Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic English football

Davis

1 minute ago, Dai_ said:

But to us and not West Ham....

I was thinking that, I’d rather him in the summer than now though, we can’t afford people to adapt to the prem now can we, or maybe we can, I’m not sure who I want anymore 😂

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Think us getting the transfer team sorted not that long ago may have affected things, hopefully Trippier sorted soon and then we make moves fast 😁

Yeah massive points for you guys, you are safe for me, probably need the lowest amount of points to stay up this season, already 12 ahead of us as well!

Well indeed, but then, fannying about that long is shooting yourselves in the foot...

Regarding points, I'd like to clarify that at the halfway stage, we have more than double the points of any of the bottom three :)

9 hours ago, billy2shots said:

I view Salah the same way I see Ronaldo (CR7). Great goal scorers but they fall short of being great players. 

When I use the word great, I truly mean great and not just really good. I also don't base great footballing ability around great stats. 

For me Maradona was a better player than Pele and Messi is head and shoulders above Ronaldo (CR7). 

Most of histories great players have multiple world class attributes and that's what makes them stand out as their generations best. Start removing attributes and the lesser players suffer whilst the great ones remain outstanding.

Ronaldo's pace has gone but his finishing remains. All those clips of step overs etc were not skill, they were because in the end he just knocked it past someone and outran them. You don't see him do that these days  No denying his goal getting, a great goal scorer without question. 

Messi on the other hand can still dazzle with his finishing, dribbling, passing and creativity and probably could until he decides to retire. That's why I think he's a great player. The greatest. 

That brings us back to Salah. He plays for Liverpool and there are two very good comparisons from that club. Fowler and Owen. Owen was devastating with his pace and finishing. A great scorer of goals for 2 or 3 seasons. Loses his pace and it's over.  Fowler a sublime finisher but never had that pace to put him in the highest bracket. Examples of where one or two outstanding attributes can make you very good but not great. 

Let's use our imaginary editor and drop Salah's pace down 5 or 6 marks. He's gone in my opinion. He relies so much on his pace to get into those goal scoring positions that without it, there's hardly a player left. Can we move him into the middle of midfield to dictate the game or act as a creative force. No, he's a one trick pony all be it a very good trick , amongst the very best goal scorers in the past 5 years but he's one pace sapping injury away from being a bang average premiership player. Suarez is/was miles ahead of him. Now he was a baller. 

I would certainly put someone like Alan Shearer above Mo in an all time list however I would still list them both as great goal scorers and not great players. Shearer had so much more to his game and adapted through injury. Salah couldn't possibly adapt as his entire game is based on speed and acceleration.

As for likeable. It's easy to dislike other teams better players. Especially someone who wins so many points for them. Objectively my issues with him are his diving (which has improved a little lately to be fair) and his lack of teamwork. Again his teamwork seems to have improved more recently but I've lost count of the times he was selfish with other players in better positions. He certainly would have drove me bonkers at times if I played with him. 

I suppose it boils down to what you like, Messi, Cruyff, Ronaldinho hell even Matt Le Tis float my boat. Those people with God given ability that would still be great in their 60s with big beer bellies (standard belly for Matt)

That's a really good way of thinking about players and if they're a "one trick pony" or if they have the ability to adapt to injuries and age.

Shearer when he was younger did rely on his speed more than people think, but he had to adapt as he had so many injuries one after the other than he had to almost take it out of his game.

As I'm getting towards the end of my long way to the top challenge, and I'm just working out what my next career will be but I can't decide if I want to start a new challenge "now" or wait until the transfer update is released.... Given that it's going to take me to a certain Northern club that is hopefully going to be very busy in this window...

7 hours ago, geordiekrispy said:

As I'm getting towards the end of my long way to the top challenge, and I'm just working out what my next career will be but I can't decide if I want to start a new challenge "now" or wait until the transfer update is released.... Given that it's going to take me to a certain Northern club that is hopefully going to be very busy in this window...

