Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S4NCH0

Danish Football for Dummies (FMM2020)

Guide to Denmark in FMM2020

copenhagen1.thumb.jpg.b7fa086e64fb02f07c951f505d065abf.jpg

After analyzing a few interesting aspects from Greek football, it’s time to move up-north. Time to travel from the hot waters of the Aegean Sea to the cold breezes of the North Sea. We now move to the land of Vikings, the land of Hygge, the land of Lego, home to the brilliance of Andersen and Bohr, setting for Shakespeare’s Hamlet, but above all the birthplace of Lord Bendtner. Compared to Greece’s, Danish football is a tad bit more popular around the world with players like the Laudrup brothers, the Schmeichel dynasty, or more recent ones like Eriksen and Bendtner which have contributed to create a name for Danish football around the world. However, most of these players are known for their game outside of Denmark, but how is football inside the country? Let’s take a look!

Background

Spoiler

denmark.jpg.67dc5b527076c1cda35b8fe6bd6ead54.jpg

Foundation: 

• As the First Division (1913)
  • As the current Superligaen (1991)

UEFA Rankings: 14th 

Average Age: 24.7 years

Youngest team: FC Nordsjælland (21.6 years)

Oldest team: Lyngby BK (28.7 years)

Cheapest team: Lyngby BK (6.05 million euros)

Most expensive team: FC Copenhague (43.9 million euros)

Domestic Cup:

- Danish Cup

Current Champions:

• Copenhagen (Superligaen)
  • Silkeborg IF (1.Division)
  • Skive IK (2. Division)
  • FC Midtjylland (Danish Cup)

Participants & Format: 

• Superligaen:
    • Spoiler

• 14 teams
      • Home and Away format (26 matches)
      • After 26 games the league splits
        • Eight bottom teams play Qualifying Playoff (14 games)
        • First six teams play Championship Playoff (10 games)
          • Top team qualifies for Champions League second qualifying Round
          • Second place Qualifies to Europa League first qualifying Round
          • Third team qualifies for a one-match playoff 
          • If the Third team is the Danish Cup Champion, the fourth place plays the playoff
                • The Qualifying playoff divides the league into two groups {7,10,11, and 14 th} and {8,9,12 and 13th} they play each other twice. 
                • The top two of each group play two-legged semifinals and the winners a final
              • The winner of the playoff plays the Third (or fourth) placed team for a place in Europa League.
      • The bottom 2 teams of each group play a Relegation playoff
        • The third placed team plays over two legs, with the winner remaining afloat and the loser playing the 1.Division third place in a playoff
        • The fourth places play each other over two legs with the winner playing the second placed team in 1.Division and the loser getting automatically relegated.

1.Division:*ONLY LITTLE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE LEAGUE’S FORMAT, SO IF YOU FIND A MISTAKE PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL CORRECT IT

• Spoiler

• 12 teams
      • The League is played in triple leg format (33 games)
      • Team in the first position gets automatically promoted to the Superligaen
      • Teams positioned 2nd and 3rd play in a one-game Promotion playoff against the bottom 2 teams of the Qualifying Playoff’s second Round.
      • Team finishing in the last place gets automatically relegated to the 2.Division
      • 10th and 11th positioned teams go into a Relegation playoff against the best placed teams in the 2.Division

2.Division:+*ONLY LITTLE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE LEAGUE’S FORMAT, SO IF YOU FIND A MISTAKE PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL CORRECT IT

• Spoiler

• 24 teams
      • The teams are divided into 2 groups of 12 teams each
        • Each team play each other twice (22 games)
      • Top 6 teams of both groups qualify to a promotion playoff. The winner gets automatic promotion while the 2nd and third placed teams qualify for another playoff against 10th. and 11th. placed 2.Division teams.
      • Bottom 6 teams of both groups qualify for a Relegation Playoff

• Danish Cup:
  • *ONLY LITTLE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE IN EGLISH ON THE CUP’S FORMAT, SO IF YOU FIND A MISTAKE PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL CORRECT It
  • Spoiler

• 1st round, (88 teams)
      • 48 teams qualified through preliminary cups held by the regional associations.
      • 24 teams from the 2nd divisions
      • 7 teams from the 1st division (5th–12th placed)
    • 2nd round, (43+13 teams)
      • 43 teams from the 1st round (winners)
      • 4 teams from the 1st division (1st–4th placed)
      • 10 teams from the Superliga (5th–14th placed).
    • 3rd round (28+4 teams)
      • 28 teams from the 2nd round
      • 4 teams from the Superliga (1st–4th placed)
    • 4th round (16 teams)

