Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic American trying to find a club to support

Jwill11

I live in the United States and while we do have the MLS and other smaller leagues, I am also wanting to find a club to support in Europe which I have trouble doing right now. I don't have the benefit of living near any clubs or family that watches the sport in general to make the decision for me easier. I sort of follow Dortmund, but that's because Pulisic plays there. The thing that always drove me away from The EPL, Bundesliga, or La Liga was that you usually see the same teams at the top of the table every season. Leicester gave me hope that other teams were finally putting up a better fight, but then a season later, the same teams as usual are at the top and Leicester down from 1st to 12th... I don't know much about La Liga or Bundesliga teams and how they usually place so I can't say much about those leagues. From what I hear Bayern has been dominating Bundesliga for a while and Barcelona, Real and Atletico Madrid are at the top of La Liga. Living with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL I get tired of seeing any team except for mine near the top. Does anyone else feel tired of seeing the same clubs at the top of the league every season as well? Wow I wrote a lot.

It depends on a whole lot of things :)! 

A german suggestion is St Pauli, they have amazing history and a fanculture like no one else :)!

in Turkey you also have a top 4-5 that battle for the Championship every year, and yet again a crazy and unbelieveable culture from the fanside!

for a english side i would say the hammers ( West ham ). Pick a team that not everyone else supports! Blowing bupples was fun before they build the new big stadium . 

Different choices from me is Nijmegen in Holland, only because of their shirts and they REALLY suck :)!

Hey come and be a fan of the Pariseans (Paris Saint Germain) We are a great club , and we were one of the first teams to have Ronaldinho :) I am a fan because I'm from Paris but you can be a fan as well :D 

I support Liverpool because there's so much wonderful history at the club, they've also played host to some of my favourite players of all time, Gerrard, Fowler, Ian Rush, Dalglish, Carra, Owen (before he turned into a scumbag!)

Best thing to do is pick with your heart (soppy as that sounds) if you're heart isn't with the club then there will really be no enjoyment out of supporting them in all honesty.

Okay so most of the guys follow a club as they live in the same city the club has been founded in, or else the club they follow has a large fan base due to a good commercial image. So clubs like Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, A.C Milan, Juventus etc.  Have a good commercial or market image making them more famous then others, tho they also had a great success in conquering titles, but sometimes they too are not exactly what they should be for example of course Leicester City did something what none of us wud have heard of.

Now which club u shud follow is on to u, of course the clubs stated will always get ur more attention due to their image, but if u are really a good football enthusiast like most of the other FMH players then u shud follow clubs like Middleborough, Leeds, Watford, West Ham, Norwich City, MK Dons, Hartepool, Ipswich, Huddersfield in England; Mallorca, Zaragoza, Osasuna, UCAM, Las Palmas, R.Sociedad, Cartagena in Spain; Fiorentina, Spezia, Pescara, Empoli, Palermo, Verona, Torino, Genoa in Italy; Stade Renneis, Saint Etienne, Auxerre, Caen, Amiens, Angers on France and alot of but all depends on u.

I will surely advice u to follow R.Madrid,as me being a Madridista however thats an obvious club to follow so follow Mallorca, it is an excellent club with great players

I support Norwich because that's where I'm from. Supporting a yo-yo club is certainly an interesting experience. In all seriousness I would recommend supporting a championship team because pretty much anyone can get promoted, like Huddersfield last year. Also, big clubs come down and often struggle, it's a really unpredictable league so always makes for excitement and upsets.

I would not recommend supporting 1 team inperticular unless it's your local team, if it's a team in another continent than what is the point?

There is nothing wrong with just being a football fan. My friend has had season tickets at Man City, Leeds and Huddersfield, and goes to random matches, he just likes going to watch football. Me on the other hand has never gone to a match that Leeds were not playing in. I don't think I could ever see myself going to a game in England that didn't involve Leeds.

That being said I have always grown a slight following to certain teams just from players I like. When paolo wanchope scored the winner at old Trafford I started liking derby, but I would of never gone to watch them and don't care for them anymore. Fiorentina was my team in italy because of batistuta, now not so much lol.

A friend at work is Armenian so he follows whichever team mkitarriyan plays for, Dortmund now the scum. This would make sense like you said with pulisic playing at Dortmund to follow them but if he leaves, are you gunna keep following Dortmund? 

