Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fun/Games 2020 Vibe Premier League

samhardy

A slight spoiler alert here (but I assume you all did well) - this was my only defeat (and the end of Doyley's scoring streak). Yeah, I felt a bit hard done by :(

Screenshot_20200126-181731_FM20 Mobile.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Tree said:

A slight spoiler alert here (but I assume you all did well) - this was my only defeat (and the end of Doyley's scoring streak). Yeah, I felt a bit hard done by :(

Screenshot_20200126-181731_FM20 Mobile.jpg

He scored plenty for me but decided to not score in a match pretty early on so it looks like I’ve lost this one!

2 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

this was my only defeat

Glad you're peaking early. 👍 

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

He scored plenty for me but decided to not score in a match pretty early on so it looks like I’ve lost this one!

I almost believed you for a sec there. 

21 minutes ago, Kanegan said:

My streak is immortal with Doyle scoring in 1st 2 games and I got sacked after that. 😮

Shoot. You lasted longer than I did then. 

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

yeah this was the 4th match so not a long streak for me either. think it's all going to be very tight, so you might salvage a draw :) he got 17 for me overall, good lad. Chuma (in the prev screenshot) was my only money signing, great pick up though, he and Doyle had a great partnership up top.

*sits back and watched everyone now act like they don’t care about the results, when they are actually frantically refreshing the page awaiting Sam’s post*

54 minutes ago, Rob said:

*sits back and watched everyone now act like they don’t care about the results, when they are actually frantically refreshing the page awaiting Sam’s post*

pfft, not me, couldn't care less, got work to do...

*refresh*

34 minutes ago, Woody said:

I need points but it maybe too little too late 😢

nah no worries mate, we're gonna rise from the bottom, plenty of time yet!

8 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

nah no worries mate, we're gonna rise from the bottom, plenty of time yet!

Surely you will as after this round, i am taking the bottom spot.

Week 4 Results

This week saw us hit and pass the halfway stage of the 2020 VPL which adds even more significance on all fixtures as the race for the playoffs intensifies. Who put in a good performance on the “bridge week” and is sitting pretty for the final 3 games?

@smoggy90 v @Woody

Spoiler

There is no denying that it’s getting to “must win” territory for both of these now, a defeat this week would mean an uphill struggle to finish in the top 4. Let’s see how they got on.

Smoggy had a good run in the league, comfortably ahead of any other team in the league as he secured 56 points from his half-season. Doyle’s streak got underway in the 6th game but a disastrous follow up match saw him miss a penalty and fail to score meaning it was over before it had begun! What a time in the season for a bit of bad luck but it is what it is and Smoggy could only add 2 bonus points to his total.

Woody can’t complain at a lack of opportunities this season, passing a couple of good chances for wins by already but here he finds himself with another one. But just taking the league into account he could have made it hard for himself again, picking up 11 less points than his opponent meaning he needed a streak of 7 games or more to surpass Smoggy’s total and realistically a few more to get a winning score.

Finally though Woody turned up to the party and managed an impressive 13 game streak, which means he finished well ahead points wise of Smoggy and this was enough to get Woody his first win of the season at the 4th time of asking. A disastrous result for Smoggy though stemming from the penalty miss and to add insult to injury results elsewhere in the league sees him drop to the foot of the table.

Result - smoggy90 0-1 Woody

@Crashhart v @Ian

Spoiler

This looked a very exciting game on paper with the only two unbeaten records in the league on the line. Ian is potentially only a win away from qualifying already if previous years are anything to go by whereas Crash is enjoying a fine debut season in the VPL.

And it was two early submissions here and two phenomenal league records. Crash only dropped points in 3 of the 23 games, whilst Ian managed to go the whole challenge unbeaten league wise. It all comes down to the streak then! Exciting stuff.

Doyle only managed to net in 4 consecutive games for Ian before a cup match against Everton ended that which really opens the door for Crash. Which he walked right through! He nearly managed Woody’s impressive streak of 13 but 12 was the consecutive games he scored in to post a very meaty score indeed!

Crash does a job on Ian with Doyle and that was enough to not just get the win, but also the top score of the round after knocking on that door for the first 3 weeks of the season and also leapfrog Ian to top the league! A very consistent campaign so far and the rewards are coming as he sits top of the pile, a tough defeat for Ian but he’s still nicely placed.

Result - Crashhart 3-1 Ian

@Kanegan v @BatiGoal

Spoiler

Both Kane and Bati definitely have playoff ambitions however both come into this one on the back of a defeat last week. Which if either of them got back on track with a win this week?

It was definitely Bati who made the stronger start, achieving a lot more success in the league. Kane struggled a bit to 44 points, but mentioned in his message that he was focusing mostly on the streak. Nothing wrong with that but a bit risky, Bati however posted a much more “like it” total of 55 points giving him an advantage and some leeway with Doyle.

