Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

2 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

Screenshot_20211231-124907__01.thumb.jpg.05ea775b9cec6dc2b275b3370e42c6db.jpg

This is good news for us. Now a full two weeks to sign nee players and get them ready for two weeks team against Watford. I'm hoping for 6 new players in this window, 3/4 of who will be signed before the Watford Game 

Fingers crossed mate, I hope we do business early but only if it’s the right business. The rumours are ridiculous, so many linked, I’m trying not read as much about it, but can’t help myself 😂

3 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

@samhardy

Did you go? My mates a Wednesday fan, we sat and watched it on Ifollow, Wednesday were a shambles.

Nah, been well out of the routine of going this season, been to more away games than home. I’m convinced that’s why we’re doing so well at home now :P We’ve won 5-0 three times!

2 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

No signings yet? 🙄 What a boring transfer window 🤣😴

It’s shocking mate, should at least have 10 in by now.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

We’ve bid for Trippier now, so not hanging about. Nice to see.

Screenshot_20220101-111055__01.thumb.jpg.3910e0e168b6206178a190a05eebcda0.jpg

Was legit about to post this. We ain't messing about!

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

We’ve bid for Trippier now, so not hanging about. Nice to see.

22 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

Screenshot_20220101-111055__01.thumb.jpg.3910e0e168b6206178a190a05eebcda0.jpg

Was legit about to post this. We ain't messing about!

Great! We've drawn attention to it so he can publicly reject us. 👌🤣

All jokes aside. Would be a decent signing. As myself and @Rich discussed previously on this page, would improve us going forward.

1 minute ago, Dai_ said:

Great! We've drawn attention to it so he can publicly reject us. 👌🤣

All jokes aside. Would be a decent signing. As myself and @Rich discussed previously on this page, would improve us going forward.

He is ideal for us, England international, plenty premier League experience. I'm worried Chelsea might try best us to sign him to replace James/Chillwell who I think are both out til end of season 

1 minute ago, AdamNufc said:

He is ideal for us, England international, plenty premier League experience. I'm worried Chelsea might try best us to sign him to replace James/Chillwell who I think are both out til end of season 

Couldn't compete with what they have to offer a player. 

I'm excited that we've started no early. Amanda said they had been working hard preparing for this window, let's see some more. 🙌

The Chronicle are reporting we are at an advanced stage, just the fee we need to sort out. That’s surprised me, no idea how right they are or ever are. I won’t believe it until he’s wearing our shirt!

It'll be interesting to see what price/wages/deal if we actually get him, as I think it'll be an indication of how much we're going to get fleeced by other clubs. Plus it'll show if we're throwing out the current wage structure.

Just need another CD, LB, ST and probably a midfield playmaker, I can see them going for a deep lying one rather than an attacking playmaker, to try and shore up the midfield as it seems a bit... weak... at the moment.

28 minutes ago, Woody said:

Now I know this isn't true because it's steak bake! 😉

I didn’t even pick up on that, shame on you @AdamNufc😂

Im a chicken bake man myself😝

3 hours ago, Woody said:

Now I know this isn't true because it's steak bake! 😉

Ha ha only just noticed this 

added 0 minutes later

Screenshot_20220101-231657__01.thumb.jpg.86acd2fed02227720e712c84b4caa997.jpg

This is a move I suggested in the pub the other week after his fall out with Arsenal.

Would love to see it happen 

1 hour ago, AdamNufc said:

Ha ha only just noticed this 

added 0 minutes later

Screenshot_20220101-231657__01.thumb.jpg.86acd2fed02227720e712c84b4caa997.jpg

This is a move I suggested in the pub the other week after his fall out with Arsenal.

Would love to see it happen 

didnt we try to get him before he went to Dortmund?

11 hours ago, Woody said:

didnt we try to get him before he went to Dortmund?

Yeah we did, I remember signing him on FM because of it 😂

I would take him on loan for sure, but I wouldn’t want him permanent, I want us to build a younger team and one that’s gives it’s all personally.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yeah we did, I remember signing him on FM because of it 😂

I would take him on loan for sure, but I wouldn’t want him permanent, I want us to build a younger team and one that’s gives it’s all personally.

Tbh I think he has had his day. He is too flash now.

49 minutes ago, Rich said:

Mo Salah the bets player to watch in the world by a mile for me 😍

Don't know what it is but I can't bring myself to like him at all. No doubting he's a very good player but I don't think I'll ever enjoy watching him. Its strange. I have nothing against Liverpool so no reason to dislike him.... 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Dai_ said:

Don't know what it is but I can't bring myself to like him at all. No doubting he's a very good player but I don't think I'll ever enjoy watching him. Its strange. I have nothing against Liverpool so no reason to dislike him.... 🤷‍♂️

I love Salah, I really do. He's broke every record and scores like noone I've ever seen for Liverpool. Yet I get what you mean, I don't love him like I did Torres (first footballing heartbreak so noone will compare) and I enjoyed watching Suarez more. 

Suarez is the best player I've seen in the Premier League, he not only could do anything but he could do the unthinkable and do actual magic. You never knew what he'd do next, he was just on another level. We debate if Salah is up there with Ronaldo and Messi, yet for that period with Suarez it wasn't up for debate and at that point Messi and Ronaldo were in their prime and not on their way out. 