Thats why I'm holding off a Newcastle save ha ha. All the new players, still a £200m budget would you spend it or do a season only with the current squad?

Looks like Trippier is going to cost around £12m which is pretty good even though he’s 31, I’d be very happy with that price.

52 minutes ago, Rich said:

Looks like Trippier is going to cost around £12m which is pretty good even though he’s 31, I’d be very happy with that price.

Bargain fee but I reckon there will be add one taking it closer to £20m -£25m. Most likely tailored around appearances and a fee if we stay up.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

If be surprised if it was only 12m, I've been reading he'd be amount 25m.

I'd snap their arms off for 12m! Even if he's on stupid money, as long as he's got some clauses to reduce his wages if we go down.

4 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

Thats why I'm holding off a Newcastle save ha ha. All the new players, still a £200m budget would you spend it or do a season only with the current squad?

I've literally just finished my long way save, just need to write it up.

So... I might do @Rich's first badge then decide.

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

Trippier medical is happening tomorrow then, looks a really good deal. Hopefully more to follow soon 🤞🏻

£12m is a snip. 3 year deal and it only takes £4m for the fee this year out of financial fair play. Read we could realistically spend £800m over 3 years and not break FFP. Lets just say our budget is £100m, we have £88m left.

Digne £20m

Tarkowski £15m

Wijnaldum loan

Martial £6m loan fee

Another CB £20m

Another striker £20m

10 minutes ago, AdamNufc said:

£12m is a snip. 3 year deal and it only takes £4m for the fee this year out of financial fair play. Read we could realistically spend £800m over 3 years and not break FFP. Lets just say our budget is £100m, we have £88m left.

Digne £20m

Tarkowski £15m

Wijnaldum loan

Martial £6m loan fee

Another CB £20m

Another striker £20m

Sounds reasonable, but you reckon we'd be able to get a striker for 20m?

8 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

Sounds reasonable, but you reckon we'd be able to get a striker for 20m?

There's £7m spare so about £27m. Morelos, Breton Diaz, Azmoun, Origi. All I'd say we could get for that price. Aubameyang loan with few to sign etc.

Can’t see us getting Tarkowski in January to be honest, Burnley won’t sell now, I’m sure there’s players we ain’t even seen linked they want as well. Martial can F off as well with his stinking attitude 😂

12 hours ago, AdamNufc said:

There's £7m spare so about £27m. Morelos, Breton Diaz, Azmoun, Origi. All I'd say we could get for that price. Aubameyang loan with few to sign etc.

I'd take Brereton!  Fellow Stokie too 🙂

Edited by Woody

Not English football but British football so I think that’s allowed here?

Anyway, I’ve noticed that this season, Mikey Johnston doesn’t seems to have much confidence when having the ball. He used to dribble past full backs like he’s Lionel Messi but he’s not that anymore. Probably it is because of the long injury he had last season or that the fanbase isn’t supporting and making him a scapegoat. Probably even both of it.

Whatever the problem is, I hope he can get back to his previous level. I can see him plays well for clubs like Newcastle, Southampton or Brighton in the future.

40 minutes ago, broodje kip said:

Not English football but British football so I think that’s allowed here?

Anyway, I’ve noticed that this season, Mikey Johnston doesn’t seems to have much confidence when having the ball. He used to dribble past full backs like he’s Lionel Messi but he’s not that anymore. Probably it is because of the long injury he had last season or that the fanbase isn’t supporting and making him a scapegoat. Probably even both of it.

Whatever the problem is, I hope he can get back to his previous level. I can see him plays well for clubs like Newcastle, Southampton or Brighton in the future.

Don’t you ever and I mean ever link a player like that to Newcastle!! 😂

I got a soft spot for him just because you do, hopefully he finds his form soon and he can make you happy again.

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Don’t you ever and I mean ever link a player like that to Newcastle!! 😂

I got a soft spot for him just because you do, hopefully he finds his form soon and he can make you happy again.

