Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic International Football

Gunners Rishi

Still hungover from last night. Arguably the best performance from an Irish side in the last 4-5 years (attacking-wise)

The scoreline didn't seem too comfortable but the way we were playing we would have scored 2 or 3 any other day.

Top of the group as well, yupppp

So as is traditional in early September the season is just starting to build up some steam and then it all comes to a stop for international matches. Luckily supporting the club I do we keep playing although we will be missing one of our key players as he is on wales duty. Anyway international breaks are pretty dull most of the time as international football only really comes into its own when the big tournaments happen and these breaks in September, October, November and March just get in the way.

So I have a proposal for all you people to chew over.

Instead or taking breaks through the season all internationals should be played at the end of the season. This would then free up around about 8 weeks of football through the season meaning that all the club football could be finished by mid April instead of late May then the internationals could kick in with qualifying or tournaments. This would then condense all the international games in to one block that we could all focus on without the frustration of waiting for club football to return in a week or two.  

It would also mean that any injuries picked up in international games can be dealt with over the summer unless they are major. This would stop the frustration of a player getting injured for a couple of weeks playing for his country and then missing games for your club.

I don’t particularly like the international break and when the argument comes to players being wrecked for the major tournaments it’s always put forward that we need a winter break but surely that won’t change much as it’ll just condense the games at other times. I’d personally be fine if they dropped around half of the international friendlies which would go a long way to sorting it but not going to happen well in England anyway as they want to milk it at Wembley for the dosh. I also think it would be better if England didn’t play all home games at Wembley and moved a few around the country like they obviously had to when Wembley was being built as it gets the whole country more involved.

I like your idea of moving all international games to end of season but just don’t see it happening although I would much prefer it I have to say and think I’d then enjoy the international games more as they are a pain during the season for me.

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

I also think it would be better if England didn’t play all home games at Wembley and moved a few around the country like they obviously had to when Wembley was being built as it gets the whole country more involved

You will be happy this week then as the game with Kosovo is being played in Southampton.

6 minutes ago, Foxy said:

You will be happy this week then as the game with Kosovo is being played in Southampton.

Great news! I can honestly say I didn’t know who they were playing so shows my interest in it.😂

On 02/09/2019 at 01:41, Foxy said:

So as is traditional in early September the season is just starting to build up some steam and then it all comes to a stop for international matches. Luckily supporting the club I do we keep playing although we will be missing one of our key players as he is on wales duty. Anyway international breaks are pretty dull most of the time as international football only really comes into its own when the big tournaments happen and these breaks in September, October, November and March just get in the way.

So I have a proposal for all you people to chew over.

Instead or taking breaks through the season all internationals should be played at the end of the season. This would then free up around about 8 weeks of football through the season meaning that all the club football could be finished by mid April instead of late May then the internationals could kick in with qualifying or tournaments. This would then condense all the international games in to one block that we could all focus on without the frustration of waiting for club football to return in a week or two.  

It would also mean that any injuries picked up in international games can be dealt with over the summer unless they are major. This would stop the frustration of a player getting injured for a couple of weeks playing for his country and then missing games for your club.

In my opinion this will be bad for the International Teams, as when their good players get injured they can’t play them for a few games and they lose out. Not that I really care but it could be a problem

Happy with that draw tbf. I’d prefer Russia to Switzerland but I’d rather take on Italy and Turkey over Demark and Belgium.

Group F looks menacing!

Portugal this time cant just draw 3 Times ,this new rules of UEFA os just to full their pockets.12 citys Portugal e Will play on Germany and on france its ridiculous this new system but as long as UEFA has their pockets full of money its ok,however se have team to win even the group but Fernando Santos Will not put the good players to play he has no hands for so  Many talent in portugal,but new UEFA rules has no discription.good luck to all national teams 

5 minutes ago, Belhote said:

Portugal this time cant just draw 3 Times ,this new rules of UEFA os just to full their pockets.12 citys Portugal e Will play on Germany and on france its ridiculous this new system but as long as UEFA has their pockets full of money its ok,however se have team to win even the group but Fernando Santos Will not put the good players to play he has no hands for so  Many talent in portugal,but new UEFA rules has no discription.good luck to all national teams 

What I got from that is that you are a big fan of the new rules. 

