the Scottish teams are horse shit! Apart from Killie mind ;)

The country coefficient is the average of its clubs' coefficients in European competitions. So even if one club does well, by having a bunch of crappy clubs your score will be very low.

God, we've not got more than one team past the qualifiers in years :lol:

It'll take you quite some years as well as Rangers are at the bottom.

Belgium has been performing in recent years, yet we are only 15th(ish)

Belgium is currently 10th actually, after a good 2011-12 season (specially Standard Liege). But they have no more clubs currently competing in Europe in this season. Still, the 11th place is Greece that has no clubs either. Turkey is 12th, but they need both Galatasaray and Fenerbahce to get really far in order to go up the rankings.

So my guess is that Belgium will keep their 10th position by the end of the season.

God, we've not got more than one team past the qualifiers in years :lol:

It'll take you quite some years as well as Rangers are at the bottom.

Belgium has been performing in recent years, yet we are only 15th(ish)

Unless Killie get in Europe :P

Barcelona's recent demise – after losing at AC Milan in the Champions League and to Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey and La Liga – means the Catalan club has lost its lead at the top of the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS) Club World Ranking, which Chelsea currently heads, followed by Atlético de Madrid.

Barça has dropped down to fifth place, as the team has also been overtaken by Bayern Munich (Bundesliga leaders) and Corinthians (FIFA Club World Cup champions).

- Ranking:

.1. Chelsea (ENG) 307,0

.2. Atlético de Madrid (SPA) 304,0

.3. Bayern Múnich (GER) 292,0

.4. Corinthians (BRA) 287,0

.5. Barcelona (SPA) 283,0

.6. Boca Juniors (ARG) 281,0

.7. Real Madrid (SPA) 277,0

.8. Juventus (ITA) 241,0

.9. Inter Milán (ITA) 234,0

10. Sao Paulo (BRA) 230,0.

This ranking clearly doesn't represent the actual state of affair in world football.

So far, my favourite rankings are based on the ELO system.