TOURNAMENT BECOMES ONE LEGGED

• Quarterfinals (8 teams)
    • Semifinals (4 teams)
    • Final (2 teams)

Titles by Club:

Superligaen

Spoiler

Counting from1991

• Fc Copenhagen: 13 titles
  • Brøndby IF: 6 titles
  • AaB Aalborg: 4 titles
  • FC Midtjylland: 2 titles
  • Silkeborg IF, Lyngby BK,  FC Nordsjælland : 1 title

Danish Cup:

• Aarhus: 9 titles
  • FC Copenhagen: 8 titles
  • Brøndby: 7 titles
  • Vejle: 6 titles
  • OB: 5 titles
  • AaB Aalborg: 3 titles

•  

Individual Records:

Spoiler

Top Scorers:

• Morton Rasmussen: 145 goals
  • Søren Fredriksen: 139 goals
  • Peter Møller: 135 goals
  • Heine Fernandez: 126 goals
  • Steffen Højer: 124 goals

Most Appearances:

• Rasmus Würtz: 434 appearances (ACTIVE)
  • Hans Andreasen: 397 appearances
  • Per Nielsen: 394 appearances
  • Jimmy Nielsen: 375 appearances
  • Michael Hansen: 371 appearances

The Big Three:

This time around, the “big three” is maybe an overkill. Some would argue that historically there are only two clubs deserving of the Big Club status. For some others there are 3. As for me, 3 is the answer. Now, on to more controversy: some argue Aab Aalborg with 4 titles (winning one almost every 5-6 years) deserve the “big” tag, others, me included, believe the recent growth (2 titles in the last 4 years) and consistent top 3 finishes of FC Midtjylland have won them the “big” etiquette. I will be focusing on Midtjylland this time around, but I should give an honorable mention to Aalborg. 

FC Copenhagen:

kovenhavn.jpg.1277d73f2ec8d22aa76986e541f344d5.jpg

The heir of former danish superpowers KB Copenhagen (15 titles and 13 subtitles) and Boldkluben 1903 (7 titles and 6 subtitles), FC Copenhagen have maintained the dominance of their predecessors and have gone on to win 13 out of the 28 Superligaen leagues since 1991. In Europe although they are one of the most successful Danish club continentally in recent years (4 times in Group Stage and 1 in Round of 16), they haven’t managed to assert the same dominance as they have back home. They play a very fierce Copenhagen Derby against Brondby IF, a match attractive both on the pitch and on the stands.

Founded: 1992

City: Copenhagen

Nicknames: The Lions

Stadium: Telia Parken (Capacity: 38,065)

Best Player: Nicklas Bendtner (jk, it’s Viktor Fisher)

Brøndby IF:

brondby-fck_3.jpg.327830333b66ab9382235c43576d1ca2.jpg

Based on the outskirts of the danish capital, Brøndby IF have been the second largest team in Denmark since the foundation of the league in 1991. After spending their first 17 years playing in the lower divisions, Brondby broke into the First Division with a blast, having won 10  (6 since 1991) leagues and 7 cups since. Their fierce rivalry with FC Copenhagen attracts thousands of fans from Denmark and foreign countries each year. They are the most successful danish club in Europe, having reached the Champions Leagues QF in 1986, and the Europa League SF in 1991.

Founded: 1964

City: Copenhagen (Brøndbyvester)

Nicknames: The Boys From Western Outskirts

Stadium: Brøndby Stadium (capacity: 28,000)

Best Player: Hany Mukhtar

FC Midtjylland:

Mid.thumb.jpg.f610c9a4ed3d788de82d6e74925c7dc4.jpg

Founded in 1999 thanks to the merge between Herning Fremad and Ikast FS. Although one of the youngest sides in Denmark, the wolves have already made a name for themselves locally. Their success is mainly due to their economic power, which has allowed them to partner with clubs around the world and to invest in the first ever Danish youth academy (which has seen the likes of Pione Sisto, Simon Kjær and Winston Reid come through). They have also won 2 league titles  and 1 cup in the last 4 years. 