The Dutchman really solidified his position in this encounter with a solid 10 game streak, adding another 20 hard earned points to his total and setting Kane a brutal target of 16+ streak to get past his total. I mentioned though that Kane was going all in for the streak and well... It paid off!! Unbelievable streak from Doyle going an absolute monster 22 games without failing to bust the net! This killed Bati as despite a weak league run Kane soars past the Dutchman to take a spectacular win and condemn Bati to back to back defeats.

It seems odd that such a performance isn’t enough for the bonus point but Kane fell just short of Crash. He returns back to the top 4 whilst Bati drops to 3rd.

Result - Kanegan 3-2 BatiGoal

@MikeF v @Mr Tree

Spoiler

Mike has arguably been the manager of the tournament so far posting the highest score in 2 of the 3 weeks so far, but only finds himself 3rd. Tree has struggled a bit so far but responded well in week 2 after a poor opener so could he do that again after last week?

Mike however never really got anything going in the challenge full stop. The league was a bit underwhelming, dropping points in 11 games finishing on just 43 points, and a disappointing streak of just 4 games meant it turned out to be a disappointing week for the form man. Doyle managed to bang in 34 goals for him but it’s only the first streak that counts.

Which means, like Woody in the opener, this was a golden chance for Tree to lose his goose egg in the win column. And he managed to do it from the league alone!! That’s right, 60 league points was instantly enough for Tree to secure 3 points thanks to Smoggy’s total splitting that of Tree and Mike. The streak only lasted 3 games but that won’t matter a jot to Tree as, just like Woody, at the 4th time of asking he is off and running, and dare I say it only 3 points off the playoff positions!

This campaign of Mike’s just gets more bizarre by the week as despite only being 3rd after 3 weeks after 2 of the top scores, he now finds himself being deducted a point for posting the lowest in this round!

Result - MikeF 0-1 Mr Tree

What a week that was! Everything has been well and truly opened up in the race for the top 4. Here’s the scorelist in full:

Spoiler
  • Crashhart - 86
  • Kanegan - 84
  • BatiGoal - 77
  • Woody - 71
  • Ian - 69
  • Mr Tree - 66
  • smoggy90 - 58
  • MikeF - 51

The league table is tight, anything can happen from here. Crash and Ian lead the way on 9, one more win should see them over the line you’d think. From there though it’s anyone’s game, Bati and Kane hold 3rd and 4th respectively but Mike is breathing down their necks whilst the table is much better viewing for Tree and Woody this afternoon, Smoggy though is really struggling and probably is going to need to win all 3 of his remaining games.

Remember if two managers are tied on points the following is used for a tiebreak:

1. The result of the match between the two
  2. If it was a draw, then overall points scored in the competition.

image.png.2290c6bd85706c0b8fefdef22006e535.png

bloomin' eck Kane, that's awesome!

i was getting ready to celebrate over here, then i looked up and see that the amazing @Ianis my opponent for next week, and of course it's a bloody Sam challenge too, so anything better than 0-3 will be a moral victory :D

Well done @Crashhart, a fine performance. I’ve been trying a few new things recently for lone strikers when in reality I should’ve just stuck with my original system.

I’m still well placed in the table and will attempt to bounce back.

7 minutes ago, MikeF said:

I had an absolute stinker there. He scored in every game apart from the 4th one so ended my streak early. 
Well played @Mr Tree.

oof, sounds like i dodged a bullet then - i'd have been gutted, cos i was quite pleased with myself (more than 10pts clear in the league), although of course i know the competition is pretty impressive here.

now, to stop Ian bouncing back!

to beat Sam's challenge, you must think like Sam........................... argh, this is terrifying, let me out!!!

44 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

bloomin' eck Kane, that's awesome!

i was getting ready to celebrate over here, then i looked up and see that the amazing @Ianis my opponent for next week, and of course it's a bloody Sam challenge too, so anything better than 0-3 will be a moral victory :D

Good luck. You don’t need to be scared of me.

Wow, finally a win. Don't fret @BatiGoal, you will definitely bounce back. 

And thanks @Mr Tree, yup that streak saved me in the end.

Well, the reality is Doyle first banged for the first 14 games and then came the Bradford City but till that point, we had won very less so i thought let me focus on the streak. To my amazement, Doyle continued after the Bradford game and took his streak to 22 and then we had 40 odd points from the league so i thought the streak could save me but never thought it will be the second highest score of the week. 😁

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Well done @Crashhart, a fine performance. I’ve been trying a few new things recently for lone strikers when in reality I should’ve just stuck with my original system.

I’m still well placed in the table and will attempt to bounce back.

Cheers Ian good game!, been testing out a 3 at the back one striker system and it looks like it paid off