If you really want to support 1 team inperticular than forget about history, think more about certain players you like, and the way teams play, which teams do you enjoy watching? No point supporting Manchester United for there history when mourinho has them playing so negatively, right? Follow a team that is more exciting to watch, spurs or Liverpool maybe. Or a team that is a bit crazy, like Wimbledon back in the day, dunno if there are any teams like the crazy gang anymore tho. 

Newcastle. Rollercoaster of a club. 

Perfect example of that was just back in May, where we won promotion back to the Premier League against Preston, and a few days later, it was all over the news that we'd been part of some tax scandal lol.

Our last 10 years have been a rollercoaster aswell. 08/09 we were relegated, came straight back up, then 3 years later we were playing in the Europa League quarter-final against Benfica!

We've got a decent stadium, decent fans (When they aren't on the players'/managers back) and for the first time in a while, we've got a decent manager

added 0 minutes later

Plus we've got DeAndre Yedlin lol

I have a mate who supports Fulham and just likes the premier league for what it is. You're concerned that the same teams are always at the top, basically your choices are to support a team who never wins the league or support a team who buys success. Or be neutral of course.

Never thought about supporting more than one club or lower league clubs. For any others living in the United States, do you know any channels to watch games on?

I used to have a soft spot for Reading because my brother grew up playing football with Leroy Lita lol would never support them personally though

2 minutes ago, Brenty92 said:

I used to have a soft spot for Reading because my brother grew up playing football with Leroy Lita lol would never support them personally though

Would have thought that would have been enough to put him off football for life :P

2 hours ago, Jwill11 said:

Never thought about supporting more than one club or lower league clubs. For any others living in the United States, do you know any channels to watch games on?

There are plenty of 'perfectly legal' football streaming apps out there if you can't get much coverage over in the states.

As an American, I can help. British Premier League games are on fox sports on Saturday mornings. I rarely ever see bundesliga or ligue 1, but I do see some Spanish games on Spanish channels. I'd advise you to watch premier league games, as they start tomorrow and are the easiest ones to access. My NFL team, the Packers, are a very historic club, if not the most historic, that had a long dry spell until winning again in 2010. This drew me to Liverpool, a very similar team. They're the most historic team in England with a devoted fan base, but haven't won a league title in 25+ years. This years our year though! Just choose a team you resonate with

I think u might want to start reading up on the rivalry among the former Big 4 of the EPL, it would be a rly good start! Look out for Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal cos they have consistently been title contenders and are representative of the nature of the EPL. After observing these teams for maybe a while, you will realise that you have fallen in love with at least 1 of them and start hating on the others, ah then you will have a club to support. I got Man Utd in the end, interested to see what urs will be!

On 8/3/2017 at 14:57, Jwill11 said:

I'm in America and find these channels are good for European Leagues..There are also premium channels like Fox Sports has FSP that have Scotland & Australia leagues. I also had SKYSports channel before but don't have it switching from Cable to .Satellite. Here's the channels I use that all have bunch of European leagues mainly on weekends from early AM to about mid afternoon.. 

Fox/FoxSports1&2 - Germany (league and cups) Friday,Saturday and Sunday.. Champions League/EUROPA league (weekdays) 

beINSports - Italy, Spain, France (cups and league) mainly on Saturday and Sunday

NBC/NBCSN - England -Weekday and Weekend games most in early AM Sat &Sun.

ESPN - couple random cups like Spanish Cup with R.Madrid and Barca plus couple Spanish league games but not a lot of coverage vs other channels..

As for teams I mainly follow US Players playing in Europe and try to watch them and over the years the teams change as players move etc.. Then you have big competitions like Champions/Europa league which is fun to watch hoping smaller club makes a run . Specific teams I've followed over the years are ;

England - Everton (Tim Howard) Chesterfield, Fulham (Bunch of Americans thru the years and still some now with Ream). EPL anyone besides top 6 big clubs . Championship lots Americans too..

Germany- Dortmund, Schalke, Hertha Berlin , Frankfurt, BMG for US players.. Red Bull Leipzig as I'm fan of NY Red Bulls in MLS and have a connection there plus I love style of play with fast paced counter attack with a bunch of young players hopefully can give Bayern a challenge 

Italy -Juventus & AC Milan 

Spain - like rivalry of Barcelona and Real Madrid plus Ath.Madrid always being underdog to try to break the hold of the top 2. 