Founded: 1999

City: Herning

Nicknames: The Wolves

Stadium: MCH Arena (capacity: 12,000)

Best Player: Evander

Teams to manage:

Following now, four teams which I believe could make for an entertaining career/challenge in FMM2020:

FC Copenhagen: From local to continental Powerhouse

kovenhavn.thumb.png.89e47b7b40d466cf4596fada05a7ce20.png

As mentioned above, the Lions have won 13 league titles in their short history, but have never managed to progress further than the Round of 16 in any continental competition. The idea of the challenge is simple, take FC Copenhagen to Continental glory, have you got what’s required to tackle such a hard task? Good thing is the team is already a local powerhouse so no need to worry about that.

FC Nordsjælland: Academy Challenge

nordjaer.thumb.jpg.5e8599803f63fcdf6d848222368cb305.jpg

FC Nordsjaelland, if you didn’t miss the information, are the youngest team in all of Denmark at the moment with an Average Age of only 21.4 years. They are also one of the most profitable teams in Denmark having sold 12 players for 13.1 million euros and buying other 12 for only 1.7 million euros. Their project has been very redituable since they’ve also won two cups and 1 league title in the last 10 years. At the moment 19 out of 29 players come from their own youth ranks. Can you challenge for the league and maybe bigger things using only Youth Academy prospects?

Vejle Boldklub: Wake up the giants

Vejle_Boldklub.png.ffc9496d0ee42d135bc823391888e573.png

This Vejle based team is one of the oldest teams (128 years of age) in Denmark and one of the most successful ones. They’ve won 5 first division titles and 6 danish cups, making them one of the most laureated teams in Denmark. But in recent years, the team has experienced 4 drops from the top flight, risked bankruptcy and risked relegation to the third level. Can you bring back this sleeping giant to where it belongs and revive their glory days which today are nothing but a memory?

Kjellerup IF: From rag to riches

kjelle.jpeg.09f28d6a0e803af7ec1fe4a8673e135c.jpeg

Founded in 1907 in Kjellerup, this team has spent most of its existence playing outside of the profesional leagues (specifically 104 years) having only won promotion to the Third Division for the first time in their history in 2011. They currently remain in said division, being probably the smallest team available at the start of FMM2020. Their 3000 stadium and almost null experience as professionals could make for a very interesting challenge. Can you bring this team up the ranks and make history with them?

Young players to keep an eye on

To end this guide, a list of 4 Danish youngsters to keep an eye on. One goalkeeper, one defender, one midfielder and one attacker that might be useful to refresh each line in you careers.

Oscar Hedvall

hedvall.thumb.jpg.061a0dd2accf4e43d6052e1344ad458a.jpg

Coming from Denmark and being a goalkeeper must not be easy. Trying to follow, or surpass, the steps of Premier League legends Peter and Kasper Schmeichel in goal must put a lot of pressure on young emerging danish keepers. Not many youth talents manage to break through and establish themselves as starting goalkeepers in Denmark . But recently a young talent has won himself a place in the Superliagen. He is Oscar Hedvall, and while he isn’t such an exciting talent as the next 3, he has fought for a place in Silkeborg IF and has to date managed to get 23 appearances with the first team. 

Position: Goalkeeper

Nationality: Danish 

Team: Silkebor IF

Victor Nelsson 

nelsson.thumb.jpg.cca289dd388f18cfb146b65311269377.jpg

With 21 years of age, Victor Nelsson is already a strong defender with an admirable work-rate. His 1.87 height is also a plus for such a complete defender. Having emerged from the youth rank of, you guessed it, Norsdjælland where he played 98 matches, Victor made an important move to danish Superpower FC Copenhagen last season. He has since played 23 games and is tipped to become a danish international anytime soon.

Position: Center-back 

Nationality: Greek 

Team: Asteras Tripoli FC

Mikel Damsgaard

1473333647_MikkelDamsgaardPartizanvNordsjaellandtDYtoDrZuTkl.jpg.ce44274e19b276df72bf929062103a8f.jpg

This 19 year old is already one Denmark’s biggest hopes upon the future. He is a multi-functional mid-fielder who can also play as a left winger and a striker. His great performances have made him an indisputable starter for Norsdjælland in the Superligaen, where he has played 70 games, scored 7 goals and provided 16 assists. A very exciting player to say the least.