You’d probably take him to Newcastle if it wasn’t because of the money 😂 but fr, him and ASM on the wing would be nuts for defenders in the Premier League.

Anyone else seen that Klopp has asked for the cup game to be postponed? Whiney little ****. 

Didn't moan about it when we had to play the kids in the third round last year due to Covid. 

The more that comes out about what he is saying, the more I start to seriously despise the man. 

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Coutinho to Villa looks like it’s on @JamesVilla😮

Be a cracking loan signing we can pull it off. Fully expecting you guys to try and hijack it, it will be like that with every transfer now I'd imagine. 

It does look like the pull of Gerrard is working already, apparently he has had direct contact with Coutinho to convince him. I doubt he would be interested if Smith was still in charge. 

3 minutes ago, JamesVilla said:

Be a cracking loan signing we can pull it off. Fully expecting you guys to try and hijack it, it will be like that with every transfer now I'd imagine. 

It does look like the pull of Gerrard is working already, apparently he has had direct contact with Coutinho to convince him. I doubt he would be interested if Smith was still in charge. 

I can see him going to you guys than going to a relegation battle, would be a great signing for you and you’re right Gerrard will have a big pull for you guys. 

Coutinho will go Villa.

Delighted with the Trippier signing but we might miss out on some top targets, Digne being one of them who I do see signing for Chelsea

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

BD635D26-7240-4737-83A2-91DAAA9A9DE8.thumb.jpeg.46e888e9b590278c53a5c0d096c0e77c.jpeg

I wonder if this will happen 🤔

Well it's a shame to lose a local lad, but it would help open up a space on the squad and we want a better midfielder. He's just not what we need right now, Rafa did seem to get the most out of him too.

8 minutes ago, geordiekrispy said:

Well it's a shame to lose a local lad, but it would help open up a space on the squad and we want a better midfielder. He's just not what we need right now, Rafa did seem to get the most out of him too.

Yeah he’s lost his way, looked so good under Rafa, big shame! I keep seeing we want 4 players but I got a feeling it’s going to be more 🤔

We will sign 4-6. I really reckon 6 is what we need 

Digne seems not to want to come to us, more interested in Chelsea or West Ham but surely we would of sounded him out and his agent before bidding.

Shame to lose Longstaff but he's been poor last couple year. Need to shift players though to get more players in with 25 man squad rules so makes sense.

Just now, AdamNufc said:

There's reports Callum Wilson could be out for the season

What you think of the Origi links? My main hesitation is I dunno what we'd sell him for but it would have to be daft money. 

For what it's worth a think Origi has alot to offer, especially when playing regularly as with a run of games he always gets better, we unfortunately just use him cold alot for obvious reasons. He's not found the form he had in our EL run before Everton crooked him but he's not been a regular since then tbf. He's quick, powerful, decent on the ball and a good finisher. 

I want him to leave for his own good, he's wasting his career with us yet I know we'll miss him. I thought West Ham would be a good fit for him but you lot might not be a bad shout. 

Interesting you get Origi links today while we're getting linked more heavily to that lad from Porto. 

3 minutes ago, Ashez said:

What you think of the Origi links? My main hesitation is I dunno what we'd sell him for but it would have to be daft money. 

For what it's worth a think Origi has alot to offer, especially when playing regularly as with a run of games he always gets better, we unfortunately just use him cold alot for obvious reasons. He's not found the form he had in our EL run before Everton crooked him but he's not been a regular since then tbf. He's quick, powerful, decent on the ball and a good finisher. 

I want him to leave for his own good, he's wasting his career with us yet I know we'll miss him. I thought West Ham would be a good fit for him but you lot might not be a bad shout. 

Interesting you get Origi links today while we're getting linked more heavily to that lad from Porto. 

I would take Origi all day, I think he’d be a really good signing for us. Knows the league and he impresses me when I see him. Especially as he would get a run of games, I read that he wouldn’t be expensive as his wages are high, which wouldn’t be a problem for us.