1 minute ago, Rob said:

What I got from that is that you are a big fan of the new rules. 

Im not,the old system was good and more fair everyone could play against everyone,now why the hell 12 citys and those countrys have advantage of playing home? The countrys that Will not receive the games are on disadvantage Thays my opinion worths what ir worths xd 

3 minutes ago, samhardy said:

It’s International Football, dangle enough £ in front of FIFA and you get the draw and results you want.

Hi,yes i can see thats how ir os now a days football does not matter what matters is FIFA/UEFA gets tons of money Thats the most importante thing,they make the rules so we play ir like tthat or not of corse no One Will start just not playing it

Just looked up my World Cup 2018 thoughts on Maguire and it's safe to say they've not changed 😂. Rated for scoring and not for anything he's meant to be able to do like defending. 

My favourite hot take was "Maguire scares me more than Colombia". The statement of "I think Maguire is a liability" also still holds up. 

Maguire needs to get his head sorted. He is a bloody good defender but he is way off at the moment.

Also England were absolutely shocking! Nothing in midfield again!!!

2 hours ago, Rob said:

The players we have lead to a wonderful 4-2-3-1 tactic.

So, naturally, we always seem to play 3-4-3.

Its such a negative tactic......we would be so much better attacking sides. 

Fullbacks: Trent, Trips, James, Chilwell, Walker, etc

Centrebaxks: Maguire, Dier, Coady, etc

The midfield 2: Winks, Rice, Hendo, Phillips, etc

The 3: Rashford, Mount, Sterling, Grealish, Sancho, etc

Striker: Kane, DCL, Ings

We have incredibly good options and Southgate should just play the same tactic but change the players depending on opposition. It’s so bloody obvious. 

I know im biased, but how can Grealish get MOTM against Wales, in a comfortable 3-0 win then get ZERO minutes in the next two games. 

Pundits, former players, other club fans all calling for him to at least come on, if not start yet Southgate refuses to play him. 

Grealish would of provided us with something different last time, I lost count the amount of backwards/sideways passes from Rice & Phillips, chuck Jack in front of them and you have a player who is willing to run with the ball, take players on, be creative. 

6 minutes ago, Jsavfc said:

I know im biased, but how can Grealish get MOTM against Wales, in a comfortable 3-0 win then get ZERO minutes in the next two games. 

Pundits, former players, other club fans all calling for him to at least come on, if not start yet Southgate refuses to play him. 

Grealish would of provided us with something different last time, I lost count the amount of backwards/sideways passes from Rice & Phillips, chuck Jack in front of them and you have a player who is willing to run with the ball, take players on, be creative. 

Drop a CB, stick Jack in front of the central two, and push the wingbacks to fullbacks. Job done.

Southgate does that annoying thing Sven did which is always play one too many defensive players. It didn’t work back then (with the best, yet unbalanced, group of players we have had in recent years) and it doesn’t work now. 

Pickford

Trent, Harry, Dier, Chilwell

Winks, Hendo

Sterling, Grealish, Rashford

Kane

That’s a good attacking side (Dier has been excellent this season, so shut up!). Then tweak it depending on opposition. Playing Belgium away? Drop Grealish’s craft for Mount’s energy or drop Winks’ guile for Rice’s tackling. Just use that as the basis FFS. 

9 minutes ago, Jsavfc said:

For me Rice is overrated....just dont get it at all. So one dimensional but everyone thinks he is this awesome midfielder when clearly he is defender playing midfielder.

Its like Dier....i think is better in midfield. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Woody said:

For me Rice is overrated....just dont get it at all. So one dimensional but everyone thinks he is this awesome midfielder when clearly he is defender playing midfielder.

Its like Dier....i think is better in midfield. Just my opinion.

Dier is an excellent defender when allowed to play there.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Dier is an excellent defender when allowed to play there.

i love you and i'm not going to argue.....i value your friendship 😉