Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Challenges How Far Can You Take Them?

How Far Can You Take Them?

This is a very basic concept but the simple ones are often the best! It’s often the case in football where after gaining promotion managers stay too loyal to the group of players that got them up the previous season and struggle in the higher league instead of trying to fully push on.

image.jpeg.4cbfdf938ef302c2d188e1e4b57dda95.jpeg
Torquay United celebrate winning the National League South in 2019

The challenge essentially is to see how far up the English football ladder you can get with the starting squad. Absolutely no transfers in at any point during the challenge, that’s the only rule, and frees/loans/greys/academy players are barred too. The squad you start with will be staying with you all the way and that’s the squad you’ll finish with.

The Challenge will last 10 seasons. Your score will be the league and position you end the 10th season in, so if you finish the 28/29 season 18th in the Championship that will be your score.

Other Things To Clear Up

• You must start with a team in either the National League North or South.
  • You can sell players but it’s not advised considering they can’t be replaced :P
  • You can use loan players for the first season that are already at the club, but can’t sign them after the season finishes.
  • No cheating or reloading etc

Leaderboard

2 minutes ago, Titjes said:

Nice challenge mate. One question though, what about youth players from the academy? 🤔

Didn’t think about that!

No, not allowed. Purely the original players. Will add to the OP :)

Fantastic challenge. Most careers I don't post here I start with that very idea to keep the original squad players for as long as possible. But then still end up replacing them "too soon". You gave me one more reason to continue playing the game 👍 

@samhardy

What about players on loan season you start ? What if retirements leave you short ? 
There is one problem with VN teams they start with 0 reserve team players and a bunch of loan players so might not even have enough players to get to Season 2. As I was going thru rosters 10 seasons gonna also need a bunch of 25 and under players which not many have 11 or more thinking they be at 35 at season 10 if not retired before . 

Might need to switch to VNL teams as some have reserve players to start so should have enough players for 10 seasons . Same idea just different starting league ? 

Edited by DIRECTFX
9 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

@samhardy

What about players on loan season you start ? What if retirements leave you short ? 
There is one problem with VN teams they start with 0 reserve team players and a bunch of loan players so might not even have enough players to get to Season 2. As I was going thru rosters 10 seasons gonna also need a bunch of 25 and under players which not many have 11 or more thinking they be at 35 at season 10 if not retired before . 

Might need to switch to VNL teams as some have reserve players to start so should have enough players for 10 seasons . Same idea just different starting league ? 

I checked squads beforehand to make sure that wasn’t an issue - if you load England only you get more players. Here’s just one example, there’s plenty of players here that will last 10 seasons, an absolute minimum of 21 (plus there’s a load of late retirements this year anyway).

4639416F-A17F-4B1D-8929-7F094B6F2C7D.thumb.png.1caa8c0792198a974166acbd42f7277c.png

BBA8A424-DAB6-4C6F-A35F-0E72BE23F1DA.thumb.png.a7fa7172d6da634748c5915bc1064efd.png

You can use the loan players for the first season but can’t sign them permanently.

15 minutes ago, samhardy said:

I checked squads beforehand to make sure that wasn’t an issue - if you load England only you get more players. Here’s just one example, there’s plenty of players here that will last 10 seasons, an absolute minimum of 21 (plus there’s a load of late retirements this year anyway).

4639416F-A17F-4B1D-8929-7F094B6F2C7D.thumb.png.1caa8c0792198a974166acbd42f7277c.png

BBA8A424-DAB6-4C6F-A35F-0E72BE23F1DA.thumb.png.a7fa7172d6da634748c5915bc1064efd.png

You can use the loan players for the first season but can’t sign them permanently.

Ok that’s better I just looking from career probably had 4 nations loaded . 
You going to try one or just making challenge ?

What screenshots should be posted ? Yearly transfer page so see no transfers in or just day 1 team and end of season 10 standing & roster ? 

Nice challenge. I’m sure most of us take a look at our reserve teams when starting a new save and evaluate them only to end up hardly using any of them. It’s a shame really as if you give some of the youngsters a chance you may well get a surprise.

38 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

Ok that’s better I just looking from career probably had 4 nations loaded . 
You going to try one or just making challenge ?

What screenshots should be posted ? Yearly transfer page so see no transfers in or just day 1 team and end of season 10 standing & roster ? 

Manager profile at the end should be enough for proof of no transfers I think but a transfer history every season to be on the safe side probably. A career thread would be the best way if you want to do season updates though.

Doubt I’ll be giving it a go, hardly played the game for 10 minutes never mind 10 seasons so far 😂

Good Challenge @samhardy, what I like about this mostly is the fact that your Tactics will probably have to change due to Injuries, so one game could be a 4-2-2-2, then the next could be a 4-3-3 as you might not have enough fully fit players, nice!!

Glad to see everyone likes it :)

Hopefully we see a good few people have a crack at it and get a few names on the leaderboard. I’m intrigued to see at what level it’ll start to get very difficult.

Around League 2 i recon if your lucky to get 2 promotions. Once those older lot start retiring your screwed.

Guarenteed sackings before the 10 years is up 😂