Position: Midfielder/Winger/Striker 

Nationality: Danish 

Team: FC Norsdjælland

Mohammed Daramy

darammy.thumb.jpg.7546dc0599eedf43319eda6ea3b24d5d.jpg

This 1.80 m striker, made his debut for FC Copenhagen’s first team in 2018 and hasn’t ceased to impress since. He is one of Denmark’s brightest prospects at the moment, and his fenomenal physique, sprint and dribbling skills haven’t gone unnoticed. PSV and Leipzig are already knocking on his door. He has already played 25 games for the first team, and is set to become a superstar. 

Position: Striker

Nationality: Danish (Sierra-leonean)

Team: FC Copenhagen

That’s all from me this time. Hope you enjoyed, if you did leave a like and a comment, if you didn’t I’m all up for constructive criticism. 

Thanks for reading, and until next time. 

Edited by S4NCH0

26 minutes ago, Lord Danish said:

That average age though 😍

The beautiful part is that it is not just the age, but also the amazing quality. Can’t wait to use them.

6 minutes ago, samhardy said:

Good guides mate enjoyed both of them :)

Thanks a lot for the comment!! I’m happy you enjoyed them. :) 

The team (Aarhus) that's won the most Danish Cups hasn't won the title since 91. Talking about a real Cup fighter. 

Now that I'm all up to date with the two new leagues I'm ready to sail new waters. 

Thanks! 

great work S4ncho! 

Bees have a bit of an interest in this, with our owner also owning FCM and being responsible (to an extent) for their rise. Also our Eng U21 goalkeeper is in the Danish 2nd division (Viborg i think) on loan this season. i'll probably give an FCM save a go this season :)

11 hours ago, BatiGoal said:

The team (Aarhus) that's won the most Danish Cups hasn't won the title since 91. Talking about a real Cup fighter. 

Now that I'm all up to date with the two new leagues I'm ready to sail new waters. 

Thanks! 

Its those teams I like doing careers with. Its clear they've got something going on for them, they just can't canalize their efforts correctly into other areas.

8 hours ago, Kanegan said:

Another great in-depth article mate. Really educated us about the two leagues.

I'm really happy you liked it. Thanks for the comment!! 

4 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

great work S4ncho! 

Bees have a bit of an interest in this, with our owner also owning FCM and being responsible (to an extent) for their rise. Also our Eng U21 goalkeeper is in the Danish 2nd division (Viborg i think) on loan this season. i'll probably give an FCM save a go this season :)

Thanks! I was very surprised to see Brentford's owner was also a major shareholder in Danish team. I definitely didn't expect that. That loan out move will be very beneficial for Balcombe, I've always thought the problem with english youngsters is they mostly get loaned out to lower leagues in their own country (with few exceptions as Chelsea loanees to holland or Reece Oxford). If they did as Spanish, German, and French teams who tend to loan their players around all Europe, I'm pretty confident English youngster would turn out somewhat better. Thanks for your comments!

On 30/10/2019 at 09:30, RobNemoo said:

Nordsjælland looks like a future powerhouse with such academy. Nice team to get a carreer with.

They definitely have the mentality and youngsters to become a local giant. 

11 hours ago, Ashez said:

I really enjoyed that while also learning a thing of two, well done!

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it and am very happy you learned something new. Cheers!

Exciting news: I'm hearing that your friend and mine Lasse Vibe has signed for FC Midtyjlland (or however you spell it)! Probably not in time for the first release but maybe he'll be in the game anyway (he's been at IFK Göteborg) - otherwise he should be in the game after the winter transfer update :)

Great guides 

4 hours ago, Mr Tree said:

Exciting news: I'm hearing that your friend and mine Lasse Vibe has signed for FC Midtyjlland (or however you spell it)! Probably not in time for the first release but maybe he'll be in the game anyway (he's been at IFK Göteborg) - otherwise he should be in the game after the winter transfer update :)

I always thought Benrahma and Canos were better anyways..

48 minutes ago, Gunners Rishi said:

Great guides 

I always thought Benrahma and Canos were better anyways..

Sure they are (although Canos has done his ACL now :( ), but it's all about the name for Lassie 👍

Great article/guide :)! 

If i can be of any help please do contact me. Im from Denmark and know the league very well, also the 1.division.

FCK is the powerhouse in Danish football. The side will be like playing Celtic in the game - kind of boring. Only fun because of the Lord B52! Their great rivals Brøndby keeps on failing to be what they once were.

OB has a great coach and could be a fun spell.