France - basically anyone besides PSG to win 

sorry so so long but hope it helps ??????

19 minutes ago, DIRECTFX said:

I'm in America and find these channels are good for European Leagues..There are also premium channels like Fox Sports has FSP that have Scotland & Australia leagues. I also had SKYSports channel before but don't have it switching from Cable to .Satellite. Here's the channels I use that all have bunch of European leagues mainly on weekends from early AM to about mid afternoon.. 

Fox/FoxSports1&2 - Germany (league and cups) Friday,Saturday and Sunday.. Champions League/EUROPA league (weekdays) 

beINSports - Italy, Spain, France (cups and league) mainly on Saturday and Sunday

NBC/NBCSN - England -Weekday and Weekend games most in early AM Sat &Sun.

ESPN - couple random cups like Spanish Cup with R.Madrid and Barca plus couple Spanish league games but not a lot of coverage vs other channels..

As for teams I mainly follow US Players playing in Europe and try to watch them and over the years the teams change as players move etc.. Then you have big competitions like Champions/Europa league which is fun to watch hoping smaller club makes a run . Specific teams I've followed over the years are ;

England - Everton (Tim Howard) Chesterfield, Fulham (Bunch of Americans thru the years and still some now with Ream). EPL anyone besides top 6 big clubs . Championship lots Americans too..

Germany- Dortmund, Schalke, Hertha Berlin , Frankfurt, BMG for US players.. Red Bull Leipzig as I'm fan of NY Red Bulls in MLS and have a connection there plus I love style of play with fast paced counter attack with a bunch of young players hopefully can give Bayern a challenge 

Italy -Juventus & AC Milan 

Spain - like rivalry of Barcelona and Real Madrid plus Ath.Madrid always being underdog to try to break the hold of the top 2. 

France - basically anyone besides PSG to win 

sorry so so long but hope it helps ??????

Way more in depth than mine lol

On 03/08/2017 at 06:58, Jwill11 said:

I live in the United States and while we do have the MLS and other smaller leagues, I am also wanting to find a club to support in Europe which I have trouble doing right now. I don't have the benefit of living near any clubs or family that watches the sport in general to make the decision for me easier. I sort of follow Dortmund, but that's because Pulisic plays there. The thing that always drove me away from The EPL, Bundesliga, or La Liga was that you usually see the same teams at the top of the table every season. Leicester gave me hope that other teams were finally putting up a better fight, but then a season later, the same teams as usual are at the top and Leicester down from 1st to 12th... I don't know much about La Liga or Bundesliga teams and how they usually place so I can't say much about those leagues. From what I hear Bayern has been dominating Bundesliga for a while and Barcelona, Real and Atletico Madrid are at the top of La Liga. Living with the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL I get tired of seeing any team except for mine near the top. Does anyone else feel tired of seeing the same clubs at the top of the league every season as well? Wow I wrote a lot.

Interesting thoughts there.

Your looking for a team in Europe to support, I give you the Mighty Darlington, the team I support, we have had a troubled past and in 2012 went into Administration and were dealt with a 4 Division relegation from the National Vanarama National Division (Tier 5) to the Regional Based Northern League in the 9th Tier and since then we have clawed our way to the 6th Tier Vanarama North Division winning 2 League Championships and a Play-Off along the way.

I support Darlington as a cheaper alternative to the Premier League, I used to watch Sunderland with my granddad, but got sick of overpaid prima-donna professional footballers in favour of semi-professional football.

Click the link for the wikipedia article Darlington

22 minutes ago, KennyMiller27 said:

@Putzy Isn't the iFollow thing $120/club/season or something? Lol

I'm not sure. Being in the UK, I'm not fully aware of the details. But still, $120 isn't too bad for effectively a virtual season ticket. I'd certainly pay that if it was available over here. :)

12 hours ago, Putzy said:

I'm not sure. Being in the UK, I'm not fully aware of the details. But still, $120 isn't too bad for effectively a virtual season ticket. I'd certainly pay that if it was available over here. :)

I remember wanting to sign up for both Wimbledon and Coventry but having already paid for the Wimbledon pass my wallet cried mother signing up for the Coventry pass