With Salah it's almost too predictable, not boring but you know what will happen instantly. He'll run away and do the same finish over and over again, his consistency in recent years has been unbelievable and that's likely what edges him beyond Suarez as Salah just makes everything look easy. It's like Robben, you knew what he was planning but you just can't stop him. With Suarez you had no idea what was coming so he was impossible to stop. 

Torres isn't in the conversation when Suarez and Salah are concerned but the Suarez Vs Salah conversation I find fascinating. 

I feel stupid saying this as Salah is incredible, he truly is and I love watching him week in week out but something I can't describe or find is missing. Maybe it's just because the whole team is on another level now so I'm taking it for granted somewhat as previously Suarez and even Torres carried us, now we are a more equal team and even though Salah stands out he doesn't stand out as much.

Like Jota, I think he's ace and he reminds me of Torres alot, the type of goals he scores and the amount he does have been so important. Yet I still haven't warmed to him completely, I love his goals and his shit housery but I don't love him yet and I don't know why? I was talking about it at work and I think I just need time to adapt from Bobby. It's well known I love Firmino but Jota plays the role differently and isn't the dropping deep linker Bobby is so I think while Jota scores more he's less involved in general. 

Like today oh god we needed Firmino (and Gini 😭) as Jota couldn't hold onto the ball and he wasn't dropping deep to help a midfield massively out of its depth. Jota pops up with a big goal or moment but is often quiet, Bobby might not have that moment but you know he'll be buzzing around for the team. For the record Bobby's form has been awful for two years now so I wouldn't start him all the time but for the big games I think he adds alot as the ball sticks to him and his pressure and linking is better. 

I view Salah the same way I see Ronaldo (CR7). Great goal scorers but they fall short of being great players. 

When I use the word great, I truly mean great and not just really good. I also don't base great footballing ability around great stats. 

For me Maradona was a better player than Pele and Messi is head and shoulders above Ronaldo (CR7). 

Most of histories great players have multiple world class attributes and that's what makes them stand out as their generations best. Start removing attributes and the lesser players suffer whilst the great ones remain outstanding.

Ronaldo's pace has gone but his finishing remains. All those clips of step overs etc were not skill, they were because in the end he just knocked it past someone and outran them. You don't see him do that these days  No denying his goal getting, a great goal scorer without question. 

Messi on the other hand can still dazzle with his finishing, dribbling, passing and creativity and probably could until he decides to retire. That's why I think he's a great player. The greatest. 

That brings us back to Salah. He plays for Liverpool and there are two very good comparisons from that club. Fowler and Owen. Owen was devastating with his pace and finishing. A great scorer of goals for 2 or 3 seasons. Loses his pace and it's over.  Fowler a sublime finisher but never had that pace to put him in the highest bracket. Examples of where one or two outstanding attributes can make you very good but not great. 

Let's use our imaginary editor and drop Salah's pace down 5 or 6 marks. He's gone in my opinion. He relies so much on his pace to get into those goal scoring positions that without it, there's hardly a player left. Can we move him into the middle of midfield to dictate the game or act as a creative force. No, he's a one trick pony all be it a very good trick , amongst the very best goal scorers in the past 5 years but he's one pace sapping injury away from being a bang average premiership player. Suarez is/was miles ahead of him. Now he was a baller. 

I would certainly put someone like Alan Shearer above Mo in an all time list however I would still list them both as great goal scorers and not great players. Shearer had so much more to his game and adapted through injury. Salah couldn't possibly adapt as his entire game is based on speed and acceleration.

As for likeable. It's easy to dislike other teams better players. Especially someone who wins so many points for them. Objectively my issues with him are his diving (which has improved a little lately to be fair) and his lack of teamwork. Again his teamwork seems to have improved more recently but I've lost count of the times he was selfish with other players in better positions. He certainly would have drove me bonkers at times if I played with him. 

I suppose it boils down to what you like, Messi, Cruyff, Ronaldinho hell even Matt Le Tis float my boat. Those people with God given ability that would still be great in their 60s with big beer bellies (standard belly for Matt)

Glad my comment got some debate going 😁

Just wanted to say he’s not my favourite player just really enjoy watching him right now, you watch a game that he’s in you’re guaranteed to see a goal at least and goals are my favourite thing to see especially the way he finishes so calmly. I don’t like Ronaldo and I’ve always been a Messi fan and he’s my favourite of all time I’d say. I must have a thing for left footed footballers maybe 🤔😂

The 3rd already...... saw a comment that if Newcastle were serious about this they'd have had 1 or 2 ready to go for Jan 1st. Your thoughts? :) nervous times....

Massive win for us yesterday, having struggled for most of the game. Ajer back imminently, Raya and Dasilva in February... We might just survive! 

9 minutes ago, Mr Tree said:

The 3rd already...... saw a comment that if Newcastle were serious about this they'd have had 1 or 2 ready to go for Jan 1st. Your thoughts? :) nervous times....

Massive win for us yesterday, having struggled for most of the game. Ajer back imminently, Raya and Dasilva in February... We might just survive! 

Think us getting the transfer team sorted not that long ago may have affected things, hopefully Trippier sorted soon and then we make moves fast 😁

Yeah massive points for you guys, you are safe for me, probably need the lowest amount of points to stay up this season, already 12 ahead of us as well!