FCK's biggest threat to the title has to be FCM . With Brentfords system of scouting players and very good sense for whealing and dealing they really have set up a great side . Evander is good yes, but they also have good Danish players.

my own favourite side is "de hviiie" the whites from Aarhus. they have won nothing in a long time, but in 2020 they will win the league with me 😂

Sides who could win the 1.division are Viborg, Vejle and Fredericia.

Best regards Anders

4 hours ago, Helio said:

That's a rather big stadium for a city like Herning! 😀😀

SmartSelect_20191120-192216_Brave.jpg

:D!!! its close to twice as big as the biggest stadium here in Denmark :D!!! in real life the have a smaller stadium, but new ;)

8 hours ago, AndersJ said:

:D!!! its close to twice as big as the biggest stadium here in Denmark :D!!! in real life the have a smaller stadium, but new ;)

🍺 Skål, I know Parken very well, I even failed to see one of the best goal in the history of football there , a terrible story ! I lived in Kbh for 2 years. 

3 hours ago, Helio said:

🍺 Skål, I know Parken very well, I even failed to see one of the best goal in the history of football there , a terrible story ! I lived in Kbh for 2 years. 

Drunk in parken - been there too many times ;)! Best game was 0-3 down against Sweden ( rivals ) and then 3-3....but some danish drunk guy messed it up and ran on the field and we lost 0-3.....:D!!!

@S4NCH0 

Great guide .. Don’t know much about the league except I remember FCM v ManUtd and P.Sisto was a solid player .. 

Now onto Greece guide as know a bit more but anything Greek to me has been about struggling economy interesting to see how the clubs dealt with it.. 

On 04/11/2019 at 15:23, AndersJ said:

Great article/guide :)! 

If i can be of any help please do contact me. Im from Denmark and know the league very well, also the 1.division.

FCK is the powerhouse in Danish football. The side will be like playing Celtic in the game - kind of boring. Only fun because of the Lord B52! Their great rivals Brøndby keeps on failing to be what they once were.

OB has a great coach and could be a fun spell.

FCK's biggest threat to the title has to be FCM . With Brentfords system of scouting players and very good sense for whealing and dealing they really have set up a great side . Evander is good yes, but they also have good Danish players.

my own favourite side is "de hviiie" the whites from Aarhus. they have won nothing in a long time, but in 2020 they will win the league with me 😂

Sides who could win the 1.division are Viborg, Vejle and Fredericia.

Best regards Anders

I got a question for you since I can’t read FCN homepage not in English , I was wondering how J.Amon was doing ? Last heard he was getting solid minutes do you think a bigger move is coming ? Any news on other Americans in Denmark ? I get clubs confused between Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc I know I’m dumb American just no idea who is in which league when see team names when they move. 
Thx for any information 

On 20/11/2019 at 21:23, Helio said:

That's a rather big stadium for a city like Herning! 😀😀

SmartSelect_20191120-192216_Brave.jpg

Oh sh*t just saw my mistake. Sorry and thanks for pointing it out. hahaha i'll correct it now. 

21 hours ago, DIRECTFX said:

I got a question for you since I can’t read FCN homepage not in English , I was wondering how J.Amon was doing ? Last heard he was getting solid minutes do you think a bigger move is coming ? Any news on other Americans in Denmark ? I get clubs confused between Sweden, Norway, Denmark etc I know I’m dumb American just no idea who is in which league when see team names when they move. 
Thx for any information 

From what I found, he played 27 games last season for the first team and this season he has only played 2 matches. Not completely sure I'm right tho.

On 21/11/2019 at 21:45, DIRECTFX said:

Thx for any information 

I found a page i can search in google on Americans in the Superliga . He did not play alot this season and i dont see any of their games, but the club FCN is known for finding very young talent and Selling them to Europe when good enough.

Victor Nelsson 

nelsson.thumb.jpg.cca289dd388f18cfb146b65311269377.jpg

With 21 years of age, Victor Nelsson is already a strong defender with an admirable work-rate. His 1.87 height is also a plus for such a complete defender. Having emerged from the youth rank of, you guessed it, Norsdjælland where he played 98 matches, Victor made an important move to danish Superpower FC Copenhagen last season. He has since played 23 games and is tipped to become a danish international anytime soon.

Position: Center-back 

Nationality: Greek 

Team: Asteras Tripoli FC

@S4NCH0

Edited by Afmadow